March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @dpwellman Being short didn't help there. As I fell through, I would raise up my arms so they came out on top each time.

Glacier is really nice. I've visited once and plan to go back to do the Glacier HM on June 24. Then I plan to backpack through the park for about a week or so. I've got my routes already loaded into the system so that as soon as I can apply for back-country permits (2 more days), I will be one of the first in line. I only wish the HM had been in late July or Aug. so that more back-country routes were possible and conditions would be better at some of the higher elevations. But I'm only going to make 1 trip, and I chose to combine with the HM rather than only do the backpacking.
  • ko4q
    ko4q Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    3/1 6
    3/2 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/3 8.5
    3/4 6.2 + 60' athletic conditioning
    3/5 7.5 EZ pace
    3/6 7.25
    3/7 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/8 7.3
    3/9 4.5 + 6 x strength circuits
    3/10 8.75
    3/11 6.2 + 60' athletic conditioning
    3/12 7 EZ
    3/13 7.25 with 2 x 1 miles at 10k, 4x 800m @ 5k

85/175 (wow, nearly half way there-where has March gone???)

Good run this morning even though it was like torture getting up! So glad its done, kudos to everyone who managed to get out the door in the cold & dark. I'm always impressed with the number of headlamps I see at crazy early times of the morning (or late in the evening, come to think of it.) Weekend running was great in preparation for the storm that is brewing. Not going to feel too bad about sledding tomorrow instead of running if it comes to it. For everyone in the US NE, stay warm and safe out there, this looks like is gonna be bad. [Side note, after a crap day at work on Friday, the only thing for it was a nice hard run. I did 8.75 (of my planned 10) but it was awesome and I did manage to treat myself to a relaxing salon day on saturday after all. Rocking a new haircut this morning...]
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your well wishes. I wasn't around much this weekend to comment, and now there are too many to comment on each one, but I did read them and wanted to say thanks!

@Shanaber- The dry needle therapy is definitely helping. He puts these thin, dull needles in the trigger points of you muscles. The needle poking doesn't hurt, but there is a definite deep, throbbing feeling in the muscle that is painful, but it has that kind of hurt like you can tell something good is going on, if that makes sense. The muscles "grab" the needles, and he leaves them in there until they naturally release them. He said the effect is two-fold. It helps to release the muscle, and it also stimulates healing by increasing blood flow to the muscle. I understand there is a similar technique where they can hook up some faint electric current, but my therapist does not utilize that technique.

I ran 6 miles on Saturday and it felt good. It was very cold out and my feet felt numb for most of the run. I averaged a 9:07 pace, which again is slower than normal, but better than I expected. The only thing that brought me down a little was the fact that I got progressively slower with each mile. This has never happened for me, even in long races, so it is just a bit bothersome, but I am trying not to read too much into it. I am running with an injury and I need to remind myself of that all the time. It's almost like I subconsciously think that if I start running again, it will all just disappear.

I have been having a lot of numbness in both my hands and feet lately. I experienced Reynaud's phenomenon for some time now, but it seems to be getting particularly bad. I think I need to investigate some exercises and diet tips to improve circulation. This could possibly help with the hamstring issue too. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Tonight I am going to attempt my 8 mile run after work. It is supposed to snow, so it could be interesting. I also just realized that I forgot to pack my wool socks. I may have to make a trip to the running store at lunchtime. I do not want to deal with stinging, numb toes again.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My son was sick yesterday with a slight fever and cough. Today I woke up with the same cough but thankfully no fever. I slept like garbage last night and I am feeling exhausted and sick today. Tonight's run is merely tentative at this point. We shall see how I feel later.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since yesterday went so well I had planned on doing hills today on my 1.5 mile run. I stuck with the plan despite last nights post-fitness-pizza walk. It was quite a challenge this morning but I made it anyway. Tomorrow will be a slow, easy run to see how much energy I have on Wednesday's run. Based on how that goes, I may just open up my planned 3 mile long(ish) run on Saturday to something a bit more open ended, and see where I wind up.

3/4 - 3 miles
    3/5 - 1.5 miles
    3/6 - 1.5 miles
    3/7 - 1.5 miles
    3/8 - 1.5 miles
    3/9 - 1.5 miles
    3/10 - rest
    3/11 - 3 hilly miles
    3/12 - 1.5 zippy miles
    3/13 - 1.5 hilly miles

16.5 of 38 miles total

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Anyone know of any virtual races with bling?

I've done 8 HMs and only got bling for one of them, but I think I might like to get something as a memento for the 30 km I'm planning to do on my own soon.

https://www.virtualstrides.com/races/
    http://www.virtualrunevents.com/

I am looking at a few of these. Since I can't stand running in crowds, virtual races are the way to go for me. I know the spring 10k at the Morton Arboretum near me also has a virtual option. I did their virtual 5k in the fall, so I will definitely be doing the spring race. http://www.mortonarb.org
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I get Reynaud’s but have yet to find a decent solution to it. I’ve heard cutting out caffeine helps (I get a headache within a few hours if I don’t get my coffee hit so I don’t think I can face that) but the main trigger seems to be sudden change in temperature. So for example I go from my office to our workshop to put the kettle on, come back to my desk and my fingers are numb and white. Trying to prevent that sudden change in temperature (so for example putting gloves on early) might help.
    Curiously I have never got symptoms when scuba diving in the UK, maybe it’s to do with the atmospheric pressure, maybe it’s because the entire body gets cold, or maybe I just refuse to dive when it’s less than 8 degrees C (46F)

Ps. what’s the difference between dry needle therapy and acupuncture?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Anyone know of any virtual races with bling?

I've done 8 HMs and only got bling for one of them, but I think I might like to get something as a memento for the 30 km I'm planning to do on my own soon.

Do you like pie? No, not that pie, the 3.14.... kind of pi.

https://pi5k.com/

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 - yes, I am in western Ohio. I've ran the Columbus marathon 4 or 5 times. And I love it, especially the tie into the Nationwide children champions! But I am working on marathons in all 50 states, and the MDI marathon is the same weekend.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    5.4 treadmill miles this AM, too cold outside!

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat _ As I understand it, they are somewhat similar, except that acupuncture has some spiritualistic elements associated with it, where as dry needling is just a physiological practice. My therapist said that acupuncture also concentrates on focusing the electrical impulses of the body to certain areas. In my mind, that's not that much different than what he is doing, it's just all in the way that you view your internal "energy", if you will. At any rate, I think the main thing is that insurance in the US will not pay for acupuncture as it is seen as an alternative medicine practice, so they just had to give it a more medical name!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere, and, well, I'm starting anew after fracturing my toes. Consider this a cautionary tale of why one shouldn't race down the stairs to get a snack!

exercise.png

@unparalleledAF Exactly why I always keep some upstairs! Seriously though, hope all's going well with the recovery in general and all the best with the running.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 That sounds like quite the adventure. You're much braver than I. Early morning trail runs through the spring mists that put the "smokey" in Great Smokey Mountains are more my bag these days.

@girlinahat @lporter229 I also have Raynaud's. I'd been taking magnesium for my weird cramping issue (gastrocnemius) and just a couple days ago I noticed I hadn't had bad symptoms in a while. Apparently magnesium can help people like us.