No meat to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    At the risk of catching all kinds of hell, I like raisins in cookies. :frowning:

Me too! What's an Oatmeal Raisin cookie without raisins?!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Ended up gaining weight.... Haha.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

I think that's how meat was intended to be consumed.

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

off topic but cooked bones should NOT be given to dogs, especially poultry bones,those should never be given at all. cooked bones can splinter and cause damage and even kill a dog. PS what the person said above about the bones is correct. just didnt see the post before I commented
    See:
    Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

@SierraFatToSkinny , this is completely off topic but please don't EVER feed cooked bones to your dog. Cooked bones splinter and are very dangerous to feed, regardless of the size of your dog or the bone.

I cook them until they're soft. (Which I mentioned in my original post.)

As in edible. It's very healthy and safe. I make my own dog food so my dog needs some marrow in her diet. She either gets them raw or after two days in the crockpot.

They're perfectly safe when they're soft.

They're soft enough YOU can eat them. :) They're essentially marrow bone treats.

If you have a dog you should try it! Just use a crockpot and cook them until you can tear apart a bone with your fingers. I usually do two days on low heat.

I then use the bone broth for soup bases.

sorry but Im not going to risk my dogs life either way. if you want to risk it, thats your decision.and just because I could safely eat them doesnt mean its safe for my dog. some foods that are safe for me to eat are toxic to my dogs. not worth a risk or unnecessary vet bills in my opinion.

... They're homemade dog treats.... The kibble you're feeding your dog is way worse for them than the softened bones.

It isn't a risk at all. It's nutrient dense and good for them. As long as the bones are either raw or cooked till soft.

My dog eats a 100% homemade diet and my vet not only knows, but approves. My girl has the glossiest fur in the dog park! ;)

I never thought about overcooking the bones like that. I usually de-bone first so he can have it or toss them. I will look into this! :)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For those interested! :)

Here's an example:

j7cm8lsqe8fc.jpg
    uyutqk1ymn1f.jpg

It's like a bone treat you would buy at the pet store (except even a little softer.) Notice the marrow.

It isn't sharp at all. I easily crumbled it with my fingertips.

Bone is in almost all dog foods.
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you desire just eat at deficit. If that means forgoing food that makes you overeat then so be it. Don't be racist to meat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Three words. Cinnamon oatmeal cookie.

Salivating. Not on board with the raising in cookies haters!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    *enters thread*
    *sees raisin hate*
    *backs out of thread*

(quick curtain)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Here's an example:

j7cm8lsqe8fc.jpg
    uyutqk1ymn1f.jpg

It's like a bone treat you would buy at the pet store (except even a little softer.) Notice the marrow.

not going to argue. you feed yours your way and I will feed mine my way. that is all.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

off topic but cooked bones should NOT be given to dogs, especially poultry bones,those should never be given at all. cooked bones can splinter and cause damage and even kill a dog. PS what the person said above about the bones is correct. just didnt see the post before I commented
    See:
    Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

@SierraFatToSkinny , this is completely off topic but please don't EVER feed cooked bones to your dog. Cooked bones splinter and are very dangerous to feed, regardless of the size of your dog or the bone.

As in edible. It's very healthy and safe. I make my own dog food so my dog needs some marrow in her diet. She either gets them raw or after two days in the crockpot.

They're soft enough YOU can eat them. :) They're essentially marrow bone treats.

If you have a dog you should try it! Just use a crockpot and cook them until you can tear apart a bone with your fingers. I usually do two days on low heat.

They almost feel like jelly if cooked long enough
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There should of never been a oatmeal raisin cookie... Thats a Frankenstein cookie.. a mad scientist just sewing random parts together to make a body.. someone clearly was out of chocolate chips and was desperate.. and thats how that was made.. :( Sigh

No. They're nice AF. Take your time and eat one in a relaxed environment. You'll change your mind on em.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ...It's like a bone treat you would buy at the pet store (except even a little softer.) Notice the marrow.

Does it work well with other bones besides chicken? I rarely eat poultry but end up with beef and pig bones often. I would think they are too big to boil soft?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This goes for hard bones. After bone broth is made, bone is soft/chewy so it won't splinter.. it may not be so nutritious for the dogs after most of the calcium has been boiled out, but still tasty to them, I guess. Better to grind them to a paste.

The reason why vets say no cooked bones is because of the splintering. Boiled down bones (done properly) shouldn't splinter at all. They're chewy, flexible. I'd worry if the bones were boiled with onions/garlic.

Many dog food is made with bone meal. I would feel gelled bone sparingly...if at all, due to not much nutrition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

This goes for hard bones. After bone broth is made, bone is soft/chewy so it won't splinter.. it may not be so nutritious for the dogs after most of the calcium has been boiled out, but still tasty to them, I guess.

vets say no to any cooked bones. Im going to follow that.Im not going to risk that there may be one that didnt cook down or that one may splinter.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Lol well as long as they don't have raisins...

a raisin shouldn't even be allowed in a cookie..

From Benny and Joon: "A raisin is a failed grape."

One of my all time favourite films <3. But it's humiliated grapes ;)

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0027120/quotes

Shoot - thanks, my memory's playing tricks on me. Especially since I've had that particular line in my head for years and it's been wrong all this time :'(
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Raisins in cookies??? What is this hell you speak of

Well, it depends.
    You may also find heaven, somewhere
    https://food52.com/recipes/32236-buccellati-sicilian-christmas-fig-cookies

My Nonna is from Sicily and I have NEVER had these. (She's also the worlds best cook lol) my Nonno does, although, use grapes in his vino, probably a raisins snuck in at some point, and his vino is amazing :smile:
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

See:

sorry but Im not going to risk my dogs life either way. if you want to risk it, thats your decision.and just because I could safely eat them doesnt mean its safe for my dog. some foods that are safe for me to eat are toxic to my dogs. not worth a risk or unnecessary vet bills in my opinion.

... They're homemade dog treats.... The kibble you're feeding your dog is way worse for them than the softened bones.

It isn't a risk at all. It's nutrient dense and good for them. As long as the bones are either raw or cooked till soft.

My dog eats a 100% homemade diet and my vet not only knows, but approves. My girl has the glossiest fur in the dog park! ;)

Seems like everyone else's "opinion" is more correct than yrs:-/ give yr girl a treat and a pat from me :smile: