March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 If you want to get rid of the extra part at the end of the run - I saw you also got a 400m PR from it, you can do that on the Strava website. Click on the little wrench on the activity page and then "crop" it.
    I do that all the time when I use Strava to log bike commutes. It works quite well, and that way I get rid of funny speed and distance contributions at the beginning and end (I often start the activity in my apartment, throw the phone in my backpack, get the bike out of the cellar, ride to work, and only dig out the phone and stop after carrying the bike to my office).

I had to do this the other day. It made it look like I did a 66mile hike, because I forgot to stop my TomTom, got back in my car and drove an hour down the motorway home.....

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    29/03 - 3.2 mile fast(er) paced TM run (25:19) , followed with 1 mile Interval & Biceps workout

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    Coming up:
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    50km bike ride on Monday, was feeling good despite the 20 miles on sunday, got my legs relaxed but i hit the lunch time traffic and that was annoying.

run 9miles yesterday, gorgeous day. so in the afternoon i couldn't resist and went for a 25km super relaxed bike ride. damned i should not have done it, as today i was tired for my 9 miles run. but day was gorgeous and i'm living a particular moment, so either i move or i explode.

so today I got some chains and i'm going to tie myself on the bed this afternoon. this morning was really really hot and I did suffer, i'm not used to this temperature and also the time change messed me completely up.

will clean my Bianca tonight, found a 15euros cleaning kit (that hopefully is not oing to melt the frame) tomorrow prob ride her, then friday and saturday super super relaxed short runs. rain forecasted for sunday, a rainy marathon is quite exciting to me to be fair.

i'm also hungry, not sure what to do, i eat a lot and don't want to overdo (eating 8-9k calories for me is very easy), but also i'm doing a lot and don't want to use all my carb reservoir before sunday.

Has ever happened to you that some shadows or tree trunks looked like people while running? it happens very rarely to me
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 ouch! amazon lost my summer cycling kit and i'm using my dad's one, that's 2 sizes up, you can imagine how unconfortable is down there... but just go! who cares, I had the same thought "guy got arrested as he was peeing in the middle of the road" for a while, but the discomfort was too much and I decided to relieve myself wherever possible. and since then that was the best decision!

actually i have a very sored lower lower back, where the evil pocket is, as my phone was rubbing too much on sunday, the solution will be to run without anything, and I think everyone agrees that's a bit too much :smiley:

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 ouch! amazon lost my summer cycling kit and i'm using my dad's one, that's 2 sizes up, you can imagine how unconfortable is down there... but just go! who cares, I had the same thought "guy got arrested as he was peeing in the middle of the road" for a while, but the discomfort was too much and I decided to relieve myself wherever possible. and since then that was the best decision!

actually i have a very sored lower lower back, where the evil pocket is, as my phone was rubbing too much on sunday, the solution will be to run without anything, and I think everyone agrees that's a bit too much :smiley:

Vaseline is good for the friction :D
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Joining the group. I need to get my running game going again after a fattening and lazy winter! I have WAY too many cute clothes that I cant fit into this spring and summer. I am thinking I should be able to do 60 miles of walking and running for April

Welcome!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Ouch!

@jessicalferrara Strava doesn't show calorie burn for me, so maybe that's a premium feature (and I'm too cheap for that, lol). Garmin seems to be consistent about calories with my running however, and if anything seems to have a tendency to slightly under-report.

No running for me today, as a storm blew through right during my running window. The weather sirens were going off, wind speeds were in the region of 60-70mph, and the rain/hail was lashing down, and yet when I look outside now, it's as though absolutely nothing happened. Well I guess that scuppers the idea of making it to 300 this month!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    75-minutes offroad fartlek was the intention when I left the house. However, as soon as I started running could feel the tight left calf that had come out of nowhere during yesterdays recovery jog. Didn't feel bad and thought I could outrun it, but at about 2k it went from uncomfortable to painful and no amount of stretching seemed to help so had to abandon. Didn't see it coming during my walk earlier today, but practising RICE for rest of the day and got my fingers crossed not too bad. Following last week's mini layoff I can still afford a few days off - any more than a week and I may have to abandon my May marathon :(

This also means that despite being so close, I may yet miss my monthly target again for the third month in a row :(

exercise.png
    2-Mar: 1k TM + 7.8k steady
    3-Mar: 10.1k easy
    5-Mar: 10k steady
    6-Mar: 21.2k easy
    7-Mar: 4.3k easy
    8-Mar: 12.1k fartlek (long efforts)
    9-Mar: 9.1k steady
    10-Mar: 6.6k MP
    13-Mar: 16.3k HM pace + cooldown = 17.4k
    14-Mar: 8.8k HM pace
    17-Mar: 5.3k easy
    18-Mar: 3.9k very easy
    19-Mar: 21.1k RACE [Richmond Half - HM PR @ 1:51:00 inc 5K PR @ 25:08]
    20-Mar: 2.8k easy
    21-Mar: 8.4k easy
    22-Mar: 10.9k as 4 x 10min hard/2.5 min recovery intervals (plus wu/cd)
    23-Mar > 26-Mar: Injured :disappointed:
    27-Mar: 24.5k easy
    28-Mar: 2.8k easy
    29-Mar: 2k easy (fartlek abandoned soon after warm-up :disappointed:)

Upcoming Races:
    14-May-2017: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
    9-Jul-2017: Southend Half Marathon [Unconfirmed]
    12-Aug-2017: Hadleigh Castle 10K - Hill trail race [Possible*]
    16-Sep-2017: Kew Gardens 10K [Possible]
    24-Sep-2017: Windsor Half Marathon [Possible*]
    29-Oct-2017: Thurrock 10k [Possible]
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @patrikc333 When I'm trail trunning in a forested area, I always think I'm seeing snakes when it's actually tree roots. It's even worse if I've actually seen a snake earlier in the run.

@ddmom0811 Sorry to hear about the saddle sore, but you did give me a funny visual!! Hope you get better soon!
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Sorry about your saddle sore, but got visuals now where during your commando run you have to tie your shoe laces .... or running over a Marilyn Monroe vent ... or ... loads of pictures in my head ... hope you are better before saturday
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    6.1 miles while the young'un had soccer practice. Planned on 12 but a mix up on who was picking him up made me cut it short. I'll go long tomorrow. Strava says 6.5 because I forgot to stop my Garmin at the end of the run. I can't remember that happening before.

It was a warm, sweaty run. I had forgotten how much I love being drenched in sweat after a run.

188/210 miles

@lporter229 if you were to go short because you feared failing to go 20, wouldn't you then be worried during your race because you didn't get that 20 in?

Hence my dilemma. *sigh* I tried so hard for over a year to keep it from coming down to this situation. Word of advice for anyone planning to qualify for Boston...don't pick an early race!

@MobyCarp- Thanks for the advice. I am definitely taking it into consideration. Still a little undecided on what to do. I know I can run 20 miles if I need to. I know I can run 26 miles if I need to. I guess the fact that I've done it before helps.