Really?

Options

Replies

• kellysmith410
    kellysmith410 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The internet, technology & social media make communication so different.
    You have no idea about tone of voice, body language, etc.
    some people just convey their thoughts more directly and with no fluff.
    I've learned this not only on social media but in corporate America too, with how people write emails.

You can't over analyze and take things personally- people are here to help and give you guidance, some people just communicate a little differently than you do. Don't worry too much about it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When I said"know it alls" I simply meant the posters who talk down to people's questions, I'm new here and don't know there's 8600 threads on ACV,I seen one poor guy ask and a bunch of peeps piled on him,I guess we're from all over the world and one persons way of saying things might be taken differently to someone from somewhere else, I never meant to start anything with my reply,I only meant to let OP see that she wasn't alone and try to get her to stay-that's all from me.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Kermit is the best know-it-all of them all. Ive learned so much, thank you.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Look, y'all. I HAVE no problem with feedback. Someone offering advice. Someone saying I'm not doing something right. Someone telling me a better way to go about it. All of those are okay. But there is a difference between "maybe try doing <this> to gain that nutritient you're trying to get instead of what you're trying." Vs "that's not how you do it...youre not accomplishing anything by doing it that way"

I don't see anything wrong with either.

That is literally what my co-workers tell me all the time - at work OR in the gym. It's also what I get done told on musician forums when I speak out of my *kitten* or there's a disagreement (or sometimes the other person is wrong), and I've had my share of it in nutrition discussion. I feel dumb a lot, but overall it's great!

And it is possible that i just need to learn to take everything at face value. Some people don't word things as gently as I do, so I possibly look at it negatively when it wasn't meant that way. This post wasn't intended to cause such a big stink. It was just looking for this kind of response you gave. Whether other people experience the same thing and how they handle it.

Deriving emotion from an internet post is a waste of time. It is merely text. Take the information or don't, but don't disregard information because you feel someone is being mean/nasty/whatever.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    demorelli wrote: »
    OP i get your frustration. While most people on these forums are great and give wonderful advice, there are some people who act very "know it all" and others who, without intending to, will sometimes word their posts in what could very easily come off as a "superior" tone. From what I've seen, this comes out most around controversial issues but can show up anywhere. One day it got to the point that i had an anxiety attack over it and hid in the bathroom at work to cry. It's really hard for some people (like me) to ignore people's bad attitudes. Because of personal experience, my advice would be continue to use the forums but if you start being effected by negative posts, stop checking that thread for a while, even if you started the thread. If you're feeling especially sensitive to something being posted, make a choice to not go back to it. Or once you're not feeling as upset about the comments, consider reading them over more analytically to see whether the advice, although it might be worded in a know or all tone, may still be sound advice. Occasionally I'll send someone a pm explaining how their post made me feel but asking them to clarify so i can understand the advice they were trying to give without feeling belittled by it.

Sorry for the long post. I know it can be hard navigating the forums if you're as sensitive as i am but i the knowledge and support here is worth the extra effort. Hope this helped :)

Once again, it's negative to call those that help "know it alls"..good old fashioned school yard finger pointing..

And stop deriving emotion from text where there is none. It's not the text that is the issue.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand. Aren't there people in real life who disagree with you and sometimes not in a civil manner? Don't you just ignore them in real life? I don't understand how is it any differently here. You don't like the advice ignore it and do you. No need for the billboard of meaness and the passive aggressive vague responses of know it alls. I just don't get it. Maybe because I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Once again, it's negative to call those that help "know it alls"..good old fashioned school yard finger pointing..

And stop deriving emotion from text where there is none. It's not the text that is the issue.

Some people can't do that. For example, people with some forms of anxiety have very little control over whether they read emotion into what's written. Since i am one of those people, i was suggesting a method i have found helpful in dealing with it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I've met some great people on here and had a few run ins with people I didn't get along or agree with. That happens anywhere that you have so many members and different opinions. No one will agree and get along with everyone 100% of the time.

Ive also found it is much easier to come across as rude or condescending when typing because there is no tone of voice. Things often get misinterpreted that way.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    In defense of the OP, I've seen quite a bit of the "this is my experience, and your experience is different, so your experience is wrong" mentality on this site. I've also seen the term "snowflake" thrown around when someone's opinion or experience differs from their own, and quite frankly that incredibly rude and disrespectful. I've seen fat shaming and micro-aggressive comments being thrown without anyone calling the offender out on their behavior. There are also some really smart people on here that may have great information, but deliver it in a condescending way and really like to argue.

With that said, this is the internet and everyone is free to have their opinion. There are also a TON of really smart, well-intentioned people who have great advice and truly want to help. More often than not, when people ask you hard questions or challenge your point of view it's to help you think about the situation differently or consider alternative solutions. Weight loss isn't easy for anyone, and most of the people with good advice tried and failed at several methods before finding success (myself included), so sometimes when people seem to 'know it all' it's because they've traveled down your road, and many other roads, before they got to where they are.

My advice, if you don't like someone's comments and you feel are being condescending and or argumentative, or simply not helpful, don't engage. It takes two to tango. Just move on, engage with people you find helpful and supportive, and (most importantly) keep an open mind so you can learn.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Look, y'all. I HAVE no problem with feedback. Someone offering advice. Someone saying I'm not doing something right. Someone telling me a better way to go about it. All of those are okay. But there is a difference between "maybe try doing <this> to gain that nutritient you're trying to get instead of what you're trying." Vs "that's not how you do it...youre not accomplishing anything by doing it that way"

I don't see anything wrong with either.

That is literally what my co-workers tell me all the time - at work OR in the gym (and it's really the only answer to any of the myriad of things I do that are objectively just wrong). It's also what I get done told on musician forums when I speak out of my *kitten* or there's a disagreement (or sometimes the other person is wrong), it's what other musicians tell me sometimes speaking out of their butt and sometimes not, and I've had my share of it in nutrition discussion. I feel dumb a lot, but overall it's great!

If I'm eating 6 times a day to speed up my metabolism and for no other reason, and somebody who KNOWS that's nonsense coaches it in maybes or whatevers or gentle suggestions whispered into my ear instead of directly stating "that's not how you do it...youre not accomplishing anything by doing it that way", they are doing me a great disservice.

I'm really liking you! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I came to this forum for support on my weight loss journey and I found a lot of that. But there are a few people on here that are very strong in their belief that they know everything and they talk down to you and manage to make you feel about 2 inches tall and dumb. I'm seriously considering removing MFP because I only use it for the support and community. But I can't even post on here without someone jumping in knowing everything and making me feel stupid for asking questions.
    Is anyone else having this problem on this forum or is it just me?

If you wait long enough, some of those users are banned. ;)

There are some folks around here who rub me the wrong way. I know my posts irritate some others. I use the ignore button on them, but I've been around long enough to anticipate whose posts I don't want to read. Otherwise all you can do is put up with it or leave. Frustratingly it isn't like the real world where I can exclude those people from my life. They have access to everything I have access to here. No avoiding them.

Sometimes private groups, or just specific topic groups, are better for limiting contact with those who feel it is their way or the highway. Conversely that works for others who dislike what I have to say on nutrition. Most of my posts are not on the main boards. KWIM?

Good luck.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    When I said"know it alls" I simply meant the posters who talk down to people's questions, I'm new here and don't know there's 8600 threads on ACV,I seen one poor guy ask and a bunch of peeps piled on him,I guess we're from all over the world and one persons way of saying things might be taken differently to someone from somewhere else, I never meant to start anything with my reply,I only meant to let OP see that she wasn't alone and try to get her to stay-that's all from me.

There's a search option towards the top of the forums, really comes in handy.