Really?

Replies

• TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    It's the internet, people will agree, disagree it happens. No one I'm sure is being 'mean' on purpose. A lot of people on here have opinions just ignore it if your not happy
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    In defense of the OP, I've seen quite a bit of the "this is my experience, and your experience is different, so your experience is wrong" mentality on this site. I've also seen the term "snowflake" thrown around when someone's opinion or experience differs from their own, and quite frankly that incredibly rude and disrespectful. .

I have NEVER seen anyone say, or even imply, that if someone's experience is different from theirs, then it's wrong, UNLESS.....that person claims that their body defies the laws of physics, and that they're not doing ANYTHING wrong and they just CAN'T lose weight because they have some indefinable something that makes it IMPOSSIBLE for them to do so. Well, then, they are in denial and they kind of are acting like a snowflake.

I agree that if someone is in blatant denial, for example, "I'm only eating 700 calories a day, I'm afraid of gaining weight, and I weigh 80lbs but I am NOT anorexic" or "I'm only eating 1200 calories but I don't own measuring spoons or cups or a scale", then yes, they are wrong.

I have personally had people tell me I'm wrong because their experience differed from mine. Example: I gained 15lbs of water weight in less than a month when I had a Mirena IUD, held that weight for 4 months, then lost it in two weeks when it was removed. Not fat, water, and enough that my clothes didn't fit. User X says "I have a Mirena was able to lose weight and birth control doesn't cause weight gain" or user Y says "I didn't gain weight from mine, you're just eating too much". Water weight is weight; weight that caused me to buy bigger clothes, weight that didn't go away over time, and weight went away when Mirena was removed. It's not the norm, but it was my experience, and in this case yes, I am different and I was not wrong.

Not to mention that "snowflake" not only is a politically derogatory term, it is also a racially derogatory term in the vein of "cracker" or "honky" and offensive.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2017
    Not to mention that "snowflake" not only is a politically derogatory term, it is also a racially derogatory term in the vein of "cracker" or "honky" and offensive.

When used here, snowflake just means "super duper special" or "one of a kind", as in "no two snowflakes are alike".

But I understand your point.
  • crooked_left_hook

When used here, snowflake just means "super duper special" or "one of a kind", as in "no two snowflakes are alike".

But I understand your point.

I figured that out, but the first time I encountered the term on MPF I was new and it was directed at me, I didn't know that, and I was pissed, my hackles went up and I got argumentative and stopped listening.

We need to keep nuances like this in mind when replying to new posters. The delivery of a message is often as important as the message itself.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

Can you explain how it is "racially derogatory", I've never ever encountered it's use as such.

I've seen it aptly used across socioeconomic classes and political affiliations. I'd say it's derogatory about the character of the target, that's it.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Theo166 wrote: »

Can you explain how it is "racially derogatory", I've never ever encountered it's use as such.

I've seen it aptly used across socioeconomic classes and political affiliations. I'd say it's derogatory about the character of the target, that's it.

I would think it is obvious. I serve on a few diversity & inclusion committees, and I've also lived in several predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods in NYC, MI, and OH and I can assure that it a racially derogatory term for a white person.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    There are a few around that aren't as supportive of others but, for the most part this is a good community with a lot of support. The only other similar app to this that I have found is MyPlate. There, unless you are low carb you will be shot down in flames because you eat a banana.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    There are a few around that aren't as supportive of others but, for the most part this is a good community with a lot of support. The only other similar app to this that I have found is MyPlate. There, unless you are low carb you will be shot down in flames because you eat a banana.

This makes me want to join MyPlate just to troll about how I lost a gazillion pounds on the Banana and Pizza dough diet. :)

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I know what you mean. I eat Keto and I get attacked all the time. I've even had inboxes from carb lovers telling me that Keto is stupid and restrictive and has no benefit whatsoever and I'm stupid and naïve for telling people that it works. And I'd just like to point out that there are some "dieticians" and "personal trainers" on here that don't know everything. But they still try to bully people into subscribing to their point of view. I would say that my 4+ years of eating Keto, plus all of the research I've done qualify me at least as much as them to share my opinion and experience.

The thing to remember is that it's just strangers on the internet. The internet brings out the worst in people and many behave in a way that they wouldn't have the guts to in real life. That is their failing, not yours. Plus a bit of healthy debate is a good thing, even if they're wrong. I put it down to being hangry all the time due to their high carb diets.
  • rparkerslim
    rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
    Wow! I stopped reading this forum about half way through! If you felt bad when you wrote this post, I know you felt horrible when you finished reading the responses (if you finished). Some of you acted like lions waiting on some poor little lamb to bleat so you could pounce! And, don't worry, I'm not coming back to read your responses to this! I can feel bad all by myself; I don't need your help!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I looked but couldn't find the community. Would mind linking me? Just for fun!