Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I have noticed a few posts here that people are annoyed when people sit on a machine between sets.

Is that so bad?

So they do set 3 of 5, do you then expect them to get up and wipe down the machine so someone else can do one set? They they get back on to do set 4 of 5?

Or is this aimed at people who sit for 5 mins between sets?

It's sitting there for minutes on end looking at their phone oblivious to anything and anyone else around them.

When I train, I do a set and either step back to see if anyone needs to work-in (when the gym is busy) or I will do another set somewhere else and then come back to it.

The only thing that really chaffs me is when someone takes 5 minutes between sets and refuses to let others work-in when the gym is crowded, which is often.

5 minutes between sets is unnecessary. 2 minutes max max max and you should probably fake an injury with that kind of time.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I have noticed a few posts here that people are annoyed when people sit on a machine between sets.

Is that so bad?

So they do set 3 of 5, do you then expect them to get up and wipe down the machine so someone else can do one set? They they get back on to do set 4 of 5?

It's sitting there for minutes on end looking at their phone oblivious to anything and anyone else around them.

When I train, I do a set and either step back to see if anyone needs to work-in (when the gym is busy) or I will do another set somewhere else and then come back to it.

The only thing that really chaffs me is when someone takes 5 minutes between sets and refuses to let others work-in when the gym is crowded, which is often.

5 minutes between sets is unnecessary. 2 minutes max max max and you should probably fake an injury with that kind of time.

I fake all of my injuries at home, never at the gym.....

I see folks with their nose to their smartphone, texting away.... time might slip away as they are engaged with their texting.

they can take as long as they want between sets if they are aware that others might need to work-in; that's all
  • amiraammora
    amiraammora Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    People who sitting on work out machine :/ and don't using it
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    People who talk LOUDLY on the phone while on the treadmill next to me

People who don't wipe down their machines (particularly when they obviously sweat all over it...)
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    People who will make a point of grunting loudly from rep 1. Leans on my last nerve lol
  • _dancefloordevil_
    _dancefloordevil_ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The exaggerated grunter
  • MichelleGetsFitForLife
    Options
    When they hog the cable machine
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Is that so bad?

People who stay for a long time 5mins. Some stay longer. I have a break of 30-45sec before my next set. Max 1 min depending on the weight. Keep time under tension. Few sets and I move on. Sadly people be texting, not actually timing their set. One guy said he's having a break.
  • MichelleGetsFitForLife
    Options
    When they hog the cable machine

There was a guy who tried to tell me the other day he was using BOTH cable machines at the same time.

He was using one and had the other one rigged up.

Him (while doing chest flies in one): "Hey bro I'm on that right now."

Me: "No you're not."

Yeah it was a d!ck move on my part but cable machines are valuable real estate. You get ONE at a time unless you are the gym owner. End of discussion.

Yeah, it's obnoxious
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Carillon_Campanello
    "5 minutes between sets is unnecessary. 2 minutes max max max and you should probably fake an injury with that kind of time."

You've obviously never trained as a competitive powerlifter. Maximum effort to failure with 1 -3 rep maximums requires more than 2 minutes. I won't even get into the "retarded" reference. Really?

I've taken 15 minutes and pee breaks.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Carillon_Campanello
    "5 minutes between sets is unnecessary. 2 minutes max max max and you should probably fake an injury with that kind of time."

You've obviously never trained as a competitive powerlifter. Maximum effort to failure with 1 -3 rep maximums requires more than 2 minutes. I won't even get into the "retarded" reference. Really?

I'm not there ATM, but it's a goal, and I'm a reader, and a planner.

It's still a ways off, but some of the literature talks about 10 minute rest periods during certain training phases.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Know it alls and show offs.

There is a guy at my gym in his 40s who watches everyone and corrects them. He's trying to be helpful, but he comes across as a douche. It comical when he sees an attractive woman come in because he gets on the pull up bar and starts doing these obnoxious moves trying to show off.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    gainzdg wrote: »
    Eating fried chicken between sets.

I only eat fried chicken at the gym during my sets.

I don't use a spotter, I use a feeder.

*gets down on one knee*
    Will you be my workout partner?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    gainzdg wrote: »
    Eating fried chicken between sets.

dipping sauce?