Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If anything, I'd imagine that being distracted with a baby should leave less time for one of the big contributors to obesity: boredom eating. Hell, when I'm really busy with something (even video games) I can forget to eat for an entire day.
    The worst time for me to eat enough quality food to fuel my workouts are on weekends when I don't lift and my schedule isn't set in stone like on the weekdays.

It does not take extra time to NOT eat something, no matter how many kids or other distractions / responsibilities you have.
    It just takes discipline.

Exercise helps to take the weight off and build muscle but you can lose a pound each week on average by simply not eating what you don't need.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Well this descended into a battle of the sexes quickly.

Considering that there aren't many males involved at this point, I'm not sure how.
  • cqbkaju
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bad edit
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Golbat wrote: »
    I never said you'd gain 70 pounds. I said some of that weight is the baby, and some is fluids from the pregnancy. There is still a noticeable weight gain, and it can be hard to take off quickly when you are the main caretaker for a baby.

If anything, I'd imagine that being distracted with a baby should leave less time for one of the big contributors to obesity: boredom eating. Hell, when I'm really busy with something (even video games) I can forget to eat for an entire day.

It's actually pretty easy for me to forget to eat when I'm busy with anything whether it's a video game, going out and doing something, working on the house/yard, washing the car, coding, or pretty much anything that doesn't involve sitting around idle, and I don't snack at all. I'm more likely to glance at my watch while doing yard work and note that it is nearly lunch time, decide to just wait until I've finished up the mowing and raking, and suddenly its four hours later.
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I think there are three of us in the whole thread. LOL

You, Gallowmere, and who?
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Well this descended into a battle of the sexes quickly.

Considering that there aren't many males involved at this point, I'm not sure how.

I think there are three guys in the whole thread. LOL
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    I never said you'd gain 70 pounds. I said some of that weight is the baby, and some is fluids from the pregnancy. There is still a noticeable weight gain, and it can be hard to take off quickly when you are the main caretaker for a baby.

It's actually pretty easy for me to forget to eat when I'm busy with anything whether it's a video game, going out and doing something, working on the house/yard, washing the car, coding, or pretty much anything that doesn't involve sitting around idle, and I don't snack at all. I'm more likely to glance at my watch while doing yard work and note that it is nearly lunch time, decide to just wait until I've finished up the mowing and raking, and suddenly its four hours later.
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I think there are three of us in the whole thread. LOL

You, Gallowmere, and who?
    @CSARdiver makes three, I think
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

It comes down to prioritizing your day. I've been there with juggling baby, school, husband, managing a house, bills, etc... It's easy to get lost in the routine of things. You put one baby down to sleep and the other one is crying. You seem like you have no time for yourself. Everyone needs come before yourself. You get exhausted quick, and no extra energy to do much else. But once you make getting git and healthy a priority, it will always get lost in the daily hustle of life. You got to MAKE IT HAPPEN.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I'm sure it works that way for some new moms. Probably would for me - I tend to quit eating when stressed.

Others struggle with raging hunger from hormones, and/or stress eating, and/or feel the need eat to help with the pervasive exhaustion. In addition, the ability to regulate one's eating habits is much more difficult when you are sleep deprived, which many new moms are. And that's just considering healthy new moms and babies, no significant complications.

A new baby (really, any stressful situation) can either be a boon or a hindrance when it comes to controlling eating habits.

I'll not go into too much detail to avoid degrading my ex-wife, but let's just say that other than the hormones, I know exactly what you are talking about. However, I did exactly what one would expect, and lost a buttload of weight during the first six months of a child's life.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    Feels like the battle of Thermopylae. Eat hearty lads for tonight we dine in Hell.

Now I want gyros.

• drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is the bickering over and the thread back on topic?

mmm gyro.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

mmm gyro.

I think everyone needed recess after that one. I thought pregnant women were off limits....but I guess not.
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    They should be even less off limits than anyone else. Their crappy choices could be endangering a life other than their own.
    ^ This +1000

@Gallowmere1984 wins all of the stuff.

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »

mmm gyro.

I think everyone needed recess after that one. I thought pregnant women were off limits....but I guess not.

They should be even less off limits than anyone else. Their crappy choices could be endangering a life other than their own.

I agree.... But if you and your spouse decide to broaden your family...and she takes her body through those changes to bring a life into this world and she is getting bytched at because she gains weight. WTF? Allow the woman to settle in and get her bearings. The first thing that comes out of a S.O. mouth shouldn't be to lose weight. Geez.

Not "gains weight".

Gains more than is medically reasonable to gain. There's a difference.