Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever resurrected while you were working on them?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    What's the oldest coin you've placed on someone's eyes?
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    have you ever poured liquor on a gravesite?

pouring-out-liquor.gif

Can't say I've done either one of those. I had a a few families put coins over the eyes and pour liqour or beer on a grave. They usually offer me a drink and I tell them "No thanks, I'm driving. "
    Anyone ever mic drop over a casket?

Not yet. Would you like for me to make sure this happens at your funeral?
    Has anyone ever resurrected while you were working on them?

Nah, I'm not like the guy from the show Pushing Daises.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Seeing it all the time, are you now numb to death even it were to happen to someone close to you? And if it was a family member, could you do the service yourself or pass it over?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No, I'm not numb to it at all. Actually, it hits me like a ton of bricks when I lose someone I love because I'm used to seeing it happen to everyone else. It will be extremely hard, but I want to take care of my family when the time comes. If I was a plumber I wouldn't call someone else to fix a busted pipe, I'd take care of it myself.

So I'm gonna ask - how do you reconcile this with your earlier statement about who wants to see their grandmother naked and handle the preparation of their own family? Is the difference that you're already skilled in the task and would therefore be mentally able to handle it?

I'm used to it, I've seen so many people naked it wouldn't phase me. It would bother me to see a family member who has been autopsied. It would be very hard, but I would regret not taking care of them myself.

I worked in an ER for three years and naked people are just like "meh" now.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I've recently become aware of a company that offers composting of human remains. They bought a plot of land, and bury the remains under existing trees, but they still can only accomodate a small percentage of people. I have not really looked into it yet, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Another was an article about liquid cremation, I think the places that offer that are here in Florida. . . I guess it follows the supply and demand economic model, we have so many people in need of these services here.

Have you heard of either of these?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Hydrolysis is basically boiling the body instead of burning it. It isnt legal in my state. I don't know anything about human composting.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Hydrolysis is basically boiling the body instead of burning it. It isnt legal in my state. I don't know anything about human composting.

I used the wrong term, it's called conservation burial.

From the website: "What is Conservation Burial?

Natural (or “green”) burial is a safe and legal burial practice that uses biodegradable containers and avoids embalming fluids and vaults. Conservation burial goes a step further to commit burial fees to pay for land acquisition, protection, restoration, and management.

Not only does conservation burial help protect land, but the burial area becomes hallowed ground, restored to its natural condition and protected forever with a conservation easement. Native plants beautify the burial sites. Citizens who support conservation are offered a more meaningful burial option with the certainty that protected land is the ultimate legacy to leave for future generations. Families and friends are brought closer to nature in the commemoration of their loved one’s life."
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Has your work as a mortician affected your philosophical outlook on life?

I have previously struggled with the though of death for myself and those that I love. I feel like I have come to a certain peace with the way things are, although I still find the nature of life somewhat malevolent...I can accept my own place as part of it as I myself can be malevolent and not entirely peaceful.

Do you think much about existentialism? I was a philosophy major in school...I'm now a programmer, although it's a topic I often revisit mentally...often forced or prompted through the death of a loved one. I have been a lifelong reader of philosophical and religious works, and the topic of death is fairly described as universal to the human experience.

I don't mean to ramble...but the topic of existentialism isn't particularly well defined. I suppose I would ask, has working with the dead changed your idea about the nature of what you are as a 'self'...and if so, how?

In any case, I hope you have a wonderful afternoon.

:D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »

I used the wrong term, it's called conservation burial.

From the website: "What is Conservation Burial?

Natural (or “green”) burial is a safe and legal burial practice that uses biodegradable containers and avoids embalming fluids and vaults. Conservation burial goes a step further to commit burial fees to pay for land acquisition, protection, restoration, and management.

Not only does conservation burial help protect land, but the burial area becomes hallowed ground, restored to its natural condition and protected forever with a conservation easement. Native plants beautify the burial sites. Citizens who support conservation are offered a more meaningful burial option with the certainty that protected land is the ultimate legacy to leave for future generations. Families and friends are brought closer to nature in the commemoration of their loved one’s life."

Screw that.

Shoot my ashes from a cannon.

Go out with a bang.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi @LittleHearseDriver I have 2 questions.
    1.) once rigor Mortis sets in is it perminant? Or is it temporary ?
    2.) is it true that if someone has a pacemaker it needs to be removed prior to cremation otherwise it will blow up?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver , you are very attractive. So my question is this:

Has a man (or woman) who is burying their spouse ever hit on you at the service?

"Not sure if you're doing anything tonight but I'm free as soon as we're done here"
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options

Has a man (or woman) who is burying their spouse ever hit on you at the service?

"Not sure if you're doing anything tonight but I'm free as soon as we're done here"

That's a great question....

Afterall, time is fleeting and who wants to live in the past?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

That's a great question....

Afterall, time is fleeting and who wants to live in the past?

Exactly!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

I have received some questionable hugs, but I haven't had a spouse hit on me. A lady's son gave me his card and told me to call him if I'm ever in Denver. He said he'd like to take me out to dinner. I couldnt tell if he was just being nice or hitting on me because he was in his 50s.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

On slow boil I'd make a hell of a good stew.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Have you ever grabbed something from your "dead room" and almost eat it by mistake?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png