Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    https://cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

After I got off of all sweeteners it does not taste good to me but this is from the ACS on the subject.

And what is your interpretation of this article? What conclusions have you drawn from it?

I just took it at face value.

Excellent. Since the conclusion is largely the same as the title of this thread "Aspartame Isn't Scary" and that aside from a very specific diagnosed medical condition (PKU), then there are no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame.

The article did not say there were no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame as I read it. It said something like data about health concerns over aspartame were not consistent.

epilepsy.com/connect/forums/women-epilepsy/aspartame-poisioning-linked-lupus-fibromyalgia-ms-and-seizures

"For 16 years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame. In fact, the FDA’s own toxicologist told Congress that: “Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment, which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause cancer.” — FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross"

I think the question marks about Aspartame being safe for all groups of humans have not been clearly answered by science to the satisfaction of all consumers. While I can not speak for others drinks containing aspartame caused me some discomfort back when I still consumed it. That is in no way proof it is safe or not safe for others. We are all different.

Having aspartame cause you "some discomfort" does not equate in any manner to whether or not a product is safe to consume - for you or anyone else. It just shows that for you, the product didn't agree with you for whatever reason. :)

Very true. It is the science folks concerns about the safety of humans consuming aspartame that concerns me more that what consumers may or may not say.

The "science folks" don't have concerns.

What about the 20+ science folks at the bottom of the article below:

janethull.com/healthynews/blog/2015/03/dont-be-sold-a-can-of-diet-propaganda/

I think aspartame breaking down inside of the body to form formaldehyde is my top health risk concern in my case

https://fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000196.txt

"I would like to clear up a few issues related to the aspartame issue. The
    evidence related to toxicity of aspartame is found primarily in three
    areas:

1. Formaldehyde Exposure. The formaldehyde exposure from aspartame
    is significant. Aspartame breaks down into methanol, amino acids
    and several other chemicals. The methanol is quickly absorbed and
    converted into formaldehyde. The methanol found in foods and
    alcoholic beverages is also absorbed, but there are "protective
    chemicals" in these traditionally-ingested foods and beverages that
    prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is known to cause gradual damage to the nervous system,
    the immune system and has recently been shown to cause irreversible
    genetic damage at long-term, low-level exposure.......

2. Independent research finds problems with aspartame. An analysis of peer
    reviewed medical literature using MEDLINE and other databases was
    conducted by Ralph G. Walton, MD, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral
    Medicine, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Northeastern Ohio
    Universities College of Medicine. Dr. Walton analyzed 164 studies which
    were felt to have relevance to human safety questions. Of the 90
    non-industry-sponsored (independent) studies, 83 (92%) identified one
    or more problems with aspartame. Of the 74 aspartame industry-sponsored
    studies, all 74 (100%) claimed that no problems were found with
    aspartame.

3. Extremely large number of reported toxicity reactions to aspartame.
    As of 1995 when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was quoted
    as saying they stopped accepting adverse reaction reports on aspartame,
    over 75% of the adverse reactions reported to the FDA Adverse Reaction
    Monitoring System (ARMS) were due to aspartame. Afte considering the
    fact that an extremely low percentage of adverse reactions are reported
    to the FDA, it becomes clear that there are millions of known cases of
    aspartame toxicity reactions and possibly many other cases where the
    person ingesting aspartame is either 1) unaware that their symptoms
    are caused or contributed to by aspartame; or 2) not yet experiencing
    clinically-obvious symptoms from the breakdown products of aspartame,
    but may eventually experience chronic health problems from the regular
    exposure to significant doses of formaldehyde.

Some of the many aspartame toxicity symptoms reported include seizures,
    headaches, memory loss, tremors, convulsions, vision loss, nausea,
    dizziness, conufsion, depression, irritability, anxiety attacks,
    personality changes, heart palpitationns, chest pains, skin diseases,
    loss of blood sugar control, arthritic symptoms, weight gain (in some
    cases), fluid retention, excessive thirst or urination. Clearly,
    regular exposure to a toxic substance such as formaldehyde may
    worsen, or in some cases contribute to the development of chronic
    diseases........."
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Gale:
    Issue 1: Formaldehyde formation has already been addressed multiple times in this thread - drinking fruit juice or eating fruit has the same result - should we then give up fruit and juice?

Issue 2: where are the studies that they are quoting from (I would like to see them and see how they came to their conclusions).

As for issue 3 that you report - sure, there are lots of reports to the FDA about how aspartame is causing problems - the vast majority of which are self reported and not verified by a Dr or anybody else (like Joe Blow on the street saying I gave up xxxx and magically all of my problems in life were cured).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    https://cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

After I got off of all sweeteners it does not taste good to me but this is from the ACS on the subject.

And what is your interpretation of this article? What conclusions have you drawn from it?

I just took it at face value.

Excellent. Since the conclusion is largely the same as the title of this thread "Aspartame Isn't Scary" and that aside from a very specific diagnosed medical condition (PKU), then there are no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame.

The article did not say there were no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame as I read it. It said something like data about health concerns over aspartame were not consistent.

epilepsy.com/connect/forums/women-epilepsy/aspartame-poisioning-linked-lupus-fibromyalgia-ms-and-seizures

"For 16 years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame. In fact, the FDA’s own toxicologist told Congress that: “Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment, which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause cancer.” — FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross"

I think the question marks about Aspartame being safe for all groups of humans have not been clearly answered by science to the satisfaction of all consumers. While I can not speak for others drinks containing aspartame caused me some discomfort back when I still consumed it. That is in no way proof it is safe or not safe for others. We are all different.

Having aspartame cause you "some discomfort" does not equate in any manner to whether or not a product is safe to consume - for you or anyone else. It just shows that for you, the product didn't agree with you for whatever reason. :)

Very true. It is the science folks concerns about the safety of humans consuming aspartame that concerns me more that what consumers may or may not say.

The "science folks" don't have concerns.

What about the 20+ science folks at the bottom of the article below:

janethull.com/healthynews/blog/2015/03/dont-be-sold-a-can-of-diet-propaganda/

I think aspartame breaking down inside of the body to form formaldehyde is my top health risk concern in my case

https://fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012203/02P-0317_emc-000196.txt

"I would like to clear up a few issues related to the aspartame issue. The
    evidence related to toxicity of aspartame is found primarily in three
    areas:

1. Formaldehyde Exposure. The formaldehyde exposure from aspartame
    is significant. Aspartame breaks down into methanol, amino acids
    and several other chemicals. The methanol is quickly absorbed and
    converted into formaldehyde. The methanol found in foods and
    alcoholic beverages is also absorbed, but there are "protective
    chemicals" in these traditionally-ingested foods and beverages that
    prevent the conversion of methanol to formaldehyde.

Formaldehyde is known to cause gradual damage to the nervous system,
    the immune system and has recently been shown to cause irreversible
    genetic damage at long-term, low-level exposure.......

2. Independent research finds problems with aspartame. An analysis of peer
    reviewed medical literature using MEDLINE and other databases was
    conducted by Ralph G. Walton, MD, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral
    Medicine, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, Northeastern Ohio
    Universities College of Medicine. Dr. Walton analyzed 164 studies which
    were felt to have relevance to human safety questions. Of the 90
    non-industry-sponsored (independent) studies, 83 (92%) identified one
    or more problems with aspartame. Of the 74 aspartame industry-sponsored
    studies, all 74 (100%) claimed that no problems were found with
    aspartame.

3. Extremely large number of reported toxicity reactions to aspartame.
    As of 1995 when the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) was quoted
    as saying they stopped accepting adverse reaction reports on aspartame,
    over 75% of the adverse reactions reported to the FDA Adverse Reaction
    Monitoring System (ARMS) were due to aspartame. Afte considering the
    fact that an extremely low percentage of adverse reactions are reported
    to the FDA, it becomes clear that there are millions of known cases of
    aspartame toxicity reactions and possibly many other cases where the
    person ingesting aspartame is either 1) unaware that their symptoms
    are caused or contributed to by aspartame; or 2) not yet experiencing
    clinically-obvious symptoms from the breakdown products of aspartame,
    but may eventually experience chronic health problems from the regular
    exposure to significant doses of formaldehyde.

Some of the many aspartame toxicity symptoms reported include seizures,
    headaches, memory loss, tremors, convulsions, vision loss, nausea,
    dizziness, conufsion, depression, irritability, anxiety attacks,
    personality changes, heart palpitationns, chest pains, skin diseases,
    loss of blood sugar control, arthritic symptoms, weight gain (in some
    cases), fluid retention, excessive thirst or urination. Clearly,
    regular exposure to a toxic substance such as formaldehyde may
    worsen, or in some cases contribute to the development of chronic
    diseases........."

You may start drinking it again, the idea that the amount of methanol/formaldehyde as a result of aspartame metabolism is "significant" is an outright lie.

http://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?cat=4089
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It wouldn't be on sale if it was bad for us. Oh wait, they sell tobacco, alcohol and a trillion other products that are bad for us. Consumed in high amounts everything is bad for us. I think that's what I'm taking away from this. I often wonder if I'm better just putting plain old sugar in my tea. At least I know where I stand with that, been around for years and....oh wait i heard that causes cancer as well. Maybe just everything in moderation and it's ok. But why risk it ? But the fact is we do. We are bombarded with stuff almost on the daily. End up not knowing who to believe

Do you drive a car? If so, you are at a higher risk of death than the increased risk of drinking or consuming aspartame. To increase the risk of issues from aspartame, you would have to drink 17 two liter bottles a day.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be on sale if it was bad for us. Oh wait, they sell tobacco, alcohol and a trillion other products that are bad for us. Consumed in high amounts everything is bad for us. I think that's what I'm taking away from this. I often wonder if I'm better just putting plain old sugar in my tea. At least I know where I stand with that, been around for years and....oh wait i heard that causes cancer as well. Maybe just everything in moderation and it's ok. But why risk it ? But the fact is we do. We are bombarded with stuff almost on the daily. End up not knowing who to believe

Well you could start with the original post, written by a biochemist who has studied this compound extensively and took a lot of time to patiently explain the science in not terribly scientific terms so that laypeople can understand it a little better. Or you could check out this link that Gale posted above which I thought was very helpful at assuaging any concerns that a person might have.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well you could start with the original post, written by a biochemist who has studied this compound extensively and took a lot of time to patiently explain the science in not terribly scientific terms so that laypeople can understand it a little better. Or you could check out this link that Gale posted above which I thought was very helpful at assuaging any concerns that a person might have.

Thanks, I do try to read as much as I can. Reading about cancer isn't something I want to do lol. I know, there is much more educated people than me on the subject, I just tend to go with my gut. Who knows, tomorrow asparatme or whatever it's called, probably will be bad for us ! It happens with products all the time who's to say this is any different

At this point, after 40 years of research, it's probably safe to say that aspartame is safe for consumption. What is largely more important is getting adequate nutrients, getting into a healthy weight and exercising. Aside from genetics, those are the most effective ways to prevent health issues.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Thanks, I do try to read as much as I can. Reading about cancer isn't something I want to do lol. I know, there is much more educated people than me on the subject, I just tend to go with my gut. Who knows, tomorrow asparatme or whatever it's called, probably will be bad for us ! It happens with products all the time who's to say this is any different

At this point, after 40 years of research, it's probably safe to say that aspartame is safe for consumption. What is largely more important is getting adequate nutrients, getting into a healthy weight and exercising. Aside from genetics, those are the most effective ways to prevent health issues.

I agree. Didn't know there was 40 years research. It's just difficult accepting new things especially when they are from a scientific view point. Fear of the unknown.

This is why our emotions can be a dangerous guide to decision-making.

It's hard to keep our emotions out of things (probably impossible for most of us to do it 100%), but fear is a terrible guide in life.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I addressed the concern about formaldehyde in my original post. Quite simply you would get much more formaldehyde from the breakdown of methanol from a glass or grapefruit juice (or any other fruit juice for that matter) than you would from a liter of diet coke. So unless you avoid fruit juice for the same reason I have to question if the levels of methanol content (and from that formaldehyde) are truly a concern.