True Confessions - Don't Judge

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    I also spent an hour at Lowes over the weekend. I went in just to get some potting soil and a new house plant.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I confess I am clueless when it comes to most DIY... though I'd like to learn. I've always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that comes with making or fixing something on my own.

DIY is a lot of trail and error. Practice makes perfect, don't let it discourage you :)
  • browneyedgirl749
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    I confess I am clueless when it comes to most DIY... though I'd like to learn. I've always enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that comes with making or fixing something on my own.

It is silly, but when I fix things in my house without anyone's help I feel very confident. Like I am capable of doing anything. It might have just been a toilet that day, but makes me feel like I can take on the world.... or at least survive it

I feel the same way! I replaced my entire kitchen faucet and added a sprayer. I fixed a dripping bathroom faucet and a dripping tub faucet. I felt like I could rule the world!! Who needs a man to do *kitten*. LOL
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    It is silly, but when I fix things in my house without anyone's help I feel very confident. Like I am capable of doing anything. It might have just been a toilet that day, but makes me feel like I can take on the world.... or at least survive it

Not silly at all, and I am working to instill that feeling/understanding for both my boys. I have them working on a lot of stuff around the house with me so they learn very valuable life skills. Not just in being able to do the work, but how they save money doing it and how to plan and accomplish projects.

• browneyedgirl749
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Not silly at all, and I am working to instill that feeling/understanding for both my boys. I have them working on a lot of stuff around the house with me so they learn very valuable life skills. Not just in being able to do the work, but how they save money doing it and how to plan and accomplish projects.

I didn't have that growing up, and I was in a house full of males. Today, I have YouTube!!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    I baked a Carrot Spice cake for my step-mother's birthday - I licked the bowl.
    before or after you poured the batter into the cake pan?

• _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member

This is a great lesson for kids to learn. I wish more parents did this.
  • _dixiana_
    Speaking of DIY, I want to pain my entire house. The colors were wrong when they built it and never got fixed.
    I only ever repainted the kids rooms. And I hate the color of every other room. I hate painting and will probably keep putting it off

I confess I hate painting too. I put off repainting my daughter's room for 2 YEARS because I couldn't stand the thought of it. And even though it took ALL DANG DAY, I felt so accomplished afterwards and she was happy so that in turn made me happy.

In short, just do it. The sense of accomplishment and feeling of newness afterwards is worth it.
  • kittkat789
    kittkat789 Posts: 111 Member
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    Speaking of DIY, I want to pain my entire house. The colors were wrong when they built it and never got fixed.
    I only ever repainted the kids rooms. And I hate the color of every other room. I hate painting and will probably keep putting it off

I confess I hate painting too. I put off repainting my daughter's room for 2 YEARS because I couldn't stand the thought of it. And even though it took ALL DANG DAY, I felt so accomplished afterwards and she was happy so that in turn made me happy.

In short, just do it. The sense of accomplishment and feeling of newness afterwards is worth it.

I really should. At least the master bedroom and bathroom right now. I could use the sense of accomplishment right now and the something new in there. Maybe that's what I will work on this weekend!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Because I figured I would own a house someday... I sought work as a "builder"... Given my chosen occupation was somewhat seasonal, I found work in the off season as a House framer, Carpenter, Cabinetmaker, Roofer, siding installer, Landscaper... thankfully my visualization skills are very good... If I can imagine it I can build it if it is made of wood.
  • _dixiana_
    @lstrat115 wrote: »

This is a good idea. I need to pass more skills down. It is so easy and just habit to do things myself. I forget that I have the opportunity to teach something in almost every mundane task that I complete. I moved out without really knowing how to do anything, not even laundry or cook anything more exciting than grilled cheese. I think there is something to be said about teaching yourself things, but it is also important to make sure that kids are prepared for what is ahead of them.

So true! I've been teaching my 11 year old son things here in there in the kitchen. I just taught him how to make taco soup, chili, and dump cake. Easy stuff, but we're taking baby steps.
    He's learning lawn care and such from my step dad and he's learning other outdoor skills (hiking, camping, etc) from my husband. I need someone to teach him car basics, because my husband and I suck in that area haha
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

I painted last week.. I'll paint again today.

on the paint to do list:

Garage West Wall
    Mud Room
    Laundry Room (really dreading this one)
    Guest Room #2
    Living Room
    Dining Room
    Bathroom #3

eventually... the kitchen
    which will lead to the family room

.... maybe I need a smaller house??
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

This is a good idea. I need to pass more skills down. It is so easy and just habit to do things myself. I forget that I have the opportunity to teach something in almost every mundane task that I complete. I moved out without really knowing how to do anything, not even laundry or cook anything more exciting than grilled cheese. I think there is something to be said about teaching yourself things, but it is also important to make sure that kids are prepared for what is ahead of them.

my dad taught me how to: 'Stay outta my way'

I excelled.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member

I feel the same way! I replaced my entire kitchen faucet and added a sprayer. I fixed a dripping bathroom faucet and a dripping tub faucet. I felt like I could rule the world!! Who needs a man to do *kitten*. LOL

Yes!! After one fix I am pretty sure I said something like "I am woman, hear me roar" :D

I felt the same way when I replaced the assembly inside the toilet tank.
  • Timshel_

Yes!! After one fix I am pretty sure I said something like "I am woman, hear me roar" :D

I felt the same way when I replaced the assembly inside the toilet tank.

3138584-dianaprince%2Bww1.png

• _dixiana_
    I confess I discovered old lady veins on my ankles and it's kinda bumming me out.

And then I feel shallow for even worrying about it. :/
  • Timshel_
    I confess I discovered old lady veins on my ankles and it's kinda bumming me out.

I shoot videos of me playing tennis all the time. I love doing it because I can replay and see so many little things on the video that I don't notice I am doing when playing. However, on Sunday I was enjoying the sun and only had shorts on during practice. Needless to say, that was a sad thing to watch and I feel bad that I can't even focus on anything except how flabby my body looks, even though I was hitting really well.
  • _dixiana_
    @Timshel_ wrote: »

I shoot videos of me playing tennis all the time. I love doing it because I can replay and see so many little things on the video that I don't notice I am doing when playing. However, on Sunday I was enjoying the sun and only had shorts on during practice. Needless to say, that was a sad thing to watch and I feel bad that I can't even focus on anything except how flabby my body looks, even though I was hitting really well.

Phew I'm not alone in my vanity then ;)

We are our own worst critics though. I'm sure I'd watch that video and not think a flabby thought about you.

And no one would probably even notice the veins below my ankles because who looks at ankles? :smirk:
  • _dixiana_

I do the same for my bowling. I've never bowled shirtless though. I should try it.

Make it into a gif and share it, pleasekthx.