Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I don't support the fat acceptance/plus size movement.

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Except that fat people can be healthy.

Any examples of these wondrous healthy fat people? Most of my family are fat and they have all manner of issues - alcoholism, mental health issues, prostate cancer, heart issues (this is only three members of my family I'm thinking of at the moment - theres more)

I feel we always use the anomaly to define the rule, I have been fat previously - I wasn't happy OR healthy and i think to state that you can be healthy and fat is to lead people down a mean trite road whereby you feel good for making them feel good about themselves.

Its about the individual - looking at themselves naked in the mirror, with nothing but their mind to show, having some cold hard truth. There seems to be a lot of counter studies out there so i won't quickly search literature and show something that highlights my own truth, because thats not how i roll - i prefer platos allegory of the cave.

I agree that going out of your way to make someone feel uncomfortable about their weight is a douche move, however - the amount of overweight people that seem to have an opinion on my 6 workouts a week and clean eating seems to be okay.

Maybe my skin is just a little thicker than theirs, maybe they should be asking why that is...

Maybe their ideal truth has never really been thought of.

Live as long as possible, do as much good as possible

I mean, my obese father got a weird ingrown hair on his forehead once that made this giant boil and the hair was 3" long. Other than an arthritic knee (injury-induced), he doesn't have any health problems that I'm aware of. My grandfather was 95 and obese when he died; his obesity was caused by age-related loss of mobility combined with dementia and a wife who smuggled him extra food at the care home. He was only really obese the last 5-6 years of his life.

I was a healthy fat person until I started having babies. I know 100% it would have caught up with me in my 40s, but I do believe that whether one experiences comorbidities with obesity is likely at least partially influenced by genetics. I just happen to have half of my genetic input from a family prone to cardiovascular issues and type 2 diabetes. (If anyone knows of any research on this can you point me at it? Google-fu is failing me.)
  • onlytruemanhere83
    onlytruemanhere83 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would wonder why anyone who is accepting fat is healthy... is on a My Fitness Pal forum aiming to become more healthy? If you're fat and healthy... why bother?

Genetics plays a part in absolutely everything, I'm sure as we find out even more about epigenetics we will find out more and more, however this argument is not purely scientific - it also relies on a multitude of psychological factors. What dominance hierarchy do you wish to place yourself in? Are you ultimately happy within it? - Id love to debate all this properly with a well rounded emphasis on every aspect. However, Im lay on my back with my macbook at a *kitten* angle and cant type huge sweeping sentences.

Dementia sucks by the way, i feel your pain.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I unequivocally disagree with the notion of 'fat people can be healthy too' - by that maxim can we agree that anorexic people are healthy? No. Face facts there are people on this planet currently who think that an outpouring of empathy is the best way to make people feel comfortable about themselves. This is the wrong thing to do - Nietzchse and Jung knew this.

Fat people are more at risk of everything, usually it is purely a mental health issue that manifests itself physically.

In this current soft society we mistake vulnerability and want to encourage its protection at all costs - even in the face of logic.

Maybe if we gave up this 'love your body how it is' mentality - the world wouldn't be such a *kitten* show.

Get fit, get responsibility, get over yourself and get going... You're on this earth a short while, dont waste it.

Agree!
    But I don't agree that genetics has anything to do with anything.
    It ALL starts with food.

• armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I unequivocally disagree with the notion of 'fat people can be healthy too' - by that maxim can we agree that anorexic people are healthy? No. Face facts there are people on this planet currently who think that an outpouring of empathy is the best way to make people feel comfortable about themselves. This is the wrong thing to do - Nietzchse and Jung knew this.

Fat people are more at risk of everything, usually it is purely a mental health issue that manifests itself physically.

In this current soft society we mistake vulnerability and want to encourage its protection at all costs - even in the face of logic.

Maybe if we gave up this 'love your body how it is' mentality - the world wouldn't be such a *kitten* show.

Get fit, get responsibility, get over yourself and get going... You're on this earth a short while, dont waste it.

Agree!
    It ALL starts with food.

I don't have the genetics to be an NBA star. That's just how it is.

But being fat? That's a choice, not genetics, and I choose not to be. I choose to be fit.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    EarthyEm wrote: »
    I believe people don't deserve to be treated poorly because they are heavy. That is what the fat acceptance mevement is all about. F.A. also combats myths that you are unattractive, unemployable and have no self control simply because you are bigger. Folks who are bigger are aware of potential health risks, but that's a different story from the social implications of being heavy. Throwing in my 2 ¢

People shouldn't be treated poorly due to being overweight but they also shouldn't be treated better or felt sorry for by others either. They should be treated like everyone else would be treated but no special treatment either.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Agree!
    It ALL starts with food.

Of course genetics has something to do with obesity. You can alter the genes of two rats such that if you feed them the exact same amount of food, one will get fat and the other won't. People are just animals, we are not magically able to exist independent of our genes.

However, even the fat rat can be fed little enough that it will eventually become skinny. It just won't be a very happy rat.

I've seen this from both sides. When I was young and being skinny was effortless (I was a model in high school) I clearly remember remarking to a similarly-sized friend about an older woman we knew, "Before I got so fat my stomach stuck out like that I'd lock myself in a closet with no food!" Oh, fate has a funny way of punishing hubris like that. When I blew out my knee in college and was unable to walk for six months, I learned that I actually had no willpower around food whatsoever, never having needed to learn any.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Who do you think you are arguing with?

Who here is saying that obesity is healthy?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    tpolitza wrote: »
    I agree that being overweight is not ideal and eventually leads to health issues.

Which is why HAES is a lie, and fat acceptance is death acceptance.
    Does anyone want to see an eff-ing medical miracle? This is my blood work from a couple of months ago before I got back on the wagon. I procrastinated about getting my blood work because I thought for sure being obese would have caught up to me by now. This is my blood work copied and pasted from the online database...pretty cool that we can look up our results online now, rather than just wait for the doctor to say the numbers were normal, or not, or whatever.

There are a lot of 41 year old smokers who don't have cancer, emphysema and COPD yet.

THE POINT IS....MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I AM TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND WHY SHOULD ANYONE ELSE CARE? EVERYONE ON HERE IS TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT, OR GAIN WEIGHT, OR SOMETHING..... DEBATING WHETHER OR NOT WE SHOULD HATE OURSELVES FOR IT, OR ACCEPT OURSELVES, IS NONSENSE. PEOPLE PLEASE MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

I'M REALLY JUST ON HERE TO LOG MY DIET AND EXERCISE AND I DIDN'T EXPECT THIS. I DON'T DO SOCIAL MEDIA BUT IT SEEMS EVERYTHING IS SOCIAL MEDIA THESE DAYS.

Yet you choose to put your health history on a public forum and get offended when someone comments on it?

Actually, no one commented on my medical history, my actual blood work results. I just was upset about it when I woke up this morning and figured no-one believed me, so I shared it. I can't delete it now. I can't get this stupid thing out of my head, that's why I don't do social media. Not sure why I looked this post up again. Anyway, I was talking about people being overly concerned about other people being fat, people should mind their own business about that and just look the other way, you don't know what that person is going through.

You can ask a moderator to delete it by clicking on the Flag button, then Report > This is my post and I want to delete it.

My blood work has always been good. My knees have not. Losing weight and exercising has helped considerably with that.

Also, stairs no longer make me out of breath.
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tbh I'm the same. I have many overweight friends (some who do support it). I would even say the majority of my friends are probably overweight or borderline overweight (66% of america is overweight or obese at this point). I want the best for them but do not comment on their weight, so i do not understand why they do? They also comment on mine.. calling me "skinny" or " tiny" when I am a perfectly average weight for my height. I think when so many people are unhealthy in this country the average (distribution) has shifted to the right, towards higher weights, and thus people forget what was considered "normal" and what was considered healthy not that long ago. Along with this comes a desire to explain or excuse this movement to unhealthier standards. It is absolutely impossible to be VERY overweight and be healthy... I am sure there are some people who are BARELY overweight who are fine, but eventually they COULD run into health issues. We have to ask ourselves is it worth the risk? I think not.
  • djchaney3
    djchaney3 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It is ok to be "ok" with your weight or body type. There is nothing wrong with that and people should not judge you based on that or "guilt" you into feeling YOU need to be happy with your weight or body type. If you want a change then change, all of us here at MFP are here to help if needed.

I am currently 44, 23olbs and 5' 10", I was 285lbs and I was fat, no question about it and I thought I was happy with it. I was in a size 44 jeans headed to the next size and I decided it was time to get back down, I lost 55lbs so far and dropped to a size 38 jeans but I have at least 20 more to go to reach what I think is a good weight for me. I stopped looking at the scale and started looking at the results, measurements, and appearance.

I agree with a lot of people here, weight is a number and does not indicate healthiness, I have seen skinny people that are extremely unhealthy. Not saying there are not health issues associated with weight.Some of the rhetoric, data, and charts put out indicating if people are healthy, overweight or obese is ridiculous. According to the charts someone my size and age should weigh 179lbs and is considered in the obese section but these charts and criteria that define obese or heavy do not take into consideration the width of your chest, the muscle mass you have or any of that. Just looks at Age and weight...

Just remember to be happy and be you, if others can not accept that then you do not need them in your life!!
This discussion has been closed.