WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    bowling-fall-smiley-emoticon.gif made me think of Terri - hope she's doing well <3

There are many I think of and miss. Hope they are all doing well. ((( hugs))) for you dear Gloria. Hope your load lightens. <3.

Janetr okc
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Happy belated Birthday PIP!

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Kelly, A gratitude list is a good tool in dealing with any negativity. Meditation is another tool that has served me well. Also, personal inventory....take stock of the things you want to do that DH is opposed to--is there merit in what he says, have you taken on too much, listen with an open mind in case you can learn something. Then just be like the clock in the thunderstorm and keep on ticking. Thank him for his concern and suggestions and keep on preparing. Also vent with us and not with him.

<3 Barbie

Very, very wise, Barbie. I found that's the best way for me to deal with my DH's negativity and depression. And strangely, I catch him using that strategy on me... B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    727525xwniv6blxb.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I'm so happy that your test results brought good news and the feeling of relief. Yay!!! :heart:

Gloria: Thanks for mentioning Terri. We haven't heard from her in a very long while. I think she was posting to us from work and she had to stop. I hope things are going okay. :flowerforyou:

Kate UK: The yellow shirt is certainly eye catching. Your DH would fit right in wearing it in Eugene, OR. That is an Oregon Duck color. The other is green. :wink:

NYKaren: Enjoy your DC getaway. :smiley:

KJ: I have two suggestions for effective anti-depression tactics. The first is Vitamin D3, also known as the sunshine vitamin. I take capsules year round, more in winter and slightly less in summer. The second suggestion is exercise. Moving more increases optimism. If I could only get my own DH to do that. :grumble: These are both long term strategies and not instant fixes. I also like Barbie's advice. Good luck!

Pip: Love the family photo. Is there one with you in it, too?:wink:

I have yoga this morning and plan on a dog walk, too. My poor dog had to get shots to comply with licensing requirements and also for his own sake. He got one in each hip and is clearly sore. Perhaps a walk will help ease away the pain. I have yoga today, but I may be able to squeeze a short walk in before I go, and then another after I get home from the gym. If I was sore from shots that is what I'd probably do for myself. I would also take aspirin. I wonder if we have any baby aspirin around.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Kelly so many insightful comments from others! Barbie's advice was super wise about self care. I will just add from my own experience with my DH, that the more positive I stay, the less his pessimism brings me down. Also my dh's point of view is just another way of looking at things, and there is no harm at looking at things from another perspective as long as you keep being true to yourself. You are an excellent "flipper" as we all know, but it is exhausting staying positive and proactive. Sometimes my husband's very different temperament feels like the yin to my yang, other times its just jarring and dissonant. We're in a bit of a low point right now, hoping a get away will improve things.

NYKAREN

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LENORA - love the aging list, we should all try to live by most of this advice.

Kate UK <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Lenora - Love your list!!! <3<3

Becca - Thank you for keeping us laughing! <3

<3 Heather - I have a start of French Tarragon I'm going to pot up shortly - the slugs got to my nice plant from last year. Thankfully our local nursery gets in a dozen little plants each year, and not that expensive. Love your fuschia and self watering pot.

Penny - I will savor the photos of you and the snow this weekend - looks like 90 here on Monday. <3

Katla - you are a sweetie for taking flowers to the graves. I think this Monday, when the cleaner comes, I'll spend a little time at a pioneer cemetery our friends maintain, then perhaps head to some thrift stores to find a cheap gardening shirt with pockets and/or an old sturdy wooden chair to put in the potting shed. The one I have now is a little wobbly. <3 Was going to work at one of the MG Demo gardens...but might wait on that until it's cooler later in the week.

I'm in taking a quick break from gardening. So thankful I only worked in town on Tuesday... DH and I have gotten so much done around here these past few days before the hot weather this weekend. B)

Later my friends!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I had no luck finding French tarragon. I have only ever found it once. Neither could I find small Rosemary, thyme or sage. There were all kinds of fancy, ornamental varieties, but I want the boring, culinary kind. Wrong time of year I guess. We are taking out some of our raised beds, so I need new plants as our old ones are much too big to move.
    I did sow sorrel, arugula, curly parsley and flat leaved parsley. The cilantro and dill have self sown. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    KJ I try not to feed negativity so I walk away or change the subject unless I really need to engage in the subject. In those moments I try and it is not always easy, to remember all the things I love and appreciate about my DH that at times I can cut him some slack.

Worked out at the gym early this morning, ate well and feel great!

<3 Sarah, Ontario.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Took the deep water class today. Before the class went to give the Humane Society my aluminum but the container to put it in wasn't there! After exercise went to the Salvation Army (you never know what you'll find), stopped at Dollar General for a toy that was on sale, got gas, then Aldi. Came home and helped Vince cut the grass. Tonight we have a baseball game to go to with the Newcomers. I already have my "Pocketbook" packed -- a veggie burger on a whole wheat round, carrots, tomatoes, a clementine and some Just Peas

The plan for tomorrow is to do the "6 Weeks to a 6 Pack" DVD that I just got. We shall see how it is....

Joyce - when we first got Loki he was only a few weeks old. He had the loudest "purrer" I've ever heard. Unfortunately, that went away. The way we introduced the cats to him was we had him in the back bedroom (we had a litter box and food in the bathroom adjoining the bedroom) and one-by-one we brought the other cats into the room and let them sniff each other. We took them out when they seemed to have had enough. Little by little, the time they spent together extended. Good luck to you!

katla - glad the glasses worked so well. Isn't it amazing?

Kate - great job sewing. Well, look on the bright side, whenever your dh wears the shirt, you won't lose him in a crowd!!!!

Just talked to Jess. Told her that I was getting my food to take with me since I really don't care for greasy hamburgers and chili swimming in grease. She said "ma, you know it's OK to take a day off once in a while". I don't mind taking a day off, but I also know that I won't feel good at all and I don't want that to happen. So I'm taking my own food

KJ - congrats to your son on the promotion

Carol - these robes are something that I believe the girls will be wearing when they get their makeup done. To me, it's an expense that you really don't need, but that's just me. I need to keep after Vince to do things. Sometimes I think he does it mainly to shut me up. But I'm still waiting for him to put the quarter round in my exercise room. Well, it's only been going on 4 years right now. I got rid of the filing cabinet in the garage that's been there for 10 years only because I did the work. Now Vince needs to go thru the papers to see what we need to keep. I may start going thru them since there are some papers we don't need -- like receipts for getting the lawn cut in our old house

Lenora - loved your list, but one thing...if you use all your money today, what happens if you become an invalid and have to pay for a nursing home or someplace like that?

Michele in NC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Well, mixed blessings... the Big Giant House deal fell through. I still don't know why I went slightly crazy and convinced my husband to put in that bid. Not sure why it drew me so. But HUD countered at more than twice as much as we bid, so we took the out the universe offered us and simply said no, we wouldn't counter. That was part of the decision we made this weekend that I spoke of earlier. If we were able to withdraw, we would, so we did. With the warehouse still unsold, we don't have the cash reserves to do what that wonderful old house needs. So, one potential weight off our potential plate.

And the roller coaster is chick-a-chick-a-chicking up the next incline... just clinging on to the safety bar. As we have for the last year.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Beeeautiful day. You know what I'm doing!
    Becca!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: We have a number of garden centers that have veggies as well as ornamentals. If you have checked the ones in your area and not found what you want, I wonder whether there are specialty plant nurseries nearby that would have things you want. You can probably order seeds. It is slow but flexible and practical. :flowerforyou:

Becca: Don't forget your sunscreen. :devil:

I just planted a row of royal burgundy bush beans. I hope the seeds germinate & thrive. In a week or two I'll plant another row. I'm putting them where I've traditionally planted my cherry tomato. I didn't want one this year because it gets to be overwhelming. It grows huge and I can't keep up with all the tomatoes. I made the change for the fun of it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James