June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    It is in the 90's here right now. Was planing an easy run after my 15 miles in the upper 80's yesterday. Having a hard time convincing myself to go out. heh

um... I think I'd die if I had to go out in the afternoon in 90 degree weather. You are amazing if you do it, and totally a normal human if you don't....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    nFoooo wrote: »
    I just got a new phone and downloaded Strava as my first app (obviously). I requested to join the MFP group! Looking forward to using a GPS app while running for the first time later tonight.

There is a MFP group?

Okay found it and requested to join. On Strava I am "Pastor Vincent"

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - I've seen different elevation numbers from Garmin and Strava, and I'm inclined to trust Strava more than Garmin. Both pick up elevation from GPS location, but I think Strava takes data from multiple users into account. In any case, the run that convinced me was by the Charles River in Boston, from about 10 to 25 feet above sea level. Garmin had me going down to sea level every time I crossed a bridge. Strava understood the bridges, and even understood a pedestrian/runners' ramp to get from the river trail up to a bridge.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    It is in the 90's here right now. Was planing an easy run after my 15 miles in the upper 80's yesterday. Having a hard time convincing myself to go out. heh

um... I think I'd die if I had to go out in the afternoon in 90 degree weather. You are amazing if you do it, and totally a normal human if you don't....

Right now I am telling myself if I wait for the Sun to get low in the sky it will not be so bad. I am not really convincing though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Right now I am telling myself if I wait for the Sun to get low in the sky it will not be so bad. I am not really convincing though.

Shade=doable for me sun= inner circle of Hell. I think you can do it if you let the sun get low and there's some shade you can catch.... But I'm a morning runner, so the whole evening run thing is out of my purview
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Today at 87 with reasonable humidity and sunshine felt almost as bad as 91 and high humidity but available shade in the evening felt last summer. This is not definitive, as I don't think I'm as acclimated to the heat as I was then; but where there was shade today that made a big difference.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 - I've seen different elevation numbers from Garmin and Strava, and I'm inclined to trust Strava more than Garmin. Both pick up elevation from GPS location, but I think Strava takes data from multiple users into account. In any case, the run that convinced me was by the Charles River in Boston, from about 10 to 25 feet above sea level. Garmin had me going down to sea level every time I crossed a bridge. Strava understood the bridges, and even understood a pedestrian/runners' ramp to get from the river trail up to a bridge.

I like this, because then I can go with the higher estimate, lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.06
    3---6.31
    4---6.29
    6---3.69 walk
    7---4.37
    9---3.76
    10---6.34
    11---5.19

40.92/70

Upcoming races

June 17th Turtle run 5K
    AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic  Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:50  5k 37.46 10k 1:20.25
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    June Goal - make myself get up at 4am to get in a run at least one day per week.

June 2 - 6.7 miles of gravel road hills
    June 3 - 5 miles of even steeper gravel road hills.
    June 4 - 7.1 miles - before a hike with weighted backpack
    June 6 - WooHoo I did it! Ran before work! 5.1 miles at 5am - 72 degrees and 90% humidity
    June 8 -Weight training and then Spinning class.
    June 10 -10.1 miles -
    June 11 - 8 miles before a hike with a weighted backpack

It felt so very hot today! I did not manage the last 2 miles I was hoping to get in, but still hit my weekly total - which is better than I have been doing lately. Now I need to find a way to get another early morning run in this week.

Total - 42 miles

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm getting a laugh out of the discussion around announcing you are about to pass vs just blowing right by! :lol: I seem to switch back and forth and have yet to find the right method that doesn't result in people getting the kitten scared out of them. When I announce myself to walkers in front of me (I don't pass runners because I'm too slow) they always jump and freak out. Even when they have a dog with them who knows I'm coming because, well, it's a dog! When I have a wider path and just go around, same thing most times.

Actually, just about a week ago I passed by some walkers unannounced because we had already seen each other as I was running up to the intersection, they were just a bit ahead of me by the time I turned on the path, I know they saw me, and should have been a bit aware I was coming, or so I thought. It was a teenage girl and her mom. I was about to go off into the grass to pass in order to give them the path when the daughter stopped to tie her shoes and the mom kept walking ahead. So I just weaved around really quick and as I was headed up to pass the mom her daughter shouted out really loud, "Mom, look out"! The mom leapt off the path freaked out and I said, "You're fine, sorry to scare you". Yeah, that was weird. I could have scared both of them, I guess, by just announcing myself. Not sure which is better. I always hear people behind me long before they pass, so announced or otherwise it doesn't bother me. The only time I remember being scared was when I heard dog tags clinging and closing in on me from behind really fast as two loose dogs flew by. That was nerve wracking knowing a dog was closing in and I had no clue what to expect.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Haha! @WhatMeRunning ! Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only kitten of a runner! Yesterday we had 2 very seasoned runners come up behind us. One announced something abrupt, like "Look out, coming through" which is fine with me. I instinctively move to the right. He chuckled and said something apologetic. No worries here man.

The times I announce my passing, they are just dumbfounded and it's usually easier just to weave past. Maybe I'll try "runner". Although, I may get called "liar" if they see me on a walk break. "Slogger"?

Anyone have tried and true suggestions?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    ugh I just typed a long post and lost it! @elise4270 @whatmerunning I don't have the PMS excuse ha ha. I like the idea of an air horn. I try to make noise when I'm coming up behind walkers, I figure they must hear me breathing like a train coming behind them :wink: Sometimes I'll say I'm there so they know. This girl was doing like 1,000 miles on our 6 mile greenway so she was back and forth and back and forth just her RBF and was annoying me.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I don't generally run where I have to pass a lot of people. I breathe really hard so I have a feeling they can hear me coming a mile away :smile:

I usually just run around them by going onto the grass. Usually they step out of the way especially if they are walking.

Once when I was on vacation in the Outer Banks I was walking on the shoulder of the road and a kid on a bike rammed right into my backside. He yelled out a split second before hitting me, didn't even give me a chance to move. I was pretty angry- his parents weren't even apologetic. They didn't even stop, just kept going. So rude.