Foods with shocking high cals

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    ice cream can have a lot of calories for half a cup and i think some of ben and jerrys are shocking for half a cup.

I think it's shocking that anyone considers half a cup of ice cream to be an adequate serving size! :'(

The Breyer's ice cream I eat is 150 cal/half cup serving, I have room for 2 of them on days I run, and if you measure it by weight it looks like a hell of a lot more than half a cup.

I agree! Ice cream is one of the few foods that when I started weighing it in grams rather than measuring it with a half cup scoop, it comes out to a bigger serving. But it's one of those things that if I make the mistake of taking a spoon to the pint I'm liable to hoover the whole 900 cal thing. But if I put a weighed portion in the bowl and and go sit down with it, I'm perfectly satisfied with the one serving :).
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mackerel. I ordered a 6OZ steamed mackerel steak once because I thought what can go wrong with steamed fish. Turned out to be like 800 cal. Higher than Salmon. All that fat -- I don't care if it's healthy fat! So upset haha. Lesson learned. FML
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Tuffaknee wrote: »
    Another I'll add.. CEREAL. Even the healthy ones, once you weigh an actual serving size on the scale and realize how meager it is compared to what you're used to pouring in the bowl. Shocking.

Raley's/Nob Hill Wild Blueberry with Flax Granola -- 3/4 cup is 250 calories. That's 300 calories when you add the almond milk! (You can add 600 calories to me.)
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly on the ice cream. I SPLIT a malt with my dad and my half was (roughly) 560 calories. My sister had an entire one. I probably could've drank a whole one but I am aware of the calories. I am appalled at how many 'hidden calories' exist in this world. Since I don't want to ruin my family's enjoyment of food, (even though calorie awareness doesn't ruin mine) I refrain from telling them about how many calories are in things. I'm the only one that reads labels and counts. I feel bad about not making them aware (and they don't ask and don't care either) when I see them eat over 2000 in one sitting. Anyone else experience this? I think pizza places are some of the biggest offenders because serving sizes are so ambiguous there.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

I only eat half of a sit down restaurant burger per meal.

I typically have 2-3 bites of "the whole thing" then pick up a knife and fork and eat the rest bunless (which has the added benefit of eliminating as much of the mayo/sauce as sticks to the bun). I don't really like the idea of leftover burger, so I'd rather focus on the yummy middle part. If I don't finish it, no big deal.
    The only fast food burgers I eat any more are in kids' meals. (I order a kid's meal with fruit - I'm not running around stealing kids' hamburgers! :) ) And even those are pretty high. I only eat them on days when I exercise a lot.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm not shocked at much anymore. Olives can add up in an annoying manner. Makes sense though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you guys and this thread, you saved me from extra unlogged calories!

My boyfriend does all of the cooking and figures out my portions. He made homemade Quesadillas tonight and after logging...it seemed off. I thought about this thread and asked: "You didn't use ANY seasoning, sauces, or butter to make the Quesadilla??"

Turns out he used Olive Oil and didn't bother to mention it because he uses so little. I was like "Umm that's like 60 calories. That stuff adds up fast to me not getting to have my nightly brownie & milk really fast!"

Much like my realizing my piles of green olives were high in calories....I "knew" he must be using a bit of oil, but don't always remember to ask. Thanks for this thread, guys! Excellent reminder!

Also remember, olive oil comes from olives. Even without adding oil, they are about 10% fat.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you guys and this thread, you saved me from extra unlogged calories!

My boyfriend does all of the cooking and figures out my portions. He made homemade Quesadillas tonight and after logging...it seemed off. I thought about this thread and asked: "You didn't use ANY seasoning, sauces, or butter to make the Quesadilla??"

Turns out he used Olive Oil and didn't bother to mention it because he uses so little. I was like "Umm that's like 60 calories. That stuff adds up fast to me not getting to have my nightly brownie & milk really fast!"

Much like my realizing my piles of green olives were high in calories....I "knew" he must be using a bit of oil, but don't always remember to ask. Thanks for this thread, guys! Excellent reminder!

Also remember, olive oil comes from olives. Even without adding oil, they are about 10% fat.

These olives just keep coming back to haunt me.

And he bought "light" sour cream instead of "fat free" and didn't tell me. So I was still logging it as "fat free". Agggghhhh! I eat what I want if that's what I've decided, but I do NOT want extra calories in stuff I'd gladly forego for something better later!

The fats I don't worry about too much. My daily intake is usually under 20% of my Macros at worst.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Anything sold in a restaurant, especially fast food. Yes, I know that I should expect it. But how the heck do you make a chicken sandwich or a salad have 1,000 calories?

Biggest one lately though, has been money mustard salad dressing. At home I always buy the light versions. I love it. It's the only one I ever order if I'm out and I never, EVER would have thought it was so fattening. It's higher than Ranch! I blew an entire dinner I thought I'd done very well on one night when I got home and entered the darn dressing.

Interesting. I find fast food much easier to do on a calorie budget than sit down restaurant food. The key is to get the "small" of everything (and get diet soda or water to drink). I can get a fast food burger for about 400 calories, but a sit down restaurant burger is going to be 800 calories minimum because of the huge fancy bun and all of the high-cal extras they put on to make it "fancy".

I only eat half of a sit down restaurant burger per meal.

I typically have 2-3 bites of "the whole thing" then pick up a knife and fork and eat the rest bunless (which has the added benefit of eliminating as much of the mayo/sauce as sticks to the bun). I don't really like the idea of leftover burger, so I'd rather focus on the yummy middle part. If I don't finish it, no big deal.
    The only fast food burgers I eat any more are in kids' meals. (I order a kid's meal with fruit - I'm not running around stealing kids' hamburgers! :) ) And even those are pretty high. I only eat them on days when I exercise a lot.

I almost never have fast food, because normally I prefer something else, but a regular hamburger at McD's (not something exclusive to a kid's meal) is 250 calories, which is no more than a burger I'd make at home (although mine would have better macros and come with more interesting vegetables as a side, for my taste). Even a larger burger, like a Double Cheeseburger (and this includes cheese, which of course adds cals and would be no lower at home) is only 430, and a Quarter Pounder 540 (not sure what causes the difference between these two). At a pub or some such, the burger is going to be no less, likely much more (because it will also have a high cal bun, probably higher cal, will be more likely to include a sauce with fat in it, unless you ask that it not, could have high cal additions like avocado or bacon, and will also have beef that is not lean, and the size of the burger will be larger).

Agreed with Susan (I think she's the one who said it) that a good approach to the pub/local joint burger is to eat half and make it into two meals.
  • neekonico
    neekonico Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing, bagels, granola bars, nutella
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly on the ice cream. I SPLIT a malt with my dad and my half was (roughly) 560 calories. My sister had an entire one. I probably could've drank a whole one but I am aware of the calories. I am appalled at how many 'hidden calories' exist in this world. Since I don't want to ruin my family's enjoyment of food, (even though calorie awareness doesn't ruin mine) I refrain from telling them about how many calories are in things. I'm the only one that reads labels and counts. I feel bad about not making them aware (and they don't ask and don't care either) when I see them eat over 2000 in one sitting. Anyone else experience this? I think pizza places are some of the biggest offenders because serving sizes are so ambiguous there.

Don't feel bad. If they cared about calories that would be one thing, but if they don't they don't and that's okay.
  • kamarismom
    kamarismom Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    pdmccone wrote: »
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

I use these tortillas for everything. I love them.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avacado, cheese, peanut butter, banana. Certain breads. I bake my own bread now so I can actually eat it when I want it instead of having to plan my whole day around it.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you want a excellent tortilla that is low calorie, carb and high fiber I would recommend Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla. They are I think 10 inch and 50 calories, 11 dietary fiber, soft and taste excellent.

Sigh.

Not in Canada from what I see.

Tortilla's I'm having are 180 cals and I'd love to try a lower cal version that tastes good.

Dempsters has a lower calorie tortilla. I think they're 80 for a smaller one, not the big ones. Not as good as the ones described above, but still better than 180 for a big one. :neutral:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Sigh.

Not in Canada from what I see.

Tortilla's I'm having are 180 cals and I'd love to try a lower cal version that tastes good.

Dempsters has a lower calorie tortilla. I think they're 80 for a smaller one, not the big ones. Not as good as the ones described above, but still better than 180 for a big one. :neutral:

Totally read that as Dumpsters.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, granola, various other "health foods."
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Fruit juices!! And Skinny Latte's can still be a few hundred in some cases. Goes to show you can't assume a food/drink is low just cos they tell you it's low. I've had to start pre-checking my order before I place it, just so i don't accidentally screw up my day with a "skinny" drink.
  • mkdm291
    mkdm291 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bandbmc wrote: »
    One banana. 100 calories. When my daily allowance is 1200, that is painful...

I have bananas everyday in my smoothies but no longer have whole bananas - I use either a half or a third depending on how big it is. I store the unused banana cut side down on a small lid.

We think alike! I also put 1/2 in my shake... I give the rest to my son.