June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    MrsKGrady wrote: »
    J
    Came in 3rd in my age group in my 5k this weekend. This is my first 5k since April and the first of three over the next three weeks.

Great job!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Congrats on the AG place @MrsKGrady!!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    MrsKGrady wrote: »

Came in 3rd in my age group in my 5k this weekend. This is my first 5k since April and the first of three over the next three weeks.

Way to go!! Awesome pics. You look like you had a great time!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    June 18 – 0.0 miles Rest…ish
    June 19 – 0.0 miles Rest

Total: 64.25 miles/100 miles

Yesterday was a work-imposed rest day. A 12-hour shift from hell will do that to you. I work in a restaurant, so I’m not a fan of contrived holidays that have everyone and their father out for dinner, whether they can afford it or not and whether they actually know how to dine out or not. I am tired and sore. I also have another long shift ahead of me, because everyone knows the Monday after a holiday is slow, and no one wants to work, lol! That’s ok. I can use another rest day. I have a race on Friday. On the beach. I’m not really a fan of running on sand. What was I thinking??!

Upcoming Race:

June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    @MNLittleFinn - Congrats on completing your first full. Amazing progress!

Definitely inspired me to get back into mindset of doing a full - you must feel great. My pack for my second HM just arrived over the weekend, and included a flyer for a local full that I didn't know existed. It's literally only 40mins drive away so don't have the usual hassle/cost associated with travelling. However, it only gives me 16 weeks to make transition from half to full, (including any post HM recovery and pre-full taper). Decisions, decisions...
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the advice indeed I needed better hydration, I've ran same distances at night and nothing happened.

@MrsKGrady Congratulations!

I ran 22k the past thursday but I feel I'm keeping behind in my goal.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @mrskgrady super job!! Great pictures!
    @shrcpr no pressure - sometimes I read everything, but if I can't I skim and hit buttons, if I'm too far behind I just post and start from there ha ha
    @bettyM1017 I'm not a fan of running on the beach either.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    @skippygirlsmom What I couldn't imagine not reading every word. :D I can't believe some of you can find the time to share as much as you do. I love it all but I have to miss some, I couldn't possibly read it all.
  • cburke8909
    @PastorVincent what do you think about the temperature issue? Do they help with the heat? I have worn them mostly on cool morning but Saturday in the humidity it seemed about the same as just shorts.
  • PastorVincent
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent what do you think about the temperature issue? Do they help with the heat? I have worn them mostly on cool morning but Saturday in the humidity it seemed about the same as just shorts.

I guess it depends on what they are replacing in your outfit. For me, they did not really impact heat - but I already wear pretty much all UA Heat Gear stuff. Switching to a sleeveless (not tank) top had a huge positive impact, but the compression shorts? I do not think I noticed any difference. Heck in cold weather races I even wear them under my long running pants. They seem to be pretty temperature agnostic.

Maybe the "cooling" effect comes only if they are all you wear?
  • cburke8909
    I am not going to the nothing but the tights. :# for the same reason I don't wear the speedo at the beach.
  • PastorVincent
    I am not going to the nothing but the tights. :# for the same reason I don't wear the speedo at the beach.

You mean you do not look like this guy: http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/meet-the-nearly-naked-caveman-with-the-best-finish-line-photo-of-the-boston-marathon
    (Might want to shoulder check before clicking that link...)
  • cburke8909
    Exactly! LMAO If I was running near him I'd have to faster just to avoid the view.
  • PastorVincent
    Exactly! LMAO If I was running near him I'd have to faster just to avoid the view.

Still 26.2 miles barefoot on hot pavement. Gotta give him credit for some REALLY tough feet if nothing else.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @MrsKGrady Awesome job on your 5K!

@PastorVincent Regarding compression gear, from what I understand they present no real benefit while running (other than maybe to prevent chafing), but are great for recovery (I have several pairs that I sometimes use to help me feel 'human' again after hard runs). So wearing them for running just means you get the recovery compression as soon as you stop running, and that's about it. But at that point, they would be all sweaty and you'd want to change out of them anyway. :grimace:
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    June Goal: 95 miles

6/01 0
    6/02 5.0 - 9:09 m/m 153 HR
    6/03 4.0 - 8:47 m/m 156 HR
    6/04 5.0 - 8:56 m/m 154 HR
    6/05 0.0
    6/06 5.0 - 3 miles of .5 mi intervals with a 2 mi easy jog cool down - 8:42 m/m 139 HR (pace is intervals only, HR includes wu/cd)
    6/07 3.0 - 7:57 m/m 154 HR
    6/08 4.0 - 8:49 m/m 151 HR
    6/09 0.0
    6/10 3.0 - 8:53 m/m 149 HR
    6/11 5.0 - 9:05 m/m 147 HR (Ran too late in the day and ran out of gas about 3.5 miles and walked the last 1.5 miles)
    6/12 0.0
    6/13 0.0
    6/14 5.0 - 8:56 m/m 145 HR
    6/15 3.0 - 9:00 m/m 148 HR
    6/16 0.0
    6/17 2.0 - 9:06 m/m 143 HR
    6/18 6.22 - 8:34 m/m 165 HR

Total: 50 miles

Note:
    This will be my last mileage update for the month... ran a 10K yesterday and tweaked my left calf muscle between miles 2-3. It seems like my calves have been so tight the last few weeks, so I think it would be best to just give them a rest for a few weeks. I have a fairly busy race schedule this fall, so would prefer to rest it now and have a better chance for successful finishes then. I will plan on skipping the 4th of July race and do other cross-training exercises as well as additional strength and flex/stretching.

Any recovery/rehab exercises for the calves are welcome. Also, are muscles more susceptible to injury after a tear? I had a fairly severe pulled left calf muscle last fall during a race when I slipped on some wet grass in attempt to pass on a narrow path. I took 6-8 weeks off from running and had a pretty good spring, but did tweak that muscle in mid-March. After that, I took a week off and it felt good enough to get back into my training schedule and I did a 10K and HM in April without issue. So, now a tweak again and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong or if it is to be somewhat expected with a prior injury.

2017 Races
    02/25/17 – Mardi Gras 5K - 26:06 (not official course)
    04/01/17 – Jadon’s Hope 10K - 53:23
    04/22/17 - Garmin Half Marathon - 1:58:24
    06/18/17 – Father’s Day 10K - 53:38

07/04/17 – Freedom Run 10K
    08/05/17 – Spencer Duncan Make it Count 5K
    08/12/17 – Run for the Raptors (trail) 5K/6.7M ??
    09/10/17 – Plaza 10K (Heartland 30K Series)
    09/16/17 – Kade Meyer Celebration 5K
    09/17/17 – Paulina Cooper Dot to Dot 10K (Heartland 30K Series)
    09/24/17 – Broadway Bridge 10K (Heartland 30K Series)
    10/01/17 – WWI Museum & Memorial 8K Double Run (5K+3K)
    11/19/17 – Pilgrim Pacer Run Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    garygse wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Regarding compression gear, from what I understand they present no real benefit while running (other than maybe to prevent chafing), but are great for recovery (I have several pairs that I sometimes use to help me feel 'human' again after hard runs). So wearing them for running just means you get the recovery compression as soon as you stop running, and that's about it. But at that point, they would be all sweaty and you'd want to change out of them anyway. :grimace:

I have heard that also. I usually have 1/4 to 1-mile (pending available time) cool down walk home after any serious run, so I can get the benefits that way I guess. I would not say I have noticed any difference in that department either though.