Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How do you get a personalized recommendation based on your own situation from the CDC?
    Since you asked, I will reply.

Of course you don't.

But the OBGYN's advice should generally be in line with such recommendations unless you have a specific medical condition that indicates otherwise.

About 1/3 of Americans are overweight.
    Ergo: 1/3 of women are overweight.
    Corollary: 1/3 of pregnant women are overweight.

If your assertion is that at least 1/3 of all pregnant women are somehow magically special then I suppose the CDC, WHO and related organizations need to publish a paper to clarify that.

Or are you saying that all of those First World over-fat women have special medical conditions that are not relevant to most of the rest of the world?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    My OB GYN was a quack. Just saying.
    They're not gods...
    Besides the guys opinion was general in nature so what is so god awful wrong about him simply repeating general CDC guidance as a general opinion? Over sensitive people on here I think.

Unless you're in a situation where you can't get a new OB/GYN, most people seeing a quack would probably be better off finding a new doctor than simply ignoring what they say and following a generalized recommendation from the CDC.

If I was trying to decide how much weight to gain while pregnant, I'd prefer to deal with someone who was considering my medical history, recent test results, and the overall progression of my pregnancy.

Yes, your preference is your opinion.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    About 1/3 of Americans are overweight.
    Ergo: 1/3 of women are overweight.
    Corollary: 1/3 of pregnant women are overweight.
    I acknowledge the math is not formal, proper or even accurate. I was using it to frame a sample size.

The point is that many people do gain as much weight as they want, regardless of what a doctor recommends. Male or female, pregnant or not.

Interjecting that an OBGYN said it was a "healthy" amount is merely justification.
This discussion has been closed.