Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Replies

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Guys telling me I do too much cardio. Not all of us want to be a 200 lb meathead!

I don't know too many 200 pound meatheads.... doesn't meathead start at about 230?

I get it tho'.... there are some gyms I won't go near here in town; the d-bag factor is waaay too high.

Lean is good

Lean and strong AF is better.

I dunno where it starts. A guy can be ripped and huge (compared to me at least) at 200 lbs.
    I do train for strength but it doesn't bother me if I can't bench press 200 lbs.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Guys telling me I do too much cardio. Not all of us want to be a 200 lb meathead!

Yes you do. ;)

You're one of them!
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Hogging weights, or a machine and just texting while sitting on it. If you aren't using it, GET UP and go rest somewhere else, then come back and do another set
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I don't know too many 200 pound meatheads.... doesn't meathead start at about 230?

I get it tho'.... there are some gyms I won't go near here in town; the d-bag factor is waaay too high.

Lean is good

Lean and strong AF is better.

I dunno where it starts. A guy can be ripped and huge (compared to me at least) at 200 lbs.
    I do train for strength but it doesn't bother me if I can't bench press 200 lbs.

I might get flamed for this, but I'm thinking that the ability to bench your own body weight is a pretty good yardstick for most is the ability to bench their own bodyweight. If you weigh, say 175..... bench pressing 200 would be impressive.

I've trained with a guy who weighed 140 and he benched 235. That's pretty cool.

• JosephPulaski
    JosephPulaski Posts: 304 Member
    Is "everything" an option???
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    People hogging machines to take selfies and/or text friends
  • joeybrid
    joeybrid Posts: 65 Member
    When you're lifting and people *Dont* ask to work in, they just mill around slack jawed eyeballing the bench press or squat rack you're using. Like Bro, get the balls to ask or just walk away but I don't need you watching me.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    joeybrid wrote: »
    When you're lifting and people *Dont* ask to work in, they just mill around slack jawed eyeballing the bench press or squat rack you're using. Like Bro, get the balls to ask or just walk away but I don't need you watching me.

trooth
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    This thread makes me so glad that I converted my back room into a gym so I can train at home!

Lucky you.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited July 2017
    *kitten*''ots who swing their sweaty towel while walking past. Sometimes it touches you. Putting the sweaty towel on the weights. So if you want to use it, you end up touching the towel or the weights it was on. Is it so hard to put it on the floor without causing obstruction? I feel like sticking my foot down their back side.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    kaizaku wrote: »
    *kitten*''ots who swing their sweaty towel while walking past. Sometimes it touches you. Putting the sweaty towel on the weights. So if you want to use it, you end up touching the towel or the weights it was on. Is it so hard to put it on the floor without causing obstruction? I feel like sticking my foot down their back side.

etsb4act159e.jpg
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    joeybrid wrote: »

Right away if I see someone in the rack I ask. Sometimes I get an annoyed look but they answer politely. If its a few sets left I go to another part of the gym (still in view of rack) and do my warmup. Most don't seem open to working in so I dont bother asking. One time I had about 10 sets left (doing SL 5x5) and this guy stood right in front of the rack to do his warm up then finally asked how much longer I'd be. Since I had a lot of sets left I asked if he wanted to work in. His response was "I'll be lifting heavier than you" (he wasn't), and doing different lifts. I told him we'll help each other rack/unrack the weights no problem. At one point he asks me if it bothers me him working in and I tell him no. I don't know if the men at my gym who go are used to having to share/work in like that. My bf has a problem asking. I don't because it's better to know so I know what to do instead of just waiting around clueless.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    People who crank the treadmill incline to the max height, and then hold on to the top of the machine for dear life to stay on. I can't concentrate on my own workout, because I want to get ready to catch them if they lose their grip and go flying backwards.
  • jenilla1
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    People who crank the treadmill incline to the max height, and then hold on to the top of the machine for dear life to stay on. I can't concentrate on my own workout, because I want to get ready to catch them if they lose their grip and go flying backwards.

I know, right? And when they crank it up and then hold on, they are kind of defeating much of the purpose. Holding onto the machine instead of relying on your body to keep itself upright takes away a lot of the "work" part of it. The machine is crediting you with calories as if you were doing all the work, but you really aren't. I personally can max it out and walk on my own without gripping the machine just fine. But it takes a lot more effort than it does when you are using the machine as a crutch. But whatever. Not my business. Just seems like a waste, though. You could put it on a more manageable incline and walk independently and get more benefit out of it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »
    Naked women in the changing room. There was a woman in the locker right next to me the other day and she was putting lotion all over her body next to me. I mean there is a time and a place for the lotion people!

At my old gym there was this chick who worked out before work and she would shower and then do everything else first before finally getting dressed as the last step. She would walk around the locker room in her flip flops and nothing else. She'd brush her teeth, apply all her creams and lotions, dry and style her hair, apply makeup, give herself pedicures, etc. Then after all else was done she'd get dressed. I think she enjoyed being naked. And she would take hours getting ready. I know this because she'd be in the shower when I arrived at the gym and still be getting dressed as I left. LOL. I'd forgotten all about her...

Okay, wait - why do you care? I work out and then I have to go back to work after. Some days, I'm HOT. Even after a cool shower, I'm on the verge of sweating again, and it's way too hot to get dressed right away. I put on my underwear, but otherwise, I'm mostly naked. I do my hair, makeup, put lotion on, jewelry, everything possible, and then put my clothes on DEAD LAST.

I actually don't care. Not even a little. :| I cared so little that I had forgotten about it until I read the previous post which reminded me of it, so I shared the story. Sorry if it offended you. That wasn't my intention.

I do think it's amusing though, since most people don't prance around naked in public for hours on end. They tend to want to get dressed ASAP. To me, the amusing part is not the nakedness - that's pretty standard for a locker room. The funny part is that she spent hours getting ready, completely naked the entire time. She's the only person I've seen doing that in the decades that I've been going to gyms. And of course I noticed it. She was there all the time with the same routine. You tend to notice people when you see them all the time.

Wait! I care! I never see women prancing around naked in the locker room where I work out. Maybe I'm at the wrong gym?

Nope. Just the wrong locker room. ;)
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    The lack of pizza and beer.... how's a boy suppose to want to keep coming back?
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    My biggest peeve by FAR is people who talk during Group Fitness Classes. Not only is it incredibly rude and disrespectful to the Instructor....it's rude in ANY group situation like a lecture, a movie, or even children talking in class while the teacher is lecturing/instructing. There's little stuff (not wiping machines) in the regular gym area that bother me a little....but I'm blown away at the small group of people in one of my Les Mills Body Pump Classes who *literally* talk during the entire 60 minutes right over the Instructor. Loudly. We all pay to be there and I cannot imagine disregarding the other 30+ people to chat.

It's not like "comments" here and there that we all do at some point. The weird part is that these same 3 ladies take the class several times per week (just like I do)....but only talk during the class where the Instructor is a younger woman rather than the OTHER 2 ladies that instruct Body Pump who are more late 30's to early 40's (and strict). So it seems like they just really don't care about the other people in the class OR the instructor just because she's young. I didn't notice the latter until last week when the *young* instructor was on vacation and one of our normal instructors took over the class....and they shut their traps and I didn't hear a word the entire class. So I assume it's some sort of "old vs really young" hen-like disrespect. Whatever it is...it takes everything I have not to scream "Could you STFU? We are all paying $70 per month to attend this gym and actually be INSTRUCTED in classes!"