Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I "eat clean" most of the time and would rather eat tons of yummy healthier food then eating less yummy junk. Seems unpopular around these parts. Works for me though I eat like a queen

Because anyone not eating clean is malnourished....

Please point out the person advocating a non nutritious diet...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I "eat clean" most of the time and would rather eat tons of yummy healthier food then eating less yummy junk. Seems unpopular around these parts. Works for me though I eat like a queen

People meeting their nutritional needs and hitting their calorie goals while eating the foods they enjoy is just about the most popular opinion I've seen here. I am not sure why you think it's unpopular.

I actually, on further reading of this post, think the poster is suggesting they eat entirely "clean" (whatever it means to them) and prefer it because they feel they can eat more that way, than if they ate entirely junk. I could be mistaken, and the poster is striking a balance, which is in fact, what most people here strive for - primarily nutrient dense foods with a smaller focus on treats in moderation.

I'd be interested in the clarification if @dragonfly_66 is interested in sharing.

That's curious to me because some of the most calorie-dense foods in my diet are usually included in common definitions of "clean foods" (avocado, whole grains, coconut, vegetables like potatoes), so eating "clean" wouldn't necessarily result in me eating "tons" of food. Of course, the poster making this point may not like those foods.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

People meeting their nutritional needs and hitting their calorie goals while eating the foods they enjoy is just about the most popular opinion I've seen here. I am not sure why you think it's unpopular.

I actually, on further reading of this post, think the poster is suggesting they eat entirely "clean" (whatever it means to them) and prefer it because they feel they can eat more that way, than if they ate entirely junk. I could be mistaken, and the poster is striking a balance, which is in fact, what most people here strive for - primarily nutrient dense foods with a smaller focus on treats in moderation.

I'd be interested in the clarification if @dragonfly_66 is interested in sharing.

That's curious to me because some of the most calorie-dense foods in my diet are usually included in common definitions of "clean foods" (avocado, whole grains, coconut, vegetables like potatoes), so eating "clean" wouldn't necessarily result in me eating "tons" of food. Of course, the poster making this point may not like those foods.

Maybe they really like kale. You can eat a LOT of kale. ;)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This details the actual Queen's (Elizabeth) diet. To be honest, I'm 100% on board with this. Pre-lunch gin, afternoon tea, biscuits, cake, afternoon tea, chocolate, chocolate mousse, steamed fish, chicken salad, steak and rounded off with a glass of champers before bed. And she's a ripe old age so she must be doing something right.

'Scuse me while I stock up on Prestat chocs and steak.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/what-the-queen-eats-and-drinks-breakfast-lunch-dinner-a7602121.html

Oddly enough, I recently just listened to a podcast discussing Queen Victoria's diet. Here's an article: http://www.historyextra.com/article/bbc-history-magazine/queen-victoria’s-appetites

"Her majesty is very fond of all kinds of pies..."

I am sensing, like the Queen of Hearts, that a common theme in queenly eating involves jam, pies, and tarts.

"In 1526, a fast meal served to Henry VIII and Katharine of Aragon included 'soup, herring, cod, lampreys, pike, salmon, whiting, haddock, plaice, bream, porpoise, seal, carp, trout, crabs, lobsters, custard, tart, fritters and fruit’. And this was just the first course!"
  • dragonfly_66
    dragonfly_66 Posts: 48 Member
    Yep those are great points! I also def live off hot sauce.
    My point was just that saying you're trying to eat clean (only for lack of a better one) gets responses that indicate it's not popular phrase at the very least.
  • dragonfly_66
    dragonfly_66 Posts: 48 Member
    Yeah it's a *kitten* phrase. Lots of MLM schemes love it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    This details the actual Queen's (Elizabeth) diet. To be honest, I'm 100% on board with this. Pre-lunch gin, afternoon tea, biscuits, cake, afternoon tea, chocolate, chocolate mousse, steamed fish, chicken salad, steak and rounded off with a glass of champers before bed. And she's a ripe old age so she must be doing something right.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/what-the-queen-eats-and-drinks-breakfast-lunch-dinner-a7602121.html

Oddly enough, I recently just listened to a podcast discussing Queen Victoria's diet. Here's an article: http://www.historyextra.com/article/bbc-history-magazine/queen-victoria’s-appetites

I am sensing, like the Queen of Hearts, that a common theme in queenly eating involves jam, pies, and tarts.

"In 1526, a fast meal served to Henry VIII and Katharine of Aragon included 'soup, herring, cod, lampreys, pike, salmon, whiting, haddock, plaice, bream, porpoise, seal, carp, trout, crabs, lobsters, custard, tart, fritters and fruit’. And this was just the first course!"

I love that.

I found this a bit disturbing, although the historian interviewed on the podcast I listened to claimed she had tried it and it was tasty: https://worldofbooze.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/a-victorian-christmas-claret-and-whisky-in-the-same-glass/

"Queen Victoria’s drink of choice was a mixture of claret and whisky."

(Maybe QV should have contributed this opinion to the unpopular opinions thread of her day!)

I suspect whisky is fantastic under any circumstances when you are drinking it with a strapping bekilted Scotsman at Balmoral.

My guilty pleasure is that "Reign" show. Such lovely people and costumes. A little naughty, but not too much.

Sadly, nary a kilt to be seen. Yet.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

I love that.

I found this a bit disturbing, although the historian interviewed on the podcast I listened to claimed she had tried it and it was tasty: https://worldofbooze.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/a-victorian-christmas-claret-and-whisky-in-the-same-glass/

"Queen Victoria’s drink of choice was a mixture of claret and whisky."

(Maybe QV should have contributed this opinion to the unpopular opinions thread of her day!)

I suspect whisky is fantastic under any circumstances when you are drinking it with a strapping bekilted Scotsman at Balmoral.

My guilty pleasure is that "Reign" show. Such lovely people and costumes. A little naughty, but not too much.

Sadly, nary a kilt to be seen. Yet.

Yeah - my wife and I watch(ed) that one, too. We have yet to get around to S4, which is the last. When we're done with Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl (finished LoT), we'll probably get to Reign and iZombie.
This discussion has been closed.