Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The food industry has one goal, to get you to consume as much as possible for the cheapest cost at the highest price... None of you can disagree with this statement, and if you do agree with this statement, than you have to agree that they are philosophically against you...

It's not shocking that the point of a business is to make money, but I completely disagree that they are philosophically against people. They offer what sells, and what sells is decided by the customer because if it doesn't it's no longer profitable. They are philosophically for the customer because the customer is the main factor in this equation. They are not deliberately selling things that are "bad for you". They are selling these things because people want them.

Why do they make their fries salty? Because people like them that way, and those who don't like them heavily salted pick the "lightly salted" option. I know I do. I also know that the "lightly salted" option is not offered because they care about your health just like they offer the heavily salted option regardless of your blood pressure status and not because they want to make you sick, but for one simple reason: it's not their job to care.

People at the farmer's market don't care about your health either. All they care about is making a living. So don't give into this and stop handing money to those who want to take it.

You see we really agree that the fast food industry doesn't care about your health, we just disagree about their methods towards profit...

Your perspective is just too naive for me to buy in to.... They are not simply trying to offer what people want, they are much smarter than that.

There is just more to super sized portions than offering people what they want... Your fooling yourself if you believe they are not trying to get people to buy more than they really want...

Umm...bigger portions = less profit...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if any roasted brussels sprouts contain gluten and, if so... why?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if any roasted brussels sprouts contain gluten and, if so... why?

Well, I'm drinking a can of Parrot brand Coconut water right now that proudly proclaims "Gluten Free!!!" and wondered the same kind of thing... how many other brands of Coconut water actually do have gluten. ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The food industry has one goal, to get you to consume as much as possible for the cheapest cost at the highest price... None of you can disagree with this statement, and if you do agree with this statement, than you have to agree that they are philosophically against you...

It's not shocking that the point of a business is to make money, but I completely disagree that they are philosophically against people. They offer what sells, and what sells is decided by the customer because if it doesn't it's no longer profitable. They are philosophically for the customer because the customer is the main factor in this equation. They are not deliberately selling things that are "bad for you". They are selling these things because people want them.

Why do they make their fries salty? Because people like them that way, and those who don't like them heavily salted pick the "lightly salted" option. I know I do. I also know that the "lightly salted" option is not offered because they care about your health just like they offer the heavily salted option regardless of your blood pressure status and not because they want to make you sick, but for one simple reason: it's not their job to care.

People at the farmer's market don't care about your health either. All they care about is making a living. So don't give into this and stop handing money to those who want to take it.

You see we really agree that the fast food industry doesn't care about your health, we just disagree about their methods towards profit...

Your perspective is just too naive for me to buy in to.... They are not simply trying to offer what people want, they are much smarter than that.

There is just more to super sized portions than offering people what they want... Your fooling yourself if you believe they are not trying to get people to buy more than they really want...

Every single industry doesn't care about your health. Scratch that every single company doesn't care about your health. Not even a mom and pop shop. They also don't care about your sickness either, yet you're making it sound suspiciously as if they purposely want to make you sick for some nefarious goal only you know.

The problem here is people with the mindset you seem to have shown tend to rely on "they dont want dead customers" as a way of justifying "safety" and support of new chemical additives, etc. added by a company, when in fact they don't really care as long as they don't have to deal with a negative result that costs them money.

They are not evil, they are neutral, they want more money first and foremost. Which means others should analyze the results and promotion of their products, not because they are evil or good, but because they will only do what they determine 1) best for profit and 2) cheapest. Mom and pops are quite different, and can actually be of any kind of extreme depending on all kinds of factors, including how aware they even are of their goals, some actually do have businesses with profit not the primary reason, and they don't have to function in the interest of profit...this can be bad too but its another discussion and they shouldn't really be lumped together.

Many of the problems with certain processed products are not going to be very obvious. Many health effects wont show up for a long time if ever, and most you can eat some of the product and not ever see any effects. Being "OMG corporations are evil" is just the other side of "its been tested by the corp, its fine". Its better for people's health to have a healthy suspicion and analyze things from both sides. In fact many of the health effects that are currently being noted are much harder to analyze than they used to be, and much harder for random layperson to even extract information from a study, especially with unhelpful sensational headlines bringing it to your attention.

I find over and over the general idea here that processed food is healthy and no different than any other food, and ridiculing anyone who says otherwise by painting them as extremes and dismissing them. Most of this is done with little to no info, acting as an "expert", it feels kind of like the "in" thing here. Probably part of this is in reaction to all kinds of promoted diets and "health foods" of the opposite extreme. But to those people who do pay attention to the studies, in general we know processed foods have shown to be inferior in most all cases studied, and is bad information to say they aren't any different. That processed food isn't going to kill you is probably true, we won't know that off a study you like to quote that finds "no difference" though. And we won't even know for certain if it does take a year or two off someone's life, or maybe just a year or two off of mobile life worth living, even if we followed that individual all their life, because its large averages in populations over time that is needed to really show an effect. We all know extremes and exceptions of anything and can post some examples that will kill you, "natural" or no. We all can find examples of processing which are good. These are not the issue. The idea is moderation and analysis and to stay away from extremes, and determine what is likely, and stay away from things with possible costs, IF its not going to cause "too much" difficulty in your particular case to do.

Let's take a short review of sucralose for example, which is highly defended here. Studies in total do not see strong effects from taking it without large dosages. However, even in studies which determine it is "safe", we do see highly probable health effects. Subjects killed in these studies show inflamed filter organs, and shrunken immune organs off normal, but do not die, before they are killed anyways. Is it possible they may die earlier, or have less function later, or be more prone to infection, or be more prone to disease of the very important filter organs, or show increased disease of the affected organs combined with some other factor, or be more prone to hypertrophy and tumor in inflamed areas, or have eventual scarring of inflamed organs, or show less reaction over all to immune challenges...? These and many questions are logical results of such findings, but have not and will not be studied because there is no money in it. So there are many intelligent objections to just taking a substance of unresolved concerns, without it being "its going to kill you!". The actual sum total of these studies does not show "its safe", it shows there probably is a low level negative health consequence to this substance, we arent sure, but inflammation of filter organs is never a good thing, and shrinkage of the thymus can reduce immune function. The only question is whether a low dose can have such an effect...which we also cant answer...

Human trials? Please provide a reference to a single human trial of sucralose where the participants were killed en masse.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    So don't give in this lunch or dinner to the marketer's and food engineers at fast food chains, their very profits are bet against your ability to free that super hero inside of you! Think about it, why do they have to make their frys so salty?

And remember that if you really know better and give in to McDonald's and the food industry anyway... Then csardiver is right... Otherwise be ready to fight for your health because they are against you, don't believe they are not...

Now it's up to you to eat wise and exercise!

So if I go to McD's or Wendy's or Jack or any other food establishment and get a salad with plain grilled chicken (no fries, no burger, etc), have I then given in to the 'establishment' and lost my soul in the process?!?!?

Imagine if you ordered a cheeseburger and fries!!! >:)>:)>:)

mmm fries

giphy.gif

When the US obesity rate reaches 90%, "Mmm Fries" will officially replace "E Pluribus Unum" on all of our currency...

giphy.gif

ETA: we can air fry them if you want :*
This discussion has been closed.