July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty one thing on treadmills.... it might not be your watch that's totally off. I've seen some very badly calibrated treadmills....

Great job running, and, I forgot to say before, congrats/awesome job running your first HM. !

I never thought it could be the treadmill that was the problem. Go figure.

What I'd really like to know is, why is it that when I'm on the treadmill I can barely get below 12:00/mile whereas when I run outdoors I have no trouble getting to about 10:45/mile? I feel like I'm putting in the same effort, so I don't get it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

What I'd really like to know is, why is it that when I'm on the treadmill I can barely get below 12:00/mile whereas when I run outdoors I have no trouble getting to about 10:45/mile? I feel like I'm putting in the same effort, so I don't get it.

Lots of possibilities, different cadence, your Garmin is estimating your pace based on recorded stride length from oitdoor runs, and it could be off, the TM could be off, to name a few. Thats part of why i like to go by effort/HR when I'm on a TM, that gives me a better indication of my workload. I look at pace more when I'm oitside.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    RespectTheKitty wrote: »

It could be you just hate the treadmill. I do ok but there are many here that just hate running on those machines.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

While it is possible your equipment is off, what is more likely is:
    1. Air flow around a treadmill is much less so you get no cooling effect from moving air and you run in a pocket of your own CO2
    2. Treadmill enforces a strict pace, most people vary their pace as they run. The forced pace could be more draining to stay on perfect cadence.
    3. There are no visual queues for your pace, no matter how fast you run the world stays put.
    4. If you hate the treadmill as most runners do, you are not in the right mindset when you run
    5. Related to #2. Outside you probably have some curve of acceleration to pace, where treadmill does not allow for that

Or any combination thereof, but probably mostly the mental game. Personally I can bearly manage an hour on the treadmill, while outside I easily run 1.5 to 2 hours.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    You all are so sweet, thanks for the well wishes. I know it will pass just a matter of waiting for it to do so. Skip and I purchased our RoadIDs about 4 years ago and she wore hers everywhere she went because she had no form of ID before she started to drive. They also are very good to runners as a company. They helped sponsor our Elementary School Track and Field meet this past year. They provided discount coupons for the all the participants and free RoadID coupons to all the school coaches. I also hand out coupons and information at the beginning of the season to our Cross Country team. So important if something ever happened while you are out running.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options

@MobyCarp "IMO, the Garmin race predictor has bypassed Artificial Intelligence and proceeded directly to Mechanized Stupidity."

LOL
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Last Wednesday I had what I thought were minor shin problems, so took an unscheduled rest day on Thursday. On Friday it hurt to even walk, so sadly had to DNS my half marathon on Sunday. It's been getting slowly better since then and I've been increasing my walking distance over the week. Today I braved a run to work and luckily no pain/niggles in affected areas. Felt so good I decided to run home afterwards as well. Both were at very easy pace, but did include some decent gradients so should have tested out all relevant muscles.

Anyway, will try for two shorter runs tomorrow (about 3k each way to my voluntary job) before resting over the weekend and trying something longer next week.

Given disappointment of missing my HM, I avoided logging in here but that means I'm now 400 posts behind so afraid I'm just going to have to skip those.

exercise.png

1-July: 11.51km - easy 6.5k; HM pace last 5k
    2-July: 19.26km - easy(-ish)
    3-July: 12.84km - MP-easy
    5-July: 6.51km - Very easy
    13-July: 5.61km - easy
    13-July: 5.00km easy

Upcoming Races:
    9-July: Southend HM (DNS - Injury)
    ?? 22-Oct: Chelmsford Marathon ?? [Undecided]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Do you know the cause of the vertigo? I've always had issues with dizziness and got car sick a lot as a kid. I still get simulation sickness. But only vertigo twice. Once from being on/ in a choppy lake all day and another time a few years back after running.

I found this maneuvers that helped.
    http://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo

Hope it gets better soon. It's horrible to have. I do road ID too. It stays on the shifter in the car unless I'm running or biking.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @garygse Thanks! Ha, an uber would definitely be needed to meet mine too. Garmin predicts I could run my half 40 mins faster. I know I have a lot of room for improvement, but I can't figure out where it's getting these numbers from.

@MobyCarp lol I'm happy to hear you could only meet the predictions if taking something on the side. Thanks for checking/sharing :) I also took note of all your zone talk earlier, so thanks!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Last Wednesday I had what I thought were minor shin problems, so took an unscheduled rest day on Thursday. On Friday it hurt to even walk, so sadly had to DNS my half marathon on Sunday. It's been getting slowly better since then and I've been increasing my walking distance over the week. Today I braved a run to work and luckily no pain/niggles in affected areas. Felt so good I decided to run home afterwards as well. Both were at very easy pace, but did include some decent gradients so should have tested out all relevant muscles.

Anyway, will try for two shorter runs tomorrow (about 3k each way to my voluntary job) before resting over the weekend and trying something longer next week.

Given disappointment of missing my HM, I avoided logging in here but that means I'm now 400 posts behind so afraid I'm just going to have to skip those.

That stinks about the DNS. Maybe once you are passed your injury you can schedule a 13.1 mile run and try to run it like a substitute race?

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @AriellesMama - Welcome!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    July goal: 55 miles

7/2: 4.3 miles
    7/3: 3.7 miles
    7/4: 3.8 miles
    7/5: 2.3 miles
    7/9: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 2.5 miles
    7/12: 2.8 miles

23.9/55 miles

It was even hotter today than yesterday. I expected to have a slow, miserable run. I was pleasantly surprised that I had a great run. I enjoyed almost all of it. The last .8 miles kind of sucked, but the first part was great and I ran a little faster than I have been averaging lately. I considered not running because of the heat, but I'm glad I did it. I have to drive my mom to Dallas tomorrow (a 2.5 hour drive) for a doctor's appointment so I won't be able to get a run tomorrow. Besides, it is July in Texas. It will either be hot or miserably hot so I figure I might as well just get it done. It did occur to me today that I might be running a little faster just so I could be finished sooner.

exercise.png

I'm in Texas too. Just north of Fort Worth before you get to Denton. It has been sooo very hot! And humid.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    starting mid month and have a daily goal rather than miles, I am newish to running i was doing pretty good last year but sprained both of my feet in a fall. So I am pretty much starting over! working up to being able to run a mile again... baby steps.

exercise.png

Welcome!
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    I only have 5 miles with run/jog. I just started back running after about 5 years off. Reading all of these posts can be a little intimidating. :-)

Welcome!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @seanevan10 Hey I'm in Ardmore ok. No too far from you!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    July goal: 55 miles

7/2: 4.3 miles
    7/3: 3.7 miles
    7/4: 3.8 miles
    7/5: 2.3 miles
    7/9: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 2.5 miles
    7/12: 2.8 miles

23.9/55 miles

It was even hotter today than yesterday. I expected to have a slow, miserable run. I was pleasantly surprised that I had a great run. I enjoyed almost all of it. The last .8 miles kind of sucked, but the first part was great and I ran a little faster than I have been averaging lately. I considered not running because of the heat, but I'm glad I did it. I have to drive my mom to Dallas tomorrow (a 2.5 hour drive) for a doctor's appointment so I won't be able to get a run tomorrow. Besides, it is July in Texas. It will either be hot or miserably hot so I figure I might as well just get it done. It did occur to me today that I might be running a little faster just so I could be finished sooner.

exercise.png

I'm in Texas too. Just north of Fort Worth before you get to Denton. It has been sooo very hot! And humid.

My son is at school in Denton.