Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Another unpopular opinion I have is that fat-shaming has its place as long as the person doesn't have a legitimate eating disorder or medical problem. Hey, I was obese and if it wasn't for being fat-shamed I'd be even bigger today instead of 195lbs and 10%bf with an addiction to nutrition and working out. So don't say I haven't walked in their shoes. The problem I have with it is your obesity is affecting EVERYONE. Medical costs, health insurance costs, fast food on every corner from demand, you flowing onto my lap on the plane, etc, etc, etc.

I remember a world where everyone wasn't so damned fragile, where people weren't obsessed with political correctness, and (gasp) people communicated honestly. Tactful, honest, constructive criticism has a place in society and redacting honesty from communication to spare feelings can (and has) enable(d) people to comfortably engage in destructive behavior and suffer real damage that is far beyond anything that words can inflict upon them.

Yeah, the PE teacher told the kids who couldn't run a mile they were out of shape. Maybe had them run extra to fix the issue instead of letting them sit in the shade or stroll around the track like we do now

The problem with the snowflaking of America is that this generation has lost their resiliency to mean words. Kids are killing themselves over verbal bullying and shaming that wouldn't have even ruined my day when I was a kid.

Hmm. Kids weren't bothered at all by bullying back in the good old days is definitely NOT the world I grew up in. People were less likely to give those kids a recourse and more likely to let them think if they were made fun of daily to an intolerable degree or even physically attacked regularly it was their own fault, and something more to feel shame about, yeah. I recall being regularly made miserable to the point I was basically sick in school for a period of time and hiding it from my parents since I didn't want them to also know I was a loser.

This was not a positive experience for me that made me a better and stronger person later in life. I think I would have been stronger in some ways if my parents had had a clue (or the teachers had, or had cared) and I'd been moved to a different school or class, I dunno. I do know it messed me up to some degree into my adulthood.

I was never fat as a kid, for the record. (Did this play into why I emotionally ate and later got fat? Who knows, I wouldn't say it did or didn't and that's something I can work on and fix.)

But sneering at kids who are victims of bullying is really lame. As is being unaware that it can be a problem.

Strawman alert. This is not the issue at hand, but the process that was put into place handling bullying.

Calling someone's behavior a symptom of the "snowflaking of America" can legitimately be read as a sneer. It might not have been how it was meant, but "snowflake" is commonly used to demean people.

Let's establish the parameters then. If you need a safe space when confronted with an opposing view is the term appropriate?

That's not what we are talking about. (Seems like the people involved in this debate aren't frightened of hearing opposing views and standing up for what we think, no?)

I'm specifically talking about the comment I quoted.

The term bully has been used by snowflakes in these circumstances, so the definition and parameters have certainly expanded in a generation.

There is certainly a correlation between the increased ease of life in Western civilization and the increase in snowflakes. Causation could never be proven as the entire concept is subjective and only exists when the individuals allow bullying to occur. In the case of the anti-bullying campaign this made the issue profoundly worse. Expanding the definition of bullying to a completely subjective behavior and offering no corrective measure.

Are you arguing that bullying isn't a problem? Or are you arguing that we now define behavior as bullying that we wouldn't have in the past?

The term "snowflake" means so many different things to people online, it's difficult for me to tell exactly what it means to you.

I have seen the term 'bullying' applied to something as simple as strongly disagreeing with someone, so I would say that what is classified as 'bullying' today has a much broader definition than what our generation would have called 'bullying'.

I agree with this. The same with "shaming" and "judging" - these were once very grave acts that had very heavy, serious connotations. Now the most benign comments are found to be the decimators of self-esteem and spark (faux?) outrage about sensitivity and self-esteem.

I referenced a dadbod as being "dumpy" earlier in this thread and was accused of "body shaming". My dad actually told me I was getting dumpy in my 20s because...I was getting dumpy. It stung a little and then I got over it.

Not to beat a dead, or dumpy horse, but context is everything. If my dad told me I was getting dumpy (btw, he has) I would take it as coming from a family member concerned about me. Some a$$hat on the street calling me dumpy has no entree into my life or circumstances and therefore no right to say it. The motives are different. One is my dad worried about my health. The other is an idiot trying to shame me. Again, I have plenty of tickets to Hell to give to people like the latter.

Exactly.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Some believe hunger is a fearful terrible thing to be avoided at all costs.

I kinda like it. A little twinge in my tummy makes me feel pleased with myself and I enjoy my food more when I do eat it.

Actually I feel much the same way. Sometimes I find that hunger focuses me, makes food taste better and more enjoyable. I vastly prefer a big meal or two to several small bites (and I almost never "snack").
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that being fat has nothing to do with sugar.

Not even proximately? Doesn't sugar tend to make food more delicious, increasing the tendency to consume greater quantities of it, and potentially resulting in consuming more calories than one burns?

Sure, if you interpret it that way then being fat is also related to dietary fat, salt, spices, herbs, aromatics, maillard reaction, yeast, flavorings, packaging, coloring agents, texture agents, strategic shelf placement, peer pressure, and more. All of these make food more appealing, so singling out sugar makes no sense.

So you're saying sugar DOES contribute to making one fat?

There is only one thing that definitively causes someone to be overweight/obese/morbidly obese. Eating too many calories for their individual energy balance (CI > CO). These excess calories can come from foods which contain sugar (rarely do people eat straight table sugar but some insist it happens), but more often than not, the foods contain myriad other ingredients so the point is, why single out sugar? Still others have pointed out that they gained weight eating a lot of non-sugary foods, I myself am one of those. I got fat from eating a little too much, of a lot of different foods, and becoming much more sedentary, but don't have a particularly strong sweet tooth.

People tend to focus more on sugar because the recommended American diet is so high in carbs which convert to glucose much more easily than say protein.

Guess whose diets are also high in carbs, even higher than the US? The blue zones, the healthiest and longest living places on earth.

Which carbs do they eat?

Why do you care, you simply said the US diet is high in carbs.

I don't see how that response is helpful in any way.
  • theresejesu
    edited July 2017
    Options
    But that's far from the only reason. From that same source:
    Scientists and researchers rely on mice and rats for several reasons. One is convenience: rodents are small, easily housed and maintained, and adapt well to new surroundings. They also reproduce quickly and have a short lifespan of two to three years, so several generations of mice can be observed in a relatively short period of time.

Mice and rats are also relatively inexpensive and can be bought in large quantities from commercial producers that breed rodents specifically for research. The rodents are also generally mild-tempered and docile, making them easy for researchers to handle, although some types of mice and rats can be more difficult to restrain than others.

Most of the mice and rats used in medical trials are inbred so that, other than sex differences, they are almost identical genetically. This helps make the results of medical trials more uniform, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute. As a minimum requirement, mice used in experiments must be of the same purebred species.

So, besides the reason you quoted above, they're cheap, easy to house and maintain, adaptable, short-lived, malleable, and frequently inbred. I don't think these other factors irrelevant, if @stanmann571 is correct in stating that
    animal trials. especially mice, have almost zero correlation or relevance to human metabolic behavior.

And none of the other reasons you quoted above negate the point I was making which is why it was unnecessary to include them.

And the portion I did quote does indeed negate his claim. The other factors have no relevance to his claim, and conflating issues doesn't make them have any relevance, it just confuses the picture.

The reason his claim is false is precisely because

Another reason rodents are used as models in medical testing is that their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. "Rats and mice are mammals that share many]/u] processes with humans and are appropriate for use to answer many research questions," said Jenny Haliski, a representative for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare."

https://www.livescience.com/32860-why-do-medical-researchers-use-mice.html

That does not sound at all the same as

"animal trials. especially mice, have almost zero correlation or relevance to human metabolic behavior."

How can mice share many processes with humans, with their genetic, biologic and behavior characteristics closely resembling those of humans, and end up with almost zero correlation or relevance to human metabolism?

That makes no logical sense.

So which should we believe?

• theresejesu
        Options
        I really think there's something to Intermittent Fasting....

I agree. :)
      • theresejesu
        Options
        tomteboda wrote: »
        Here is something interesting about salt. Evidently a higher salt intake can trigger fat burning. I read a news article recently where cosmonauts who were being given salt tablets in space to decrease fluid intake, were finding they were outputting more water in their urine than they could account for with intake. They were also finding they needed a higher caloric intake to maintain their weight.

This was extremely puzzling until it was realized that the ingestion of salt at that level was triggering the burning of stored fat, which released the water stored with it, which then was adding to their hydration.

NOT FAT burning. Change in water weight. That's it. I actually looked at the study. Not the Dailynews.uk clickbait article.

If salt intake is high enough, the production of glucocorticoid hormones increase, which influence metabolism and immune function. This was one of the hypotheses offered in the article:

INCREASED SALT CONSUMPTION INDUCES BODY WATER CONSERVATION AND DECREASES FLUID INTAKE

published in JCI April 17, 2017

In followup animal studies on mice by Titze, one of the authors of the study above, he found that as he increased salt in their diet, the less water they drank, and discovered they were increasing production of glucocorticoid hormones which then broke down fat and muscle releasing water.

I'm not saying people should start drastically increasing their salt intake, as there are potential problems with increased glucocorticoid homrmone increases, such as type 2 diabetes, etc.

I do find this to be very interesting however.

We've discussed this study before. Here's a good piece on it (if the study is still available in full I cannot find it):
        https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-04-high-salt-diet-decreases-thirst-hunger.html
        It takes a lot of energy to conserve water in the face of salt excretion. To do it, the body either must take in more fuel or break down muscle mass. "This predisposes to overeating," said the reports' senior author, Jens Titze, M.D., associate professor of Medicine and of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics....

Unexpectedly, when dietary salt was increased from six to 12 grams a day, the men drank less water, not more. That suggested they conserved or produced more water.

In a subsequent study in mice, the researchers showed that high salt induces a catabolic state driven by glucocorticoids that breaks down muscle protein, which is converted into urea by the liver. Urea enables the kidneys to reabsorb water and prevent body water loss while the salt is excreted.

Muscle wasting is a high price to pay for avoiding dehydration. The alternative is bringing in more fuel - eating more. That may be why the men in the study complained they were hungry.

Water conservation in response to a high-salt diet may have pathological consequences. Increased levels of glucocorticoids are an independent risk factor for diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
        "We have always focused on the role of salt in arterial hypertension. Our findings suggest that there is much more to know—a high salt intake may predispose to metabolic syndrome," Titze said

So I would not recommend increasing salt as a weight loss trick. For other reasons if appropriate, sure.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the idea that they were considering 6 g salt a day "low salt" and 12 g "high salt"

For reference, the RDA is for most people 1.5 to 2 grams daily.

I don't think the were calling 6g/day "low" salt.

They were using two levels of increased salt intake and comparing results.
      • snickerscharlie
        snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
        Options
        jseams1234 wrote: »

Not even proximately? Doesn't sugar tend to make food more delicious, increasing the tendency to consume greater quantities of it, and potentially resulting in consuming more calories than one burns?

Sure, if you interpret it that way then being fat is also related to dietary fat, salt, spices, herbs, aromatics, maillard reaction, yeast, flavorings, packaging, coloring agents, texture agents, strategic shelf placement, peer pressure, and more. All of these make food more appealing, so singling out sugar makes no sense.

Everything contributes to making one fat smh

Well I agree. Even smells can trigger fat storage, etc.

So smells can trigger fat storage, now? And what the etc. part?

Absolutely - I smell bacon and I eat it all. Same with pizza... it's like blood in the water for sharks. I imagine it would be a lot easier to avoid certain foods if they didn't smell so darned good. ;)

Actually, it seems just the smell itself is enough, no food needed. ;) I'll have to find the reference.

I'd be interested in seeing this.
      • stevencloser
        stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
        Options
        jseams1234 wrote: »

Everything contributes to making one fat smh

Well I agree. Even smells can trigger fat storage, etc.

So smells can trigger fat storage, now? And what the etc. part?

Absolutely - I smell bacon and I eat it all. Same with pizza... it's like blood in the water for sharks. I imagine it would be a lot easier to avoid certain foods if they didn't smell so darned good. ;)

Actually, it seems just the smell itself is enough, no food needed. ;) I'll have to find the reference.

I'd be interested in seeing this.

It was rats.
      This discussion has been closed.