Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    All of this dairy talk brings up an unpopular opinion that I have:
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

How about when people go on about a meatless lasagna.

Ah, you mean a casserole.

I'm Sicilian so that really offends me... lol!

Even though the meatless sauce is still layered with sheets of pasta?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I hate the very concept of alternative milks. Okay, I get it, if you have a medical reason and can't process dairy then use the almond/soy/cashew or whatever milk in your smoothie/coffee/cereal, etc. Or, get Lactiad. I've seen nothing that convinces me that they are healthier or better alternatives to plain ol' dairy. They may be lower calories, but that doesn't automatically make them more nutritious.
    +1. It's like when people say "I'm eating cauliflower pizza". IT AIN'T PIZZA if it's cauliflower.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Beat me to it. Pretty sure that a cheese Lasagna is still Lasagna... May not be Sicilian, but....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Beat me to it. Pretty sure that a cheese Lasagna is still Lasagna... May not be Sicilian, but....

Haha...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

We always looked at that Sicilian side of our family kind of funny anyway.

My grandmother never put cheese in her lasagna. She said her mother only made it that way when she was married to her second husband (the Sicilian) then stopped when he died.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited August 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, still not lasagna...

I'm in the UK and we don't use casserole as a descriptor for such a broad range of items as in the US (and certainly never for anything with pasta) so I don't know what else we'd call a pasta layered dish identical in every way to traditional lasagne save for the sauce. Just like pasta cooked with a sauce in the oven is pasta bake and not casserole which I think is what it would be called in the US (though I may be remembering that incorrectly).

Just to add, I understand it's not a traditional dish but then there are lots of variations within many cultures. It's just the passage of time and natural progression.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited August 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, keeping kosher precludes blending meat and dairy, so the options are:
    • All-meat lasagne (I'm vegetarian, but I have a recipe I make for hubby)
    • Cheese lasagne
    • Using substitutes for one or the other or both, e.g. vegetarian ground 'beef'; Daiya 'cheese'

I fully own that having always been kosher, I've never tried the authentic version and have no clue what I'm missing. But the pale imitations are pretty darn tasty with a good marinara!
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited August 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, still not lasagna...

I'm in the UK and we don't use casserole as a descriptor for such a broad range of items as in the US (and certainly never for anything with pasta) so I don't know what else we'd call a pasta layered dish identical in every way to traditional lasagne save for the sauce. Just like pasta cooked with a sauce in the oven is pasta bake and not casserole which I think is what it would be called in the US (though I may be remembering that incorrectly).

Just to add, I understand it's not a traditional dish but then there are lots of variations within many cultures. It's just the passage of time and natural progression.

I'm curious @VintageFeline... what is a casserole in the UK? Is there anything you'd call a casserole, or is it just not a term used?
  • J72FIT

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My grandmother never put cheese in her lasagna. She said her mother only made it that way when she was married to her second husband (the Sicilian) then stopped when he died.

Yeah I am familiar with that...
  • J72FIT

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

According to Wikipedia, and I haven't dug through the sources, Lasagna is Neapolitan and was originally meatless.

Oh I better not tell my Grandmother that...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

According to Wikipedia, and I haven't dug through the sources, Lasagna is Neapolitan and was originally meatless.

Oh I better not tell my Grandmother that...

I hear that, My wife and by logical application my MIL are Sicilian.
This discussion has been closed.