Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    lynn6241 wrote: »
    I haven't voiced this before because it is very non MFP of me

I believe you can lose weight safely and get all the nutrition required on a VLC (800-900 calories) diet by eating the right (i.e. healthy) foods and cutting out "junk".

I would like to see a log of a week showing this actually...

I believe that 1200 is the min here for a reason....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,

I get what's bothering me about your narrative.

You aren't accepting responsibility for your weight regain.

It just happened, gosh darn it all.

How's that for an unpopular opinion?

And in your opinion, it will just happen to all of us, like it "just happened" to all those other people you keep mentioning.

Not one of them was responsible, those pounds just threw themselves at you poor defenseless people.

You didn't overeat a single thing.

You didn't stop weighing yourself and ignore the weight creep.

You didn't notice your clothes getting tighter and having to buy new sizes year after year after year.

It just bloody happened.

That's the difference between success stories and all the folks you knew.

People who succeed, and people who try to succeed nip bad behavior in the bud somewhere along the way by owning that behavior.

Even now, you still sound like you're playing craps instead of undertaking the task of managing your weight when you talk about being back here on MFP.

Good luck with that.

Wow. And that wasn't smug?

No it was honest.

Your honesty could do with a touch of compassion...

True honesty rarely is.

It needs to be...

Why?

You can be honest with someone and show compassion for their struggles at the same time...

Compassion comes in different forms.

Agree to disagree...

K.
  • SezxyStef
    Finally found one. Under 1000 calories and with reasonable nutrition.
    cwtc4xgni780.png

not sure I totally believe this as the qty is "serving"...can't double check it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    cwtc4xgni780.png

not sure I totally believe this as the qty is "serving"...can't double check it.

Oh these are just the recipes I made on that day. Clicking the the recipes gives the details in grams per serving.
    6q28h68p7i37.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    lynn6241 wrote: »
    I haven't voiced this before because it is very non MFP of me

I believe you can lose weight safely and get all the nutrition required on a VLC (800-900 calories) diet by eating the right (i.e. healthy) foods and cutting out "junk".

I would very much like to see a day in a diary where all nutritional needs are met at that level of calories without supplementation.

I'm almost tempted to play around with mocking up a day's diary to see if it's possible.

But nah.

I have done it a few times when I first started using fast days (800-1000 calories) as a tool. It's hell to put together and sometimes you end up with food combinations that simply don't work, but I've done it. I no longer put myself through that wringer and look at my nutrition in a continuum, but let me see if I can dig out one of these low calorie days. Note that prolonged barely sufficient energy (calories) makes it a worse option by default for various reasons regardless of nutrition.

ETA: too far back, can't remember which time period it was. Oh well. What you basically do is pick one dish that you like which doesn't have many calories and you believe is reasonably nutritious, plug it in, then see what micronutrients are lowest and look for the highest source per calorie using one of the tools out there which offer this kind of search. For protein, if a portion of it comes from chicken liver or clams that helps a lot because both are very nutritious low calorie sources of protein, but I don't like either so it was harder for me to put things together.

For my body size, activity level (weight lifting), etc., my nutritional needs are 150g of protein and 60g of fat, excluding all my micronutrient needs.
    Just the fat and protein I need are 1,140 calories (600 protein, 540 fat). That's already more than the 800-900 proposed calories and means a diet with absolutely no fiber. Include enough carb sources in order to get enough fiber and micronutrients, and I'm way over, even with eating completely bare bones, as lean as possible.
  • SezxyStef
    edited August 2017
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    cwtc4xgni780.png

Oh these are just the recipes I made on that day. Clicking the the recipes gives the details in grams per serving.
    6q28h68p7i37.png

For you yes you can check easily. I could check the one recipe but I expect they are valid.

However I will say this...that amount of food is not adequate for me...nor are the amounts in the nutritional column (that I can see)

So I still don't think that anything below 1200 is appropriate for "most" and most who are doing under 1k aren't watching their macros either...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Note, I do not claim nor condone eating this low for prolonged periods of time unless supervised where the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm merely stating that it is possible to get good essential nutrition on a low calorie day. I will never even consider eating under 1000 for more than one day here and there and my average stays at a calorie level that is generally higher than what people who weight the same often choose to do. Just not enough food and too many limitations and risks. I still have low calorie days sometimes, I just don't plan them meticulously anymore to include 80% or more of all micronutrients plus a minimum of 70 grams of protein (1g per kg of my goal weight). I know I make up for any low nutrients just fine during higher calorie days.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I never listened when people told me the dire statistics until I became one. I used to get mad at the suggestion, in fact. And remember that "20% success rate" includes anyone who kept off 10% of their weight loss. Heck, by that standard I won! But I don't consider gaining back 90% of what I lost success at all. I doubt many people would.

I know this is a futile effort because people generally never think bad things could happen to them, but I just wish I personally had been more humble and less arrogant in the past. It stings to eat those words, it really does. I remember getting real mad at this one woman who said she regained because her child died. I feel so bad about that now- wish I could apologize to her. But I did not understand how it happens. Now I do, from watching all my WL friends and myself.

Also there's nothing special about MFP. People have been calorie counting for decades, it's just that now there's an app. Weight Watchers is basically calorie counting and it has the same dismal long term success rate of anything.

re: the bold section. What are you referring to when you "this is a futile effort"?

Trying to tell people about what happens to most people who lose weight. Nobody wants to hear it. I get that.

Why would they? It's the glass 3/4 empty point of view. Most would rather hear abut the 1/4 glass full.

Totally agree. But I think it makes more rational sense to be realistic. Know that if you are going to be in that small minority it is going to be a challenge forever. Never get complacent. And even if you believe you can do it, know that things are going to change in your life and you might not know now how you will handle it. And mostly I wish people had more compassion for ourselves and others. I keep saying this, but the people who were losing weight when I did, ~10 years ago, we were the "heros" and "success stories." It doesn't insulate you. The "success stories" of today may find themselves in my shoes 10 years from now. Statistics say most will,

And in your opinion, it will just happen to all of us, like it "just happened" to all those other people you keep mentioning.

Not one of them was responsible, those pounds just threw themselves at you poor defenseless people.

You didn't notice your clothes getting tighter and having to buy new sizes year after year after year.

It just bloody happened.

People who succeed, and people who try to succeed nip bad behavior in the bud somewhere along the way by owning that behavior.

Even now, you still sound like you're playing craps instead of undertaking the task of managing your weight when you talk about being back here on MFP.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

I have compassion for her and her struggles, and if this weren't the debate forum, my reply would have been different.

She wanted to be confrontational starting with her first post in this thread.

Where I part company is how she wanted to drag everyone else down into her way of thinking. Her point in coming here didn't need compassion, imo.

None of us owe her anything, but of course would offer compassion if she posted elsewhere, but surely here in debate, her motives in posting what she posted were questionable in the first place.

All true. I gather I fell victim to seeing only a snippet of the dialogue...
  • J72FIT

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

I have compassion for her and her struggles, and if this weren't the debate forum, my reply would have been different.

Where I part company is how she wanted to drag everyone else down into her way of thinking. Her point in coming here didn't need compassion, imo.

None of us owe her anything, but of course would offer compassion if she posted elsewhere, but surely here in debate, her motives in posting what she posted were questionable in the first place.

My unpopular opinion is that you should have to tick off every post in a thread before you post, or you have to admit up-front that you haven't read the thread. Then we can ignore at our convenience. :lol:

I would if it were not for the fact that most are fodder...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

My unpopular opinion is that you should have to tick off every post in a thread before you post, or you have to admit up-front that you haven't read the thread. Then we can ignore at our convenience. :lol:

Sometimes I am convinced half of you are paid by someone to post here, or we all just have way too much time on our hands.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2017

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

Sometimes I am convinced half of you are paid by someone to post here, or we all just have way too much time on our hands.

If only the former, the latter for sure...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

It just bloody happened.

Good luck with that.

No it was honest.

BigForum sends me $$ regularly. :)

In!
This discussion has been closed.