All of my friends are getting bigger............

Options

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

I just don't think it's even that intentional. I was at my lowest weight ever when I met my husband. Living alone, I didn't want to bother cooking extensive meals for myself, so I would eat a bowl of cereal, soup, frozen meal, and then go to yoga all night. After I moved in with my (soon-to-be) husband, I actually wanted to cook nice meals for this person I loved. A lazy bowl of cereal turned into yummy lasagnas with wine, and other delicious foods. Both my husband and I were eating richer, more calorie dense foods than normal and we both gained a few pounds.

"(taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course)" is actually a huge part of it."

But this is really the key of it all - just LIFE. After our wedding I had two babies and two knee injuries. Tired from back-to-back babies and no longer able to perform the exercise I preferred.... well, now I'm here on MFP trying to lose weight.

Did I intentionally "let myself go"? No, but life happens.

Exactly! It's a little disheartening, although not surprising, to see that even on a freaking weight loss forum, there are people whose primary idea of an overweight person is someone who just got lazy. Not everyone has babies (although many people do), or get injured (although anyone can and many do), but everyone ages. Major mental health crises happen. People move. Pets die. Parents die. Life happens. I find it much nicer to assume that people have their own lives going on rather than get grumpy about those worthless couch potatoes.

And wouldn't most mental health experts say medicating with food for these issues isn't the best strategy?

Gaining weight due to a "mental health crisis" does not necessarily mean medicating with food.

Being in crisis and using best strategies do not often go hand in hand. For many, myself included, dealing with mental health issues means going into survival mode. I would think a mental health professional would concern them self with larger issues than your eating habits in a crisis.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't mention other people's weight. They know if their gaining, they don't need me to point it out.

As I have been losing I have had a few people ask how I'm doing it. I find the best response especially if the person who asked is overweight, is to say "counting calories and running, ugh isn't running the WORST!" and then sigh like I hate it all. I always thank them for the compliment too. It's the best way I know to validate their own feelings, while proving that it works.

I've been overweight and overwhelmed with life in the past. It wasn't always a priority and regardless of what anyone else said there wasn't always anything I could do about it. I had other more important things that required my attention, like depression, colicky infants and just trying to make it to the end of the day. I know it isn't a priority for everyone all the time and I think thats okay.

So even though I actually no longer hate running, and calorie counting has become habitual, not everyone wants or needs to know that. I don't need people I love and care about thinking I'm judging them along with everything else they likely have going on.

Weight loss isn't easy. It's a long term commitment. I believe it's achievable, but not everyone does, and who am I to tell them different.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm always impressed by your comments; you have a good noggin! :smiley:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm always impressed by your comments; you have a good noggin! :smiley:

Aw thanks - that's nice to hear at the end of a semi-crummy day!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I don't see how it is acceptable to "let yourself go" because you feel comfortable with someone and are no longer motivated to impress that person with your physical appearance (taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course). The shape that you were in when you committed to being in a relationship should be the baseline going forward.

I just don't think it's even that intentional. I was at my lowest weight ever when I met my husband. Living alone, I didn't want to bother cooking extensive meals for myself, so I would eat a bowl of cereal, soup, frozen meal, and then go to yoga all night. After I moved in with my (soon-to-be) husband, I actually wanted to cook nice meals for this person I loved. A lazy bowl of cereal turned into yummy lasagnas with wine, and other delicious foods. Both my husband and I were eating richer, more calorie dense foods than normal and we both gained a few pounds.

"(taking into account aging, babies, and medical conditions, of course)"

But this is really the key of it all - just LIFE. After our wedding I had two babies and two knee injuries. Tired from back-to-back babies and no longer able to perform the exercise I preferred.... well, now I'm here on MFP trying to lose weight.

Did I intentionally "let myself go"? No, but life happens.

But you are doing something about it, with mfp, or whatever.. life happens to everyone, don't let that get in the way of your health and happiness. (I know that most aren't happy with being overweight)!
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    kas1317 wrote: »
    I am 31, 5'1, CW 115, GW 112 (keeps bouncing back up bc I am not maintaining properly). I have been married a year and most of my friends are married, with or without kids, or in a long term committed relationship. EVERYONE is getting HUGE. Seeing friends from college or somewhere after a year or so, and they have gained 50 pounds. What is going on? Do they not care? Also, I would never FORCE diet advice on them, but if they ask or it come up, I say "MFP" and they say im pyscho etc and have no interest blah blah, takes too long, excuse. WHAT GIVES???

I haven't seen this asked/answered so why do they think you're a psycho for using MFP? Maybe try "counting calories" instead.

People I know aren't getting bigger. I know a couple of people trying to lose baby weight, but otherwise everyone is more or less the same size.

It really is none of your business whether people are getting "HUGE" or not. If they ask you for advice, then I'd offer minimal advice unless they were really interested. Other than that, what they do has nothing to do with you.