Ladies - Receiving Unwanted "Attention"

Options

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK - classed as a firearm? And really, I wouldn't want to.

Wow. I did not know that. I'm a big fan of all things British, but boy am I glad to live in the USA if it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
    I'd call a canister of pepper spray a minimum level of self defense. Why would it be illegal? It's not lethal, like a gun can be...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK - classed as a firearm? And really, I wouldn't want to.

Wow. I did not know that. I'm a big fan of all things British, but boy am I glad to live in the USA if it isn't legal to carry pepper spray in the UK.
    I'd call a canister of pepper spray a minimum level of self defense. Why would it be illegal? It's not lethal, like a gun can be...

Pepper spray, guns or any weapon is banned in Australia too. I think farmers are allowed to have rifles, not 100% sure on that one?? I've never even seen a gun in real life. The only people who are legally allowed to carry a hand gun are cops.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm with you girl. I was obese for quite some time and forgot what it was like to get a lot of attention from the general male population. Since losing 40 pounds, I get some sort of annoying encounter almost every time I go running. I run in my neighborhood so I'm not even in "public" like at a park, but my neighborhood is still being developed so there is a lot of traffic just looking at the new houses or lots.
    Since I run almost every day, I am very familiar with the people and cars in my neighborhood. I was pushing the stroller and I see a car I've never seen before with the windows down blaring music with two men in the car. They pull up behind me and just drive slowly behind me down an entire street!!!! I called my husband to drive over and he parked up ahead of me, got out, started kissing me, and the car pulled in a driveway and turned around quickly!
    It was quite funny but it was also scary...
    I'm just trying to exercise, I don't want any attention from ANYONE!!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    BPRKEY wrote: »
    You have ZERO responsibility to do anything so that you won't be harassed. ZERO. One more time for the people in the back, ZERO. We are not wolves. We are human beings with an ability to control ourselves. Those men are the ones that need to adjust their behavior. We're evolved enough to know the difference between a compliment and harassment. It's happened to me too. It's not you it's them.

Amen.

This is a problem with my gender, not yours

• GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I called my husband to drive over and he parked up ahead of me, got out, started kissing me, and the car pulled in a driveway and turned around quickly!

i get why this is funny in a way that is 'on' the creepers, but i always hate this kind of story (nothing personal here). it's basically 'ha ha, they ran off when they realised i was already some other guy's property'.

like, i've never known why that's a victory. i don't want to be 'property'. i'm not interested in being the non-agent object in some stupid turf war between stupid men, and i *kitten* HATE the fact that men who won't leave you alone when it's 'just' your own personal preference that they should leave you alone . . . will go ahead and leave you alone because some other guy wants them to leave you alone.

i mean, what's the message here? 'we don't give a damn what YOU want, because you don't have a voice. but glob forbid we step on another guy's turf'.

But when someone is harassing you with your child present, you need backup. So that's what I did. I can't flip off or yell an expletive with my toddler there.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably that they have been subjected to all of the examples we're sharing and are responding with defense (some here have even suggested that's what we should do). I think you're good. That's polite and appropriate. Just know that there is a very good chance the guy that just past her called her "hot lips" and when she complained he called her a "*kitten*". But you are not doing anything wrong.
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I have an etiquette question. When I'm out running or on the bike and pass another runner/cyclist coming in the opposite direction, I'll give a little head nod and sometimes maybe a "hey". I do the exact same for men and women and always thought it was just a polite acknowledgement that doesn't really mean anything. Men almost always return the nod, but lately I've come to notice that often women either just keep focused straight ahead and completely ignore it, or (occasionally) give me a hard, "don't *kitten* with me or I'll cut you" staredown.

So, is that harassment? Should I stop doing that? Maybe only acknowledge men and ignore women?

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    But when someone is harassing you with your child present, you need backup. So that's what I did. I can't flip off or yell an expletive with my toddler there.

oh sure. i get that you do what you need to do. i'm just saying that i don't think of it as a 'victory'. it's just 'do what you need to do'.

i commented because so many of the times i hear stories with that kind of ending it does feel like the teller thinks she scored some kind of point and somehow 'fixed' the whole problem with it. my own feeling is that deals with the immediate symptom but it still panders to the whole mental disease of 'women aren't real people who have their own rights'.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    XLombardX wrote: »

Hmm...per capita, firearm homicides are 138 times higher in the US than UK, violent crime is 4 times higher, homicide is 4 times higher...I'd take my chances in the UK without the pepper spray.

Point taken.
    But, I do live in the USA in a big city and I have been assaulted. So, I'm glad I have the right to defend myself with a weapon if need be. I guess it's an American thing, but I can't imagine self-defense tools being illegal.
This discussion has been closed.