Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Looking great @Gallowmere1984
    Wow it took me over 12 weeks to lose half of what you did :p . I am really dragging this cut out. I only have a few lbs left to go (I hope), and although I am only 5lbs up from my bulk start weight, the difference in my body (especially the booty) is absolutely amazing. Yay for bulking!!

That's not that bad of a duration, I just prefer going all in on anything. As Lemon has noted, I have an absolutely insane approach to cutting. I've already been through a cut, another bulk, and another cut cycle while most people who hit around the same time are still cutting the first round. Been around 5 months iirc, of which, I spent three months bulking, one month cutting and one month maintenance chasing.

Do you follow the PSMF, UD 2.0 or another protocol?

BTW, i was given permission to be able to discuss these in this section only, but we aren't recommend it. Only discuss what we do. So progress, lol.

Something else I just remembered: did you ever get a verdict on discussion involving EC? Kinda feel like I'm only being half honest if I leave out the supplemental side of the protocol.

It should be treated the same as the Lyle's programs. So keep the discussion within the bodybuilding section and no recommendations.

Fantastic, thanks.

So, to add to my previous diet protocol posts, I run an EC stack of 25mg eph/200mg caffeine 4x/day. The ephedrine is HCL from Primatene or sulphate from Bronkaid, depending upon which is in stock.

In order to keep the hangry monsters at bay, I space everything out in two hour intervals. So essentially, EC upon waking, ~65g protein from chicken boob or tuna two hours later, rotating in this fashion until my last EC dose four hours before bed (avoids sleep screwiness), then protein two hours before bed.

Also included are a full multivitamin, an extra 600mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 50mg zinc, and 5000/7500mg sodium/potassium from lite salt.

Disclaimer I am not advocating or recommending this at all. There are serious risks involved and you should speak with a MD before running out and trying this protocol. For some people it can be deadly.

That being said, I run an ECA stack myself during a cut. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

I DID clear it with one of my MD's. While they were not familiar with the why, they understood the drugs because this is very similar to old school asthma meds, the kind I took when younger. They agreed to look into it for me (couple years ago) and got back with me after a few weeks. While the Dr was not advocating it, they did ask me to following the ramp up procedure to assess my tolerance, and if I could tolerate it to take it slow. Guess the old body recognized the similarity to other asthma meds I used to take and I didn't have any issues. It does raise my blood pressure a few points, from normally 118/72 to around 124/76. BP drops back down within 8hrs of the last dose.

Mine is 3x/day, 4 hours apart, 6am first, 10am second, last dose at 2pm. Only 2 baby aspirin per dose.

Up to you, but literally everything that I have seen shows that the aspirin does precisely nothing for anyone but the morbidly obese. Well, I guess it does add extra liver work, but I never really saw the benefit in that.

Haven't looked at any studies for a while. I do recall the ones I read as "the jury is undecided". Guess I'll have to look again.
    Year round I take 1 baby aspirin per a different Drs recommendation.
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Looking great @Gallowmere1984
    Wow it took me over 12 weeks to lose half of what you did :p . I am really dragging this cut out. I only have a few lbs left to go (I hope), and although I am only 5lbs up from my bulk start weight, the difference in my body (especially the booty) is absolutely amazing. Yay for bulking!!

That's not that bad of a duration, I just prefer going all in on anything. As Lemon has noted, I have an absolutely insane approach to cutting. I've already been through a cut, another bulk, and another cut cycle while most people who hit around the same time are still cutting the first round. Been around 5 months iirc, of which, I spent three months bulking, one month cutting and one month maintenance chasing.

Do you follow the PSMF, UD 2.0 or another protocol?

BTW, i was given permission to be able to discuss these in this section only, but we aren't recommend it. Only discuss what we do. So progress, lol.

Something else I just remembered: did you ever get a verdict on discussion involving EC? Kinda feel like I'm only being half honest if I leave out the supplemental side of the protocol.

It should be treated the same as the Lyle's programs. So keep the discussion within the bodybuilding section and no recommendations.

Fantastic, thanks.

So, to add to my previous diet protocol posts, I run an EC stack of 25mg eph/200mg caffeine 4x/day. The ephedrine is HCL from Primatene or sulphate from Bronkaid, depending upon which is in stock.

In order to keep the hangry monsters at bay, I space everything out in two hour intervals. So essentially, EC upon waking, ~65g protein from chicken boob or tuna two hours later, rotating in this fashion until my last EC dose four hours before bed (avoids sleep screwiness), then protein two hours before bed.

Also included are a full multivitamin, an extra 600mg calcium, 500mg magnesium, 50mg zinc, and 5000/7500mg sodium/potassium from lite salt.

Disclaimer I am not advocating or recommending this at all. There are serious risks involved and you should speak with a MD before running out and trying this protocol. For some people it can be deadly.

That being said, I run an ECA stack myself during a cut. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.

I DID clear it with one of my MD's. While they were not familiar with the why, they understood the drugs because this is very similar to old school asthma meds, the kind I took when younger. They agreed to look into it for me (couple years ago) and got back with me after a few weeks. While the Dr was not advocating it, they did ask me to following the ramp up procedure to assess my tolerance, and if I could tolerate it to take it slow. Guess the old body recognized the similarity to other asthma meds I used to take and I didn't have any issues. It does raise my blood pressure a few points, from normally 118/72 to around 124/76. BP drops back down within 8hrs of the last dose.

Mine is 3x/day, 4 hours apart, 6am first, 10am second, last dose at 2pm. Only 2 baby aspirin per dose.

Up to you, but literally everything that I have seen shows that the aspirin does precisely nothing for anyone but the morbidly obese. Well, I guess it does add extra liver work, but I never really saw the benefit in that.

Haven't looked at any studies for a while. I do recall the ones I read as "the jury is undecided". Guess I'll have to look again.
    Year round I take 1 baby aspirin per a different Drs recommendation.

As @Gallowmere1984 pointed out, all the most recent research (including Lyles later works) avoid the aspirin as it only has a negative impact on the stack.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

As @Gallowmere1984 pointed out, all the most recent research (including Lyles later works) avoid the aspirin as it only has a negative impact on the stack.

A single baby aspirin shouldn't hurt though correct? I'm talking 1 in the am as my Dr prescribed. I have no issue stopping the extra baby aspirins.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

A single baby aspirin shouldn't hurt though correct? I'm talking 1 in the am as my Dr prescribed. I have no issue stopping the extra baby aspirins.

If a doctor has prescribed it then yes take it. For a healthy person who has no need to take them, there is no reason to add them into the stack.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Big NSV for me yesterday... I went from a 1RM of 155 in bench (yes, I was a weak *kitten* bish) to doing sets of 200 (4x5) in about 8 months worth of solid training (first 5.5 months with BLS, rest with PHUL). Haven't tested my 1RM in a few months, but last time was 195.

Now my only issues are OHP and DL. Stuck at 125 on OHP (could be a volume issue since PHUL wants 3x8); I have deloaded 2x (1 full week off and 1 50%) without success. Might have to modify the program a bit to add heavier loads/lower reps to see if that helps). DL, I have been stuck at 305 for 4 weeks. Trying to hit 305x4x5 and at best I have done 305x2x5, 305x1x4, 305x1x2.

Overall, I am doing well with a recomp. I stopped calorie counting and I am seeing greater muscle definition, especially my arms, back, legs, and hip flexors. I am please with the results (actually lost 2lbs) and will continue with PHUL until the end of the year. At that point, my buddy will be back from Afghanistan and we are going to start PHAT.

Awesome man! Congrats! I need to lose this last bit of fat so I can finally start gaining some strength again.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Big NSV for me yesterday... I went from a 1RM of 155 in bench (yes, I was a weak *kitten* bish) to doing sets of 200 (4x5) in about 8 months worth of solid training (first 5.5 months with BLS, rest with PHUL). Haven't tested my 1RM in a few months, but last time was 195.

Now my only issues are OHP and DL. Stuck at 125 on OHP (could be a volume issue since PHUL wants 3x8); I have deloaded 2x (1 full week off and 1 50%) without success. Might have to modify the program a bit to add heavier loads/lower reps to see if that helps). DL, I have been stuck at 305 for 4 weeks. Trying to hit 305x4x5 and at best I have done 305x2x5, 305x1x4, 305x1x2.

Overall, I am doing well with a recomp. I stopped calorie counting and I am seeing greater muscle definition, especially my arms, back, legs, and hip flexors. I am please with the results (actually lost 2lbs) and will continue with PHUL until the end of the year. At that point, my buddy will be back from Afghanistan and we are going to start PHAT.

Awesome man! Congrats! I need to lose this last bit of fat so I can finally start gaining some strength again.

Thanks. Why would you wait? You can definitely gain strength while you are cutting weight.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options

Thanks. Why would you wait? You can definitely gain strength while you are cutting weight.

Not waiting just at a stand still. Pretty much all Upper Body has stagnated and lower body is trickling up every so slowly.
  • piperdown44
    Options

That's a real solid increase on bench! <thumbs up>

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you dropped OHP down to 4-5 reps 4-5 sets you might start seeing a strength increase. I personally think that the delts and tri's, being smaller muscle groups, get fatigued more easily.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you dropped OHP down to 4-5 reps 4-5 sets you might start seeing a strength increase. I personally think that the delts and tri's, being smaller muscle groups, get fatigued more easily.

I'd agree with this. I always get my best results on OHP from hammering it in the 1-5 rep range. The only time it's ever stalled hard on me anymore, is during my absurd cuts. After a few weeks back at maintenance cals, it's right back on it's merry way up. Within spitting distance of 1x bw now (155 max, 165 bw).
  • psuLemon
    Options

Not waiting just at a stand still. Pretty much all Upper Body has stagnated and lower body is trickling up every so slowly.

Oh that makes a bit more since. Have you tried refeeds and deloads to see if that helps?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I'd agree with this. I always get my best results on OHP from hammering it in the 1-5 rep range. The only time it's ever stalled hard on me anymore, is during my absurd cuts. After a few weeks back at maintenance cals, it's right back on it's merry way up. Within spitting distance of 1x bw now (155 max, 165 bw).

Thanks. I tend to agree with what you both are saying. I will try that soon. I have another deload in a week, so maybe i will chamge after that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Heyo folks.

Jumping back in.
    I finished my certification training in July- 2 weeks of very intense dancing!

I also took over as resident engineer for a project in April- we were mobilizing as I left- and just got started this past 10 days- sooooooooooooooo it's made my lifting schedule a bit hectic. I essentially- quit my sheiko program 2.5 weeks from completion.

1.) 2 hrs per lift wasn't realistic.
    2.) I had no recovery time- at best my training was Tuesday, Sat or Sun (consistently)
    3.) I am struggling with form on squats and a deload is dearly required.

So. after slogging through 2 less than satisfactory week of *kitten* training I gave up and just am switching to a program that meets my schedule more adequately and hopefully helps me fix my squat as well. This also always more time for cardio as well- so hopefully- I can continue to drop some weight.
    My new weight belt arrived- it comfortably fits now- and it's at the largest setting- so new goal- get smaller for sure so I have some wiggle room on my belt.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Finished a 20 month bulk, gaining 20 lbs. Sounds long, but was interrupted by 3 or 4 injuries along the way, including a 5 month layoff [getting old sucks]. Tried my best to eat at maintenance during the 5 month low activity phase, but still lost 4 or 5 pounds of hard work.

Now in a maintenance phase for 2 weeks, before cutting for 4-6 weeks. I'm not planning on an aggressive cut, goal of 0.5 lbs. per week. Basically the plan is to cut, then go at maintenance for a few weeks, then back to the cut. But, this plan is definitely going to be interrupted by the holidays. Cutting at Thanksgiving is sacrilege.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Heyo folks.

Jumping back in.
    I finished my certification training in July- 2 weeks of very intense dancing!

I also took over as resident engineer for a project in April- we were mobilizing as I left- and just got started this past 10 days- sooooooooooooooo it's made my lifting schedule a bit hectic. I essentially- quit my sheiko program 2.5 weeks from completion.

1.) 2 hrs per lift wasn't realistic.
    2.) I had no recovery time- at best my training was Tuesday, Sat or Sun (consistently)
    3.) I am struggling with form on squats and a deload is dearly required.

So. after slogging through 2 less than satisfactory week of *kitten* training I gave up and just am switching to a program that meets my schedule more adequately and hopefully helps me fix my squat as well. This also always more time for cardio as well- so hopefully- I can continue to drop some weight.
    My new weight belt arrived- it comfortably fits now- and it's at the largest setting- so new goal- get smaller for sure so I have some wiggle room on my belt.

What belt did you get?

Santa just brought me an early Christmas present, a SBD lever belt. It's freaking awesome.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Reverse dieting phase is almost over, as I appear to have slowed my loss to around 0.25/week. Ready to ride this maintenance phase for a bit, then going to hit a nearly year long bulk into the 181s after the meet in December.

Gratuitous leg shot, just because they have finally graduated from "suck" to "almost acceptable".
    71uugnph65er.jpg
  • piperdown44
    Options
    ^^^Damn, that's some vascularity!
    I've still got about 10lbs to go down and I'm not sure I'd be that cut.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Oh trust me, I've still got fat to spare. For some reason though, I've just always been fairly veiny, except when I was really obese.

That said, I'm definitely done cutting for now, and looking forward to my long *kitten* slow bulk after December. The 165 class is just not befitting a 5'10" male, and given my increasing interest in strongman, where the Lightweight division doesn't even cap out until 200, I've got a ways to go. Haha.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Oh trust me, I've still got fat to spare. For some reason though, I've just always been fairly veiny, except when I was really obese.

That said, I'm definitely done cutting for now, and looking forward to my long *kitten* slow bulk after December. The 165 class is just not befitting a 5'10" male, and given my increasing interest in strongman, where the Lightweight division doesn't even cap out until 200, I've got a ways to go. Haha.

Oh, I hear you. 5'11" here, 184 with pudge going on. Graduated HS (damn near 30yrs ago!) at 163, great upper body, stick legs. I think 174 would put me close to "right".

Body is weird. Most of me looks lean but I carry my fat exactly around the bellybutton area and the inner thighs. Lower abs saw some veins the other morning. Move up 3 inches...fat. I'm slowly moving down and will finish, hell or high water, at the end of Sept, then maintenance for a couple weeks in Oct and start a nice slow (I mean SLOW) calorie increase.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Oh, I hear you. 5'11" here, 184 with pudge going on. Graduated HS (damn near 30yrs ago!) at 163, great upper body, stick legs. I think 174 would put me close to "right".

Body is weird. Most of me looks lean but I carry my fat exactly around the bellybutton area and the inner thighs. Lower abs saw some veins the other morning. Move up 3 inches...fat. I'm slowly moving down and will finish, hell or high water, at the end of Sept, then maintenance for a couple weeks in Oct and start a nice slow (I mean SLOW) calorie increase.

163? Damn man, I was polar opposite. I was obese from ages 10 to 27.

I know them feels though. Most of my fat is a lower back issue though. It's part of my fatty past that will forever haunt me, so I've embraced it as a reminder of why to never let my diet get out of hand again.

rhyw2xuqgqpu.jpg
  • piperdown44
    Options
    ^^^ yep, should have thrown in lower back fat too cause I've got it.
    Not so secret goal is to fit into size 32 pants, currently 33s. The lower I get and the more I assess I really think if I got down around 10% BF I'd be able to fit into 31s. When I graduated HS I wore a 29 in Wranglers. Just another goal to fit along with lifting and body composition.