Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

You think people followed the guidelines? Think again. There is more "I know I shouldn't eat this but..." than meets the eye. You're talking as if people have been eating nothing but rice cakes since the recommendations. From the chart you will notice countries with a whole spectrum of obesity rates at any fat intake level, and in this screenshot in particular all the countries that eat less fat have a lower obesity rate than the US. You can't pin obesity on carbs or the perceived (not real) lack of fat.

9mfj4zx72l7c.png

Not sure where you live but I have a very difficult time finding full fat yogurt, ice-cream, even sour cream...
    The whole dairy isle is low fat, reduced fat, or no fat...
    No fat yogurt?? I call that pudding!

The same is true of almost every isle in almost every grocery store here. The fat has been removed and replaced with sugars or chemicals.

It's insidious. The general public thinks they're making healthy choices but they are in fact doing the exact opposite.

Margerine is another great example... butter is full of saturated fat, and is quite healthy but people were convinced that margerine, full of trans dats and devoid of any nutrional value was the healthier choice... That's just a couple examples but there are thousands...

Every grocery store I've been in has varying degrees of fat in dairy from full to none...also, reduced fat dairy products do not add sugar and other chemicals...

I suggest you read the label

What, exactly, do you think is being added to skim milk? Please be specific.

My sincere apologies. I was not implying that removing the milk from the milk, turning into cloudy water adds anything ;-)

Yogurt, ice-cream, sour cream, and cheeses... They add dextrose (sugar), maltodextrose (sugar), starches of various kinds (essentially sugar), dozens of thickening agents that I can't spell, often several variations of salt...

I see that my position gets a few people's hackles up so I will concede that IF you're seeing results from what I consider to be misguided means then GREAT!
    Congratulations.

To clarify, I brought up climate change because I think that denying that high carb low fat diets are harmful to the health of the vast majority of the world population is very similar to denying that human activities are accelerating climate change... It was intended as a metaphor, not an implication that the two were somehow related. Some of you got it, well done!

I'm out.

NO, They don't. As demonstrated above.

Ugh... Dragged back in... Quoted from a couple sources

... nonfat yogurt is made from non fat milk (with a high percentage of milk sugar) by adding modified food starch and fructose (fruit sugar) among other things. Then they add some natural and artificial flavors, some preservatives and coloring and three (!) different artificial sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame K and sucralose).

Out again

It's polite to cite your sources: https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-americans-are-obese-nonfat-yogurt

Sorry, you're quite correct (both of the above posters who pointed out my omission)
    There are numerous others as well... and the actual labels on the packaging.

People are pointing out that the labels on actual products are proving your point wrong. There are some lower fat dairy products with things added to them along with many that don't. There are also higher fat dairy products that have tons of extra ingredients added. Your distinction is meaningless.

It's a pop nutritional chestnut that lower fat dairy products are full of sugar and additives, but that doesn't mean it is true. The actual product label is a better guide that online misinformation or diet books.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

You think people followed the guidelines? Think again. There is more "I know I shouldn't eat this but..." than meets the eye. You're talking as if people have been eating nothing but rice cakes since the recommendations. From the chart you will notice countries with a whole spectrum of obesity rates at any fat intake level, and in this screenshot in particular all the countries that eat less fat have a lower obesity rate than the US. You can't pin obesity on carbs or the perceived (not real) lack of fat.

9mfj4zx72l7c.png

Not sure where you live but I have a very difficult time finding full fat yogurt, ice-cream, even sour cream...
    The whole dairy isle is low fat, reduced fat, or no fat...
    No fat yogurt?? I call that pudding!

The same is true of almost every isle in almost every grocery store here. The fat has been removed and replaced with sugars or chemicals.

It's insidious. The general public thinks they're making healthy choices but they are in fact doing the exact opposite.

Margerine is another great example... butter is full of saturated fat, and is quite healthy but people were convinced that margerine, full of trans dats and devoid of any nutrional value was the healthier choice... That's just a couple examples but there are thousands...

Every grocery store I've been in has varying degrees of fat in dairy from full to none...also, reduced fat dairy products do not add sugar and other chemicals...

I suggest you read the label

I have read the label on my 2% yogurt. Nothing added.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

me too...
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

me too...

Can either of you please recommend a full fat FroYo or ice cream then??
    I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »

me too...

I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.

You seriously can't find a full fat ice cream? Talenti, Ben and Jerry's, Haggen Daaz, etc., aren't known for being low fat . . .?

I believe that you have difficulty finding a full fat FroYo, since FroYo seems to have been basically invented in response to people being afraid of fat.

Was literally about to offer Ben & Jerry's. Can't get any more full fat than that!
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »

me too...

You seriously can't find a full fat ice cream? Talenti, Ben and Jerry's, Haggen Daaz, etc., aren't known for being low fat . . .?

I believe that you have difficulty finding a full fat FroYo, since FroYo seems to have been basically invented in response to people being afraid of fat.

Ah... Good point on the ice cream... Those are all a little sugary for my personal tastes though. I was searching for something slightly less "decadent" lol but still fairly high fat...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Classic over-simplification of the science and over-complication of the process...
This discussion has been closed.