Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

1210211213215216358

Replies

  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

    LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

    Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

    Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

    My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

    Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

    A personal preference is one thing, but you wrote " I don't think a vegetarian lifestyle is healthy or natural for humans." If you're going to make statements like that, people are going to ask what the foundation is.

    As far as "natural," it may or may not be. But we know that we reject many things that are "natural" and can be perfectly healthy and happy doing things that are "unnatural." It's an irrelevant category for health.

    So when you say it isn't "healthy," what facts are you basing that on? I know you're not basing it on studies of vegetarians and vegans because those studies exist and overall they don't show that they have a higher rate of illness or early death than non-vegans and vegetarians.

    Oh hey as for natural, long before we evolved to eat meat, we were all eating all plants, all the time.

    If people want to go way, way back, why not go all way?

    If you want to talk "natural" and go back in time, you're probably looking at a diet made up mostly of fruit and foraged greens, along with grubs and ants when we can get them. Likely to be much higher carbohydrate than what our newest carbophobe has in mind as ideal.

    ok, i'm not wading into this, because i think it's silly. But let's just point out that hunting and the consumption of meat predates the human species. Our ape ancestors were carnivores. Homo sapiens have never been herbivores, or pure gatherers. We evolved the ability to walk on 2 feet specifically because it made us more successful hunters.

    edit: and no, that shouldn't have any bearing at all on what we decide to eat in the 21st century. Sorry Paleoids

    Oh, I don't doubt that our ancestors ate meat when they could get it and that they could get it with some regularity. It's just that my understanding is that a big portion of the diet would be made up of fruit and greens, supplemented with insects.

    I don't think any of our ape ancestors were carnivores (in the sense that they *required* meat to be properly nourished), they were omnivores. Is there an ancestor I'm not thinking of?

    And I agree with you -- while I find the conversation incredibly interesting for other reasons, I don't think any of this has a bearing on what we decide to eat today. I find the idea that there is a singular "natural" diet that we should strive to identify and replicate very silly.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited August 2017
    jdlobb wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

    LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

    Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

    Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

    My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

    Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

    A personal preference is one thing, but you wrote " I don't think a vegetarian lifestyle is healthy or natural for humans." If you're going to make statements like that, people are going to ask what the foundation is.

    As far as "natural," it may or may not be. But we know that we reject many things that are "natural" and can be perfectly healthy and happy doing things that are "unnatural." It's an irrelevant category for health.

    So when you say it isn't "healthy," what facts are you basing that on? I know you're not basing it on studies of vegetarians and vegans because those studies exist and overall they don't show that they have a higher rate of illness or early death than non-vegans and vegetarians.

    Oh hey as for natural, long before we evolved to eat meat, we were all eating all plants, all the time.

    If people want to go way, way back, why not go all way?

    If you want to talk "natural" and go back in time, you're probably looking at a diet made up mostly of fruit and foraged greens, along with grubs and ants when we can get them. Likely to be much higher carbohydrate than what our newest carbophobe has in mind as ideal.

    ok, i'm not wading into this, because i think it's silly. But let's just point out that hunting and the consumption of meat predates the human species. Our ape ancestors were carnivores. Homo sapiens have never been herbivores, or pure gatherers. We evolved the ability to walk on 2 feet specifically because it made us more successful hunters.

    edit: and no, that shouldn't have any bearing at all on what we decide to eat in the 21st century. Sorry Paleoids

    Oh, I don't doubt that our ancestors ate meat when they could get it and that they could get it with some regularity. It's just that my understanding is that a big portion of the diet would be made up of fruit and greens, supplemented with insects.

    I don't think any of our ape ancestors were carnivores (in the sense that they *required* meat to be properly nourished), they were omnivores. Is there an ancestor I'm not thinking of?

    And I agree with you -- while I find the conversation incredibly interesting for other reasons, I don't think any of this has a bearing on what we decide to eat today. I find the idea that there is a singular "natural" diet that we should strive to identify and replicate very silly.

    correct, omnivores. I apologize for making the all too common swap and incorrectly using carnivore. I think great apes still eat a lot of fruit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

    me too...

    Can either of you please recommend a full fat FroYo or ice cream then??
    I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.

    You seriously can't find a full fat ice cream? Talenti, Ben and Jerry's, Haggen Daaz, etc., aren't known for being low fat . . .?

    I believe that you have difficulty finding a full fat FroYo, since FroYo seems to have been basically invented in response to people being afraid of fat.

    Ah... Good point on the ice cream... Those are all a little sugary for my personal tastes though. I was searching for something slightly less "decadent" lol but still fairly high fat...

    People with highly specific dietary preferences are often best served by finding recipes that reflect their preferences instead of waiting for their corner of the market to be targeted. I'd be astonished if Pinterest, for example, didn't have a selection of recipes created and used by people who share your nutritional goals.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,526 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

    LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

    Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

    Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

    My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

    Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.
    @jamesakrobinson Koalas and rabbits don't have hooves either and they're herbivores. ;)

    LMAO OK
    I was just trying to illustrate a point with a bit of levity.

    Too many people here seem to think in absolutes. My point has never been that my carnivorous preference is necessarily the "best" way to eat for everyone, nor that it is the only way to get lean. Different people have different metabolisms, and that is almost certainly also influenced by genetics too... where your ancestors evolved (ergo what available foods allowed them the opportunity to thrive and reproduce) and what kind and how much activity you do are huge factors too.

    Marathon runners and strength athletes have different needs... and so people don't take those as absolute too... also everything in between or even being sedentary. (in which case I think less calories are a good idea)

    My most important point is less about the evils of carbs and much more about the importance of fat!

    Demonizing fat is the giant disservice that the US FDA did in the 1970s. That was the biggest instigating factor in starting the obesity and diabetes epidemic that has since begun to spread around the world.

    In response to the bold, you are one of the people that you are complaining about. You literally just said:

    "Mark my words.
    Carbs should be the smallest of your macros. (fats and protein are what you evolved over millions of years to run on)"

    That is your opinion that you defend by cherry picking bits and pieces of information yet you you state it as an absolute.

    I don't see those statements as necessarily contradictory. They can (are?) both be true.

    Or perhaps... I may have softened my stance in light of a couple of well thought out replies which used facts and examples rather than dogma and "bro science" (like CICO) to make a point?

    What other "bro science" would you be referring to then if you were being sarcastic when you mentioned CICO? I ask because I didn't see anything but actual logic being used to refute what you were saying. Even if you were being sarcastic, this is your second post in a short time to mention CICO in a negative light. I find that odd especially since you were listing off facts such as climate change earlier. Whether you believe it or not, CICO is fact in relation to weight loss.

    My first comment about CICO was to
    emphasize that it isn't an absolute. (I said partially bunk) Those who preach CICO imply that a thousand calories of cookies and a thousand calories of fish have the same nutritional value... That's just not correct.

    It's part of the equation but it is definitely not nearly as important as the advocates claim.

    I'm sure this has been addressed (I haven't caught up to all the new pages this morning), but in regards to the bolded - no, that is not what those who "preach" CICO claim or imply. That is the strawman that is constantly set up by the anti-CICO crowd.

    Are the calories the same in regards to energy, and to weight loss/maintenance/gain? YES.

    Are they the same nutritionally - well, we can't compare calories nutritionally aside from energy, but the foods the calories come from are very different in regards to nutritional profile. Just about every CICO "preacher" knows this. Usually they say "from a weight perspective, there is no difference, but for overall health and satiety, it is important to get a good balance of nutrition." Because there are so many "OMG I ate a cookie [or a pint of gelato, even] and I'm so scared I'm going to gain back all the weight from my weeks and weeks of hard work now" threads.
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,151 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

    me too...

    Can either of you please recommend a full fat FroYo or ice cream then??
    I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.

    You seriously can't find a full fat ice cream? Talenti, Ben and Jerry's, Haggen Daaz, etc., aren't known for being low fat . . .?

    I believe that you have difficulty finding a full fat FroYo, since FroYo seems to have been basically invented in response to people being afraid of fat.

    Ah... Good point on the ice cream... Those are all a little sugary for my personal tastes though. I was searching for something slightly less "decadent" lol but still fairly high fat...

    Ice cream is sugary because it needs to be sugary to be smooth. I make ice cream at home almost exclusively and trust me, if you're going for something less sugary you'll need to add a lot of binders and ingredients which you seem to not like. Ice cream as we know it has always been sugary. Here's a recipe from the 1800s.

    1 quart whipped cream sweetened with 3/4 cup icing sugar. Add 1 1/4 cups raspberry jelly slightly melted. Fold in the beaten whites of 5 eggs. Freeze.

    You could try making something less sugary at home, but prepare for a more icy consistency. I'm not sure why you're mentioning ice cream as a product you're looking for whole fat since whole fat ice cream is the norm not the exception. There is a reason low calorie ice creams cost an arm and a leg. As for low sugar ice cream, that's a new invention and as far removed from "the good old days when people were eating fat by the buckets and staying thing" as it can get.

    I do make ice cream from time to time and I do find you can make it fairly smooth without being too sweet if you use whipping cream (35%) and a little stevia. A little whey protein isolate for flavour and maybe some dark chocolate bits or some berries for texture...

    Word of warning it's really filling that way!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,270 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

    me too...

    Can either of you please recommend a full fat FroYo or ice cream then??
    I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.

    I don't eat frozen yogurt but ice cream sure..Ben and Jerry's...or Hagendaaz or try gelato that's yummy...hell Sobey's has their own Ice cream as does Loblaws...aka superstore...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,270 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

    me too...

    Can either of you please recommend a full fat FroYo or ice cream then??
    I discovered Libertee Mediterranee yogurt which is 10%, or 9% for the flavored ones but not one single full fat frozen yogurt or ice cream. I have an ice cream maker so I make my own from time to time but I would love to just buy one.

    You seriously can't find a full fat ice cream? Talenti, Ben and Jerry's, Haggen Daaz, etc., aren't known for being low fat . . .?

    I believe that you have difficulty finding a full fat FroYo, since FroYo seems to have been basically invented in response to people being afraid of fat.

    Ah... Good point on the ice cream... Those are all a little sugary for my personal tastes though. I was searching for something slightly less "decadent" lol but still fairly high fat...

    try gelato perhaps...rich and filling.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,738 Member
    Still laughing at the thought of not finding full fat foods in a Canadian grocery store.....

    I live in cape Breton ns and we lack variety of many things But we definitely have tons of full fat options
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,638 Member
    pumpkin cookie butter? I need a puking face

    :o <<<<<<<
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    We have Tillamook smoked sausages here in Ohio. Not sure I've seen anything else, or if it's even the same company.
This discussion has been closed.