Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Andy10725 wrote: »
    I don't believe in diet version of drinks. It's just as bad if not more harmful. Putting that on food diary to attempt to keep cal count low is just fooling yourself. Same goes for sugar substitutes. Just man up and consume the real thing, it's not the end of the world.

How is it more harmful? Why can't I spend those calories on something else? Or do you not believe that they're actually 0 calorie and that the manufacturers are lying and getting away with it?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in diet version of drinks. It's just as bad if not more harmful. Putting that on food diary to attempt to keep cal count low is just fooling yourself. Same goes for sugar substitutes. Just man up and consume the real thing, it's not the end of the world.

How is it more harmful? Why can't I spend those calories on something else? Or do you not believe that they're actually 0 calorie and that the manufacturers are lying and getting away with it?
    Exactly the reason for my respond above. I believe the stuff you eat matters to the organ. Sure it's 0 cal, but if u have too much of it, what would happen to ur organs? We all enjoy a little junk here n there from time to time. But when u r consuming something bad and not being aware or alert of it, that'd be troublesome.

You keep dancing around the question. WHAT is bad about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you obviously haven't hit menopause yet.

I found weight loss to be much easier after I hit menopause.

Oh boy I sure didn't. Fat loss was the same but weight loss was a whole new ballgame for me.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Exactly the reason for my respond above. I believe the stuff you eat matters to the organ. Sure it's 0 cal, but if u have too much of it, what would happen to ur organs? We all enjoy a little junk here n there from time to time. But when u r consuming something bad and not being aware or alert of it, that'd be troublesome.

Too much of anything is bad for you. How is drinking non diet soda(which you suggested people should "man up" and drink) any better for you? You can't make the claim that diet soda is worse with no data to back it up and expect anyone here to not say anything. This is the same unsubstantiated and uneducated claim that gets made all of the time around here and I have yet to see a single person successfully defend that position.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Regular soda right after a workout can be a good use of a calories and a nice treat.

Why? There are a ton of better post workout options. All this would do is add glucose. Not for me. (Where is that head smack icon....)
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

You keep dancing around the question. WHAT is bad about it.
    Didn't dance around anything. My biggest concern with it is over-consuming it without knowing you are having too much of it compared with how you would react to regular counterpart.
    But to name other, diabetes, heart disease.

There is no sugar in, wait for it, sugar free drinks so how on earth can it impact/cause/exacerbate or whatever, diabetes?

Same goes for heart disease, where on earth have you seen a study that shows this link?

There is no evidence (not fear mongering blogs or websites) to indicate there is anything wrong with the consumption of diet drinks and any potential issues (so far only observed in mice as far as I'm aware) would call for drinking amounts that would cause far worse problems long before the side effects of the diet drink kicked in.

Oy vey.
    Here: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11606-011-1968-2
This discussion has been closed.