WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Rye - I agree with Drkatie. :D I used to hate all exercise (apart from swimming and even then hated getting out and all the bother) and could never in a million years imagine myself lifting dumbbells. Now my day feels really weird without my 600 cals burn and I love my shape and strength.
    Just carry on and on and on. One day you will look in the mirror and go WOW! You will relish being able to do things other much younger people can't. Life will feel strange without it. :noway:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather - I love this. Very, very true. <3

Lanette
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    I’ve been on a roll for the last few days, which is great. I made a couple of changes to my approach: First, I’m trying to log on weekends instead of taking the weekend off. And second, I’m not going out of my way to eat back my exercise calories. If it happens, that’s great, but if I don’t feel hungry I’m happy to leave those calories on the table. I’ll have a little test tomorrow, though – we have a weekly brunch with friends in Austin, but we haven’t been able to go for several weeks. So tomorrow I’ll start the day with a big breakfast, but then I’ll have all day to make up for it. I’m going to ask Philip to stop on the way home so I can look at bikes and start figuring out what I want and how much I’ll need to save for it.

When I gained weight between 2011 and my highest weight at the end of 2014, I gained really gradually and the reason was that I ate well during the week, and might lose 0.3 kg. Then I'd let things go on the weekend, and by the end of the weekend, I had gained maybe 0.4 kg. So I'd eat well during the week ... and lose a bit ... then let things go on the weekend, and gain a bit more ... until one day I realised I had put on a lot of weight. Every day matters.

And as for exercise calories, when I'm actively losing weight, I go with something like this ...

If I do a little bit of exercise, like maybe just an hour's walk, I eat about 50% of my exercise calories back.

If I do a moderate amount of exercise, like a spinning class followed by time on the rowing machine plus an hour's walk ... or maybe 3 or 4 hours cycling outside ... or something, I'll eat about 75% of my exercise calories back.

If I do a lot of exercise, like 8+ hours on the bicycle ... I eat about 95% of my exercise calories back. I need the fuel!!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Relaxing day so far. :)

Drinking coffee in my warm fleece pyjamas.
    Watching boats go by on the bay.
    Listening to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas ... because it has been wintery out there.
    Touching up routes for upcoming cycling events.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    This example is what kind of man I have in my life: Kirby Schlotterback always raises more $$$ than I do for the MS ride. This year I started a lot earlier and I was able to finally beat him or so I thought. I had 1160.00 and he got 1130.00. Well yesterday he told me "I got another $50 from Karl May. So he beat me by $20! That's when I put another post on FB. H e got up at 2am this morning to go downstairs. I asked him what was wrong, he said nothing, he just couldn't sleep so he was on the computer. When I checked online I found I got a donation of $21.00, guess who did that. When I asked him, he said it was the kids, they took it out of their savings.

I can't believe how blessed I am to have him in my life. He does everything possible to make me happy. Things like this are what bring me to tears

Awesome, Pip. You all are going to have a great ride!

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Oh Pip that's the sweetest story. What a guy you have there. You two are great. Be careful on your ride.

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, a man having fun in the kitchen with his woman??? Not a thing you will see in my kitchen. He does know how to cook some things. In his preheat attack days he loved to cook what me and e girls called his chuck burger. Chuck for Charlie and burger for, well burger. He would take about 3/4 pound ground beef, not a lean meat at all, run it up, put it on one piece of bread, slather it with mayonnaise, ketchup and pickles and sit and eat it. He can also make hamburger helper. Real experienced cook. But the only time he is in the kitchen and I am in there cooking is if he is hungry and wondering if it is ready.when the grand kids are here Ellie is the one who gets up at 6 AM because that is her cycle at home or wherever she is. So he gets up with her and the make some kind of scrambled egg concoctin. No telling what is in it. But they are having fun. Elise loves to cook at home and between her and her sister, they can cook up a good meal. Glad you can have fun. Pickled eggs seems like something you see in a jar in the deli section of a store.

Found my new shoes. They didn't have my size in e style I have worn for years. So the young man put his I king cap on and found another that was very close to it and remembered to look in the men's section for the equivalent size. He asked me if I needed any more shoes and I told him that the only other shoe I would belonging for was a new pair of ankle boots for winter. The ones I have slip up and down when I walk, especially when I walk up the stair from the choir rehearsal room to the choir loft. I told him I likes them and didn't want to give the style up. I like the heel on them, they aren't flat but it looks like a small heel. I feel stylish in them. So he showed me these ankle grips. He also told me that the only other suggestion he had was to nail my feet to the shoe! He was a real funny guy. Young guys like to do that with older ladies. I told him I was way past middle aged and of course he didn't believe that. At least I think 67 is way past. I think that middle age is more like 50ish. So of course I told the cashier how much he helped me and she immediately called the manager to let him know that this guy got several compliments, the couple ahead of me was spinning the wheel to see how much they would get off, they got $5 off. So I asked if I qualified to. He said I had to buy 3 pairs. So I asked him if I had to pay more money and buy 2 more pair just for the possibility of getting a '$5 bargain! But I guess that is why it is called Shoe Carnival. We are either the world or USA. Headquarters for Shoe Carnival.

Who was it that an tell me how to reset my days here. Sinc I was briefly my other personality, I am back to one day. I know I was about 1000 or so.

Joyce, Indiana.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    swimming-smiley-emoticon.gif yay pool ill be back open on monday!
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @jmkmomm ...

Shoe Carnival is a US shop ... one I've never heard of before. But I like shoes, so I had a look.

I'd go for something like these ... they're nice! :)
    http://www.shoecarnival.com/womens-anne-klein-sport-traverse/black-black-fab/94853.scp?selectedColor=183036

These two would be good for every-day wear.
    http://www.shoecarnival.com/womens-easy-street-chessa/black/92727.scp

http://www.shoecarnival.com/womens-axxiom-imagine/black/90158.scp

Even more than shoes, I like boots and got myself a new pair of boots with a bit of a heel just recently.

As for a man in the kitchen ...

Both my ex-husband and my current husband did/do the cooking.

I've never really learned how to cook. I can assemble food. I've discovered I can work the slow cooker. And I love baking and do quite well at that. But cooking a meal = nope.

M in Oz

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Listening to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Lost Christmas ... because it has been wintery out there.

Sounds like a fantastic day. I love the Trans Siberian Orchestra.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Still coughing! :/

I'm feeling like I want to get out of the house. Haven't been outside for days.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx who is beginning to think about making Edie's birthday cake. <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, happy Saturday morning :)

Lots of things to do today, yard work, school work and meal prep, but I plan on getting in my exercise first! o:)

I'm thinking of you all as you go through your ups and downs, stresses and victories. One step at a time!

NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    I'm up showered and dressed.Tom is glued to the weather channel and he is just freaking out.i told him not much we can do.
  • Machka9
    Options

After this, we got dressed and headed out for a bicycle ride. It was cool and a bit breezy, but the ride was all right.

Distance: 35.6 km
    Elevation: 238 m
    Moving Time: 1:47:53
    Elapsed Time: 1:49:53
    Speed: Avg: 19.8 km/h | Max: 44.6 km/h
    Heart Rate: Avg: 136 bpm | Max: 159 bpm
    Temperature: High: 13.1C | Low: 11.2C
    Wind: About 15 km/h gusting to 30 km/h

We went counter-clockwise around the kite and then did an out-and-back on the tail.

36930798236_be5b74cfed_c.jpg

I didn't take any photos this time, but we cycled past this place on these bicycles. :)

25303421683_6a35bc247c_c.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Sounds like a fantastic day. I love the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

We got the opportunity to see them in person in Phoenix in 2012. :)

I must get another CD or two.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Argh! I work my little job today. I work so rarely that I stress over not remembering what to do as well as changes made that I don't know. I am also checking on Irma which is not going to be big here. And there comes the sun peeking in the window.