September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ That climb looks nasty. I'd love to try it sometime.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

There really is something wrong with us. :lol:

@_nikkiwolf_ 27% grade! :open_mouth: Downhill would be more of a controlled fall I think!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    September Running
    09/01: Off, rest day
    09/02: 4.02 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    09/03: 20.05 mile long run
    09/04: 60 min biking + strength training
    09/05: 5.04 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/06: 8.03 miles- 7 mile progression, 1 mile cool down
    09/07: 5.40 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/08: 3.56 mile easy run
    09/09: 75 min biking
    09/10: 13.17 mile long run- 3@MP/1E/2@HMP/1E/2@HMP/1E/3@MP
    Total: 59.27 miles

Notes:
    Had a really great long run yesterday! It was a cutback week and I was really looking forward to *only* having 13 miles to run haha. Of course when I mentioned that to my lab partner, he looked at me like I had three heads. Guess he needs to spend more time around runners! Since it was a shorter long run and I was short on time too (had to leave the house at 10:30 am to visit my boyfriend's family for the day, which meant getting in my miles, eating, and showering before then), I decided to make it a bit of a workout with some miles at marathon pace and half marathon pace: first 3 miles at MP (8:51, 8:49, 8:51), 1 easy, 2 at HMP (7:58, 7:57), 1 easy, another 2 at HMP (7:55, 7:55), 1 easy, and the final 3 at MP (8:47, 8:47, 8:49). I'm targeting a 3:55 marathon (hoping for sub-4, so I figure 3:55 gives me a little margin for running poor tangents, walking through water stations as needed, and a potty break if necessary), so the "marathon pace" sections of this run were a little too fast. I have a hard time staying steady at marathon pace, I have a tendency to speed up to ~8:40 if I'm not paying attention. Anyways, my garmin informed me that this was my fastest half marathon time post-stress fracture (1:54:31). Given how easy/controlled this run felt, I'm thinking that going sub 1:45 in my upcoming November HM is quite doable, assuming I make it through the Chicago Marathon un-injured, and am able to recover fairly quickly.

Easy run, cross-training, and strength training are on the plan for today. This is the last week before I start tapering, so I just keep reminding myself that I only have to make it through one more week and then it only gets easier from there :weary:

Those of you in FL or or with family there are in my thoughts! I hope all is well. I heard from my family this morning. There was no damage to the house, just a lot of branches and one downed tree in the front yard. They have been without power since yesterday around noon, but still have running water and plenty of provisions to last until power is restored. It sounds like a last minute turn of the storm kept Tampa Bay from getting hit as hard as expected, and they are very grateful for that. Hope others have been as fortunate too.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

There really is something wrong with us. :lol:

@_nikkiwolf_ 27% grade! :open_mouth: Downhill would be more of a controlled fall I think!

I can heartily recommend reading the book 'Feet in the clouds' by Richard Askwith. It's pretty much a history of fell running in Britain interlaced with the author running his own challenges. Most of the 'famous' (not remotely famous outside the fells) runners are basically sheep farmers, who having spent their day out in the fields, go for ridiculous runs up hills and downhill at reckless speeds. Then they go back to their basic huts and never tell anyone about it. These guys are amazing. Fell running here doesn't have set routes - the idea is to get up and down the hillside (occasional mountain, we don't have many of them) as quickly as possible.

Just reading it made me worry i was going to break my neck.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm falling behind. Asthma and allergy issues all weekend. I'm really tired and have a super busy day today. So probably won't be back in the game until tomorrow. I need to step it up :-p
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ariceroni my brother and aunt and uncle are in Spring Hill just North of Tampa. My brother’s place is about 2 miles as the crow flies from the water. My Aunt and Uncle a few miles more inland. My brother’s gated community had mandatory evacuation so he’s with the Aunt/Uncle. They had no damage but no electric still so they waiting to winds to die down until the head to my brother’s. He lives right on a lake, like 20 yards from the water edge so hopefully there is no issue.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Since it was a shorter long run and I was short on time too (had to leave the house at 10:30 am to visit my boyfriend's family for the day, which meant getting in my miles, eating, and showering before then), I decided to make it a bit of a workout with some miles at marathon pace and half marathon pace: first 3 miles at MP (8:51, 8:49, 8:51), 1 easy, 2 at HMP (7:58, 7:57), 1 easy, another 2 at HMP (7:55, 7:55), 1 easy, and the final 3 at MP (8:47, 8:47, 8:49).

@ariceroni Are you following the Strava marathon plan ending 10/8 and/or a McMillan plan? Strava told me to do this for my long run this weekend, and they base their plans on McM, but I was planning to do 16 w/ hills instead with my group. I loved the look of the long workout though. Looks like you killed it!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)
    9/4 = 8.5 miles and a Hatha yoga class
    9/5 = Camp Gladiator class
    9/6 = 6 miles and 45 minutes strength training
    9/7 = 10.5 miles
    9/8 = 7 miles
    9/9 = rest day
    9/10 = 13.5 miles (run/walk intervals with running group)
    9/11 = 8 easy miles and 30 minutes strength training

I tried something new on my run this morning -- listening to an audiobook. It did not go well. I ran slower than average and I kept getting distracted and loosing track of the story. I don't think I am an audiobook person. I am going to try the podcast thing next. Does anyone listen to a good one?

Also, I am officially starting a countdown until my long 4 day weekend away with my husband. Today is day 8 out of 11 days working straight without a day off. 3 more days after today......

(September miles) 75.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Orphia yes, my marathon plan includes a carb load and fueling during the race. The carb load would occur the week before the race and the race offers GU at certain points during the race. I will bring an extra 1 or 2 packets of GU in addition to the ones passed out during the race. I have run fasted and unfasted long runs at this point and my performance is definitely improved by the process. I did a crab loading for my half-marathon and I could tell the difference when I ran.
    On this mornings run, I was able to keep an 8:40 pace while having a heart rate on the low side of zone 3. It felt ok and I could see me keeping this pace for the 26.2 miles with some adjustment as the longevity of the race wore down on me. That would give me a 3hour 48 minute marathon.(I would be ecstatic with that result.)
  • ariceroni
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    Since it was a shorter long run and I was short on time too (had to leave the house at 10:30 am to visit my boyfriend's family for the day, which meant getting in my miles, eating, and showering before then), I decided to make it a bit of a workout with some miles at marathon pace and half marathon pace: first 3 miles at MP (8:51, 8:49, 8:51), 1 easy, 2 at HMP (7:58, 7:57), 1 easy, another 2 at HMP (7:55, 7:55), 1 easy, and the final 3 at MP (8:47, 8:47, 8:49).

@ariceroni Are you following the Strava marathon plan ending 10/8 and/or a McMillan plan? Strava told me to do this for my long run this weekend, and they base their plans on McM, but I was planning to do 16 w/ hills instead with my group. I loved the look of the long workout though. Looks like you killed it!

@kristinegift Thanks! To be honest I'm not really following a training plan exactly, it's more of a "make it up as I go along" thing :sweat_smile: I loosely based things off the HH intermediate 1, at least as far as the general structure (3 easy/short runs, 1 medium long, 1 long) and the long run progression. I based my midweek workouts (kind of) from his Advanced 1 plan, except with progression runs instead of tempo runs, and then whatever I feel like (usually 400s or mile repeats) instead of hill repeats. I've thrown a few long run workouts into the mix (mainly pick ups or some MP miles near the end) too. As far as this most recent one, I just thought it sounded like a good combo tbh, nice and symmetric and some miles at MP on fatigued legs. So funny that it is the same as Strava/McMillan! :lol: It's very possible I saw this somewhere and subconsciously remembered it. It was a very fun long workout though! Just enough fast miles to tire out the legs a bit, but not so hard that I couldn't finish the workout strong. I would definitely recommend it sometime if you get the chance!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    9/1 - Rest Day.
    9/2 - 8.33 mile group run
    9/3 - 4 miles.
    9/4 - 5.94 mile group track/speed work...ouch
    9/5 - Rest Day. Still ouch.
    9/6 - 4.1 mile group hill repeats. Thought it would help soreness...it did not. As the leader says "You don't have to like it, just like what it does for you."
    9/7 - 4.63 miles.
    9/8 - 4.5 miles
    9/9 - 9 mile group run.
    9/10 - Rest day...way too much church, family stuff and kids' activities today.
    9/11 - 4.5 miles.

45/80 miles
  • ariceroni
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @ariceroni my brother and aunt and uncle are in Spring Hill just North of Tampa. My brother’s place is about 2 miles as the crow flies from the water. My Aunt and Uncle a few miles more inland. My brother’s gated community had mandatory evacuation so he’s with the Aunt/Uncle. They had no damage but no electric still so they waiting to winds to die down until the head to my brother’s. He lives right on a lake, like 20 yards from the water edge so hopefully there is no issue.

@skippygirlsmom Glad to hear there was no major damage and that they are safe and sound! Hopefully your brother's house didn't get any water damage. My grandmother lives across the street from the bay, so she evacuated to my parent's house. No word yet on her house either, sounds like a similar situation to your brother.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am late joining the party this month, but we had a family crisis on August 31st and we are just getting back to normal.

This week starts Week 1 training of half marathon in early December, so I am setting my goal to run according to training plan: 72 miles.

09/11/2017 - 4.0 miles

4/72 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    Sorry I am late joining the party this month, but we had a family crisis on August 31st and we are just getting back to normal.

This week starts Week 1 training of half marathon in early December, so I am setting my goal to run according to training plan: 72 miles.

09/11/2017 - 4.0 miles

4/72 miles

Sorry to hear about the crisis, but welcome to the group!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 13.1 miles! 2h:09m:49s
    9/2 3.1mi 31m:56s
    9/3 rest
    9/4 4.38mi 41m:07s
    9/5 6mi 57m:38s
    9/6 4mi 39m:50s
    9/7 7mi 69m:59s
    9/8 4mi 38m:49s
    9/9 9mi 1h:26m:35s
    9/10 rest
    9/11 5.2mi 53m:20s

Intervals on the treadmill today. Did a half mile warm up and cool down, 1 mi repeats at race pace with 90 second rests. Not going to lie, the last mile felt hard!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I walked in the American Heart Association Heart Walk in Dallas on Saturday. The walk itself was only 3.5 miles but between parking and entertaining the boys, we put in over 5 miles. Good times!

I went for a run yesterday morning and was doing great on time and heart rate and then I stepped off the sidewalk into a hole. I don't think I twisted anything so I walked for a bit and then ran another mile. I iced when I got home, but my other calf is sore today. I think I might have compensated/limped along. I am supposed to lift today...why is that such a hard thing to do?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    FUN! CR: 38:27 VAM: 1536
    Holy shizznit