WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• kyrasean
    kyrasean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new here but I am in the 50+ age group and I need to lose weight. I am a very stationary person, but that is going to change but I know I can't do this by myself.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, that is the lowest f scum. I saw video tonight on e news of a man who broke into a funeral home. Stayed there for about 3 hours, are some food, looked throughout he elrsonal property of the deceased there and then stripped down naked and put an outfit on that was to be put on a man. It even showed him smelling the underwear befor putting it on.

I used t decorate both the living room and family room when my kids wee young. And they even had a small tree in their roo. That they had free reign on. But times change. I hate to think of want Mozart will do to a tree. He has already demolished an artificial tree we had one family room and that is where we would have the Christmas tree if I put it up. We do open our gifts to the Kimme family the night before everyone gets here. And that is fun. And the grand kids do need to see their grandparents have a tree. The fellowship hall we have rented for our meal will have nothing but we have a small tree that we will put on a table le and the whole family wil,bring a decoration. Last year my sister helped the kids make their own decoration and the put it on the tree and then took them home. She was a preschool teacher for all of her career and that was right down her alley. It is hard for her to walk but not to sit with little ones. Plus the parents e Joyce done time they could have socializing with the rest of the family. But our family room during the rest of the year is a time of sadness for me. That is when I hear Charlie hitting the coffee table when he is mad or cussing loudly at the news. The cats don't even like to go down there and if one is on my lap,Mir is trembling when he acts like that. So. Go down there to do laundry and when the kids and gramds come, the bedroom is there and the kids sleep in the family room. So we al do some the evening I the family room. But the rest of the year is not happiness for me. I domt know how many tv remotes and wII remotes he has destroyed. I'm glad the end table is old but it was his Mom's and we do have a matching one. He has no access to that one. It's mine.

I saw a picture on fac book of a big ladder painted red with snow glued t it and Christmas village building were on it. Oh, boards were put through the steps of the tree to set things on. Oh, how my cat would destroy that beautiful thing.

JanetR, your ornaments are a work of art.

Can't remember who is modeling the red dress but you look fabulou! Red is your color. I hope you like your dress though.

Has been a quiet evening here. Charlie went out for his karoake night.mhe has grown in that. He used to say he knew of no one who is any better or better than him. Also he wouldn't ever go out unless his two friends were with him. Now he says that Che is glad he is in a group of people that are as good as him. There is one man who the two of them love to sing a Frank Sinatra and they like to go with each other a lot.

Heather, I forgot to say how cute your kids are. Sorry Edie gave you her cold.

Kelly, jauqeem rocks that helmet. He is a ladies man.

Ordered refill from Sam's club. This is me of the weeks that it seems like I order half of them. It is time for me to order my pain medicine.mthey have been giving me 100 but I only really only take one a night, sometimes I am need another one. The doctors nurse says I won't need a pain contract if I am off the Ambien, which I have not succeeded yet and can gtna refill for less than 50 pills. So I ordered 40 and will continue my goal of off the Ambien. I was hoping the Aleve would help with the legs more but they aren't

Night night, Joyce Indiana
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    CHRIS You're "The Lady in Red" from now on. Looking good!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Fabulous dress Chris! How could you resist buying it! Then you would have to go on a cruise to wear it! :D Good luck on the first date. I tend to think of restaurants etc as social occasions these days and generally just eat the same as I usually do. Fish and veggies. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying how sad I am over the news of Gloria. I echo all of your sentiments that she was a good friend and a wise woman. The world will be a little darker without her light. How sad her grandsons will be. I hope that someone as loving as she will step into the void she has left. Praying for all of her family and friends. This tragedy is hard to wrap my head around.

NY Karen - I think that is a wonderful NSV to be able to focus on your friend instead of FOOD

Lisa - Thank you for the information. I may have to refer back to it as tonight my mind is incapable of retaining the information.

KJ - Joaquin is still one little heart melter. I bet he has a certain Grandma wrapped around his little finger.

Pip - Big Congrats on hitting 2000 days.

Rye - I am sorry that happened with your application. The right job will come along.

Michele - Hoping there isn't serious damage to your Florida home.

Linda - How far North are you talking? I've only been as far North as Thunder Bay in your fair province.

Meg - Please take extra good care of yourself in this stressful time.
    Do you think DD#2 might be reacting to what is happening with your DH?

Chris - Lady with the Red Dress on, you look awesome!

Katla - Sound like you will be getting one of the best Christmas gifts.

Marcelyn - Your poor friend to have to deal with scum bags stealing from her in this time. Luckily she has you for a friend to help her get through this.

All of you talking about Christmas brought me some happy memories. We were always at home for Christmas as we were mixed farmers and chores always needed done. We always opened our stockings first. We were up at 4:45 but Dad would let the chores wait for a bit. Breakfast would be an orange, some nuts and one of those little cereal boxes all stuffed in our stockings. Oh and egg nog.
    Lots of relatives came out to our farm. We had lots of food because we grew it. Some would ice skate if our dugout was frozen enough, one of the horses would pull some sort of homemade sleigh. One year we used a tractor, turned an old truck hood upside down and piled the kids on. Then we played games. I think Dad did all the chores by himself. Quite a feat to look after chickens, pigs, the beef herd, milk 16 cows 2x that day and still be friendly to everyone. My Mom absolutely loved Christmas and my Dad loved her. As usual I could go on for days.

Missing Gloworm

Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta
  • elri1908
    elri1908 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

After an absence of 5 years, I am rejoining MFP. I had to 'unfriend' all my existing friends as they were no longer active or our goals are no longer the same. I would love to add new friends who are in their 50s (after all, our challenges are different) and have about 20kgs (between 45 and 50 pounds to lose).

A little bit about me:

MFP/DIETING HISTORY:
    - The previous time on MFP I lost 52 pounds. I did it for the wrong reasons and have since gained it all (and more) back
    - I have been struggling with my weight my whole life and have a poor self-image as a result.
    - I find it difficult to lose weight because I always focus on others and on work. I allow very little me-time to myself.
    - I am not good at following diets!

THE TRIGGER:
    - I have recently turned 50 and was (yet again) appalled at the photographs that were taken of me at my birthday party. I look terrible and the photos make me feel terrible about myself.

MY APPROACH TO LOSING WEIGHT:

EATING:
    I don't want to follow any fancy diets or restrictive eating plans, so my plan is as follows:
    Breakfast: Always a challenge. Therefore, I have decided to replace breakfast with a balanced meal-replacement shake and fiber supplement to make sure I am fueled for the morning.
    Lunch: Main meal. I don't exclude anything from my diet but do try to cut back on carbs and fat. This will be a packed lunch prepared on the previous evening.
    Dinner: I will try and keep my dinner small and eat before 7pm. (maybe soup or a salad)

EXERCISING:
    I find exercising difficult. My environment is also not very conducive to exercising as I live in Saudi Arabia. I cannot exercise outside in the extreme heat and moreover, I have to wear an abaya the moment I exit my door. There is also not a gym that I can use. So, I'll keep my exercising goals simple. For a start, I am going to try and walk 10 000 steps per day and up that when I can.

WHY AM I DOING THIS NOW?
    I call myself a '5-year planner'. Every five years, I need a major new challenge in terms of where I live/what I do for a living. The next 5 year period starts in June 2018 and I need to get ready for the new challenges that I will have to face. Moreover, I am just sick and tired of looking and feeling like I do. I live and work in an extremely challenging and toxic environment and it has started to get the better of me. That, combined with the fact that I am not happy in myself, is adding up and resulting in health problems. I need to put a stop to that now! The photos taken of me at my 50th birthday party was a very unpleasant wake-up call.

MY INTERESTS/HOBBIES:
    I am very interested in traveling, learning about different cultures, reading and photography.

In the past year, I have traveled to Egypt, Sri Lanka, India and Ireland. For the moment though, I will have to put a stop to traveling so much as I need to start saving money to buy a small home. Other than traveling, I love photography and seeing how others interpret the world through their photography. I am an avid reader. At the moment though, I keep my reading to fiction as it helps me escape. I read mostly murder mysteries.

WHAT KIND OF A MFP FRIEND AM I? I don't chat incessantly (I have a very busy schedule work wise), but I am a good supporter and motivator.

So, if your goals/interests are similar to mine, please add me as a friend.

Best of luck with your respective goals.
    Elri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I told you about my trip with my friend to the dressmaker, she is getting a mother of the bride outfit. Last Sunday we went back to the dressmaker for the first fitting, and I use that term loosely because it was just a muslin pattern at this point. The dressmaker had a beautiful red satin dress hanging in the room and when I admired it she persuaded me to try it on. I finally relented and felt awesome playing dress up. Here is me in the dress, playing fashion model, as you can see I had a blast.juzxt79gw9ev.jpg

i3rk98hlv2il.jpg

Beautiful!!

• Machka9
    Options
    Hi all you folks I met over the years. Hello to all you new people I haven't met. I'm going to try to get back with it. For now Shower time if I want a ride to coffee for 7:30.
    See you all lighter.
    Linda in Northern Ontario and I mean North

Where in Northern Ontario?

I lived in Winnipeg, Manitoba for 13 years and would cycle and holiday in the Kenora/Dryden area sometimes. :)
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    NYKAREN - Here's the link you were trying to create: Alex Evenings.

Quick and dirty lesson on how to create a link on a computer, skip if you're not interested:
    1) In this thread, type in the response box the words you want to use to link (like I just did with "Alex Evenings."
    2) Open another tab on a browser and go to the web page you want to link.
    3) There is what's called a URL address at the top of the browser that says suchandsuch.thisandso.com/whatever. Select that entire address with your cursor (you can click in the box and hold down the CTRL and press the A at the same time, and it will select it for you, or just double click inside the address box) and once it's all selected, press the CTRL C to copy.
    4) Go back to the tab with our thread.
    5) Use your cursor to highlight the words you typed in at number 1.
    6) There is a little icon at the top of our entry box that looks like a chain link. Click on it, and in the little box that pops up, press CTRL and the letter V at the same time. It will load that link in there for you. Click "OK" and it will close.
    Now - here's the key - it will throw the most ungodly text in the thread response box that you ever saw, and at the end of it will be the characters [ / u r l ] (I had to put spaces in between the letters to keep it from thinking it was code). Make sure anything else you type is to the right of that last bracket ] in order to keep your link intact. None of that gobbledy-gook of characters will actually show when you're done, it will just light up the words you selected in blue. You can press the Preview button at the bottom of the screen to check. Clear as mud? :wink:

Thanks Lisa, this is great! Excellent advice!

You know this, but I'll just add that you can use CTRL + V to paste or right click your mouse to paste. :) Whichever you prefer. With Microsoft, there are often two ways to do things.

Since I'm in training mode, anyway:
    How to quote with that little gray box - skip over this if you know, or if you just don't care.
    1. When you're looking at the post you want to quote, there is, at the bottom of the box, an upside down apostrophe and the word "Quote" in blue. Click on the word "Quote."
    2. It will snap you down to the thread reply box, with that entire post copied right into your reply. If you don't need all of it, you can actually delete everything you don't want to reply to... however!
    3. To do that, while you're still in the reply box, you will see at the beginning of their post that it copied in a word in brackets [ quote] (Again, when I type it in, I'll add odd spaces, as these codes are commands to the system to do certain things.). At the end of the post is the same word, but with a slash in front of it, [ / quote]. You can delete anything you want to between those two bracketed commands, and it will still put that little gray box around it.
    Like this
    5. If you accidentally delete even one letter of those two commands, it won't put a box around it.
    6. Note: If you type your answer to the person you're quoting between those two commands, it will also put your answer in the box. If instead, you start typing to the right of that last command, [ / quote] put a space after that last bracket ] and it will put your answer below the gray box.
    Just so you know, what you're learning while doing this is HTML - Hyper Text Markup Language. This is for the curious only - Here's what the code means:
    1. The opening bracket [, tells the computer that you're about to give it a command.
    2. The word "quote" tells it what you want it to do.
    3. The close bracket after "quote" ], says OK, now everything after this is a quote and should be in a gray box.
    4. Whatever text comes after that stays in the gray box until it sees the next opening bracket [ which tells the computer you're about to give it another command.
    5. The slash / says stop doing what you're doing, and the word "quote" after it tells it what you want it to stop doing. The close bracket ] then tells the computer that those two commands are now complete.
    If you've ever wondered why you ended up bolding everything, or italicizing everything when you meant to only do that on a little bit of your text, if you look at your reply box, you'll see the beginning and ending codes for italics [ i] and [ /i] are where your italics begin and end. Everything you type in between the two will be italicized. The same for bold, only it's [ b] and [ /b].

Hope that helps someone out...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas

P.S. Oh! and if you have forgotten something or want to change something in your post (like me adding this PS) there is a little gear wheel icon that will appear at the top right hand side of the box if you hover your mouse over that corner. You have exactly one hour to edit a post by clicking on that gear and selecting Edit, and then it's sealed in stone. You MUST also click on the "Save Post" button at bottom right after you're done with your edit.

I'll add to the quote information ... as far as I have been able to tell, you can only quote things on the same page. So you can go through and click to quote one person, and another, and another ... but only on the same page. If you go to the next page, you lose the quotes.

However, you can get around that (as I did here in this post) by quoting what you want to quote on the first page, copying it (select it all, right click, copy or select it all, CTRL + C), then go to the next page, quote what you want to quote, go to the top or bottom of what you've quoted, and paste what you copied from the previous page.

Lisa, have you designed web pages? I've done one (my own) from scratch based on what I learned myself from reading an HTML4 book. I've done a few pages for classes as well. I enjoy doing it and would like to do more. :)

If anyone is interested, either Lisa or I could probably show you how to post a photo which will be a link ... you can click it and it will take you to another website or photo album. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    elri1908 wrote: »
    WHY AM I DOING THIS NOW?
    I call myself a '5-year planner'. Every five years, I need a major new challenge in terms of where I live/what I do for a living. The next 5 year period starts in June 2018 and I need to get ready for the new challenges that I will have to face. Moreover, I am just sick and tired of looking and feeling like I do. I live and work in an extremely challenging and toxic environment and it has started to get the better of me. That, combined with the fact that I am not happy in myself, is adding up and resulting in health problems. I need to put a stop to that now! The photos taken of me at my 50th birthday party was a very unpleasant wake-up call.

MY INTERESTS/HOBBIES:
    I am very interested in traveling, learning about different cultures, reading and photography.

In the past year, I have traveled to Egypt, Sri Lanka, India and Ireland. For the moment though, I will have to put a stop to traveling so much as I need to start saving money to buy a small home. Other than traveling, I love photography and seeing how others interpret the world through their photography. I am an avid reader. At the moment though, I keep my reading to fiction as it helps me escape. I read mostly murder mysteries.

Hi!

I'm kind of a 5-year planner too. It has just worked out that way over the years ...

My husband and I married in 2008, after getting to know each other for 5 years.
    Then we worked and prepared and finally took an 8-month trip around the world in 2012, spilling over into 2013. It was the culmination of that 5 years plan.
    Over the past 4 years, we've been in a "settling" phase but we're coming to the end of a 5 year stretch and are starting to consider other options ...

I also like travelling, learning about different cultures, reading and photography (although I'm really just a dabbler) ... as well as a variety of sports like cycling, hiking and several others. I grew up in Canada ... and then moved to Australia in 2009 ... and have travelled to various parts of Asia and Europe.

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Chris you look great in the red dress, style and color suit you. Hope all the restaurant events have choices that make sense, like Heather says stick to veggies and proteins.

Marcelyn that is terrible, stealing from folks already suffering. Your friend is very lucky to have your support, hope she takes time to count you as one of her treasures.

Enjoying the adorable baby pics- boy they're growing so fast!

I'm happy to have a breather from a busy week, still my brain wakes me too early with so much to think about. I need to clear out some mental clutter as well as actual clutter I guess. Today will be a day for exercise, yard work and DH wants to clothes shop for himself which is the opposite of a good time, the polar opposite :s NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Chris- wowza you look stunning..you go girl...today I'm going to get .y clothes packed in boxes and take my tatty dresser to the dump.
    Gloria's daughter Patrice is trying to join the group and I explained the steps to get here to her so here is hoping..if any of you can inlighten her to an easy way to find us please do.you can find her on Gloria's Facebook page..she is just as sweet as Gloria was...and I have to ask does anyone know if the poor pup survived?
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Chris- wowza you look stunning..you go girl...today I'm going to get .y clothes packed in boxes and take my tatty dresser to the dump.
    Gloria's daughter Patrice is trying to join the group and I explained the steps to get here to her so here is hoping..if any of you can inlighten her to an easy way to find us please do.you can find her on Gloria's Facebook page..she is just as sweet as Gloria was...and I have to ask does anyone know if the poor pup survived?

She would have to be a member of MFP, I believe ...

And then just go here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10593564/women-ages-50-for-september-2017#latest

This is not a Group ... this is just a thread within a subforum of the MFP forums.

It is visible by anyone in the world with a computer. However to participate, you'd need to be a MFP member.

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Saturday! Slept in until 6:30, lingering over a second cup of coffee. My to-do list today: Library, grocery shopping, food prep, lunch, fix my dryer (if time), and head over to sit with MIL for a few hours. I hate to wish time away, but I am looking forward to 7pm tonight when I am home and relaxing.
    My eating/snacking have been CRAZY! I think it is due to the lack of walking. I have what feels like a pinched nerve behind my knee and it is making standing up and walking difficult. So...I haven't not walked a whole lot this past week or two. I plan to start hopping in the pool in the mornings, again, and see if that will work this out. So...if you don't see me on here in the early mornings; that is why.
    Chris- Wowza! You look stunning in that style and color. I agree with Heather. THAT is an event dress! You need to get a dress like that and go on a cruise or to some kind of fancy-schmancy event.
    Marcelyn- Looters! Ugh! My heart goes out to your friend. I can't imagine the relief then anger/hurt felt when finding those things that can be salvaged from a flood and putting them some place "safe" only to find some one broke in and made off with your things.
    Christmas again- As you know, like Janet, I am a Christmas junkie! I love the holiday so much that I turn it into a summer party for my kiddos. I have to admit; the summer day that it is our Chris-summer party, in the evening I close all of the curtains (so I can't see the green outside) and sit on the couch with a cup of cocoa and a gingerbread man (we always decorate cookies as part of our daycare party) and watch a Christmas movie (Holiday Inn or White Christmas). That said, IN the past most of the decorating for the holiday and cookie making etc. has been a family effort. But since my kids have gone off to college and DH has been wallowing in "missing the kids", all of the decorating has fallen to me. Most of it I don't mind, but the tree (real one) is getting to be a bit much. Especially putting on the d**n lights! Drives me up a wall. This year we will be heading to Texas (driving), some time between Christmas and New Year, so I am thinking of just putting a little pre-lit artificial tree up. That way, we can enjoy it in the days/weeks before Christmas, DYS will have a tree to come home to as he will be working and not traveling with us, and I don't have to trouble myself with needles, dry tree, and take down after driving back from TX. THere. Having written down my plan, it sounds a lot more reasonable and less "slacker-like".
    London bomb- I am so happy that the bomb didn't fully detonate. Hurt and angry that these things are happening, but so thankful that more weren't injured.

Ah well, I have a Pileated Woodpecker outside my window! He has been quite noisy with his chortling and drilling. But I love to watch them. Time for me to fly away and get things done. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Lisa- LOL! Cute pic! My days are filled with kids making that face and whining "He looked at me!". I didn't know that there was a movie version of the Dark Tower. That is one of the only Stephen King books I haven't read. As a matter of fact, my son in law keeps urging me to read it. As we tend to like the same books, and he is positive I will like it, I should probably pick it up at the library when I go this morning. There are a few movies that, I feel, were better than the book. Forrest Gump, Fried Green Tomatoes, and (to my brother's dismay) The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I could not get through the HObbit or TLOTR books until the movies came out. THEN, after I saw the movies, I went back and read the books again.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    KJ - The Dark Tower series is seven books, I think. Corey and I both went back and read the first of the series and agreed that it was still as inaccessible as we found it in the first place. The movie collapses parts of the series into one space, and my best friend, who has read all the books, agreed that it was very, VERY different from the books, not just because of it being condensed, but for other reasons. I liked the movie. Couldn't read the book.