Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Speziface wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

I really don't care what the yankees up in Ohio do with their stews.

IT'S NOT STEW! Ground beef does not a stew make.
    We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

I'm not a chili expert, but isn't chili just bolognese with different spices?

More heat, no milk, plus beans and peppers.

Bolognese has milk? :hushed:
    You learn new things every day.
    I'm no expert with meat things.

Milk or (usually) cream to enhance the richness.

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

No you are just talking crazy!

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

I think the only thing really required in chili is, well, chilis.

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.

Interesting. So when we dry chilis from our garden and grind them, that's not chili powder because we didn't add cumin?

I would think that's ground chili rather than chili powder, but maybe there are brands of chili powder that don't add other spices. I generally just grab McCormick.

All this chili talk is making me want chili... I might have to do a little shopping tonight. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Texas Chili competitions, the only ones that matter, will disqualify you for putting beans in a stew and calling it chili.

We have a restaurant locally called "Real Chili" and you can get your chili either over noodles (macaroni, not spaghetti), potatoes, or neither. Greasy spoon and a great place to stop after bar time.

Again, noodles are not pasta, noodles are Asian, pasta is Italian and chili shouldn't be served with either. I'll let the potatoes pass.

But you could add some to chili for the same reason. It would also mellow the heat a little bit.

Chemically it's pretty much the same thing as putting cheese in the chili. Taste-wise it's something else. Personally I prefer to add a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder, skip the cheese, and crumble in cornbread.

I don't dislike cheese on chili but I don't put it in there. And always as a garnish only, sprinkled on top of a bowl of chili. Never in the pot.

Chili also varies from bolognese in that it doesn't have to include ground beef and may include other types of meat besides beef.

I've made bolognese with ground lamb, ground turkey, ground chicken, and sky bison, although the birds taste a bit different.

I've made chili with lamb, bison, pork, elk, and turkey. The turkey chili always seems like its missing a little something; I think the other meats just add some gaminess (and definitely some fat) that turkey can't.

But is it truly bolognese without beef? I mean people make pizza without dough but technically it's not pizza.

Chilis and cumin. Chili powder is nothing more than ground ancho chili, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic. Other ingredients can be included, but this is the basic.

Interesting. So when we dry chilis from our garden and grind them, that's not chili powder because we didn't add cumin?

I would think that's ground chili rather than chili powder, but maybe there are brands of chili powder that don't add other spices. I generally just grab McCormick.

All this chili talk is making me want chili... I might have to do a little shopping tonight. :D

LOL Right now in our house we probably have at least 6 different store bought chili powders and 4 homemade.

Google says they are all chili powder:

chil·i pow·der
    ˈCHilē ˈpoudər/
    noun
    noun: chilli powder; noun: chili powder; noun: chile powder; plural noun: chilli powders

a hot-tasting spice made from ground dried red chilies, sometimes with other spices.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017

Yup, that is ground chili pepper, not chili powder.

Google is not the best source for this. The food industry (spice merchants and chefs) make a definite distinction between the two.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    gotta get the cumin though, whether it's premixed with your chili powder or not. cumin is a wonder spice.
  • Need2Exerc1se

It's powdered chilis but not chili powder. I'm still calling it chili powder. Google says I can.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    gotta get the cumin though, whether it's premixed with your chili powder or not. cumin is a wonder spice.

Agree.
  • jdlobb
    cumin is like salt. it's never not ok to use it, and pretty much everything can be made better with it.
  • earlnabby
    Ruatine wrote: »

Icky. Stay away from McCormick and the other huge brands (Tone, anyone?) Low quality ingredients and it can be as much as 3 years old before it even hits the grocery shelves.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    cumin is like salt. it's never not ok to use it, and pretty much everything can be made better with it.

Um, no. Now I disagree.
  • earlnabby

It's powdered chilis but not chili powder. I'm still calling it chili powder. Google says I can.

You missed the edit. Google is NOT the best source for this information. The food industry, especially the spice merchants, make a distinction.
  • jdlobb
    yes. Powered chili should be pure chili pepper, dried and ground. "Chili powder" should specifically be a powder for use in the prepared dish, "chili."
  • Need2Exerc1se

You missed the edit. Google is NOT the best source for this information. The food industry, especially the spice merchants, make a distinction.

If I grind my dried chilis into a powder I'm still calling it chili powder.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

I am partial to a chili cheese dog when on your fine shores though.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.

One of these years, I am going to drive down Highway 61 from St. Louis to New Orleans, and I am going to eat all of the BBQ and listen to all the Delta Blues.

We need to get all the Midwesterners together for a road trip.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Side note: Southern Ohio is aptly named and largely populated by Kentucky transplants.
    I ain't no yankee.

Besides, you missed the point. Cincinnati style chili doesn't have beans.

Yeah, I was in southern Ohio a few years ago for work and I was surprised at how at home I felt (I'm originally from Arkansas). I mean, there are differences between regions of the South, but it felt very familiar to me.
  • earlnabby
    yes. Powered chili should be pure chili pepper, dried and ground. "Chili powder" should specifically be a powder for use in the prepared dish, "chili."

and the oregano in it has to be Mexican oregano (sometimes called "wild marjoram"). Mediterranean oregano does not work with the chilis and cumin the same way.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

If it has beans it's not chili. It's stew.

If it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hot dog or pasta sauce.

Texas chili has no beans in it.

Texas chili looks like Goulash.
  • jdlobb

and the oregano in it has to be Mexican oregano (sometimes called "wild marjoram"). Mediterranean oregano does not work with the chilis and cumin the same way.

yeah, mexican oregano, which is not actually oregano. It's super noticeable when people mix up the 2.
  • jdlobb
    Putting milk in chili might actually be illegal in Texas. If it's not, it should be.

What about sour cream? It's just congealed milk...and freakin' awesome in chili.

debatable, but still only acceptable as a topping, and used sparingly.

Chili should never be cooked with dairy products involved.
This discussion has been closed.