Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Putting milk in chili might actually be illegal in Texas. If it's not, it should be.

What about sour cream? It's just congealed milk...and freakin' awesome in chili.

debatable, but still only acceptable as a topping, and used sparingly.

Chili should never be cooked with dairy products involved.

I agree. I would only add sour cream if having over nachos, and even then I probably wouldn't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    edited September 2017
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

If it has beans it's not chili. It's stew.

If it doesn't have beans it's not chili, it's hot dog or pasta sauce.

Texas chili has no beans in it.

Texas chili looks like Goulash.

Hold up.

I was raised by a West Virginia-born Pennsylvania-raised mom and she called goulash a recipe of tomato sauce, hamburger meat, pepper and onion poured over macaroni noodles.

We are so weirdly wonderfully diverse.

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    My mom has to add sour cream to chili because she has no tolerance for spice.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

My wife is the same way. I figure if I ain't sweating, it needs more heat!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    @piperdown44
    I should tell my co-workers that I'm entering the chili contest with a chili made of fruit and seeds and record their reactions.

Hold up.

I was raised by a West Virginia-born Pennsylvania-raised mom and she called goulash a recipe of tomato sauce, hamburger meat, pepper and onion poured over macaroni noodles.

Around here, goulash is ground beef (or mini meatballs) and onions in a brown cream sauce over wide egg noodles
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

When I make chili for the family, I have to make 2 batches. One for me and a mild one for the wimps who can't take the heat.
  • jdlobb

yep.

The hardest thing about living in New York for me was the lack of really spicy food. Every once in a while I would get a craving for mouth scorching spicy, and it was super inconvenient to find it. Most "mexican" food was out, because it was more Puerto Rican or Dominican than Mexican, and their cuisine seems to be heat-averse. Best bet was usually Indian.
  • earlnabby

When I make chili for the family, I have to make 2 batches. One for me and a mild one for the wimps who can't take the heat.

My Mom always made it for her (a wimp) and put the bottles of cayenne and Tabasco on the table for those who wanted to heat it up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    @piperdown44

Hold up.

Goulash has chunks of meat and a spicy sauce, mostly eaten with pasta apparently but I don't like that, rather potatoes. When I googled Texan chili it looked basically like that.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

yep.

The hardest thing about living in New York for me was the lack of really spicy food. Every once in a while I would get a craving for mouth scorching spicy, and it was super inconvenient to find it. Most "mexican" food was out, because it was more Puerto Rican or Dominican than Mexican, and their cuisine seems to be heat-averse. Best bet was usually Indian.

Had that same problem working a contract in Maryland... peeps just could not understand what spicy really means.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    yes. Powered chili should be pure chili pepper, dried and ground. "Chili powder" should specifically be a powder for use in the prepared dish, "chili."

and the oregano in it has to be Mexican oregano (sometimes called "wild marjoram"). Mediterranean oregano does not work with the chilis and cumin the same way.

Here we have oregano and marjoram. It is not called wild though. Would it be what you call wild?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    @piperdown44

Hold up.

I was going to call sacriledge on the ground beef in goulash, but when I googled it, all the recipes called for ground beef.

Now I'm baffled at what my Eastern European mom called 'goulash' (cubed steak over mashed potatoes, and no tomato sauce, it was a brown sauce)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    European Goulash:
    743040-420x280-fix-gulasch-nach-oma-magda.jpg

Texan Chili (?):
    20111108-beef-texas-chili-con-carne-08.jpg
  • jdlobb
    yes. Powered chili should be pure chili pepper, dried and ground. "Chili powder" should specifically be a powder for use in the prepared dish, "chili."

and the oregano in it has to be Mexican oregano (sometimes called "wild marjoram"). Mediterranean oregano does not work with the chilis and cumin the same way.

Here we have oregano and marjoram. It is not called wild though. Would it be what you call wild?

nope. regular marjoram is also a member of the "mint" family of spices, like oregano. Mexican oregano and wild marjoram are the same thing, and is neither oregano or marjoram.

Because words don't even have meaning so what's the point.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Goulash here is not ground beef, it's a cheap cut in chunks and features paprika. Like this:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/180653/beef-goulash
  • earlnabby

Nope. Marjoram and Oregano are kissing cousins and are both members of the mint family. Mexican oregano (wild marjoram) is a completely different species unrelated to the mints. The botanical name is Lippia graveolens and it is actually related to verbena.
  • annaskiski
    Goulash here is not ground beef, it's a cheap cut in chunks and features paprika. Like this:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/180653/beef-goulash

That's closer to my Mom's, but not made with tomato sauce...
  • earlnabby
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @piperdown44

Hold up.

I was going to call sacriledge on the ground beef in goulash, but when I googled it, all the recipes called for ground beef.

Now I'm baffled at what my Eastern European mom called 'goulash' (cubed steak over mashed potatoes, and no tomato sauce, it was a brown sauce)

That is closer to what I knew as goulash.

Hungarian goulash, on the other hand, is red but from paprika, not tomatoes.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I did not know people felt so passionately about beans in chili (or lack thereof). But whatever your preference at no point can you call it a stew. Or soup. WTF is that about!? And serving it with spaghetti? You over the ponders are a weird lot.

As a Brit who experiences no regional variations of chili beyond are you fancy and put a bit of dark chocolate in and puts beans in if I have them and considers chili to be about the flavour more than anything (so I'm also cool with vegi varieties) I find this whole conversation entertaining. We probably break all kinds of rules though as it's most often served with rice here. Or loaded nachos.

I am partial to a chili cheese dog when on your fine shores though.

You just need to come back to the U.S. and go on a Chili Trail Pilgrimage. Or, better yet, a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage, if you want to see a real smackdown.

For the record, although I happily eat any and all chili and BBQ, I favor a Virginia vinegar sauce over ribs or pulled pork (brisket is way down the list) and I will kick anyone's butt in a chili cook-off with my white chicken chili. The secret ingredient? Evil.

I am so on board with a BBQ Trail Pilgrimage.

One of these years, I am going to drive down Highway 61 from St. Louis to New Orleans, and I am going to eat all of the BBQ and listen to all the Delta Blues.

We need to get all the Midwesterners together for a road trip.

Okay, but we all have to meet in St. Louis, not Minnesota. Delta Blues > Dylan.

Also, one of the stops has to be Lambert's Throwed Rolls Cafe in Sikeston, MO. It's not BBQ, but the local baseball team boys throw rolls at your head and expect you to catch them.
  • annaskiski
    edited September 2017
    annaskiski wrote: »
    @piperdown44

Hold up.

That is closer to what I knew as goulash.

Hungarian goulash, on the other hand, is red but from paprika, not tomatoes.

This is similar to my Mom's goulash, down to the cucumber salad even....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/hungarian-goulash-recipe2-2011533

ETA, although I see even this one has tomatoes..
This discussion has been closed.