Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    dythom wrote: »
    Weight loss is easy. There's no "trick". Any diet based on CICO works.

Most people eat way too many carbs and not enough fat.

Exercise should be easy and enjoyable.

In my world, truly easy exercise is not enjoyable . . . especially over the long haul. There are plenty of very different delicious flavors of 'not easy', though.

A lot of people should do more LISS, though. (Relax; it's just an opinion. Do what meets your exercise needs, and I'll support you. I think most people should eat more veggies, too, but I don't force-feed my friends brussels sprouts. Mostly. ;) )

I completely agree with you. I think some activity every day is the way to go and every day can't be high intensity. You body needs time to recover and build on the work. But all those days in between... a nice walk or bike ride is a beautiful thing. Helps with cardio health, active recovery, burns calories etc. I get that it is more time consuming and people have busy lives. So, that can be a factor. But LISS does seem to be unpopular these days.

Ironically, I think one 'marketing' factor is that LISS is perceived as not what the cool kids do. But in a lot of sports, elite athletes do and have done a boatload of LISS . . . just not LISS only.

When the hoi polloi mostly did LISS, some trainers clued to the idea that one thing many elites did and most average Jills and Joes didn't, was HIIT. That became a marketing hook those folks could use to sell product (books, videos, clicks, whatever) and the rest is history.

(As an aside, I think this is almost exactly analogous to the way hucksters sell "investing for the little guy" programs that use "the secrets of the ultra-rich".)

Couldn't agree with you more!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    from personal experience I feel & loose much better eating foods that are good for me vs "junk food" with the same amount of calories! can't explain it

You can't explain why you feel better when you choose foods that are good for you?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    from personal experience I feel & loose much better eating foods that are good for me vs "junk food" with the same amount of calories! can't explain it

you might feel better but you are not losing any faster/better.

esp if they are the same amount of calories.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef wrote: »

you might feel better but you are not losing any faster/better.

esp if they are the same amount of calories.

She might be more compliant or might have higher NEAT due to the psychological boost of feeling "on track".

That would be the only explanation if she is, in fact, losing faster.

absolutely but I expect this poster is alluding to "not all calories are the same" argument.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    mathjulz wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Question about resistance training since we're on the topic. I know cycling isn't considered resistance training in general, but what about hill-climbing? I'm asking because I have technically have osteoporosis, but when I took a spill last year and fell sideways smack onto the pavement still clipped in, while I had deep bruises on my hip from the impact I didn't break anything.

Since I wasn't doing any other weigh-bearing exercise at the time I've wondered if training on hills had anything to do with not breaking my hip?

Hill climbing would involve resistance. I can't imagine any other way to get up the hill. ;)

I have read that biking does not build bone density and that is the point of weight/resistance training and that some studies show that depending on how much you bike you could be reducing bone density.

Agree - depends on volume of riding, years riding age, type of riding etc etc.
    An elite long distance road rider with very low body mass with years of riding under their belt is going to have a very different issue compared to a recreational mountain biker or sprinter for example.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/

Bone health, especially for ladies, is important. When my wife was a Radiographer she used to describe the first frost of winter as "Colles fracture weather".

It is odd the things that affect bone. I attended a seminar on osteoporosis once and they said that walking up stairs does little for bone health but walking down stairs does. They also said the very best thing for bone health is jumping.

I remember when I was in college the first time (two decades ago :anguished: ) a teacher talked about a study someone had done where women with osteoporosis were put into two groups. One group just did their regular stuff, and the other group spent a short amount of time (20-30 minutes?) jumping off a box. It was only 4-6" off the ground, IIRC. The second group had significantly more bone density at the end of the study.

I'd prefer fun exercises to jumping off a box, but any sort of load bearing impact exercise would work, I guess.

It's been years since I attended that seminar but I believe they said jumping just 30 times a day was enough for the average otherwise healthy adult to avoid osteoporosis. So 30 jumping jacks, which would take only minutes, should do it.

Thanks for clarifying! I knew my memory was fuzzy.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member

I think you're confusing easy and simple.

Easy means it doesn't take a lot of effort. For some people, adhering to a calorie deficit may be easy but for most who need to lose weight there is a challenge there; it takes conscious effort.

Simple means uncomplicated. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you will lose weight. Add in some activity and get the right macro balance and most of the weight lost will be fat. But it isn't always easy to do that.

good way to differentiate. It would be more accurate to say that weight loss is simple, but it's definitely not easy.
  • SezxyStef
    jdlobb wrote: »

Easy means it doesn't take a lot of effort. For some people, adhering to a calorie deficit may be easy but for most who need to lose weight there is a challenge there; it takes conscious effort.

Simple means uncomplicated. Eat fewer calories than your body uses and you will lose weight. Add in some activity and get the right macro balance and most of the weight lost will be fat. But it isn't always easy to do that.

good way to differentiate. It would be more accurate to say that weight loss is simple, but it's definitely not easy.

and easy is quite subjective.

I found that this time it was easy to lose the weight...mainly because I got educated.

I didn't feel I had to exclude foods or starve or do any big workouts all the time...so it was easy.

I got that I could eat burgers and bread and heck drink beer and eat pizza and AMG eat chocolate every night (I did too...not just a small piece an entire bar)

and still was in a deficit...it was easy and simple...this time.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    unpopular opinion: the majority of "medical" explanations people give for their obesity are bogus

I agree. Most of these "explanations" are easily debunked by a cursory review of the reported disease state.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member

Indeed. The "how to" is simple. The "execution" of the "how to" is where things can get murky...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jesslla wrote: »
    This is NOT my opinion. It's the opinion of some dumb butt in a diabetic community I'm in on Facebook.

Eating nothing but potatoes for a year (without butter or other fats) is a good idea to lose weight and lower your blood sugar. Of course he read about this diet on the web.

My eyes rolled so hard I sprained something.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl/apr/potatoes.htm

Well . . . the Irish peasants WERE the healthiest among the European peasant class while they subsisted on potatoes and buttermilk. *insert sarcasm emoji here*
This discussion has been closed.