WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,924 Member
    Options
    I want to join!!! Are you setting goals for October? I am 50, I live in Thailand, and I am a Zumba instructor. I would like to lose 20 lbs.

Wendybirdgirl

:) Hi Wendy, I hope you'll keep coming back. We restart this thread for each new month to give us the feel of making a fresh start or having a clean slate. Some of us set new goals each month. Some set the same goals every month. Some set no goals at all. The most important thing is that we check in regularly with each other and provide support and encouragement. Some of the encouragement is about weight loss,healthy eating, and fitness and sometimes it's about personal life struggles. They are all connected. Line dance and dog walking are my passion.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 new gym- 7.52min, 138mhr, 11.3amph. 1.4mi= 71c
    apple watch- 58c
    *manual* TREADMILL jog- 35min, 149mhr, 141ahr, 14.53min mi, 2.35 = 400c
    apple watch- 412c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.32min, 15.5amph, 124mhr, 1.4mi= 62c
    appple watch- 49c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 15.15min, 152mhr, 11.9amph, 3mi= 159c
    apple watch- 122c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.02min, 146mhr, 9.33min mi, .5mi= 62c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5min est, 10min mi est, .5mi = 71c
    apple watch- 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.21min, 8.3eamph, 2.3mi = 183c
    apple watch- 138c

total cal 1008
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    grits - war and peace?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    For some reason the Prevention DVD didn't work in my laptop. It worked at home. Anyway, I used an extreme strength and instead of the barbell I just used free weights. The plan for tomorrow is to go to the deep water class.

After exercising, I'll probably stop at the Salvation Army then come home. A friend and I are going to go to the new Lidl's to check it out.

DJ - that second place for the Christmas Party sounds really good. Hope the price and food meets your needs, I'd go with them if they come in for you. Update: so sorry that one place didn't work out

Mary - my heart goes out to Rowan and his entire family. Update: yea Rowan is going home!! So glad to hear the move is doing better for you. Something will come along for dh....good things are worth waiting for.

janetr - no, I agree, you can't MAKE someone lose weight. It has to be that they want to do it. Bryan was severly overweight in high school. It wasn't until he was in college and WANTED to lose the weight, that it came off. I'm just thinking that maybe Jess doesn't know (like to keep something in her pocketbook so that she doesn't get starving hungry). What imperfection was on your lovely ornament????

Wendy - do you put something under your trees so that the weeds hopefully don't grow and to make mowing the grass easier? What do you use, mulch or plants? Love your kitties. We have 4. How many do you have?

Sharon - I'm sorry you're going thru this. Come here any time at all and just get things off your chest. It feels so good and many times you can see things more clearly or someone has a great idea.

Lanette - you can come clean my house any time at all. You have such good tips. Vince says that he'd get me a maid only if I couldn't do it myself because he knows me and he knows I'd clean before she got here because I wouldn't want her to see the house a mess and then I'd clean after she left because she didn't do it my way

Lenora - the final dress fitting went well, thanks for asking. Surprisingly, there wasn't any drama between Jess and Denise. Jess, to me, was very mature and asking real good questions. Denise is in her "bridzilla" mode.

Welcome Brady!!!

Terry in VT - so sorry the infection is worse. WTG on those jeans! And you are so right, it really doesn't matter if anyone notices or not.

barbie - your lunch sounds amazing. Glad you found a good place to eat. Glad to hear all is well with Jake

Wendy - welcome!

Michele back in NC for now
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lenora, Thanks, wow quite a business plan you presented there. I'm not lookIng for full-time work. Lol. Nor would I ever take orders for what people want. I make what I like and enjoy making. Sometimes they are such a PITB I would not make two of them. I'm doing this for fun. I'll probably never sell any of them, if I ever do, it will be on a "here is what I have to choose from" basis... take it or leave it :)

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Michele fhe rhinestones on the upper left side along the red beads are not straight and the pearl tear drop bead on the right side is higher than the one on the left. I did fix it this morning. Lol

Thanks for your kind words.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Lanette not sure I can pronounce Russian Aristocracy, but it sure sounds GRAND!! lol

Thank you for the kind words.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2017
    Options
    To all our friends who have made kind comments, I truly thank you and thanks for putting up with my continual posting of them. I know the pics take up a lot of space.

Janetr okc

• Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - Do you know how to cook prairie oysters?
    We called them Rocky Mountain Oysters. Yes, I do but I never acquired the taste for them. Too blood rich for me. AND... after you've spent a day getting them, watching them dump over in the manure, fighting the cats for them they aren't all that appealing... yet we would have town folks always call and ask us to save some for them.

Three-hour drive to Carlsbad this morning for about four hours of meetings, then over to Hobbs
    We lived in Lovington for 7 years. If you asked my three oldest kids that is where they would claim they are "from."

Peach1948 wrote: »
    I wanted to put porcelain tile in the kitchen but DH says that if the Pom pees on it, we will never get the odor out. Do any of you have any input on this?
    I've had porcelain tile in kitchen and bathrooms both. Never had a problem with odors from various things, potty training kids, cats, or dogs.... If you have it installed with epoxy grout it is waterproof. The epoxy grout makes it just like a solid surface, sheds water, doesn't absorb water or spills like regular sanded grout. Consider that. We have porcelain tile with epoxy grout for a counter-top in our guest house as we couldn't afford granite and wanted a solid surface. Looks great and works great. I also have it in my bathrooms.
    I am a Romantic with a capital R. I love to imagine and I like everything to be beautiful. My husband doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.
    Just the opposite for my husband and I. Every birthday, Christmas, valentines, or just random day he will give me flowers or write a love note, he buys terribly romantic cards..... and I give him a joke card. lol It just seems totally wrong to get something mushy. It is SO not me.

Nothing personal to report here, just catching up with everyone else,
    Marcelyn
    in Houston

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Congratulations on all that you've accomplished! :flowerforyou:

Terry in VT: My daughter did open an account in MFP a few years ago but she has not been active as far as I know. :ohwell:

Mary: Good news about Rowan! I hope little Brady has an easy birth. :smiley:

Kim: I was all set to offer a bunch of advice, but I like what Barbie has to say much better than my original ideas. I remember that you had a dog. Dog walking is great for the mind, body and soul. (((HUGS)))

Barbie: I'm glad your trip to Jake's doctor for medical advice turned out to be pleasant. The xray showing that all is well following his previous surgery is great news. :bigsmile:

Wendybirdgirl: Welcome. Many of us set goals at the beginning of each month. I found the ones that fit me best and I typically set the same ones every month. October is coming right up. Barbie will give us a new thread for October 1, and she puts a link on the current thread so it is easy to find the new one. My first step will be to report on how well I did with this month's goals and list my new(old) goals for next month. :smiley:

I went out and rode Arrow for a while today and did not enjoy myself. :ohwell: I got my big toe smashed under his hoof while I was grooming and saddling him and then he was a lazy pill for the ride. The toe is bruised but not broken and doesn't hurt at the moment. I put DMSO on it, and that was very helpful at reducing pain and swelling. I've had the DMSO since the 1970's and don't know where I'll find more when I run out.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Good luck RYE. Knock'em dead. And try to get some sleep tonight, lol. (I wouldn't)

Michelle I am always trying to mulch under everything with weedmat, old feedsacks, carpet, underlay and whatever I can get my hands on, to cut down on weeding time. I have put bark, leaves and "shellrock" on top whenever I can. (Not sure if you'll know what shellrock is and not sure if it has a different name in USA, but it is sandy stuff we pick up by the trailer load from the local quarry.) I have 9 cats. Several of them are ones the kids dumped here when they decided not to look after them anymore. Same with some of the dogs and horses! But I love each one: Sammy, Thomas, Tiffany, Ming, FunnyFace, Duchess, Prince William,Fatty and Mooneye Magic Tiger. Tiffany is a blue point Himalayan and Magic is a red cream chinchilla. They are the parents of Ming (a silver chinchilla) Funnyface and William. Ming is the mother of Duchess. I am a failed cat breeder as I found it too difficult to sell my beautiful babies. So I kept my favourites and got everybody fixed and I don't breed anymore, even though I had lots of people who wanted the silver chinchillas...

Marcelyn I am jealous! I have to buy all my own birthday and Christmas and anniversary presents, otherwise I would get nothing. On the flip side, usually they are warm furry things. LOL. My animals give me a lot of love and attention. Without them I know I would feel terribly lonely over here where I don't have any of my own family close. My friends have furr and hooves and feathers...yes, I don't eat chicken because my little flock are such lovely pets...but I do eat eggs. LOL

Welcome Wendybird! How did you end up in Thailand?

<3 Wendy

PS. My gym workout was just what I needed. Walking on air afterwards...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wendy, I have often looked at Mozart and wondered if he is really a medium hair or long hai cat. And en I look at yours and know mine is truly a medium hair and I am glad. It is hard enough grooming mine.mi can't imagine what it would be like to groom all your. But they are truly beautiful cats. Now your picture in your garden with the horse, flowers in your hair, etc. if you look carefully I a, sure here is a horb on that horse and he is truly a unicorn and you are in a magic garden and you are the fairy. Your other horse is equally as lovely.

Allie, so glad you are progressing in moving. You mentioned your reality lady.mcould she motion some people to hel you.mi would think a good realtor would want a happy sustomer form the sale all the way to the moving into. You are moving into somewhere I would want to be.mbut nwould have to have my cats.

Mary, two grand babies in one week! I hope they grow up to be good cousins together. I am sure we will enjoy being good grandmas to them.

Well my baby girl is back home with her bosses 'new' truck. As far as driving it,M the one she test drove in Florida was wonderful but had many issues. The one she drove home was heavy riding but so is riding around in a mine so his newest melodeon will get the roughest truck. This guy is his wife's nephew and I am sure he will be the hardest on him than any of the other guys. He wants a total of about 9 miners and he now has 3. Anyone know experience miners who would relocate to the West Virginsia area. Of course he has to purchase another mine. I am learning a lot from her experiences. I knew what an auger is from watching some of the shows on HGTV? But I guess an auger for a mine is a completely different animal!

Michelle isn't feeling well at all. She thinks it is because she had been a long term Tramodol use for her chronic back pain and is off of it for now because of the Narco and thinks she is having withdrawal from he Tramadol" so she just isn't happy at all. With e wonderful weather we having right now. Told her she needs to go outside on her porch swing and enjoy the day and sunshine. When she bought the house, this wonderful little blue painted brick screened in porch with a porch swing was such a selling point. Well her big dogs have torn the screens off the sides, paint is so rough in all places and it isn't a happy place. But as Wendy said, you can choos t be happy in an unhappy environment. I wish I could explain that to my husband.

That is exactly my philosophy. There is much unhappiness I the world today and not just with politics and the NFL and what ever else. Unhappiness within family situations. But I choose to be happy inspire of the environment. He says I don't see it. Yes I do and it saddens me greatly. But I a, still a happy person because I choose to be. He says he can't make that choice because the world has made the choice for him. That's a lot of control he has given away.

Janet, you go ahead and be 'imperfect' we love it!

Went to the funeral today. During the fellowship meal we had afterwards, one of e guys I was sitting with said he did the sound for another minister that pretty much wrote his own funeral just like this guy did. But this other guy not only wrote it, he spoke it. And when he was taping it at his own home, the church nearby had their hourly chimes going. So during this funeral, the pastor stops and Jack hits the play button and here come the voice of this dead minister speaking and beatific chimes going on. He even sang for his own funeral. This was a 20 minute addition he did for his own funeral. After the dinner, I asked my preacher if he felt any better but he said no because another member had just been transferred to ICU. A preachers job is never done

When Dad had his church in Gary Indiana, he had a rough time. There were drug dealers that actually talked to Dad, Mom's would call Dad and ask him to get their sons out a tavern when they were so drunk they couldn't drive. At one point, he was having FBI protection becaus of how Dad was working with some of the drug dealers. Dad was actually kicks out of his church there because of his relationship with some oth the guys he associated with. One of the drug addicts came to church one day and that was it for he members, we were out! Didn't want any sinners in the church, oh no! Luckily Dad was able to find a church in a small southern Illlinois town although Dad knew it was just a temporary job. He knew it was just to put food on the table since he was fired. I could write a book about my life as a preacher's kid. Mostly I enjoyed it. You get to meet a lot of different people and learn who to trust. You learn a lot of people who are even deacons or ministers are bad people. So you have to learn forgiveness

Joyce, Indiana
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Rye good luck, deep breaths, keep those ducks quacking!

busy, busy school days for me, filled with kids learning and growing, ah September, a month filled with promises and fresh determination!

Went to an afterwork social gathering, (proud of me) and handled conversations pretty well. I was blindsided when a retired colleague was there (hey nobody warned me ahead of time, if they had I probably wouldnot have been there). Let's just say we rarely met eye to eye and things ended badly between us....but armed with a glass of red wine I took the high road, made small talk for the appropriate length of time, geez I must be growing up ;) Anyway, i only had a glass of wine, no apps then went out with a great friend for sushi, dumplings and shrimp tempura, way over calories but I was counting blessings, not calories as I like to say sooooo today I am back on the wagon.

I'm looking forward to a clean slate of a new month to re-establish some goals towards a calm approach to life so I can handle the triggers that make me overeat at night!

Loving all the pics, babies, gardens, artistic endeavors and travels <3

NYKAREN
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Easing back to exercise
    30 min Leslie Sansone vid with handweights
    10 KB swings with 6kg KB
    10 Squats
    Walked up and down stairs 5 times carrying the KB (not sure who suggested carrying the bucket but great idea)

Kate UK <3
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

So I just did a disheartening thing – or maybe a motivating thing… I have not needed to dress up in at least 20 years… business casual has been enough; but I may need to wear something more “cocktail” dress for an event at Christmas, - not really my cup of tea – but I got in the back of my closet and pulled out the 2 things I have; the good thing they both are in fine shape and would be ok – the bad thing neither fits… one will take a good long bit of work, the other 5-10 lbs should do it. Which is doable in 2 months + BUT I’ve not been able to figure out how to up my exercise. The two things that stand in my way are money and time….. I live in a crazy expensive part of the country and a “cheap” gym just opened and it is only $55 a month plus $1k annual fee… Not so cheap. The closest Y with a gym is 55 min each way drive away (although free). So I really need to be able to do this on my own.

My legs and arms are in pretty good shape, but my core is in Plump shape - LOL

What I do now is walk the dog 2.5-3 miles a day and garden, I garden about 3 hours 5 days a week, but it is really random, some days are heavy lifting, others not much at all, today I trimmed lavender for 3 hours. Better than 3 hours on the couch but not as much of a burn as the day I moved 60 lb bricks for 3 hours. And on Wednesdays I take a 1 hour yoga class – I LOVE this but it is only offered one day a week at our senior center ($4 a class) everywhere else it is $20 a class…

I got (thanks Barbie!) the Strong Women Stay Young book, but got overwhelmed at how to figure out what weight weights to get and how to do it on a major financial shoestring… and being honest… I only read about 1/3 of the book and decided it was outside of my league from just a finance side. So any hints on how to figure out what weight weights you need? Or where to look for such a thing? I honestly have no idea where to buy weights… It’s all outside of my sphere of knowledge. And I am a big bit afraid I’ll hurt myself if I do try to any weight work, but it seems that it would be the least time commitment.

So I have about $50 saved for something - maybe weights are not the answer, any other suggestions?

Smiles

Kim from N. California

Kim, try kettlebells, very little financial investment and great workout. Plenty of utube videos and you only need about 10-20 minutes. Helped me tremendously. Ask Mary, formally from MN, she's the swinging queen. I have little money and time also.

Chris in MA who has been swinging