Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should your S.O./Spouse have a say so if they feel you are too thin or too large?

Options

Replies

• Disfatbidge
    Disfatbidge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well yeah. My size has impacted my partners life with me being tired and spending to much on food so he had every right to share his thoughts. A good partner will be there for you on the journey too!
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would hope that if I got to the point my weight was an issue that my husband would tell me. I know before he does when I gain or loose weight and I know what I am stuffing into my mouth, so it's not like it should come as a shock. It's not like a bad surprise and you suddenly wake up one morning having gained a substantial amount of weight! I would rather have him tell me if he's unhappy with my weight or appearance before it gets to be a bigger problem.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

And, of course, tact is your friend. "I noticed you're slipping a little on making sure you eat enough; do you want me to get more of your favorite snacks from the store?" or "Hey, you haven't been to the gym in a while; do you want me to push you harder to go?" is infinitely better than "You're getting fat - get off that couch and go do some laps or I'm leaving your lard butt."

Quoted for actual spit-take LOL
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with health than weight/looks. I am constantly pestering my wife to eat better. If she loses weight or gets "fitter," great. But I want her healthy.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How much discussion is too much depends on the couple, but for the general case, I say it depends on why they bring it up. If their main concern is aesthetic...well, it depends on what you want with regards to that, but if you want it to be a long-term relationship, it's a bad sign. What are they gonna do when you get old and saggy? You're not going to have a model body forever. That's just life.

But, if you're watching out for each other's health, that's not a bad thing to do. Looking out for each other is an important part of a functional relationship - and changes in weight can mean something that one should be on the lookout for. For example, my boyfriend and I keep an eye on each other's weight - he needs to maintain at the high end of the healthy range whenever possible because he has digestive system issues that have caused him to nearly starve to death over flares, so of course I'm going to be worried if he starts getting too thin, and I have an eating disorder that makes me through every possible disordered behavior in the book - if, for instance, I suddenly drop two pants sizes in one month and gain them both back the next, that's a sign that I'm really not in the best state so I'd hope he'd bring it up.

And, of course, tact is your friend. "I noticed you're slipping a little on making sure you eat enough; do you want me to get more of your favorite snacks from the store?" or "Hey, you haven't been to the gym in a while; do you want me to push you harder to go?" is infinitely better than "You're getting fat - get off that couch and go do some laps or I'm leaving your lard butt."

Nicely put and I totally agree. I think if it comes from a place a love you can't go wrong.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I'm more concerned with health than weight/looks. I am constantly pestering my wife to eat better. If she loses weight or gets "fitter," great. But I want her healthy.

@Calichusetts This is great. I wonder if she knows that you are coming from this perspective though?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm curious where people would land on this question when followed by another question "Do you believe that weight gain/loss is a result of your behavior?"

Also curious to see how this answer would change based upon where people are in their weight management plan. Is there a distinct change depending on how successful your loss has been? If you are starting out? If you've lost weight?

I would imagine those who believe weight is a result of genetics would also believe that a spouse should have no say so on how you look. I would also imagine that those who understand that weight is a result of behavior and have been successful would not have as much of an issue with this.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I think the conversation is OK if it's in a good place, and for every couple that good place probably looks a little different. For my wife and I, we both come from families with a history of obesity, heart issues, and diabetes, so I think maintaining a healthy weight is something we should and do feel comfortable talking about.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My husband can say whatever he likes about my weight. At this point, I don't really care anymore.

Meaning?? That you're happy to accept the comments because he's your husband? Or that you'll do whatever you wish, despite anything he has to say?
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My young diabetic husband doesn't even listen to his doctor in regards to weight loss advice so me getting on his "kitten" about it really won't do anything but make me angry. At the end of the day, I can't change anyone. Change must come from within. I can only continue to love him for the amazing man he has always been regardless of his weight because it has nothing to do with me. It sounds harsh and heartless but it's true.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to bring it up in a loving and respectful way, especially if your concerned about their health. An even better way would be to just ask if they're open to eating healthy and exercising with you. Personally, my husband brought it up in a very harsh way by telling me I disgust him and doing mean passive aggressive stuff to punish me for letting myself go. It *kitten* me up mentally but did motivate me to change. Now he's on board with my healthy lifestyle and I train him in his workouts and we meal prep together. We have a much better relationship since I changed <3
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I think yes. As long as it's respectful.
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'm curious where people would land on this question when followed by another question "Do you believe that weight gain/loss is a result of your behavior?"

Also curious to see how this answer would change based upon where people are in their weight management plan. Is there a distinct change depending on how successful your loss has been? If you are starting out? If you've lost weight?

I would imagine those who believe weight is a result of genetics would also believe that a spouse should have no say so on how you look. I would also imagine that those who understand that weight is a result of behavior and have been successful would not have as much of an issue with this.

@CSARdiver - This are all good legit questions. Knowing what I know now I would have blamed my weight issues on other things beyond myself. But now, they are just excuses.

Now that I go to the gym routinely, I see the same people in there. The people that I claimed had good genetics at first....but they are actually working for "it" everyday!
  • Eden_Goldie
    Eden_Goldie Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    One million percent, especially if persistently asked whether you are or how you look...and if you already know the answer then don't be offended when they tell you the truth. As long as they support you then their opinion (within reason) should be accepted as help.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Yes. Our prenap says if he gets under 200lbs, Im asking for a divorce
  • Eden_Goldie
    Eden_Goldie Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @Ironandwine69 One would hope you're not from the UK as prenups are pretty much useless here, and one about weight wouldn't stand up in court as a reason for divorce. I'm not sure what weight has to do with a prenup anyway, as they protect a person's assets not the reason for filing for divorce. Anyway, I'd like to think you wouldn't immediately jump to divorce and rather work through the issue.