WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I need to run home, but wanted to check in first.

Re: breast cancer -- my dad, yes my dad, was a breast cancer survivor. He went ahead and had gene testing done and he carried the gene. Wonderful. :scream: My mother wanted me to get tested too, but I prefer not to know. Instead, I get a mammogram every year -- a couple times I've also had ultrasounds done. So far, everything's great.

My mom has LTC insurance. They wouldn't sell it to my dad. Ironic because there was never any chance of him needing it, and my mom is planning to live to be 100!

Gotta run.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    We live in the woods so we do so we do see deer . They are so beautiful except when they ate all the hostas I planted.

Allie, good news about jury duty.

Becca, you got some really good food. Well done. Not washing your hair?? What's that about??

Beth, I was so thrilled to read that the babies are doing better. I was worried for them. I also thought that giving them cereal was bit early.

Joyce, so glad they found the polops. My DH goes every 3 years and they usually find at least 1 every time he goes.

Eating was off today. Ate more calories than I should have. Got to do better tomorrow. I think I'm a little depressed and trying to ignore it. It's always better if I don't fight it and just go with it. When I do that it doesn't seem to last as long. So I'm just going to keep to myself tomorrow and focus on eating good.

Calling it an early night. Sweet dreams ladies.

Terry

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies.

It was a tough afternoon for me. My favorite coworker told me this afternoon that he found another job. My emotions must have been written all over my face because he told me not to cry. He is a wonderful young family man of 40 and I call him my "work son". I will miss him terribly, we work very closely together in fact sharing a cubicle. Although I am so happy for him I am selfishly wishing he would stay because with him leaving they will probably have me on call 2 weeks of the month without pay instead of 1 and working 2 weekends a month instead of 1. That will amount to over 1100 hours per year that I will work and not get paid for. I am so upset. I came home and worked the elliptical HARD.

Say prayers that I find a new job soon, I am making less money than when I started and cannot meet my financial obligations, this week the mortgage was due and I had no money for groceries. This is what is keeping me up nights. A part time job to supplement my income is not feasible because of these on call hours. I have cut back expenses in every conceivable way. I dread the cold weather because I have no idea where I will get the money for oil. We did not put the air conditioners in the bedrooms this summer because I couldn't afford the added electric expense. I have not shared any of my troubles before, but it is helping to just let it out.

Love and hugs to everyone.

Chris in MA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    (((((Chris))))) I am so sorry. Prayers for a new job soon.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.35min, 142mhr, 11.9amph. 1.4mi= 77c
    apple watch- 66c
    *new* ski machine- 45min, 122ahr, 89spm, 111aw, 144mhr, 18k = 355c
    apple watch- 358c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.01min, 14.7amph, 124mhr, 1.4mi= 63c
    appple watch- 44c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 15.07min, 149mhr, 12.1amph, 3mi= 152c
    apple watch- 116c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.41min, 153mhr, 9.08min mi, .5mi= 68c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wk 2 sta- i5min est, 9.23min mi, 153mhr, .5mi = 63c
    apple watch- 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 26.10min, 6.6amph, 142mhr, 2.8mi = 210c
    apple watch- 149c

total cal 988
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    OK Becca's going nuts again! I am trying the no shampoo thing, because well, I'm just nuts. So the last time I shampooed my hair was on the 2nd, so this is day 9! Bought some hair wraps to sleep in so I don't have my hair in a ponytail at night, which can give me a headache sometimes. Bought some brightly colored clips, so at least I'm colorful as my hair starts looking interesting! My plan is to at least go a month. Evaluate it and continue on!

Why?

Personally, I wash my hair each day Monday - Friday and then usually leave it for the weekend, but by Monday, I need to wash it again. However, I also do a lot of exercise on the weekends, and much of that exercise involves wearing a bicycle helmet, so by Monday morning my hair is not nice at all.

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    Chris - so sorry for your situation! I hope you are able to find a better job soon!

Beth - So glad the babies are both doing well!

Becca - I too ask why to no shampooing?

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Options
    ... they will probably have me on call 2 weeks of the month without pay instead of 1 and working 2 weekends a month instead of 1. That will amount to over 1100 hours per year that I will work and not get paid for.

Why on earth aren't you getting paid for work?

Can you place a report with your Fair Work Tribunal/Commission?
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    p.s. how do you load a picture here without it being just a document that you have to open?

Terry

Do you have an account with a site like Flickr?

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »

Incidentally, for something sweet in the evening, I drink a rooibos-chai tea. That tea is quite sweet with no sweeteners added.

My go to sweet drink that has no sugar or sweetener is Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea. Again, tea only in the herbal hot drink sense. A lot of people do not like the fennel/anise/licorice taste so obviously not for them. But if you like that taste, you might be amazed that this drink is so sweet yet no sugar or sweetners are in it!

I’ll have to try your suggestion, Machka . The hot sweet drink is one of my tricks to curb late night munchies and it would be nice to have options! :)

I get this one most often:
    http://www.tetley.com.au/our-teas/products?id=27&priority=4
    150115084708-maincinnamon_and_orange_large.jpg

Twinings also has something similar, and I've got a different kind at work.

But I think of them all, the tetley one is my favourite.

I didn't used to be a tea drinker because I find actual tea too bitter. But when I started with MFP, and one other time I was tracking calories, I found that drinking tea in the evenings helped keep me from "mindless snacking", so I decided to try different "teas" and see if there were better choices.

As mentioned, I do the rooibos most often, but I have lemon-ginger any time my stomach feels a bit upset.

I went through a few really bad months with hot flashes, and I not only go absolutely dripping, I also get nauseated and dizzy with them ... the lemon-ginger tea was a big help. Although there were a few times when I had to take ginger tablets as well.

I have two flavours of chamomile tea for late in the evening as well, and I think it relaxes me.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather and Machka: I like the food scale very much, but also like dishers for soft foods such as cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream and mashed potatoes. These are commonly used in restaurants to standardize portion sizes. I have three, 1/2 cup, !/3 cup, & 1/4 cup. :smiley:

I weigh all of those as well. In fact, it is such a habit, when I visited my parents and went to dish out some yogurt, I just stood there in the kitchen for a moment wondering what on earth to do because there was no scale!! Yes, it only took a moment to figure it out ... just put the stuff into the bowl. :grin:

But normally, I pop the bowl on the scale, tare it, then scoop in 100 grams (or whatever) of whatever it is ... cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc. :)

M in Oz

• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    ... they will probably have me on call 2 weeks of the month without pay instead of 1 and working 2 weekends a month instead of 1. That will amount to over 1100 hours per year that I will work and not get paid for.

Why on earth aren't you getting paid for work?

Can you place a report with your Fair Work Tribunal/Commission?
    I spoke to the fair labor board in my state about the situation, I can file a complaint but they strongly suggested I wait until I no longer work there because of retribution.

Chris in MA
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Shoot-A-Monkey - Lost my post! Oh well!

Lenora
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters, I've been making queens this morning after starting the morning with 30 minutes of sprint repeats with Jock,and now I'm at the office but heading out to walk with Major and listen to audio books soon. However, just wanted to share with you all what I've been reading on the net about the role that hormones play in weight gain. I think this is really relevant to us who are at the whacky hormone age. I found this on the website https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/hormone-reset-diet

From the book The Hormone Reset Diet: Balance your Hormones and Lose up to 15 pounds in just 3 weeks! by Sara Gottfried. Copyright © 2015 by Sara Gottfried. Reprinted by permission of HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.

Here's a mind-bender: Being overweight often has nothing to do with calories or exercise. For a huge number of us, the problem is instead about misfiring hormones. Research is still catching up with this paradigm shift, which has yet to be comprehensively studied. But seeing how this revelation has helped my patients (and me) slim down and feel better gives me confidence that it's true for most women who are trying to lose weight and can't. (In as little as 30 days, you can be a whole lot slimmer, way more energetic, and so much healthier just by following the simple, groundbreaking plan in The Thyroid Cure!) You already know about some weight-affecting hormone issues, like thyroid and insulin imbalances. But other, more subtle ones could also be keeping you from...

There is a lot more on this page that goes into the subject deeper. I read about this all the time and more and more information is coming to light. I know there is a lot of conflicting information as well. It can be confusing. But I am definitely trying to work with my hormones especially at this age in my life. <3 Wendy
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Marcelyn, it sounds like a good idea to not be running in the dark right now.

MicheleNC, I know what you mean about getting tired of listening to FOX. Then he has to tell me what they said when I already heard it 5 times. Lol

Heather, no I haven’t been doing the modified push-ups lately but thanks so much for the reminder. For those that are newer, I used to do 10 at a time and usually 100 a day. I didn’t do anything as good as Heather and was doing them from the kitchen counter at first. Then I did keep moving to lower furniture but never the floor. I will start again tomorrow. Thanks so much because I need a nudge.

Meg, the hotel I’ll be staying at has a kitchenette in each room so we take food for breakfasts and lunches. That way we can control what we eat a bit easier. Today I made chicken salad I can eat over a bed of Romaine and the brownie/bran muffins that I eat every day for breakfast.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

The temperature her is still in the high 80’s but the real problem is the excessive humidity. We are expecting a cold front this weekend to lower the humidity. Yeah! If it’s nice enough tomorrow and Friday afternoons we will go to the beach for a while. We leave tomorrow at noon and I haven’t started packing. It will have to wait until in the morning because my bed is calling me. Good night m friends.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    469367makfzcur9b.gif Stats for today:
    *16,000 steps
    *173 minutes walking Sasha and Bessie
    *120 minutes riding the exercise bike
    * line dance class
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Had our general meeting at another location. Boy, was I constantly running up and down between the porch of the governor's house and the pavilion getting water, running back up to be sure there are enough snacks, running down to get the lunches ready (they were catered). But it's over. Had to get up at 5 in order to exercise, then we left around 8, another gal and I.

Rye - I got my CPR certification a few months ago. It's always something good to have. For all the years I've had it, thank goodness I've never had to use it.

I'm dead tired so just skimming.

pip - Kirby sure is something else

Took some of those Lofthouse mini iced sugar cookies to the meeting and had to bring some home. Well, I found out the thing that is a real downfall for me. Tomorrow they go to the soup kitchen! Can't have them in the house at all.

Chris in MA - (((HUGS))) Good thoughts for finding a job soon

Michele In NC
    who is off to bed
  • Artemis2121
    Artemis2121 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I followed my daughters onto MFP, and have been here, and reading this thread about 3 yrs. I learned why I went up 2 trouser sizes in as many years, when I started logging here. I aimed for a 20lb loss, lost 30, regained 10, lost 4.

This thread is one of my favorites. I love to see the support offered when folks share the ups and downs of their lives, their experiences, adventures and strategies. I'm usually way behind reading posts, so I don't add much.

I did think I found a new strategy, but it backfired. I was playing phone puzzles of desserts. I figured I could ogle each morsel and gain -0- lbs. By day 3 I was obsessed with finding and eating, any luscious dessert. Dunkin Donuts was crowded, so I managed to come home empty and switched to kitten puzzles.

Linda NJ
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    So here's the plan. To not wash my hair, therefore slowing down my oil production. Hey people have only started shampooing their hair with shampoo since the 1930's. Before then it was washed with the same soap you did your body with. So by brushing the oils from your scalp to the ends of your hair you keep the oil at bay, plus your ends get fuller. I have watched videos of people that have been doing this for years. Their hair looked really great! I will be rinsing it with water now and then. It also is important to know if you have hard or soft water. That affects the sebum (oils) on your scalp. So that's the why of it.. Lol.
    Becca