October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I find out once and for all today if Samsung will replace my watch. If not, I gave hubby a list of my top 3 Garmin choices in a variety of price points since my birthday is on Tuesday.

I am kind of thinking that we should be hoping for Samsung to NOT repair it here... :)

Part of me is, yes. I would never recommend a Samsung device of any sort after my experience with them, but I also wasn't looking to spend another $300++++ on a new watch. We are due to get new phones soon, also, so I now I don't feel locked in to getting a Samsung for the optimal compatibility of also having the Samsung watch.

It's a shame a company cares so little about customer service. My family as a looooot of Samsung devices.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have not yet had to deal with Garmin's customer service even though I have had their GPSs in my cars for over a decade. So I guess that speaks for itself.

But yeah, these toys are NOT cheap. :disappointed:

take up running they said. It’s a cheap sport, you can just throw on so shoes and go they said....

Ah yes, I think we've all fallen for that one. My husband is convinced my running gear and accessories are more expensive than his golf gear.
  • LC0924
    LC0924 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom thank you so much! I just made a to-buy-before-snow list... and now I will echo @girlinahat and say that "they" said this would be cheap.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I find out once and for all today if Samsung will replace my watch. If not, I gave hubby a list of my top 3 Garmin choices in a variety of price points since my birthday is on Tuesday.

I am kind of thinking that we should be hoping for Samsung to NOT repair it here... :)

Part of me is, yes. I would never recommend a Samsung device of any sort after my experience with them, but I also wasn't looking to spend another $300++++ on a new watch. We are due to get new phones soon, also, so I now I don't feel locked in to getting a Samsung for the optimal compatibility of also having the Samsung watch.

It's a shame a company cares so little about customer service. My family as a looooot of Samsung devices.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have not yet had to deal with Garmin's customer service even though I have had their GPSs in my cars for over a decade. So I guess that speaks for itself.

take up running they said. It’s a cheap sport, you can just throw on so shoes and go they said....

Ah yes, I think we've all fallen for that one. My husband is convinced my running gear and accessories are more expensive than his golf gear.

My friend offered to pick up our race packets at Fleet Feet I was like OMG thank you that store costs me at least $200 every time I walk though the door. I have to admit though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't go. :disappointed:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

My friend offered to pick up our race packets at Fleet Feet I was like OMG thank you that store costs me at least $200 every time I walk though the door. I have to admit though I'm a bit disappointed that I can't go. :disappointed:

My nearest Fleet Feet is about 90 miles away, which is probably a good thing. I'm picking up a race packet tonight, but luckily for my wallet, it's at the local pizzeria rather than a running store.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I know I am going to have a hard time explaining when I need multiple pairs of shoes. Fortunately, because I have wider feet, my options are more limited so it's harder to get sucked in by pretty shoes that I know won't ever really fit me.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I don't know about all marathon runners birthday edge, but I know the hottest runners were born in August...just sayin'

@skippygirlsmom Darn right!!!

I am so supprised that NO ONE has claimed that August birthday. Who are these "Hotties"?

Ummmm....HELLO!!!! Best birthday month Ever! Plus, I turned 42 this year(Aug 15th) so I am the Hottest answer to the universe.

Typical Leo.

Ah that's just wrong @fitoverfortymom ha ha
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I don't know about all marathon runners birthday edge, but I know the hottest runners were born in August...just sayin'

@skippygirlsmom Darn right!!!

I am so supprised that NO ONE has claimed that August birthday. Who are these "Hotties"?

Ummmm....HELLO!!!! Best birthday month Ever! Plus, I turned 42 this year(Aug 15th) so I am the Hottest answer to the universe.

Typical Leo.

@fitoverfortymom YEP!!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My latest purchase for winter running when it gets REALLY cold, golf mittens:

https://www.amazon.com/ProActive-Sports-Winter-Pull-Up/dp/B0049RPD2U

I'll wear these over my running gloves. I should be able to regulate the temperature of my hands pretty well in these. I love that my thumbs won't have to be all by themselves, getting lonely.

I also bought another pair of wind briefs. All men who run in cold weather should have these. I learned the hard way what happens if you don't have these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU891J6/

Ok winter, bring it on!!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'll jump on the birthday bandwagon... I'm in the slow April group as well, but I'm a Taurus, so nobody better get in my way!! :wink:

My last couple of runs I have picked up the pace a little bit, yesterday, somewhat by mistake as the 1st mile was a pretty good decline, but when it leveled out I realized I was still going about the same pace, so just kept it up for the full 6 miles. Today, I took a similar route with the plan to stay at that pace for the 7 miles and was able to do so for the most part... there was 1 mile that was a pretty good incline that slowed me up a bit, but overall felt good. I know it is better to train slower and I try to use my HR as an indicator with the goal to have my average under 150 and closer to the low 140's, so with that as a gauge, my runs have pretty much been in line with that except the races and today's run.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I'll wear these over my running gloves. I should be able to regulate the temperature of my hands pretty well in these. I love that my thumbs won't have to be all by themselves, getting lonely.

I also bought another pair of wind briefs. All men who run in cold weather should have these. I learned the hard way what happens if you don't have these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU891J6/

Ok winter, bring it on!!

Those pull-up mittens look cool. I was a little disappointed in my running gloves I purchased in that they were really only good to about freezing, so tried my normal winter gloves for some of the colder runs, but then they get all sweaty and gross. Those look like a good option.

The wind briefs... so do you not wear base layer or something similar? I wear normal dri-fit boxers and with my base layer and joggers over the top, I was warm enough for sub zero temps without an issue.
  • 7lenny7
    edited October 2017
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »
    The wind briefs... so do you not wear base layer or something similar? I wear normal dri-fit boxers and with my base layer and joggers over the top, I was warm enough for sub zero temps without an issue.

It's not a matter of overall warmth as much as a matter of keeping the wind off my junk in sub zero temps on windy days. I keep plenty warm in the winter without the wind briefs. My legs and glutes are doing lots of work, creating a lot of heat. Other, more vulnerable parts, however, aren't doing anything and they have no layer of fat to insulate them.

From 35F and below I wear a pair of wicking boxer-briefs with a pair of running tights and that's it. If I were to wear pants or joggers over that, I'd sweat my butt off, then my perspiration would cause me to start getting cold. Sweat and subzero temps are not a good combo if you're out a long time.

When the wind kicks up and the wind chill plunges, I still need want my outfit to breath to get rid of perspiration, so I only want to block the wind from the important bits. Taking a shower with chafed nipples hurts but taking a shower with overly chilled private parts is a whole new experience in pain. I made that mistake once.

I see you're in Gardner. I used to live in OP, Lawrence, and Shawnee so I know the weather in that area. I wouldn't bother with wind briefs if I still lived down there.

I'll be in your neighborhood next weekend, visiting my daughter at KU. If I get out of Lawrence early enough on Sunday I plan on running the 10 mile trail around Wyandotte County Lake.

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @7lenny7 I love your posts "bits" "junk" "parts" I'm dying here. I also like to put mittens over my running gloves it keeps my hands warmer without all the sweat.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

What running gloves are you using under them? I assume you have to get the large to fit them over gloves?
  • 7lenny7
    Options

What running gloves are you using under them? I assume you have to get the large to fit them over gloves?

@PastorVincent I have three pair of gloves I use of different weight, but the ones I use most of the time are the cheap, thin, touch-screen compatible gloves that Costco sells. Great gloves for running, and most of the time they are warm enough by themselves but some days I need something warmer.

One thing I don't like about wearing mittens, as @rusgolden mentioned about regular gloves, is that they get sweaty and gross. With these, it looks like I can flip them open from time to time as needed for ventilation.

The reviews indicate that they're sized big. I normally wear XL or even XXL gloves and I'm trying the L golf mitts. These will only be used for running so I'm not too concerned about size since I run with my hand in a loose fist anyway.

The two KEY features about these mitts which appeal to me is first, that there is no separate place for your thumb. You're basically putting bags over your hands. This keeps your thumb warmer.

Second, there's a slit across the finger area to allow you to put your hand through the slit and push the mitts up your arm while you take your shot in golf, as shown in the second photo. In my case it could be using my phone, tying my shoes, or just cooling off my hands. Temperature regulation is key in the winter and this allows that. that slit also allows me to use them to keep my wrists warm. With my long arms that's another area which can get to cold when the temperature plummets.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/17 :::: 13.1 :::: 13.1
    10/02/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/03/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/05/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/09/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/10/17 :::: 1.7 :::: 14.8
    10/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 14.8
    10/12/17 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.2
    10/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    10/14/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 20.5
    10/15/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.5
    10/16/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.5
    10/17/17 :::: 5.3 :::: 25.8
    10/18/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.8
    10/19/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 28.6
    10/20/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.6
    10/21/17 :::: 6.2 :::: 34.7
    10/22/17 :::: 5.4 :::: 40.2
    10/23/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 40.2
    10/24/17 :::: 6.0 :::: 46.2
    10/25/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 49.3
    10/26/17 :::: 2.3 :::: 51.6

Another attempt to run with the dog this morning. About the same amount of success, but at least got the run in and the dog tired out a bit, given that I was later getting home from work and no time for extra walks today. Nice cool weather, too!

I'm not optimistic about getting many miles in over the next few days, unfortunately. Hoping I'm wrong about that. I did sign up for a Halloween 5k on Sunday, but not sure it will work out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.00
    3---3.44
    6---3.46
    7---6.23
    10---2.54
    11---4.03
    12---13 IBS
    14---3.12 AiM for the Cure
    14---3.46
    15-17---sprained ankle
    18---bike
    19--- 4.14
    21---3.80 walk
    22---5.0 walk
    24---3.47
    26---3.46

51.15/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/14 5miles 48m:31s
    10/15 rest
    10/16 5.8miles 55m:37s
    10/17 7miles 64m:13s
    10/18 9miles 1h:20m:51s
    10/19 5miles 46m:17s
    10/20 12miles 1h:51m:25s
    10/21 5miles 48m
    10/22 rest
    10/23 6.6miles 1h:01m:37s
    10/24 5miles 50m:35s
    10/25 7miles 1h:07m:32s
    10/26 4miles 38m:44s

4 slow miles on the treadmill this morning. Tomorrow I’m on deck for 14 miles. A distance PR! I hope I can finish.

Having car trouble, well I’m hearing a weird noise when I accelerate. Kind of like a clunking under the car, but only during acceleration between 20-40mph. Not at any other time and not every time. I’m scared to take it in being female and getting totally fleeced by the auto shop. Sigh. I try not to stress about it, but it’s really hard not to.