Serial Starters

Options

Replies

• tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Pants update, I can at least get the pants on - weather forecast in paper is 10 degrees warmer than the one online and I just bit the bullet and tried them on.

Success! Definitely a NSV. C-boys will stop by to do a happy dance in your honor. :smile:
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    Lana - Greece sounds awesome! I’ve never been. Look forward to hearing about the plans as they unfold over the next several months.

Annie - good luck on the listing! My fingers are crossed for you that you will sell your house quickly so you can move into the one you found.

Missy! Welcome back. I well know how life can get busy and it’s hard to keep up here. No guilt - just glad to hear from you.

AOTW - it’s going to be stressful at work with not much time at night for going to the gym. So my goal is to keep my calories under control and get as much non-gym exercise in as I can.

Good night all - Happy Monday.

Tess
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    reread should be Annie great job on getting interest on your house - so quickly. One thing when it comes out of my mouth wrong but really bad when I write it wrong and dont catch it :s
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey again! I've been bad about checking in here...at least I've mostly been staying on track with the whole health thing though.

Had my first obstacle course race yesterday and it was amazing. I cannot wait to do it again - my next one is in only 13 days but man, that feels like forever. It was some of the most fun I've ever had. I got a...moderately bad injury on the course (hyperextended my knee jumping into a trough that I thought was mostly full of water, but it was actually more mud than water so my foot hit a lot more resistance than I expected and down I went), but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from finishing. I barely felt a thing during the race, it hurt like nobody's business afterward, but now today it only hurts if I put too much pressure on it in a direction that knees aren't supposed to have much flexibility anyway.

Haven't been eating great over the past few days, but that's largely as a result of trying to get rid of stuff I can't eat as of tomorrow (I'm starting a 6-week program featuring a nutrition plan that is extremely limited in the number of ingredients I'm allowed to use) without throwing it away. The program is going to work out to be free for me (because I intend to follow the instructions to the letter). It runs on a model kind of like DietBet - you get intensive coaching instead of more money back, but the premise is the same in that the people who give up pay for the majority of the running costs, while the people who follow through get full refunds. I'm happy that this model is catching on; I've been thinking it should be A Thing for years - I've always thought that if I were to open a gym (not likely, but it's one of the many things I kinda, sorta want to do with my life), you'd get a discount on your membership for every time you checked in. If someone beats me to that...I won't be disappointed at all.

Here's something I had to say anyway but it kinda leads into an answer to the QOTW: ...it's starting to hit me like a load of bricks just how social this all can and should be, and it may sound ironic but that's actually part of why I've been so bad about checking in - because, well, I know you all are real people, but it just doesn't feel the same as being able to see people face to face. It really hit hard yesterday when I realized just how nice it felt to be out there talking to other people, in person, who were out there for the same reasons I was. Hell, I got help from a friendly stranger when my pants got stuck on one of the walls I had to climb over - that...can't really happen online. That's my problem, I have so many fitness buddies here on MFP, but almost none out in meatspace - most of the people I'm closest to who I can see face-to-face have no interest in this kind of stuff. Ever since the race yesterday, I've been wanting to start or join a group to regularly team up at races like this...but I hardly know where to start. My boyfriend is the closest I've got to a fitness buddy (he helps make sure I eat healthy, we have plans to do a few events together, all that) but he's only one person, he's got a lot of work to do before he's up to running alongside me when I'm going for speed (if that's even possible for him), and he's never going to want to do any of these obstacle courses with me; he hates getting dirtier than necessary.

So, my answer to the question is, I'm trying to lessen the impact of this problem now, by means of Facebook, being more talkative during group assignments in my stress management class at school, that kind of stuff. I have been wanting to use Facebook to do that for a while, but the problem is, I'm not the only person in my Facebook circle of friends and family who's struggling to beat an eating disorder - I am, however, the only one in this subgroup who will see more benefit than harm from continuing to try to lose weight. I didn't want to risk accidentally pushing anyone to relapse...so what I did instead was, I made a secondary account (under an alias juuust so none of those friends run into it by accident), and I'm starting to use that for fitness networking. It's...not going great so far, but I haven't exactly been at it for long.

Hopefully I'll be more able to keep up with checking in as I make progress on this.

Sara: Congratulations on the pants! That...sounded weird out of context, but still, my point remains. Excellent NSV!

Lana: A trip to Greece sounds amazing - I'm jealous! I hope you have a lot of fun!
  • tlsb2016
    Options
    Mango, welcome back! Congratulations on the obstacle course race - sounds like a lot of fun - and the new diet plan.

Until you mentioned also needing fitness buddies in real life, I hadn’t thought about that aspect of support. I have a friend who is at the same stage of weight loss and fitness that I am, so it’s helpful and fun to be able to share with her. In reading your note, I realized how helpful it is to me to have a combination of support - this forum and people I can see!

Happy Monday all! BBL.

Tess
  • brendajfg
    brendajfg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that real life fitness buddies are very hard to come by. The reasons that can't hit the gym or come to yoga are innumerable. Unfortunately online people seem a bit more reliable in showing up regularly. I'll take the support where I can get it.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MONDAY

Good morning, scale up .8 and not the worst I have seen in the past week.

Looking forward to the time change as dog will want longer walks.

Mango - in face support groups is what makes WW so successful, but finding a meeting is often difficult. Glad you are able to find another level of support. Excellent job with the obstacle course. Every step you take forwards is towards a better you. Keep going.

Lana - our dept has 2 empty cubicles that are "available". One is in a dark area and one is between 2 chatterboxes.....yes I did just roll my eyes.

Need to fiddle/diddle with breakfast and lunch.

Wave to all who follow.
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Monday

Trying to put my head on straight and telling myself to eat right and get some exercise this week. I just can't afford to gain any more weight over the holidays so at least maintaining is my goal. If I can lose weight, that would be great.

Sara - you always have such a good attitude! Keep it up!

Lana - how are you feeling?

House is ready for the showing this afternoon. I'll have to run home and get the cats/dog out of the house and keep them in our Mountaineer until after the showing. Then I'll work late to make up some time. My hubby said the sign is going up in the yard as we speak. That means all our neighbors will know! And the worst part is it makes me mad to think that the stupid drug-dealers across the street will probably do a "happy dance" to know that we are trying to leave. It feels like they are "winning" but I have to keep telling myself we are doing what is best for our family and to he!@ with them!

Work is very busy today. Will lurk from work.

Annie
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sign me up for hot toddies... please! Hehe
  • hickchic67
    hickchic67 Posts: 802 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Its cold, gray, and rainy here today. I feel chilled to the bone. I need to whip up another cup of chai (with cashew milk and stevia).

Weekend in West Virginia was great. It was chilly in the mornings and warmed up for the afternoons. It was great Jeeping weather! We spent 2 days on the trails. I feel like I have been rolled downhill in a 50 gallon drum, but it was worth it!

Coming back to work on such a dreary Monday was so hard to do. :/

I wasn't able to really make many choices while Jeeping. They had catered meals so I ate what I was served. Was not able to log anything over weekend because there was no cell signal or wifi up in the mountains.

The scales weren't so nice this morning. I haven't weighed this much in almost a year. Had to pull a few things out of the closet that I wasn't wearing because they were too big. :(

I am slowly trying to swing back into habit of logging and am also trying to fit some extra exercise in here and there. I figure if I can do 10 minutes of treadmill, or bike, or whatever in the gym at least 3 times a day, that is 30 minutes a day that I wasn't doing before!

a quick update: my daughter was able to actually locate a couple items that were stolen from her storage unit at a local flea market. She had photos of the items and could describe the contents of boxes the vendor had. Detectives questioned the vendor and the vendor actually gave her some items back but denied any wrongdoing. There were several storage units hit last week. So someone out there is making a living by doing this, not just a one time thing.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Kathryn
    That's crazy and amazing! Sad.

Waving to everyone else.
    I've been in the bathroom for HOURS today. This illness needs to get lost!

Lana

• Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    Good evening,

Kathryn, glad your DD got some of her things back and helped the police.

Lana - I hope you are feeling better. At what point do you consult a dr?

Can I have one of those hot toddies too, Missy??

My Supervisor understood my desire to move cubicles, but even the empty ones are spoken for. She said to hold tight and when another cubicle opens she will see if I can have it. So that is a relief.

Finished knitting a grey chemo therapy hat and will start a blue/green one. These knit quickly.

Will gift my Spiralizer cookbook to coworker - the recipes are good even without a Spiralizer. If I dont use things why keep them?

Wishing all a good night.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

Good morning All~~

Things seem to have improved with the flu. My sister googled around, and she suspects I caught the Pennsylvania Flu. Cracks me up! I didn't look it up, but you know, it sounds funny to me. Pennsylvania Polka? Pennsylvania Flu?

Sara - I haven't been to my regular doctor since way before the whole breast cancer trip, so I held off calling. I know him, and he's an old fart country doctor type and would probably just say do the BRAT diet.
    Seriously though, since I got this flu, I knew I'd go to Sloan's Urgent Care if things got too bad for too long.
    I am disappointed for you that you could not get one of those other cubicles. I hope something happens soon for the better.

Waving to all who stop by later on~~

Lana

scale showed a number I have not seen in a while, but I know that it's just from being sick.... darn it. :open_mouth:
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Tuesday

Happy Halloween! My kids are dressing as a Storm Trooper and Aladdin's Magic Carpet tonight! :)

Lana - I am glad you are feeling better!

Sara - Sorry you can't move cubbies yet. Hopefully soon!

Well, we just got feedback from our evening showing yesterday. They aren't planning to make an offer. :( They liked the interior of the house and thought the house was priced "just right". They thought the backyard would be bigger and they didn't like how the driveway was situated (which is clearly showing in the online pictures - so why they didn't notice that sooner?)

I know you can't expect to get an offer from the first two showings. No bidding war today! :) LOL

We haven't had any feedback from the first showing. And we do have another showing scheduled for Friday afternoon. Hoping we maybe get some more interest this week. It's so nerve-wracking.

I think I'll go say another prayer to St. Joseph. He is buried in our front yard next to the "for sale" sign. :)

Annie
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Lana - hope you are doing better, today...I'm hoping, this is all I get for the season....I did not like it, not one little bit... it's still lingering... ugh
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    This isn't your first rodeo with losing weight is it? That's fine, this group is full of people who have been around more than once, the difference is we're committing to ourselves to make this our last journey with losing weight.

Anyone can stop in ask questions, answer questions, or just check in. We are here to support each other, encourage each other, and help each other out on this journey.

We are a group from Weight Watchers who wants to continue this thread, but as Weight Watchers is deleting their boards, we are starting here.

@Tilliesmommy1 I was a Serial Starter until Oct 2014 when I saw all my ways of dieting were just leading my premature death and I was only 63 at the time ane and the kids had just turned 16. Three years later I am down by another 40 pounds and have maintained for about two years now. Within 30 days after I cut out added sugar and all forms of all grains my binge eating resolved automatically somehow letting me eat all I want with no measuring or counting. My first goal was arthritis pain management and that started in the first 30 days as well. Over the years my general health and specific blood markers continue to improve.

I had learned it was easy to lose weight but until I found a way of stopping my spells of binge eating I always had 100%+ regains. I hope everyone finds a Way Of Eating that works for you since we all can be different in that department.
  • hickchic67
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lana - hope things are improving and you're feeling better. a trip to Greece sounds wonderful. i got a summer in Greece as a college graduation present. absolutely loved it. always wanted to take my kids there but no time, money, or luck in getting that accomplished.

Dawn - same for you. get to feeling better! did the hot toddies help? ;)

Are there any "teledocs" in either of your areas, Dawn/Lana? Its very convenient when your are sick and cant/dont want to go out.

Annie - best of luck on the house deal. you are only the third person i have ever heard burying St Joseph. cant for the life of me even remember which way he is supposed to be facing.
    Is your son supposed to be Aladdin on his magic carpet or he is just the magic carpet itself?

Sara - bummer on cubicle but hopefully this will lead to a better location later. you knit pretty fast, dont you?

Actually got in 1.5 miles on treadmill yesterday. Today having issue with hip hurting. Hoping it was just the way I slept on it or something that will go away quickly. Have been getting up and at least walking up and down hall a few times each hour to keep from getting stiff & sore.

Got a few more assignments at work. Makes me feel better doing more stuff (at least on the slow days - not so much on the already too busy days)

DH took dog to DS & DIL house to work on remodeling their kitchen. Had Callahan, our black lab, wearing a harness and on a chain outside while they worked. Somehow Callahan managed to get out of the harness, run around the house a few times, then sit by french doors and give them puppy dog eyes for not letting him be in the middle of everything. He is a Houdini when it comes to tying, crating, or kenneling him. The harness we got for him was one that dogs are not supposed to get out of. Everyone flabbergasted at the fact he managed to get out of it.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Options
    WEDNESDAY

Good morning. Dog up with paper, she is now done and I can go back to sleep.

Found a frozen zucchini enchilada - so there is my lunch..... saves me a little $$. Found it as I was cleaning out freezer over weekend. This one has no rice so it was last month. Day off to get hair/ toes done. Toes are ready and it will be a semi- painful visit as my big toe nails have reached the point where the 2 layers are ending and it takes a little more time and work.

Missy - as I dont really know the drink, I looked up Hot toddy and I will take the whiskey version please. Could never drink rum. Thank you for sharing.

Wave to all who follow. BBL.
  • arniedog74
    Options
    Kathryn-hot totties musta been what I needed... feeling much better... still stuffy and coughing... but, not near as bad... thankfully.. thanks to Missy :)
    Some dogs are just geniuses at escaping... it amazes me.. glad he stayed at house and didn't take off...
  • hickchic67
    Options
    Was way under calorie intake yesterday. Not exactly sure how that happened but hope I can replicate it!! Decided to walk another 1.5 on treadmill and even do some weights last night in gym at work. Was feeling pretty good when I got home.
    Then downhill from there. Sore throat, sinus pain, cough, chills, achy. I dont have time for this!! Doing half day at work. Seems to be something going around cause several others here have similar yuckiness.

Since they work so well, I will take a case of hot toddies please!!!