Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Today's 42.2 brought to you by the number -23, because that's what the temp was for the majority of my run today :D .

So -23... that is NEGATIVE 10F !?!? Okay, that is cold. Major respect for weathering that!

Haha thanks! The part of the province we are in sees -30 to -40 for the majority of the winter. Bring the pain Canada :D

You are braver than I am. Or maybe more used to it. I chickened out this morning and ran in -11C at 5PM instead of -18C at 7AM. To be fair I'm not sure if I've got the right assortment of clothing yet for much colder than I've done so far.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Garmin says my Lactate Threshold is 175. I suspect that is correct, or close. At the beginning of the season, I guessed 165 based on a 51 min run I did. I know I am much improved since then. Might go adjust all my zones based on that and see how it relates to perceived effort.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB you get some cold weather. We tend to get to 0F/-17C a lot, and down as far as -10F/-23C in January and February, but you certainly have me beat!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So sorry for Skip. Right after I got my first car I got in a minor parking lot fender bender. I went home in tears and my dad told me "Bad things come in threes. It's over now." Funny I don't remember what the first two things were. We fixed my car without involving insurance but it was just back bumper damage. It was funny later. We were the only two vehicles in the parking lot and both backed up at the same time!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom So sorry for Skip. Right after I got my first car I got in a minor parking lot fender bender. I went home in tears and my dad told me "Bad things come in threes. It's over now." Funny I don't remember what the first two things were. We fixed my car without involving insurance but it was just back bumper damage. It was funny later. We were the only two vehicles in the parking lot and both backed up at the same time!

@greenolivetree omg that's horrible can you imagine just 2 cars and that happens
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Sorry about Skip's vehicle! Hopefully and prayerfully insurance works in your favor!
    @PastorVincent - my daughter wanted a black and white guinea pig, and she got one. They said the guinea pig is a little shy and she has to stay in cage for two days until she gets use to us. First guinea pig for us, so we are learning as we go.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    bride001 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - my daughter wanted a black and white guinea pig, and she got one. They said the guinea pig is a little shy and she has to stay in cage for two days until she gets use to us. First guinea pig for us, so we are learning as we go.

Ah. Never had one. Only ever had dogs and birds. I understand though that guinea pigs are master escape artists so keep an eye or three out. :)
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB - on the very rare occasion it gets below 30 F here and it is mixed with ice/sleet/snow - roads and bridges are closed and cities close down. The coldest weather I have been in is 17 F, so your negative 10F is crazy scary.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

@greenolivetree omg that's horrible can you imagine just 2 cars and that happens

Lol. Now that I'm older I realize that guy was fishy and it was probably his fault (maybe he gunned it) and he probably had no insurance bc he was quick to suggest we just cover it ourselves and not call the police :p
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom glad Skip is okay- I hope your insurance comes through for you!

@PastorVincent that sounds bad *kitten* and fun romping around the slopes of Vermont. Eff the chair lift though, I get cold too fast as it is lol

@MNLittleFinn and @bride001 it's honestly not that bad when you've lived in it forever. But, as I'm sure @juliet3455 and @sarahthes will agree, Alberta is potentially what was being referenced re: the land of the ice and snow :D . I have given serious thought to racing Gord's Frozen A** 50k this winter given that the temps will keep the field narrow
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

@MNLittleFinn and @bride001 it's honestly not that bad when you've lived in it forever. But, as I'm sure @juliet3455 and @sarahthes will agree, Alberta is potentially what was being referenced re: the land of the ice and snow :D . I have given serious thought to racing Gord's Frozen A** 50k this winter given that the temps will keep the field narrow

See that is my problem. I've only lived here for 12 years. (Plus 4 years of university but I was back in BC for a few years in between school and moving permanently.)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

See that is my problem. I've only lived here for 12 years. (Plus 4 years of university but I was back in BC for a few years in between school and moving permanently.)

Yeah BC could spoil a girl quickly ;) . I've been in Alberta 22-23 years?? Not that the winter in Newfoundland is some vast improvement mind you, but wet cold and dry cold are different animals for sure.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom glad Skip is okay- I hope your insurance comes through for you!

@PastorVincent that sounds bad *kitten* and fun romping around the slopes of Vermont. Eff the chair lift though, I get cold too fast as it is lol

I actually wouldn't mind the winters. Good trade off for awesome trail running....
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Yeah BC could spoil a girl quickly ;) . I've been in Alberta 22-23 years?? Not that the winter in Newfoundland is some vast improvement mind you, but wet cold and dry cold are different animals for sure.

Yeah, see I lived in the southern USA for the last 14 years... where if it snowed in the morning, it was melted by the time you got home from work. Moved to Pittsburgh recently, this will be my 3rd winter here, and the last two were "mild" by Pittsburgh standards. So -10F looks scary to me LOL. I suspect with the right run kit I will be fine. Just need to learn the cold ropes!

Oh it was 60F today... just for a point of compare :)
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - this past march I paid my car off on a Friday, and a lady got me on that Saturday. I was her second accident that month. I was in a parking lot for that one. But it was a parking lot for our city park.... so I'm not sure if that would be considered private property. I couldn't get the lady to stick around long enough for a police report... got her name, phone number, license plate, and insurance company- she "didn't have her card"I actually called my insurance company first, because I was so convinced the info wasn't going to check out. But, getting back to the point, no police report, and parking lot, and her insurance paid for it... so may be worth trying at least.

Otherwise, been sick, no running, or lifting, boo
  • lindieloo1
    lindieloo1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Returning from a long break and I have the excess pounds to prove it! So 24 miles in November will get me back into it :)
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25

Total: 15.28

Happy Birthday @katharmonic !
    @skippygirlsmom my last fenderbender was in the parking lot at work (private) and I can assure you, my insurance company took a good hard look.....and I paid 80%, the other guy 20 (we both backed up simultaneously...but apparently, I backed up faster.......)

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
    November 2 - rest day
    November 3 - 16.5 km run
    November 4 - Strength training
    November 5 - 5 km club run
    14 km run

52 km completed 298 km to goal
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I talked to the cop up the street and he said certain parking lot accidents are clear fault, hitting a legally parked car, backing up in to a moving car, 2 cars backing into each other and not yielding to the through way. He said it stinks when there are no stop signs no yield signs neither was in the main through way etc. He agreed I should get an estimate then decide what to do. He said I can certainly go after her insurance especially since the responding officer slanted the report in Skips favor. If I go after her I have to report it to my insurance and regardless of who pays my insurance will go up. That is what I'm trying to avoid. If it's $1000 to fix, I have a $500 deductible it would easily cost me more in raised policy than the money to fix it. Nothing like having insurance and being afraid to use it. My personal thought was Skip should have stopped but the officer disagreed with me. He said though it might have been a good idea to stop where she was legally she didn't have to do so.