November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 Yeah they were just strolling along at 18:32 ha ha what a jerk
    Thanks @girlinahat on the upside she got an email from the Coach at the school she wants to go to with an application for scholarships, with a note saying he hopes she decides to come run for him. 
    @_nikkiwolf_ I’m forever pulling everything out of my “running” dresser and throwing it on the floor and having to refold it all. It’s just scary, our biggest load of laundry every week is running stuff ha ha

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 5 - 4.6km light rain and warm
    MTD - 11.3km/80km
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 - So the elite women gained 3 miles on you . . . I remember watching the women's leaders late in the 2014 Boston marathon, and contemplating the fact that they were running miles 20-26 of a marathon faster than my fastest *mile* race pace. They're a different breed than the rest of us, for sure.

@_nikkiwolf_ - I haven't counted, but I'm pretty sure I have more than 25 short sleeve tech shirts. I know I have more than 5 long sleeve tech shirts. I thin them out when I run out of hangers for new race shirts. My sister sends some of her old race shirts off to someone who turns them into a t-shirt quilt that keeps her warm in the winter while reminding her of running accomplishments.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    November Running Totals (miles)
    11/1 – 5.14 group run
    11/2 – 6.60 warm up, speed work, cool down
    11/3 – rest day
    11/4 – 7.24 aborted paced run
    11/5 – 11.15 easy

November running total to date – 30.13

Nominal challenge goal: 200 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Prepare for Club Nationals in early December and the start of Boston training in late December.

Today's notes – The forecast called for rain or showers pretty much all day long today. Got out to run about 2:30, with cloudy skies and wind but no rain. Because I anticipated it would start raining as I ran, I threw on a bright yellow running jacket, wore a headlamp, and carried a handheld light in a jacket pocket. I wanted to be very visible when early Christmas traffic drivers weren't expecting to see someone out running in the rain.

It was 59º F (15º C), really too warm for 2 layers. I appreciated the jacket when running into the wind, but it was awfully warm with the wind at my back. After yesterday's scare with the ankle, I didn't want to commit to a grand 14 mile loop; if the ankle crapped out at 7 miles again, it would be a long walk home. So I ran around some familiar places closer to home, adding little loops and exploring some roads I hadn't run before. The ankle kind of muttered, and I did get further from home than I'd want to walk; but I also was pretty confident that I'd be able to run to where I had 2 miles or less to walk at any given time.

I ran through a brief light shower about mile 6. There was no traffic on the residential street I was on at the time, and I never turned on my lights. But I had them with me, and I would have used them if it had started raining for real. About mile 8, I decided I could go the longer way with a minimum of 11 miles; but about 9.5 miles I was pretty sure I didn't want to stretch that to 13 miles. So I ended up with a bit over 11, in 1:26:03. It felt good to actually have a continual run of over 10 miles, even though I was mildly concerned with my ankle for much of the run.

Definitely taking a rest day tomorrow. My current thinking is to water down the speed work assignments this week, and save the fast stuff for next Sunday's XC race. I already know that running fast on the grass will be easier on my ankle than running fast on asphalt. Today I found that running naturally (7:43 per mile average) on mostly asphalt was easier on my ankle that running a bit slower (8:06 average pace) on mostly concrete sidewalks yesterday. Don't know what I'm going to do about that going forward; if I'm lucky, the ankle will get better and that will stop being a concern.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:39:05
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY) finished in 19:28
    August 9, 2017 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 41:26
    August 12, 2017 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:47
    August 25, 2017 USATF Masters Mile (Hap Crim Michigan Mile, Flint, MI) DNS - injury
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) DNS - injury
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    October 29, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #4 6K (Brighton, NY) finished in 25:32.8
    November 12, 2017 Pete Glavin XC Race #5 8K (Canandaigua, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
    December 9, 2017 USATF Club National XC Championship 8K (Lexington, KY)

2018 races:
    January 1, 2018 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY)
    January 6, 2018 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    January 13, 2018 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY)
    January 27, 2018 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY)
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY)
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp by the end of the race they were a lot more than three miles ahead of me. Shalane Flanagan won the race in 2:26:53. That's about ten seconds faster than my half marathon time. A different breed indeed.
  • Babbs1977
    Babbs1977 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    November goal of 80 miles.

Week 1 = 20.48 miles
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    11/5 - Walked 1 mile, ran 3 (and shortened up my walk breaks), walked .5 mile = 4.5 miles. That's 3 days in a row for me! I wore the lower drop shoes again. Still rolling and icing my right foot to ward off this plantar fasciitis flare. So far it's bearable.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp by the end of the race they were a lot more than three miles ahead of me. Shalane Flanagan won the race in 2:26:53. That's about ten seconds faster than my half marathon time. A different breed indeed.

When I lived in Virgina the big race was the 10 miler. It was the race of the year and everyone came out for it from around the country. It was brutal course, with the last 1.5 miles all uphill. Well It was an out and back - so 5 miles out, turn around 5 miles back... I would not hit mile three before the leaders passed me on their way BACK. The held a 4:30 or so pace for all ten miles. It was insane.

But, in a way, I actually am very happy the leaders are that fast. It means when I start a race I do not have to think at all about trying to win. I know it that it is so far beyond me to not even be in the realm of possible. Takes a lot of pressure off and allows me to just run against myself and the course. It is one of the reasons I do this sport over others. If I had a chance at winning it would be much more stressful.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25
    11/5 4.50

Total: 19.78

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    40 minutes stationary bike no running for two weeks. 2 days down 12 to go.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    October goal: Not chicken out and Register for Zumbro. Start training for Zumbro and figure out real mileage
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles???

11/1- REST
    11/2- 3.1+ 20 minutes shoveling
    11/3- REST
    11/4- 7.8
    11/5- 4
    11/6- REST

Total: 13.9

Today's notes- Assigned rest day today. Looking at my schedule for this week and the framework for next week, it looks like I'll be dropping to 5 days a week running. This is going to be HARD, after being a 6 runs a week runner for over a year. But, that's why I hired a coach.

On the coaching side of things, it's starting to shape up that my speedwork day is Saturday, followed by an "easy pace" trail run on Sunday. Haha, yesterday's trail run sucked. The thing is, the Saturday speedwork kills my legs, so Sunday is killer, despite being slow!

Also on the coaching side of things, I sent coach a video of me running yesterday, just a simple jog up the road as my wife videoed my front, side and back. Last night I got an Email saying that overall he thought my form was great (relief!) but there were a few things he wanted me to work on.

FIRST however, he said he saw quite a bit of tightness in the front of my hips and noted that my torso doesn't rotate. So, before he works on my form, he has some exercises he wants me to do. I'll be doing those for the next seven days, starting today. as coach put it "You can't tell a race car driver to go faster if there is something wrong with the transmission," So, I'll be working on those weak areas and then moving onto fixing my form.

Looking at how he has my training going, it really looks like his plan is to get my speed up, so I can get through the 100 quicker and be on my feet less. I'm only starting week 1 though, so only time will tell!

Have a Runderful day all!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?

http://teachertrailrunner.blogspot.com/
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I have not run since last Thursday :( We had an agility trial all weekend and I got lots of steps in with all the running around but it wasn’t a run and I need to run. Now I am at the airport (so early up at 3:00 am and to the airport by 4:30) heading to Montreal for work. No run today either but I am hoping to get one in at the hotel gym.
    @greenolivetree - have you tried ‘Toes Pose’ for the plantar fasciitis? I do it every day and have not had a recurrence.
    @MobyCarp - I agree on the getting old(er). I want to run and keep running so I will do whatever I need to so I can.
    @katharmonic - happy birthday! Love the hat!!
    @skippygirlsmom - I had my very first accident in my daughters brand new car of 1 week. It was in stop and go traffic and we were only going 10 mph but the way we hit did so much damage. Because the car was a new model we couldn’t get the parts for over 4 months and it took 6 to get it back. She cried and cried and told me ‘I ruined her car’! We laugh about it now but she still gives me grief about it!
  • Jettaska
    Jettaska Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm in for 100 km. If we get snow, I'll divide cross country skiing km by 2.

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

@skippygirlsmom So sorry to hear about Skip's accident but at least she is okay. That's the important part! Regarding the lady on oxygen...yeah, she probably shouldn't be driving, but my dad who had dementia still continued to drive...no law to stop him ( a long dreary story). I hope that it is not the tie rod....very expensive to fix. I still don't understand why her insurance doesn't take care of it, if she has insurance. (I never get hit by anyone with insurance.)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    11/1 10miles
    11/2 4miles
    11/3 12miles
    11/4 4miles
    11/5 rest
    11/6 6.62miles

Interval Monday!
    2mi @ HM pace, 3min rest
    2mi @ 10k pace, 3min rest
    2x .5mi @ 5k pace, 2min rest

Definitely pushed myself and I feel pretty good!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    November goal of 130 with a stretch of 150

Week 1: 35.9

Taking the first step to running my 1st marathon by submitting a lottery application for the 2018 Chicago Marathon. Decided if I don’t get entry there, I will register for the Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis that took place yesterday and runs by Butler university where my daughter goes to college. Either one should be pretty special to run.

I love the Monumental....I have run in the half a couple of years ago and wanted to this year, but my husband made plans and it didn't work out. I may run in the marathon (also my first), if I can get the runs in...otherwise back to running the half. The trees are in full color the first week of November, and the temperature is usually perfect. The course is really flat (for the most part) and many runners have a better chance of PR in the event.