November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @eponine1984 plenty of people walk hills. A tip I learnt recently is to mix a run/Walk up a hill. Walk counting to 25, counting on each foot, then run counting to 25, counting only on the right foot. Keep your running steps very small, engage the glutes and relax the feet.

You’ll be fine though.

Oh I like that tip. I'm a hill walker but I will give this a go.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    October goal: Start training for Zumbro and figure out real mileage
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles???

11/1- REST
    11/2- 3.1+ 20 minutes shoveling
    11/3- REST
    11/4- 7.8
    11/5- 4
    11/6- REST
    11/7- 5.8

Total: 13.9

Today's notes- Today's assignment was another one of those ones that sneaks up on me. I was assigned 10x1 minute hill repeats, with recovery being whatever it took to get back to the bottom plus 20 minute warm up and 20 minute cool down. I misread the assignment and only did a 10 minute cool.... stupid me.

In other notes, it was 15F (-9.4C) this morning with a nice wind in my face, luckily on the downhills. Not @JessicaMcB temps, but decent for early November here. All I really needed was my running pants, UnderArmour turtleneck and Asics Thermopolis pull over, plus hat/gloves.wool socks. Nice morning for a run.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?

http://teachertrailrunner.blogspot.com/
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So I’m reducing my running this month to try and focus on strength training, but am still keen to do short runs – nothing over about an hour/10k.

Sundays run was about five miles, easy and really nice. I did a CrossFit taster class on the Friday night and was keen to see if I was still able to add in running. Wasn’t too bad, although my quads started feeling it towards the end.

I did another CrossFit class last night – I have to do 6 Fundamentals sessions to teach the core moves. Last night was squats and variations of squats. We did bodyweight squats, a Tabata session of bodyweight squats, squats and throwing a weighted ball up a wall, squats with a barbell, and finally a timed set of rounds of squats with the weighted ball interspersed by the Devil’s Torture itself, burpees. I hate burpees. If I’d known there’d be burpees I’d probably not have signed up. Last nights burpees towards the end made me look like I’d been on one of those Japanese gameshows where you spin round with your head on a pole and then try and walk in a straight line. It wasn’t pretty. And I am PAYING for this? I had jogged to the gym (as an unnecessary warm-up) and I jogged home again to try and stop my legs from seizing up. Wow. I never realised I could jog SO VERY SLOWLY…..

All I can say is it had better make me a better stronger runner at the end of it.

No morning run, I figured I’d let the quads rest a bit and run tomorrow morning when the DOMS has properly set in…..

I have a love/hate relationship with burpees. But I really, really, really hate burpee box jumps. The program I'm following now has them as the last exercise for plyo day. I've missed the 12" box plenty of times (and can do 14" just fine on normal box jumps). And it hurts when your shin hits the box.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    11/1 - Started month with unplanned rest day. Damn I hate colds!
    11/2 - 5 miles on a perfect morning to run (43° F and little wind)
    11/3 - Unplanned rest day...can't shake this stupid virus!
    11/4 - 5.1 miles.
    11/5 - Planned rest day / church, etc.
    11/6 - 5.1 miles. A bit chilly for November...wind chill was 19° F.
    11/7 - 5 miles. A little warmer today.

exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So I’m reducing my running this month to try and focus on strength training, but am still keen to do short runs – nothing over about an hour/10k.

Sundays run was about five miles, easy and really nice. I did a CrossFit taster class on the Friday night and was keen to see if I was still able to add in running. Wasn’t too bad, although my quads started feeling it towards the end.

I did another CrossFit class last night – I have to do 6 Fundamentals sessions to teach the core moves. Last night was squats and variations of squats. We did bodyweight squats, a Tabata session of bodyweight squats, squats and throwing a weighted ball up a wall, squats with a barbell, and finally a timed set of rounds of squats with the weighted ball interspersed by the Devil’s Torture itself, burpees. I hate burpees. If I’d known there’d be burpees I’d probably not have signed up. Last nights burpees towards the end made me look like I’d been on one of those Japanese gameshows where you spin round with your head on a pole and then try and walk in a straight line. It wasn’t pretty. And I am PAYING for this? I had jogged to the gym (as an unnecessary warm-up) and I jogged home again to try and stop my legs from seizing up. Wow. I never realised I could jog SO VERY SLOWLY…..

All I can say is it had better make me a better stronger runner at the end of it.

No morning run, I figured I’d let the quads rest a bit and run tomorrow morning when the DOMS has properly set in…..

I have a love/hate relationship with burpees. But I really, really, really hate burpee box jumps. The program I'm following now has them as the last exercise for plyo day. I've missed the 12" box plenty of times (and can do 14" just fine on normal box jumps). And it hurts when your shin hits the box.

Ouch! I have not done them... but I have had to do one legged burpees (one leg NEVER touches the ground) - and let me tell you I am NOT a very good ballerina.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I suspect Day 4 is the rub for everyone in the Dopey Challenge. :smiley:
    @girlinahat - "When the DOMS has properly set in..." That made me snort.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - I suspect Day 4 is the rub for everyone in the Dopey Challenge. :smiley:

:smiley: I am guessing that instead of hitting a wall at mile 20 or where ever... it comes at mile 10 or something. :lol:
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hey... if you do not yet have a Road ID, this is the time to get one. They just sent out a message saying they are offering 30% off every ID they sell

Details: https://www.roadid.com/pages/crazy-eddie-2017/

Thanks! I can't decide between a bracelet and one that attaches to my shoe.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options

- and let me tell you I am NOT a very good ballerina.

I'm trying to picture @PastorVincent in a frilly tutu! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Ouch! I have not done them... but I have had to do one legged burpees (one leg NEVER touches the ground) - and let me tell you I am NOT a very good ballerina.

One legged? Oh *kitten* no.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hey... if you do not yet have a Road ID, this is the time to get one. They just sent out a message saying they are offering 30% off every ID they sell

Details: https://www.roadid.com/pages/crazy-eddie-2017/

Thanks! I can't decide between a bracelet and one that attaches to my shoe.

Highly suggest bracelet so that you have it on you at all times, and not only when running.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    - and let me tell you I am NOT a very good ballerina.

I'm trying to picture @PastorVincent in a frilly tutu! :smiley::smiley::smiley:

:tongue: :tongue:
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Got in a nice run this morning. The weather actually felt really good at 42 degrees. I was thinking that would be really cold (don't laugh!) but just my hands were cold so I tucked them into my sleeves. May need to get some light gloves.

11/2: 4.15
    11/5: 3.6
    11/7: 3.7

Upcoming races:
    11/12: Monterey Bay Half Marathon
    12/03: Hot Chocolate 15k (Scottsdale, AZ)