11/1 10miles
    11/2 4miles
    11/3 12miles
    11/4 4miles
    11/5 rest
    11/6 6.62miles
    11/7 5miles
    11/8 7miles

Cool and drizzling. Not bad for 7 miles. Ran 8:46, 8:19, and 8:25 for my last three miles.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    In theory, trail running is something that I would enjoy, but I live in the foothills near Denver, CO, so trail running here is really code for "running up a big *kitten* mountain." I wish we had flat, meandering dirt paths with a few rolling hills baked in, but nope, we have the Rocky *kitten* Mountains.

Even more than pavement running, it's definitly ok to walk up the hills on trails. Right now, on my long runs, I'm walking up most of the hills on the trails I'm "running". As I get back into form, I'll run more of them, but I'll still power walk the steepest, baddest hills. Over time you develop an efficient power walk and can often walk up a hill as fast as run up the hill, and do so with less energy expended.

If trail running in the foothills seems intimidating, look at it from another perspective. Go hiking in your running shoes and run the trails when they seem flat enough, or if the hill is small enough. There no magic ratio of running/walking which delineates hiking from trail running so after a while you'll call it trail running. That hilly hike with a bit of running mixed in will definitely help your pavement running.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »

I got up to try a run and it just isn't happening. I can get through my workout ok. I can get through the warm-up doc wants me to do before running but I can't get more than .5 mile before the ham is screaming. So I just walked. Keep taking it easy. I just ordered my swim cap, googles and suit, so I start swim training next week. Hopefully that will help.

Sorry you're hurt. That's just no fun. I hope you enjoy the swimming. Are you working with a PT?

My pt is doing dry needling and it's helped. Although, she hasn't done my hamstring that seems to really need it. Yesterday was the second session and I didn't have the referred pain patterns- I'm hoping that means it's calming down.

You're in Texas... Ugh so you'd need a a doc to order your pt. I think they can assess you without an order, just not treat. But, if you wanna come up here to see Sheri at Ardmore physical therapy with me..... :smiley:

@Elise4270 yes I am seeing a PT. She is amazing! She is also very frustrated with my body! HAHA. Last appt she said "Ok, lets start over". She thinks I'm wonky. LOL, well yes I am, but what about my body? Due to a really old injury, I am off balance. So I am working on a lot of core/glute exercises to strengthen the weak side, specific warm ups before run (when I am able to get back to that) and balance. Yoga would be my friend right now. I would love to find a class but having a hard time due to the locale that I work in. I should just do it at home, but it is about one of the only things that I actually like doing a class for.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    In theory, trail running is something that I would enjoy, but I live in the foothills near Denver, CO, so trail running here is really code for "running up a big *kitten* mountain." I wish we had flat, meandering dirt paths with a few rolling hills baked in, but nope, we have the Rocky *kitten* Mountains.

Me and @juliet3455 run trail in the heart of the Canadian Rockies. Mountain running is fun, if you have a group you could try it out with you might fall in love. I take no responsibility if you do :D

I think I would like doing it in a group. I was just looking at some running camps/retreats to hook up with some of those folks. I'm pondering a few new goals to tackle after my first HM. Right now it's a toss up between trying to age-group-finish-top-three at the 10k distance (I am consistently finishing in the top 5, so reasonable), or work on something like trail running or running more collaboratively.

I've conned my 13 year old son into running the 2k and the 1M at my next two races. He didn't enjoy cross country the two years he did it, but he plays soccer and runs a ton.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - REST
    11/2 - REST
    11/3 - 1.95
    11/4 - 8
    11/5 - REST
    11/6 - 4.7
    11/7 - 2.5 (uggg, treadmill)
    11/8 - 5

First run in my new shoes and it felt amazing! My hips and calf don't feel wonky at all! I was patient and waited for the GPS to sync up so I could make sure I nailed the 5 miles. I went out in my tights and long-sleeve "warm shirt." Should have worn my coat, also. My stomach was quite pink and I definitely felt cold at the end of my run. Still figuring out how warmly to dress based on actual temp. Today was 28F when I headed out, so I'd venture to guess that anything below freezing needs a coat. Lesson learned. Also, I need a better hat or ear band, with a little more ear flap action.

Also note: Going to invent a shirt with a tissue-dispensing forearm sleeve. My running nickname should be "snotter."

I would buy this shirt in a second.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 That is so true. Funny thing, when I went for my first run with my pacer for Wild Duluth, he had forgotten his headlamp. So, what did we do? we went for a run up and over the peak with me leading the way.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm sorry that you're going through such a rough patch with the meds. I hope things even out and improve greatly soon!

In other news, I ran a nice and cool 3 miles this morning. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with myself now. Not ready to commit to a marathon. Trail running looks intriguing. So do mudder type races. I'd really have to work on the upper body strength this winter, though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I'm sorry that you're going through such a rough patch with the meds. I hope things even out and improve greatly soon!

In other news, I ran a nice and cool 3 miles this morning. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do with myself now. Not ready to commit to a marathon. Trail running looks intriguing. So do mudder type races. I'd really have to work on the upper body strength this winter, though.

a Tough Mudder or Spartan race would you to combine running and upper body strength into one race..... Trail running is addictive, don't get into it unless you want to get into something that makes you want to do nothing else.....
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    01/11 3.64 miles
    02/11 3.61 miles
    04/11 4.18 miles - enjoyed 2days run, first that's felt normal in ages
    07/11 3.81 miles - lovely frosty evening
    08/11 4.20miles

exercise.png

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    11/1 - REST
    11/2 - REST
    11/3 - 1.95
    11/4 - 8
    11/5 - REST
    11/6 - 4.7
    11/8 - 5

First run in my new shoes and it felt amazing! My hips and calf don't feel wonky at all! I was patient and waited for the GPS to sync up so I could make sure I nailed the 5 miles. I went out in my tights and long-sleeve "warm shirt." Should have worn my coat, also. My stomach was quite pink and I definitely felt cold at the end of my run. Still figuring out how warmly to dress based on actual temp. Today was 28F when I headed out, so I'd venture to guess that anything below freezing needs a coat. Lesson learned. Also, I need a better hat or ear band, with a little more ear flap action.

Also note: Going to invent a shirt with a tissue-dispensing forearm sleeve. My running nickname should be "snotter."

@fitoverfortymom and @skippygirlsmom You don't need a tissue-dispensing shirt. I discovered a solution during ragweed season last year. Get an armband phone holder like the picture below. Instead of a phone, put a travel pack of tissues inside of the pocket. Works like a charm. :)

r7v9753iqybs.png

That is genius. Otherwise, armband phone thingies are utterly useless.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    11/1 = 10 miles
    11/2 = strength training
    11/3 = 5 miles
    11/4 = 19 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = 4.5 miles and strength training
    11/7 = 8.5 miles
    11/8 = rest day

I just couldn't get my lazy butt out of bed this morning. A glorious cold front came through and brought some rain with it. My plan was to hit the gym if it was raining when I got up. Unfortunately, my warm bed had other plans for me.

47/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    11/11 = New Braunfels Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    November 1 - 16.5 km run / strength training
    November 2 - rest day
    November 3 - 16.5 km run
    November 4 - Strength training
    November 5 - 5 km club/14 km run
    November 6 - 19 km run
    November 7 - 21 km run
    November 8 - Strength training
    November 9 - 16.5 km run

108.5 km completed - 241.5 km to goal
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

a Tough Mudder or Spartan race would you to combine running and upper body strength into one race..... Trail running is addictive, don't get into it unless you want to get into something that makes you want to do nothing else.....

Preach!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    11/1 - REST
    11/2 - REST
    11/3 - 1.95
    11/4 - 8
    11/5 - REST
    11/6 - 4.7
    11/8 - 5

@fitoverfortymom and @skippygirlsmom You don't need a tissue-dispensing shirt. I discovered a solution during ragweed season last year. Get an armband phone holder like the picture below. Instead of a phone, put a travel pack of tissues inside of the pocket. Works like a charm. :)

r7v9753iqybs.png

That is genius. Otherwise, armband phone thingies are utterly useless.

Well duh of course I have one of those laying around the house, doesn't everyone?! Great idea!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    11/2: 4.8
    11/3: 3
    11/5: 8
    11/8: 4 miles (Note to myself, when it is 43~ degrees outside, don’t wear a hat) :p

19.8 miles so far...

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    11/8: 4 miles (Note to myself, when it is 43~ degrees outside, don’t wear a hat) :p

19.8 miles so far...

exercise.png

Nice running and, yeah, a hat is overkill for 43.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    2.5 elliptical miles
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »

19.8 miles so far...

exercise.png

Nice running and, yeah, a hat is overkill for 43.

Thanks :) Yeah definitely overkill. I know better for the future now.