WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Michelle I think you can reheat the stuffing in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes, make sure it is well covered in foil and maybe add a little stock to it so it doesn't dry out. I always like it better the next day!

Oh joy, today is like Friday for me, DH and I will both have a day off together for a change, yippee. Should be a busy but productive day for me and I can tick off another medical appt, my annual visit with the gynecologist.

strength & <3 NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,334 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    All packed and mostly tidied for the viewing. Off in just over an hour. My son and DDIL should be landing in Cyprus in a few minutes. :D<3
    I actually slept for six and a half hours last night! Pleased with myself! o:)

Speak later, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! No swimming this morning for me. We had to leave our two jeeps at the shop so that the tires can be switched on them. Not rotated. Just switched. Both of them are leased vehicles, but this summer,we had to put new tires on the one that we are turning in this weekend. SO...we are having the new tires put on our other jeep (that we will keep). At first, when my DH suggested we do this, I just thought he was being nit picky and a tight wad. Then I found out the tires cost $600!!! :o Ummm...yes, please. Let's not spend that again if we don't have to! We will not get another car, and will just be a one car family. We will probably buy out the jeep we are keeping at the end of the lease contract. Anyway, long story, short. No car to take me to the pool. I was going to walk or ride my bike (brrrr), but we are getting freezing rain this morning! So...my goal is pool tomorrow.
    I got my hair cut last night. DH hates it. Had a real nice little hissy fit about it. Sucks to be him, I guess. >:) I love it. It is a graduated bob. Shorter in back (it shows my tattoo) and jaw length in front. Sassy! B) He will get over it, in time.
    Meg- Sending hugs to you as you and DH proceed in this next step in life. I am sure it is somewhat of a relief to know where he is going to be and for how long. Sometimes I think the waiting for news is the hardest and most stressful. Now, you both can begin making plans for afterwards. Onward and upward! Sorry about the difficulties you are having with DIL!
    Felicia- Is your son the little "scientist" in the orange (I think he was wearing orange)? You are right, all the kids were cute. I love to see kids talking about what they want to be when they grow up and why. And that building set is AWESOME! Sometimes I wish I had older kids all day every day. I would love to get kits like this and work on them with my kids. I am going to pass the link along to my daycare families, though. I have many former daycare kids that would love something like this.
    Heather-Enjoy your trip! I will be listening in to your DIL's Tedtalk on Saturday.
    Joyce- Oh, I have stories of kids doing strange things! Putting things in their noses are the least of the weird. I had a group of boys (ages 2-3) who were playing house, and decided the bathroom was going to be behind the couch by the window. They, then, ALL pulled their pants down and put their bare buns on the window sills (I have a five panel window, there). Neighbors walking by got a nice view of four little "moons" in my window! :s These are the same boys (a few years later), who spent a good amount of time in secret discussion, then finally asked me "Does baby Rowan weigh as much as an elephant poop?" The inner workings of a five and six year old mind. I did end up googling "how much does an elephant poop" so I could tell them that it would take 18 baby Rowans to weigh as much as elephant poo. I hope no one ever looks into my computer history. I am sure they will find other crazy things I have had to look up!

I got the new (september release) book of the Millenium/The Girl Who series; The Girl Who Takes An Eye For An Eye. Long title, but it is wonderful to have another installment of the Lisbeth Salander stories. She is right up there as one of my favorite literary characters. I will have to hit some used book shops and get the whole series. Just to have them in my personal library. I read about the first 24 pages last night, but then had to get some sleep. Going to be a practice in restraint for me, today, as I won't have time to read, at all.

well, kiddos beginning to arrive. Thinking of you all! Loving all of the pics and updates! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • stellafgus
    stellafgus Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just found this blog and I see that it has monthly goals which I like the go by month instead of what is my overall goal , so here is my monthly goal November goals

Exercise: strength training and walking 3 times per week
    Logging: log my meals every BLT ( bite lick and taste)
    Menu planning: weekly

Beginning date Nov. 9th 2017
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :) We had a huge windstorm in the evening and overnight. The dogs were a bit confused when we went out at bedtime and I was hoping that no huge branch would break off and clobber us as we walked. This morning it is calm and the streets are covered with debris. The community maintenance team will clear the streets sometime during the day and if Jake gets busy early, he can blow a lot of the debris from our driveway and yard into the street and they'll pick it up as they clean the streets.

:)Kelly, we have been a one car household for awhile and it has worked well. One of the blessings of it is that we talk about our plans and coordinate rather than operating so separately. Also we have found joy in doing errands together (we call it an "errand date").

:)Stellafgus, welcome. Your goals sound a perfect plan. I hope you'll bookmark this thread and keep coming back and tell us more about yourself.

:)Joyce, I've had the same experience in dance class as you have in choir. We are working hard on the dances for our holiday performances in December and the teacher thinks we need to learn new dances so we don't get bored.

:)Katla, wow, bareback riding! You keep growing and expanding your horse skills. Bravo.

:)Heather, best wishes on the house viewing.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,680 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Meg, I have been thinking about you and your husband for awhile wonderimg when his time would come. Prayers to all involved. Glad he will have an instant friend and you can have some one drive with you to see him. Take care. You have so much stress right now. Crying is a big relief.

100 gall stones! Yee gads!!!!!!! Hope he is OK. I remember when I was working that was a long time ago! Anyway, those gall stones were something to talk about so the surgeon would always give them to the patient after surgery. Well one time about all the gall stones was as sludge. Back then after surgery the first diet you are on is a clear liquid diet. So this person had some pretty bad eye sight. Pretty much everything on a c,ear liquid diet comes on the tray in a small round container with a lid on it. So did the sludge. So he complained that what he was eating didn't taste good at all. Some one went to check and sure enough he was trying to spoon in that awful sludge. Well there was the time when we had cataract surgeries that you stayed in the hosptial for two day. When you co,e out of surgery, your eye is bandaged up pretty good. The surgeon also have the family the cataract in what looks like what you give your urine specimen in. It had a screw top lid. So this old mad called out and said his meal was real nasty. He had taken off the lid and drank his cataract. Of course it was give to the patient in fermaldenyde! Right after that the policy was changed. We also had the old lady that was kind of sick in her head that ate her thermometer. Yep, it was the old Mercury kind. Now that story got around the hosptial fast! Once housekeeping heard any story it spread like a wild fire. You never knew if it was true or not but I was on the unit that all of these stories happened. Wow, has nursing changed.

Kelly, tell us how many kids have put something up their noses in your day care???

Choir practice was good tonight. We are trying to work on new music while still working on the Christmas cantata. A new guy joined the choir tonight. He's a neat kid, mist graduated from high school and a very polite guy. I'm not sure what his voice is like but I know being in the youth group is very important to him and being a leader is. He says he is a bass and we really need them so we will see if he stays. It's kind of hard to walk into choir practice when we are doing this hard stuff and most of us are getting it pretty well and he doesn't know a thing. Directors policy is that you attend three practices before you sing on a Sunday. That way she knows you are serious and half way know the music. He was put beside two basses that know their music real well. He has the most beautiful long wavy blonde hair. And blue eyes! He has a twin sister. She sang beside me last Wednesday night when the multigenerational choir was practicing and she can't sing at all.

My sis is gong to come over tomorrow and we are going to fill a shoe box for Operation Christmas Child. And we might go shopping or Culvers for iced custard. She hasn't seen Mozart for awhile so I a, anxious to see what she thingks of my little boy. Had my routine hair appointment today and she has a 3 year old dog and 5 month old puppy. They acted just like my two. The puppy just irritating the dickens out of the adult dog.

Pip, saw on tv tonight a story of a group that raises golden retrievers as hug dogs. They take me to areas of disasters. They were there in the small town in Texas just to let people hug them. They looked exactly liked yours. The eyes have so much compassion in them.,

Joyce, Imdiana

My Golden’s would b good hug dogs now that they r older, theirs are probably therapy dogs like rocky was

Katla- thx for your kind words,?that means aliot
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm still unable to make comments on posts on my newsfeed and my wall. Regarding my bacon and egg fast my husband and I have both lost weight every day. Today we invited my sister and her husband over for bacon and eggs! We will also be going swimming and hot tubing. Love Arizona weather!

Kettlebell Workout
    Morning workout
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-14 X7X 40
    Evening workout
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-14 X7X 40

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Arizona
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I slept in today. I have one heck of a headache today, likely further exacerbated by our needing to have the heater on for the first time this season. The dry heater air always gives me sinus headaches. I didn’t have this problem in radiator buildings up North, only when the heated air is moved by fan does it give me headaches.

I have to go to work at 4om so since I don’t feel great I think I’m going to lounge in the bed and doze until noon. I’ll be walking to work so I should still get in a good amount of steps today. I think I’ll skip swimming until Saturday though.

Rye
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,791 Member
    Options
    good mid morning from Ct. I got the munchkin on the bus and ran some errands and walked the boys .now home and getting stuff done here..Pandora is on, and playing just lovely music, Patsy Cline, Gene Kelly right now Singin in the Rain, Frank Sinatra.. my friend is coming to put the WIFI thermostats in this afternoon so trying to get things done that I need to now.. making lists for thanksgiving and christmas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Good luck with your viewing. :heart:

KJ: Your new haircut sounds sassy and fun. WTG! :bigsmile:

stellafgus: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. You can find us again by clicking on the blank star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. After that, you find us by clicking on the gray star. :smiley:

Barbie: I'm going to have to get a bareback pad to cushion myself from Arrow's boney back. Ouch. I think it is a toss up as to whose bones inflicted more discomfort on the other. :embarassed: (The bareback work is needed for improving my balance & core strength. Yoga is also a big help in this skill-set.)

Pip: Is there a training course for therapy dogs? When my mom was in an assisted living facility we took our previous dog in to visit. The dog was still a pup & too young to be around frail elderly people. She liked to jump up on people. Our current old boy would be stellar in the job. He's been wonderful with the grandchildren, no matter how young and grabby they are. All the dogs in our family are seniors now. In fact, all but one is ten years old. The eldest dog in the family belongs to DDIL. He is closer to 16 & is on daily dialysis at home. :star:

Yoga today! Yay!!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,413 Member
    Options
    Kelly - I hope you write a book about your daycare experiences! Reminds me of the old Art Linkletter program, "Kids say the Darndest Things", lol. Your haircut sounds adorable! Good idea on switching the jeep tires. Freezing rain...ah, the good old Midwest. I wonder if you are in for a cold and snowy winter? I am still amazed the Great Lakes freeze over sometimes.

Pip
    - wow, those photos of Kirby are something! So glad he healed so well and can do the things he loves to do! He's a tough cookie - of course, he had plenty of your TLC to help him!

Meg - glad you'll have someone to carpool with on your visits to your DH.

Heather - hope Jessamy's presentation is archived so we can pop in and watch it in case we miss it live. Great they have a nanny to help keep track of the kids during the day!

Felicia - that's a cute ad, lots for parents to think about and also showing kids with critical thinking. Your son is a natural! I would have been stuttering and crying at that age (or even the age I am now if I knew someone was taping me, lol.)

Katla
    - how is your dog faring? Doing better I hope?

Terry
    - be kind to yourself, you will get there when the time is right. I sure enjoy your posts!

Joyce - oh my word, those were some stories about people getting mixed up with eating sludge and drinking the cataract! I once had a test for H Pylori as I recall, where they needed a poo sample. It had to be refrigerated... I took it to work with me and put it in the fridge (carefully wrapped and sterile) until I could run it over to the lab at the hospital. I didn't have it packaged in anything that looked like lunch, lol, but your story made me think about that. Lunch stealers, beware!!

Allie and Kim - we keep the thermostat to below 65.... right now I have it on the highest of 62. We have a little woodstove in the living room that keeps us toasty, and we like a cold bedroom for sleeping at night. Before we got the woodstove, we'd use one or two of those oil filled heaters, they look like little radiators but they aren't radiant heat so aren't energy suckers. We still use them from time to time. I think they are $30 to $40 at Home Depot and other big box stores.

Rye - OUCH! Did you ice it? I have done that too. And I hear you on the dry air/sinus headaches! I use a lot of Neilmed Nasogel - seems to coat the sinuses and keep humidity up there. Even tho we run a humidifier, it's not enough.

Machka - glad you are recovering from that tooth extraction. I think I have a cavity starting under an old crown... my last experience at a dentist working on those molars, I had a bad reaction to the painful shot...there was plenty of screaming and crying and shaking, I had never done that in my life. The evil hygienist just kept pumping the novocaine in and wasn't giving it time to freeze the nerve. I have since switched dentists, will likely need a root canal and in that case, I am considering finding an endodontist who will just knock me out.

Right now I have a big pot of tomatoes simmering down into sauce. I froze a lot of ripe ones this summer - too hot to cook and can - so today I'm starting to process them. It was a good year for tomatoes, they are very sweet.

Got the results of the DXA bone density scan back. My doc said it's a little worse than it was 3 years ago, still not bad enough to warrant taking medication. She said 6 months of strength training isn't long enough to really show much improvement, but keep it up and keep taking Vitamin D3 and calcium, eating healthy. We'll do a recheck in 2 years. It occurs to me that there might have been a little improvement, but of course it doesn't undo all of the prior 2 1/2 years when I had a "sit down" job and my main exercise was walking.

I read in "Strong Women - Strong Bones" yesterday that gals with BMI's over 26 have fewer hip fractures. It said the gals at most risk are tall and thin... which I was for several years, especially for the time period I was borderline anorexic. So carrying a few extra pounds and staying in the higher BMI range of 25 is my goal and I think will help me in the long run. My mother and grandfather (her dad) both had hip fractures, and were not active in their later years, so the genetic predisposition is something on my mind.

I am adding "jumping" (hopping a little) and "heel drops" - up on tiptoes then boom down on heels several times a day - in shoes, on carpeting. I told my doc don't worry, I don't plan to leap from the coffee table or anything.

Welcome newcomers, by the way -- we can be daunting just from the sheer volume - just jump on in so we can get to know you!!

Time to get the shoes on and see what's happening in the neighborhood.

Have a great Thursday!!

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Felicia ~ What a cute video. I remember which one is yours from the earlier photo you posted.

Meg ~ We will all think about you as you have to make this transition.

PIP ~ Those pics of Kirby's accident are scary. He is lucky to be alive and has made great achievements in his recovery.

Spent over an hour talking to online reps from X-Finity trying to get my mobile phone and Fire tablet back on the internet. Was finally sent to the top advisor and he got me straightened out. Love reading on the tablet and hated
    being without it.

Carol in GA

i agree. i tell him all the time and remind him of how far he's come. especially when he doesn't run or do as well as he used to
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: Good luck with your viewing. :heart:

KJ: Your new haircut sounds sassy and fun. WTG! :bigsmile:

stellafgus: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. You can find us again by clicking on the blank star at the top of the page. It will turn yellow. After that, you find us by clicking on the gray star. :smiley:

Barbie: I'm going to have to get a bareback pad to cushion myself from Arrow's boney back. Ouch. I think it is a toss up as to whose bones inflicted more discomfort on the other. :embarassed: (The bareback work is needed for improving my balance & core strength. Yoga is also a big help in this skill-set.)

Pip: Is there a training course for therapy dogs? When my mom was in an assisted living facility we took our previous dog in to visit. The dog was still a pup & too young to be around frail elderly people. She liked to jump up on people. Our current old boy would be stellar in the job. He's been wonderful with the grandchildren, no matter how young and grabby they are. All the dogs in our family are seniors now. In fact, all but one is ten years old. The eldest dog in the family belongs to DDIL. He is closer to 16 & is on daily dialysis at home. :star:

Yoga today! Yay!!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

a good thing to start for a dog is basic manners then get him to pass the CGC course (canine good citizen). we went thru the Pet Partners program, you can google it. we had to get him re-re-registered every 2 years, go thru the tests n all. you can google the cgc process and tests in your area.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Advice needed! as everyone knows we moved from Minnesota to Arizona because of my Lymes disease and that my husband could possibly transfer jobs. As you know the job transfer did not happen. He is still looking for full-time work but he did file for Social Security benefits starting in January. I have been retired since November 2012 and have a very difficult time with brain fog and malaise. I on the other hand could get a teaching position very easily here as they are over 1300 teachers short for this school year. I also am licensed in math and science which are sought after fields of expertise. Just for the heck of it I have been applying online and several schools are interested in me. I'm not sure if I can physically or mentally work a full-time job because of my illness. I substituted after my retirement and ended up with migraines almost every day that I did. Mainly because if you are not the classroom teacher students that are disrespectful for their normal teacher will act out generally for a substitute as well as students that don't usually act up will try to see what they could get away with. I have excellent classroom management skills but it always seemed as though I was in a battle. I actually hate substituting. There is also an opportunity to teach English to online Chinese students. The problem with that is it is from 3:30 AM to 7:30 AM my time. We really don't need the extra money. Working would be mainly for healthcare since we decided that we would not pay $1300 a month for insurance. My DH will be eligible for Medicare in one year next December. I have five more years before I can collect Medicare. So, to work or not to work that is the question!

Mary from Arizona
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Rye Ouch! Hope you feel better soon.

grogers511 wrote: »
    Yvonne - I made the English Muffin from a recipe I found online. Only took a couple of minutes. I have a Corningwsre dish - 4 inch square. I melted a tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Added 3 Tablespoons of almond flour, 1/2 tablespoon of coconut flour, 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, a pinch of salt, and an egg. Mixed it all together. Let it sit s few seconds to thicken uo. Then microwaved it for 90 seconds. Let it cool a little. Split it and toasted it in my toaster. While it was toasting I used the same 4 inch dish and added scrambled egg and chopped sausage patty. Cooked a minute. Flipped, added shredded cheese and cooked another 30 seconds.

I've made a few of these "muffins" to store in the fridge and toast as needed. Then I can use them as sandwich buns too.

This low carb Muffin has 7g carbs and 3.5g fiber. The original Thomas English Muffin has 25g carbs and 1g fiber. The difference in carbs/fiber is worth making my own.

--Ginger in Texas

Ginger and Yvonne Neato! This English Muffin is a variation of an Atkins MIM (Muffin in a Minute)! - the originial MIM recipe calls for flax meal and baking powder, but people do use almond and coconut flour and make MIMs savory or sweet. I imagine this version comes out like an English Muffin because you use baking soda instead of baking powder. If you Google the term Muffin in a Minute, you will find tons of variations. Some people think they are too eggy or too heavy, but I like them. If you want a taller muffin (not flat like an English Muffin), it's important to use very fresh baking powder so it will "rise" while cooking.

Cauliflower Crust Another great low carb alternative! You gals are rockin' this low carb approach. Not that that's the only way to lose weight, of course. I had great cauliflower pizza crust success once and then two epic failures so I order them now from Amazon or from this website: https://www.califlourfoods.com

Kelly LOL! Elephant poop. Of course, if any of them grow up to be overweight adults and join MFP, they can go to this link to find out how much an elephant penis weighs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/660835/ive-lost-an-elephant-penis/p1

Felicia What a cute little zoologist! Adorable.

Katla One therapy dog course is AKCGoodDog. There are others. Our Bailey failed to become a therapy dog because he screamed every time he was brushed. LOL! Bad dog.

Mary I think you should become a personal trainer. You could work when you wanted, make decent money, satisfy your teaching desire, and help people...you could also be a life coach...just sayin'. I don't know what training/credentials you would need, but you'd be excellent at both.

Karen in Virginia
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ I would do the online teaching job! I did a long term sub for an expecting teacher for 4 month and it was OK with the exception that my style of teaching and class management was completely opposite of hers. I think the students eventually fell into my ways. The next year I tried subbing and quit after discovering that it was like baby sitting which I hated.

JMHO ~ Carol in GA
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mary is there any chance you could find a part-time teaching job? I totally agree with you about subbing, it is tough!!Margaret is an angel for being so good at it. I could never sub. but is it possible to work part time at a school with a routine, not as much pressure, but a routine? I don't know about tutoring in the middle of the night! Yeesh, that doesn't sound easy. Keep looking, like you say, the teacher shortage should work in your favor, you might be able to arrange your own job!

Barbie my DH and I often go out on "errand dates", he really likes them cause he's lousy at shopping. We do have similar styles of shopping, keep it short and stick to the list!

Heather I'm trying to find your DIL's ted talk, help!!

NYKAREN
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Felicia- Is your son the little "scientist" in the orange (I think he was wearing orange)? You are right, all the kids were cute. I love to see kids talking about what they want to be when they grow up and why. And that building set is AWESOME! Sometimes I wish I had older kids all day every day. I would love to get kits like this and work on them with my kids. I am going to pass the link along to my daycare families, though. I have many former daycare kids that would love something like this.

No. He's the last one, in the striped shirt, who wants to be a zoologist. I was annoyed that he wouldn't look at them when he was talking. One of my pet peeves. I'm always having to turn him around and whisper to him, "Look at people when you talk to them." My oldest son took the youngest out trick or treating and texted me to say that his "social anxiety disorder is crippling him." Well. That's a little extreme. He is very shy around people he doesn't know, but I wouldn't say he has a social anxiety disorder. He just didn't want to go to houses with their lights off. Well, duh.

And the Piper is amazing. My youngest got it for Christmas last year and had it put together that afternoon. And now that it's built, he can play Minecraft on it. Lol

This weather is so cold! I know we'll get used to it, but these first few mornings are killers.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon