November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @runsonespresso That is just awful. It’s scary that a 12 year has to be in a position to either shoot himself (purpose or accident) or be shot and too scared to talk about by who. Very very sad.
    @garygse I hope the sleeve helps the shin.
    @ddmom0811 ha ha stop reading books ha ha
    I’m with you @karllundy today was 37F and I had on shorter capris and I long sleeve, I made the mistake of putting a tank under the long sleeve would have been fine without it. Gotta have the gloves though ha ha I’ll give up my hat way before I give up my gloves. Actually I seldom wear a hat I’m a headband kinda girl.

My new hero - seriously 100 miler at a 7:38 pace, and her first 100 miler.

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/11/camille-herron-100-mile-world-record-holder-interview.html

by the way if you read this article, please make a note of the "shorts" the guy in the picture at the starting line is wearing. Some things cannot be unseen ha ha. Also check out the look the 2 guys to Camille's right are giving her, the WTF are YOU doing here or maybe they are dumbfounded by the shorts too.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    11/01 - REST
    11/02 - REST
    11/03 - 1.95
    11/04 - 8
    11/05 - REST
    11/06 - 4.7
    11/07 - 2.5 (uggg, treadmill)
    11/08 - 5
    11/09 - REST
    11/10 - Cross training: Bodypump and CX Works + 10 minutes on treadmill walking with steep incline.
    11/11 - 9.85
    11/12 - REST
    11/13 - 5
    11.14 - 2.75

My first run with my Vivoactive 3 AND my first run without headphones. The calorie burn definitely seems more accurate than the Samsung app on my phone. I've been manually checking the Runner's World calorie burner with my stats after each run, and it's much closer to what Garmin spit out today--enough that I can just trust that data.

I was surprised that running without headphones, at least for the shorter run, didn't feel agonizing and I still got to be in my own head enough. Now to actually figure out how the watch works and get it customized how I want. It's a bit more complex than my previous watch, but I'm just excited to have one again!

Thanks all for the advice on doing the full trail vs. not. If after the HM I want to go for the full, I'll probably do the back half of the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Full Marathon plan and aim for a Feb 25 in southern Colorado where it's not as snowy. I'm afraid if I don't have an objective in mind, I won't be as committed. I'm spying some shorter trail races like that one in Larkspur and such. We'll see how it goes. I had a coworker tell me I should take a break from training after the HM, but the Novice 1 HM plan is not that different from the Novice 1 Full plan, and it seems like I'd be picking up right where I am. I'm still not sure I want to run for that long, but who knows. I will know soon enough what I'll want to do. Mostly I just want to keep on running.

• fitoverfortymom
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    bjderhak wrote: »
    @karllundy and @MNLittleFinn and everyone else running in actual winter weather... you are all much stronger than me. lol. Ill keep my Florida winters and cold mornings at 65. You dont even wanna know how I dress when its below 60 :D

Haha. Me too!! It was 53 out yesterday morning and I had gloves because my hands were so cold. I had a long sleeve tech shirt and capri length shorts on but ran back to get gloves. Such a wimp , I am.

It was 43 here when I did my run. A little chilly at first, but fine with just tights, tshirt, and quarter zip jacket. Didn't even wear my headband.

The Colorado in me REALLY wants to embrace running in the cold. The rest of me loathes the idea of ever being slightly uncomfortable out of my personal temperate zone. It's a struggle.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @ddmom0811 – My birthday is in March. The 502 is a holdover employee number from where I worked many years ago. Although I’ve been gone from there over 10 years, I worked there for 17 years so it stuck. I got new Brooks Ghost 10’s earlier this month and I love, love, love them!
    @midlomel1971 – I highly recommend the Richmond HM and M. It’s very well organized, great aid stations and the residents are outside their homes cheering everyone on.
    @juliet3455 – I did a 50K this past March (Peyton’s Wild n Wacky 50k) and they had boiled potatoes. I didn’t eat any but they seemed quite popular. First time I had ever seen them at an aid station.
    @runsonespresso – Sad and scary about the shooting where you were running. Glad you stayed safe.

Running rest day for me today. My workplace offers classes at lunch and after work so I’m heading to a couple of those at lunch today.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for November

11/1 5 miles - 5
    11/2 8 miles - 13
    11/3 REST DAY
    11/4 11.5 miles - 24.5
    11/5 REST DAY
    11/6 Lightening (no running)
    11/7 8 miles - 32.5
    11/8 4.75 miles - 37.25
    11/9 8 miles - 45.25
    11/10 REST DAY
    11/11 14 miles -59.25
    11/12 REST DAY
    11/13 7 miles - 66.25
    11/14 10 miles - 76.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Another dreary day. Super dreary. Argh. I won't be able to run until probably 6:30 or 7, so it will have long been dark. I will remind myself that I enjoyed running in the dark again last night (it's been awhile) and that it's not too late to run. Our temps are pretty much hanging out in the 50s.

@girlinahat Good luck with your 3 month plan :)

@BruinsGal_91 I definitely wouldn't need all those clothes for 20-30F. I would normally wear short sleeve under a jacket and one pair of thicker tights. The only time I wore sweatpants over tights and 3 layers on top it was 6F and I think it was windy. I was miserable and my skin felt so cold when I undressed it was kind of scary. We don't have enough super cold days here to invest in a lot of cold weather running gear so I think this winter I'll skip running in super cold temps, knowing it'll probably be back to 30-50F a few days later :-p
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom - that larkspur race I showed you pictures of might be a good bridge between road and trail. Nothing too terribly technical - providing you don't pick the one year with 12 inches of snow... like I did... but they have a variety of distances to pick from as well - 4mike, 8 mile, 25k, and 50k.

This must be the one? https://www.coloradorunnerevents.com/Greenland/.

Are you in CO?

By May 5 I could definitely do the 8miler, if not the 25k. That gives me a good chunk of any good weather we have this winter to do long runs on trails (I am right along the foothills so it's just a short drive). Trails aren't practical during the week, but totally doable on weekends. Plus, hubby got a new mountain bike and then we can co-activity (he hates running, and bumpy biking makes my lady parts no bueno). It's a La Nina year, which supposedly means less snow anyway. SO MANY IDEAS.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you made me look didn't you?

just....chafage.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn - I think that the quantity vs. quality argument is there in road racing too. I personally feel like I get the most out of those really hard workouts, so I keep my overall mileage lower and focus on getting in really good speed sessions (when I am actually training, that is :) ). But I also know plenty of runners who consistently bang out 60-80 mpw and perform great in races too. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what works best for you.
    Yeah. I'm hoping that this training cycle helps me figure that out. Since trail doesn't pound you as much as road, you can kind of get away with lower mileage in training, if you are willing to suffer during the race.....
    ...... I had decent mileage (mid 50s per week) for my 100k, which wasn't really any more than for my marathons. My max for 100 miles will be similar, but a greater emphasis on the quality, from the get go. I know I could have been better prepared for my 100k, but it wasn't too bad, so I'm thinking that the programming for 100 miles should be good.

Yeah for me, I am all about more miles for a couple reasons:

1) Simplicity. I do not need a track, a measured course, or really anything beyond my iPhone (though I do have a Garmin 935). In a pinch do not really even need that, just be impossible to log much in the way of accurate anything without it.

2) Flexibility. I look at the clock and say, "I got couple hours - lets hit the hilly course" or "I got 90 mins tops, run the 6-8 mile flatter loop an get back on time" -- If I had set workouts, I could not flex like that as easily.

3) Slap on an audiobook and go. Once your left-right-left-right starts you do not really have to worry much about what you are doing, you can just enjoy the run.

Now I do sometimes do random unscheduled unmeasured sprints midrun and sometimes do "fast finish" (where you pick up the pace for the last mile or 3). But I always decide to do those on the fly while running.

Others like the fancy workouts. I am sure they are great, and I would probably gain a lot for them, but if I had to do them... I would probably give up running. The "get out there and just go" is the why I do this. Anything that takes away from that is a bad thing (TM).

IMO, IME, YMMV, and all other disclaimers apply. :lol:

Wow. I am actually able to read some posts and make comments. LOL So ^^^^^ this is what I am more about these days. I am constantly making my specific attack at the workout for the day after I run the first mile. Well, lately I have been. There was a time where I said, today I am doing a tempo run. I have to get 3 miles in at between 7:00-7:15 min/mi pace. Now today it's more like, what do I have in me today? lol I guess I am getting older. It's harder for an almost 46 year old to try some of these preset workouts. I'm at the point where I am just trying to get back to where I was last year. Lot's of fartleks nowadays. That's basically where you start out at an easy run then just decide to pick up the pace for a few yards. Like, OK, from here to that light post I am gonna hit it a bit harder. OK, slow down and rest for a bit, ok now from here to that mailbox I am gonna hit it harder, ok, slow down and catch my breath... and so on. That type of workout is great for those trying to get back to where they were after taking a long break, as well as the total beginner that learned to put in lots of miles and now wants to learn how to add speed workouts in.

I never got into the heart rate monitor workouts. I have a HRM. I kind of understand the concept. But just never went by that. I instead went by feel. I also didn't like the marks that my HRM left on my chest. I never did a "track workout" either. I wanted to get to the point to do like 800m intervals or 400m repeats. But never fit it in. Right now, I don't think my muscles could take a workout like that right now. I need to start out with more fartleks as well as strides (or bursts) workouts for now.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @runsonespresso That is just awful. It’s scary that a 12 year has to be in a position to either shoot himself (purpose or accident) or be shot and too scared to talk about by who. Very very sad.
    I’m with you @karllundy today was 37F and I had on shorter capris and I long sleeve, I made the mistake of putting a tank under the long sleeve would have been fine without it. Gotta have the gloves though ha ha I’ll give up my hat way before I give up my gloves. Actually I seldom wear a hat I’m a headband kinda girl.

http://www.irunfar.com/2017/11/camille-herron-100-mile-world-record-holder-interview.html

by the way if you read this article, please make a note of the "shorts" the guy in the picture at the starting line is wearing. Some things cannot be unseen ha ha. Also check out the look the 2 guys to Camille's right are giving her, the WTF are YOU doing here or maybe they are dumbfounded by the shorts too.

I have a high school friend that was there when she crossed the finish line. He didn't run the full 100 but part of it.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Help. I'm floundering. I haven't run a single step this week.

My mojo moved on. My get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. My drive took a dive.

I set out to lose weight. I accomplished that and am maintaining. I set out to do C25K, C210K, and HM. I accomplished that. But I am so tired of solo efforts.

Sorry to vent.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    11/1 = 10 miles
    11/2 = strength training
    11/3 = 5 miles
    11/4 = 19 miles
    11/5 = rest day
    11/6 = 4.5 miles and strength training
    11/7 = 8.5 miles
    11/8 = rest day
    11/9 = 6 miles
    11/10 = Vinyasa yoga class
    11/11 = 13 miles (New Braunfels Half)
    11/12 = 6 miles
    11/13 = Kettlebell strength training
    11/14 = 6 miles

Brrrrrrrr you guys! I think this delicate southern flower would shrivel up and die of hypothermia just thinking about running in some of the temps you guys are talking about. And what is this "snow" everyone keeps mentioning? LOL! For once, the weather is amazing in Texas right now. Breezy, balmy, and 63 degrees as the sun came up. I love running this morning. :)

@Teresa502 Congrats on the race and I am so sorry to hear about your two friends.

77/175 (November goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

That is so funny...I just came here to post this! So amazing, especially with her injury history. A couple of my friends ran the 50 miler last year and one of them did the 100 this year. Supposedly a really easy course, but holy moly, a 7:38 pace for 100 miles? And stopping 80 miles in to drink a beer? Definitely my hero! FWIW, here is the article I first read:

http://www.flotrack.org/article/63241-camille-herron-shatters-100-mile-world-record-by-running-7-38-pace#.Wgsc_lWnHcs
  • girlinahat
    Options
    welcome @TabbyCat444 - be warned, this thread moves quickly!!!
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @WandaVaughn - are there any running clubs local to you? Most of my running is done solo, but I am also a member of an off-road club. We run from a different pub in different locations each week, and there's a short and a long run. It's a social run, no one gets left behind, but it's a good way to run with others and find out what might be possible - many of my club members have done serious ultras, and often there'll be a FB post suggesting a weekend run.....of around 20-25 miles up a mountain or something. I aspire to join them one day.

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh....I think that one guy in the gray beanie is definitely questioning the other guy's "shorts"!!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn you are having "I accomplished my HM goal" what do I do. It really is a mental letdown after you finish something you've been training for even if you do great like you did. I would do what I call "fake it until I make it", literally making myself go out to run at least a few days a week with a goal in mind, a small goal, like 3 miles at a slow and easy pace. You'll see eventually you'll get it back. What makes the HSV HM hard (at least it was for me) is that that mental letdown feeling happened with the colder weather which makes it harder to get out there on days as it is. Hang in there!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Help. I'm floundering. I haven't run a single step this week.

My mojo moved on. My get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. My drive took a dive.

I set out to lose weight. I accomplished that and am maintaining. I set out to do C25K, C210K, and HM. I accomplished that. But I am so tired of solo efforts.

Sorry to vent.

You're a Huntsville area person, right? There are some great group runs that may help. Mine are early morning risers (5:15 AM on Tuesday from Brueggers Bagels on Hughes in Madison & Panera Pounders leaving Bridge Street at 5:15 AM on Thurs and Sat near Panera Bread). They all have various lengths and paces. There are also a bunch more that you can find on the We Run Huntsville & Run256 Facebook groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Werunhuntsville/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Run256