Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you @Teresa502 - what a poignant race for you all <3

@BruinsGal_91 that chart is bananas. All that gear for -6 :D

@MNLittleFinn me, OCD about my running? Whatchu talking bout Willis :p

Took yesterday off on the advice of coaching. Was suggested to me today I could cut down to ideal race weight and maintain there rather than at 5-7lbs above ideal even though its *technically* under 18.5 BMI for potentially better speed gains. Pondering :/

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18
    November 8- 19
    November 9- 18
    November 10- 28+6
    November 11- 38
    November 12- 20
    November 13- Off
    November 14- 19

314/500km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 18
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    ??? Sinister 7 100 Mile, TBA July
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB we both have the run obsession....

.... speaking of weight, my nutritionist told me I'm at a good BMI at 21.6, but I still feel fat at times..... Guess I need to work on just getting stronger, then I won't think about the weight...LOL

If you can be healthy at ideal weight, why not go for it? Oh, how did you/she come up with ideal race weight? That's something I've wondered about.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

.... speaking of weight, my nutritionist told me I'm at a good BMI at 21.6, but I still feel fat at times..... Guess I need to work on just getting stronger, then I won't think about the weight...LOL

If you can be healthy at ideal weight, why not go for it? Oh, how did you/she come up with ideal race weight? That's something I've wondered about.

I haven't read it, just aware the book exists; but Matt Fitzgerald has a book (and also a separate cookbook) called Racing Weight:

http://racingweight.com/help/books.html
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I haven't read it, just aware the book exists; but Matt Fitzgerald has a book (and also a separate cookbook) called Racing Weight:

yeah. I used the calculator on his website, it told me I could lose 7 pounds.... that would actually still be in the healthy BMI range for my height.....
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

yeah. I used the calculator on his website, it told me I could lose 7 pounds.... that would actually still be in the healthy BMI range for my height.....

Yes like @Stoshew71 suggests she is following Fitzgerald on that one. The calculator gives me the same number she did (124lbs) and my best times on 42.2 were actually run when I weighed 125 rather than 130 so I think she is probably correct. I think I'm just going to get it done even though it sucks to realize I can still cut more :/ .

She made a good point re: Shalane Flanagan and her *maybe* 15% bf at NYC- you want to be the best you can be it has to cost somewhere. I'm sitting at 18-19% bf so I could definitely go down and be fine imo, its not like we want more kids anyway. First world running problems right here :D
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Did you play with the numbers on this site? I went out and looked at it and I put it at 139 lbs and it gave me a weight 7 lbs lighter, when I left everything alone and moved the weight down to 120 lbs it told me to lose 5 more lbs. Seemed weird to me. So my ideal weight is 132 if I'm 139 now and 115 if I'm 120 now.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    bjderhak wrote: »
    @karllundy and @MNLittleFinn and everyone else running in actual winter weather... you are all much stronger than me. lol. Ill keep my Florida winters and cold mornings at 65. You dont even wanna know how I dress when its below 60 :D

Haha. Me too!! It was 53 out yesterday morning and I had gloves because my hands were so cold. I had a long sleeve tech shirt and capri length shorts on but ran back to get gloves. Such a wimp , I am.

I wore a tank top and shorts yesterday. It was like 87 when I left the house.
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Did you play with the numbers on this site? I went out and looked at it and I put it at 139 lbs and it gave me a weight 7 lbs lighter, when I left everything alone and moved the weight down to 120 lbs it told me to lose 5 more lbs. Seemed weird to me. So my ideal weight is 132 if I'm 139 now and 115 if I'm 120 now.

If you move the weight down, then you should also move the body fat % down too. That may stabilize the results to be more realistic. Did you give that a shot?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

If you move the weight down, then you should also move the body fat % down too. That may stabilize the results to be more realistic. Did you give that a shot?

This is what I was going to say.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn and @Stoshew71 I did that too. I just seemed weird to me that the lighter I am the lighter it wants me to be. Not that I can what it says because I'm a firm believer you can be 110 and in horribly unfitness and 180 and be very fit.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn and @Stoshew71 I did that too. I just seemed weird to me that the lighter I am the lighter it wants me to be. Not that I can what it says because I'm a firm believer you can be 110 and in horribly unfitness and 180 and be very fit.

He probably has some body fat goal, combined with the fitness level you say and your eating habits... proprietary formula, bla blah blah... you know
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    11/11 -2.25 mi
    11/12 -1.5 mi plus 1 mi jog (didn't count jog) fastest mile yet (but fell apart on last .5 mi)
    11/13 -1.5 mi plus 1 hr strength training and 25 min on stationary bike (5.3 mi)
    11/14 -1.5 mi plus 1 hr zumba
    6.75/35

It's really getting cold... 29 this am, 42 by the time I ran. Had to wear a neck gaiter to warm my air- and my lungs were still burning when I stopped. Not sure how much longer I'll be able to run outside.
    I'm really pleased with my run today. I was only 13 sec slower than my fastest pace, and this time I maintained speed through the whole 1.5 (instead of sprinting the first mile and slowing way down on the last .5)

I also got to use our snazzy new digital scale, and it showed that I've lost 2.4 lbs since I started here on 11/4!
    Here's my inaccurate ticker:

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn I would think you need a new goal, like PR in 5k or 10k and then a training plan to meet the goal. You did great when you were working toward your HM.
  • bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 ive seen those charts and they make me laugh. for one.. the highest temp listed in 50f. Which is usually the LOWEST ive ever ran in and in that case i would be wearing running tights, shirt and a pullover or zip up running shirt. Also gloves and a hat. haha Much of the time im in nothing but a sports bra and shorts(along with nearly every other woman out there) . obv all the men around just go shirtless. This is the first thing I noticed when I was in Vegas in sept. Even tho it was pretty warm, most runners on the strip were "fully dressed" so to speak. I guess down here we just dont value clothing as much :D:D At my 10k this past sunday the announcer said that we were all going to get some good times since the temps were a "cool 71"

@juliet3455 i understand the tourist comment... lol we are the same way here in the winter. All the locals are bundled up and the tourists are wearing shorts.. or <gasp> swimming! when its only 70 degrees out.

If anyone wants to get out of the cold, youre welcome to come down and hang with me :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options

He probably has some body fat goal, combined with the fitness level you say and your eating habits... proprietary formula, bla blah blah... you know

Didn't you know that 87.4% of all Internet percentages and statistics are estimated WAG's?

• skippygirlsmom
    edited November 2017
    Options

Didn't you know that 87.4% of all Internet percentages and statistics are estimated WAG's?

ha ha @Stoshew71 or as I tell Skip that is an ASStimate or ASStat...meaning I pulled that info out of my *kitten*.

@bjderhak a couple years ago Skip and I ran in a 15K in New Port Richey on Thanksgiving in shorts and tanks, most others had on long sleeves and long tights, it was like 60F. ha ha
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Ok, trying to catch up. After my HM Sunday morning we had a rather large party at our place Sunday afternoon with a ton of people so I pretty much got out of bed Monday to do two things - I'll let you figure out what they were. :wink: Not so sure a huge party is the best idea after a HM but I survived both. My left leg is still really sore - I think because a few miles in the middle of the course was on a pretty good slant with my left leg hitting lower than my right. Anyway, hope to get back to running just a bit tomorrow.
    bjderhak wrote: »
    Congrats to all the racers today!!
    I ran a 10k race in St Augustine today as well. Was a little disappointed, finished about 2 minutes slower than my goal :( Trying to remind myself that I have been training for a marathon, and the 10k was just for fun. It's still hard not to get competitive with yourself. I havent been doing much for speed work, so trying to run 6.2 miles fast has me feeling more exhausted than my regularly scheduled long runs.

I feel the same way - trying to run fast always seems to actually make me run slower. I have a hard time remembering one goal at a time!
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for all the kind welcome words and I love the before/after pictures! Amazing and very inspirational.

I ran the Richmond HM on Saturday. Cold start but it’s a great course with lots of cheering spectators along the way. I finished in 2:19 and was happy with that time compared to some hilly HMs that I’ve ran lately. It was bittersweet trip. At my best friend’s suggestion, there were 5 of us who registered to run the full at the first of this year. She and I ran it in 2014 and this was the 40th anniversary so why not do it again? Tragically, she was diagnosed with cancer in March and passed away in August at the age of 48 years old. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss her but coming down that last stretch into the finish line was especially emotional for me. In addition, another one of us 5 was tragically killed in a car accident in September. Her husband ran the full in her honor. It would have been their first full marathon. I know they were both there watching over us, but dang I wish they were there in person!

Congrats on the finish but so sorry to hear about your friends. Bittersweet for sure.
    Help. I'm floundering. I haven't run a single step this week.

My mojo moved on. My get-up-and-go got-up-and-went. My drive took a dive.

I set out to lose weight. I accomplished that and am maintaining. I set out to do C25K, C210K, and HM. I accomplished that. But I am so tired of solo efforts.

Sorry to vent.

Sorry you're feeling this way. I tend to feel this way after vacations for some reason. Maybe you just need a bit of rest or to join some group workout activity in addition to some runs. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That calculator really should take into account your height. It has my racing weight at 109 lbs. That’s pretty light for someone who’s 5’8”! Admittedly I don’t know my exact body fat percentage and just estimated at 20%, so maybe that’s why.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The baby and I are visiting my mom so I had to run outside today. Everything is a hill outside. Since I'm trying to prep for the turkey trot which has a big (for me) hill, I deliberately tried to run a few more hills than usual. I immediately regretted that decision. It felt like I was climbing for miles and hours, and it was about 50 feet elevation and a few minutes. I don't have great data for my actual pace since I started MapMyRun at the beginning of my walking warm up and there were a few one minute recovery walks and then the cool down.

3.44 miles, 58 minutes