November 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    My motivation is falling along with the temperatures. Sigh. My body thermostat seems to be broken. I'm cold all the time until I have a hot flash. The thought of getting out and running amongst the frost is not appealing at all. I take a daily vitamin, so I should be getting enough iron. Is this part of menopause? Is it because I've lost a lot of "insulation" this year? Would it have anything to do with my thyroid meds? I'm confused and disappointed in myself. If I don't figure it out, this will be a loooooong winter.

@WandaVaughn I am used to be a lot better with cold. This year from losing almost 50 pounds, I am cold ALL the TIME!!! It could be the thyroid, but it could be the loss of insulation and your body just not knowing what to do. I have heard that it regulates itself back out but if you are still in the losing phase, it may take a bit. I hope you get your mojo back and some warm clothes to go with it!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @seanevan10 Ohhhh! Congratulations on the first tri registration!! Is it local? When is it? Is it a sprint? I wanna do it! Haha!

@Elise4270 Thanks! It is local. Keller. It is in March. Probably should have thought about that one a little harder as it will probably be wicked cold. (Well cold in us southern's perspective @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @sarahthes ) LOL. Come down and do it with me!!!! We could pick a few days to train together between now and then! Registration is $51 until the end of the month.

You'll hafta get a tri suite for that cold water swim. If you wanna practice in cold water there's a spring up here that's 55f year round. Check out Sulphur, Oklahoma.

55f is cold? :D:D:D you're having a laugh aren't you? That's NORMAL for here. Everyone is still swimming in the pools and lidos reporting temperatures of 8 degrees and falling.... (46F). You need to toughen up a bit!!!

Haha! The indoor pools are 82-86f!!! I turn blue in 55 degree water if I'm in it for very long! I definitely need to toughen up!

Me too!!! that is COLD! I'm such a wuss.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @seanevan10 Ohhhh! Congratulations on the first tri registration!! Is it local? When is it? Is it a sprint? I wanna do it! Haha!

@Elise4270 Thanks! It is local. Keller. It is in March. Probably should have thought about that one a little harder as it will probably be wicked cold. (Well cold in us southern's perspective @MNLittleFinn @JessicaMcB @sarahthes ) LOL. Come down and do it with me!!!! We could pick a few days to train together between now and then! Registration is $51 until the end of the month.

You'll hafta get a tri suite for that cold water swim. If you wanna practice in cold water there's a spring up here that's 55f year round. Check out Sulphur, Oklahoma.

55f is cold? :D:D:D you're having a laugh aren't you? That's NORMAL for here. Everyone is still swimming in the pools and lidos reporting temperatures of 8 degrees and falling.... (46F). You need to toughen up a bit!!!

Haha! The indoor pools are 82-86f!!! I turn blue in 55 degree water if I'm in it for very long! I definitely need to toughen up!

Me too!!! that is COLD! I'm such a wuss.

My self-imposed limit for scuba diving was 8 degrees C (46f). But with scuba you’re not really moving a lot. 55F would be a pretty standard U.K. dive, I’d get about an hour out of that*

*in a dry suit.....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Decided to take a rest day today.

@Ryokat I hardly ever take water when I run, it’s gotta be like 80F and 8+ miles. Never ever in the winter. If I keep myself hydrated I don’t get thirsty on a run.
    @eponine1984 5x5 is a great program, enjoy it.
    @ddmom0811 that is awesome first place yeah for them!
    @JessicaMcB awe how sweet – okay scary but sweet
    Ouch @Karllundy I hope it’s nothing serious
    @WandaVaughn I can tell you I’m cold all the time. When I run in this weather I’m good while running, I get in the hot shower and then I’m freezing all day long.
    @Azercord that is a beautiful picture
    Hi @ceciliaslater
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Why don't you forget the moose..... for a moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_-KXsee5vA
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    New conundrum.... run the 5k Turkey trot like I told coach I was, or join the local trail group near my mom, for their 7 mile turkey trot trail group run.......
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    New conundrum.... run the 5k Turkey trot like I told coach I was, or join the local trail group near my mom, for their 7 mile turkey trot trail group run.......

You know what my thoughts on this are- get off the road man!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    @skippygirlsmom I am so sorry to hear about your job situation. I hope it works out for you. I been in your place a few times and it ended up working out in my favor at the end. But not a fun time to go through.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

I think I know the answer to this one.....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2017

There you go again, asking questions when you already know the answer. ;)

• bjderhak
    bjderhak Posts: 51 Member
    wait a minute.... people go in water when its 55 degrees???? And live to tell??? The springs here are 72 year round. I wore a wetsuit to swim w manatees and lasted about 15 minutes. The video i posted from the boat after is all shaky cuz I couldnt get my body to stop shivering lol Yall are tougher than me :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Another schedule clash, so no run today. Sadly I ate like I did run so we will not talk about how far beyond my CICO score I went today...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

If it was me, I would do exactly what I said I was going to do, if possible. ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    @JessicaMcB @girlinahat @7lenny7 you all know me too well.... Originally, Thursday was rest and Friday was 1 hour easy run, and coach doesn't care what surface my esy runs are on, so I could have gotten in like 6.5 miles on road.... Really, we just swapped days, and a "leave no runner behind" type run can't be that hard, right???

Anyway, it really depends on my wife. She wants to do the 5k, but has a probably sinus infection, when combined with her MCTD makes for a less than pleasant time running, so we shall see.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    11/20 - .75 mile walk, 3 mile run,.5 mile walk

So my Garmin vivoactive is being weird. Last night during my cool down walk it went to an updating screen and stayed there until I popped my watch on the charger. Tonight it did the same thing at the beginning of my run :( It did record my run but I couldn't see stats the whole run. It would vibrate for each mile and briefly show my lap time then go back to updating screen. I was able to stop the run at 3 miles but couldn't hit save until I got home and did the charger thing again. Therefore I couldn't record my cool down.

I'm wondering if a factory reset would help? I like recording my warm up and cool down separately bc they are long, so I'll have to use a phone app if this keeps up.

Our weather is hanging at this really annoying 50s spot where I'm freezing while I walk but still sweating a lot while I run :s
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited November 2017
    Did my water walking for “rest” today but was really feeling crappy and super hungry but then kind of nauseous as the day went on. Don’t know if it is electrolyte imbalance, exhaustion after the fast-ish long run yesterday, or if I am getting sick. Going to foam roll out a bit and call it an early night. My Fitbit claims I got almost no deep sleep last night so maybe getting some would help.
  • MNLittleFinn

If it was me, I would do exactly what I said I was going to do, if possible. ;)

heh... I'm too trail/ultra to not consider a trail run 5k has same day registration, so I probably won't be making a decision until Wednesday, right before I go to bed.