December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    How do you all get motivation to stretch, do yoga, foam roll on non-running days or at night? I am supposed to be doing these things 2-3 times per day... I have no problem getting it in 1st thing in the morning, before a run and sometimes after but I often even put that off and later in the evening it is the last thing on my mind. Logically I know it is hurting me in the long run with the healing process for my hip and hamstring but I just can't seem to make it a priority.

This is the $64,000 question for me. Like you I seem to have more luck if I do it first thing in the morning rather than last thing at night. I am one that needs the answer to this question as much as you! The science behind habit creation though seems to point to tying a very tiny new habit (maybe just picking up the foam roller) to something that you always do already. So "As soon as I put my bag down when I walk through the front door at night, I will pick up my foam roller." If you then actually do some foam rolling, great! If not, you are still creating a connection in your brain that will hopefully stick.

Unfortunately for me all this is still mostly theoretical :blush: With that, I am going to go do my PT in front of the TV while my family is watching a movie. :smile: Thanks for the motivation.
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 7 - 16 km run
    December 8 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 9 - 16 km run / 11 km run
    December 10 - 5 km club run / 16 km walk

135 km - goal 350 km
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I will update my log soon, but I am completely thrilled that I completed my HM today. I ran it in exactly 2:15 and finished 13th in my age group. I was within 10 seconds of 10th place, also! The last 1.5 were tough until the last .25 and I knew I had it. Was fortunate to pace with a few folks, and that helped mentally. A few folks were using me to pace themselves!!

Came home and napped and now I feel like I got hit by a truck, but had the forethought to toss some dinner in the slow cooker before the race.

I am so over the moon about it and so thankful I stuck with the plan (Hal Higdon Novice 1) and have this group. I am also 1000x thankful I did even minimal speed work during training, had some hills on my regular routes, and brought my own water. Those three things set me apart from the pack I was with most of the race.

I also made sure I was fueled properly, and that made a huge difference. I doubled what had been my typical long run fare, and munched some sport beans along the way. Didn't fatigue like I did on my 12 miles last weekend.

Woot! You totally nailed it. Congratulations.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    10 km Walk run with two of the Ladies in our local club. Beautiful day for December, 3C and SunShine.
    Gloves came off at 4 km and coat was unzipped for ventilation/cooling.
    I have been struggling so far this winter and today was also a struggle. Sat down for coffee and a gossip session after. When I got up to leave I was starting to stiffen up. Since getting into running it's the first time I ever felt stiff after a 10k run. Hitting the FR.

12/03 9.5 km – 146.03 km - MTD 009.5 km
    12/04 6.94km – 139.09 km - MTD 016.44km
    12/09 10.08km – 129.01 km - MTD 026.52km – YTD 1270.79 km Manzer Road

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I just read the list of foods I could see at Zumbro. With cheese quesadillas, I might be the first person ever to gain 10 pounds during a 100 mile ultra.

See this element of ultraing is lost on me :/ . But then again I like running the ascents too so I'm odd man out :D
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom FANTASTIC! Congratulations - awesome time!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I will update my log soon, but I am completely thrilled that I completed my HM today. I ran it in exactly 2:15 and finished 13th in my age group. I was within 10 seconds of 10th place, also! The last 1.5 were tough until the last .25 and I knew I had it. Was fortunate to pace with a few folks, and that helped mentally. A few folks were using me to pace themselves!!

Came home and napped and now I feel like I got hit by a truck, but had the forethought to toss some dinner in the slow cooker before the race.

I am so over the moon about it and so thankful I stuck with the plan (Hal Higdon Novice 1) and have this group. I am also 1000x thankful I did even minimal speed work during training, had some hills on my regular routes, and brought my own water. Those three things set me apart from the pack I was with most of the race.

I also made sure I was fueled properly, and that made a huge difference. I doubled what had been my typical long run fare, and munched some sport beans along the way. Didn't fatigue like I did on my 12 miles last weekend.

W00T!!! CONGRATS!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Kaitlyn is amazing!

Humbling to think she could have run an extra mile AND STILL BEAT ME.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - 10.1 miles @ 9:21
    12/06 - 10 miles @ 9:24
    12/07 - Strength + 7 miles @ 9:14
    12/08 - Nada
    12/09 - Nada

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

None running check-in. As expected, December is proving to be too busy to get out and run. Still hopeful for a longish run tomorrow, but with how far behind I am in sleep AND how much I have to do tomorrow... it is not looking promising.

In other news, my slot on the Strava leaderboard is up for grabs... :lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I just read the list of foods I could see at Zumbro. With cheese quesadillas, I might be the first person ever to gain 10 pounds during a 100 mile ultra.

See this element of ultraing is lost on me :/ . But then again I like running the ascents too so I'm odd man out :D

Scott Jurek was known to down entire bean burritos while going full bore downhill.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51
    12/2 5.00
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4.25
    12/5 5.87
    12/6 4.30
    12/7 3.25
    12/8 rest
    12/9 6.01

Total 32.19

Fabulous! @fitoverfortymom !

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom - Woot Woot!! Congratulations! Awesome job!
    2:15 is my PR time in the HM I am running a week from today. I don't think there is any chance I can hit that this time though.

@RunsOnEspresso - thanks for the link to the recovery yoga! Now I just have to work them into my schedule and actually do them... some how create that lin kin my brain that @hjeppley describes with the motivation from @fitoverfortymom. If I focus on the good it is going to do maybe I will pick up that foam roller more often to make it a habit!
    @Elise4270 - great run!! I think anyway - how do you feel now? How is the hip?
    @katharmonic - love that meme!

I totally messed up our weekend schedule thinking an event was this morning when it is actually tomorrow. So I wasted this morning going somewhere I didn't need to be and not getting in a long run. We have to be there tomorrow morning so the long run I planned for tomorrow is out now too... I did go out and run tonight once the sun went down and it had cooled to 75F. The winds actually felt good until I had to run against them :) I guess I will just call this taper for the HM next Saturday that I am not trained for so don't really need a taper at all.. what I really needed was a good long run - ugh! The good news is it is supposed to be cooler next weekend with a high mid 70's so it should be good during the race. I am really hoping the humidity comes back up too - single digit is just too dry!
    Date........Miles.......Total
    12/01......5.24........5.24 - Sleeping, running and wine tasting!
    12/02......2.60........7.84 - Dog park
    12/03......6.00......13.84 - more sleeping, running and wine tasting!
    12/04......0.00......13.84 - Driving :( + Agility
    12/05......4.37......18.21 - Birthday Intervals + Strength Training
    12/06......0.00......18.21
    12/06......0.00......18.21 - +Strength Training
    12/07......0.00......18.21
    12/08......5.41......23.62
    12/09......4.45......28.07

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run

12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »

@katharmonic I am with you on the semester break strategy. I always seem to do well then and then things (usually yoga) falls apart once things get busy again.

I had a really good run in DC a number of years ago when I stayed in Arlington for a grant panel. I met some random military guy when I was out running (probably not my best idea in hindsight) who showed me the trails on Theodore Roosevelt Island. Another year I walked my luggage from Dupont Circle all the way down to the airport past the Jefferson Memorial. That was a pretty cool route as well. I have this weird penchant for walking to and from airports--did it in San Francisco once too...

Thanks @hjeppley. I was thinking Roosevelt Island for another option, that sounds good. Not sure exactly how much time I'll actually have when it comes down to it, but I can make grand plans. I think I'll skip running to or from the airport :) Might be faster to walk to the airport than drive it in DC though.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I had a very hard time making myself get out and run. I decided to go try 2-3 miles, maybe walk if I had too. I really wanted DH to go with me. Last week's run was so hard, falling and tripping so often, I was gun shy.

He wanted to run 5-6.... Ok I could suck it up. I kept thinking I'd get hurt and have to be carried out of the park, not being found for hours, in the cold... I'm messed up in the head after all this, such a wuss

The hip was fine the entire run. I've learned to keep my strides short and pace about 12. My foot is what bothered me most. I'm stiffer this morning than usual, and will just be sure to rest a few days before attempting to run again.

Thanks for all your support!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    01/12 4.13 miles
    05/12 4.14 miles - really enjoyed this run, felt I was able to push a little harder.
    06/12 3.53 miles - windy, wet, dark, sluggish - everything yesterday wasn't
    10/12 4.04 miles

exercise.png

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 32/90 km

10/12/17 Run 6 km
    9/12/17 rest day
    8/12/17 Walk 5 km
    7/12/17 walk 10 km
    6/12/17 Run 8 km
    5/12/17 Run 6 km
    4/12/17 Run 6 km
    3/12/17 Walk 5 km
    2/12/17 rest day
    1/12/17 6 km
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom Congrats on an awesome HM PR!!!

So, to all you ultra runners out there...hydration packs.

I love distance running, and my lofty goal for 2018 is to work my way up to running through the night (Friday night through Saturday morning), which means potentially looking at long runs ultimately in the 50-mile region or so (hey, lofty goal for me, @JessicaMcB :smile:).

That means I'm going to need a decent hydration pack. For my training through this past Texas summer, I didn't carry any water, and would instead rely on water fountains and a gel every 5-8 miles or so. However, longer distance will mean a hydration pack and something along the lines of Tailwind will be in order.

So initial research has led me to this Salomon vest. My planned routes will still take me by water fountains so that I can refill; they'll just be fewer and far between. Also, this will still be street running and not trails, (if that would matter any). Thoughts? Chaffing issues? Issues I haven't even thought about yet? Better options?
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First paved long run in a long time because I've been doing so many trails, but decided my ankle/foot needed a break after yoga yesterday and the crazy intense trail race last weekend. Did a 12 mi loop of the nearby town's paved trail system and felt strong, averaging just under 9 min mile pace. Knees are not used to the pounding, but it was a good change of pace from the trail running. Going to do my Gymnastic Bodies stretching program this afternoon and a bit of PT as well later today.

@Elise4270 Good job getting out there despite the barriers!

Goals this month: 90 miles, maintain weight, PT and yoga, add one day of weights per week, register for spring marathon or ultra,

Day/Distance/Comments

Dec 1 Walk outside for about 30 min (rest before race)
    Dec 2 Jackson 50/50 10 mile “Fun Run” 4th female finisher in this crazy steep trail race (10.2 mi total)
    Dec 3 3.4 mi slow recovery run, PT
    Dec 4 Water walking + PT
    Dec 5 3.3 mi
    Dec 6 Rest day (unintentional!)
    Dec 7 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 8 Water walking
    Dec 9 5.5 mi + yoga + some PT
    Dec 10 12 mi + Gymnastic Bodies stretching routine + PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Done: 37.5 mi
    To go: 52.5 mi