December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Today was Biceps & Abs day. I also stuffed my face at Island's today because I found out I can eat their fries. This is a big deal for someone with celiac disease who LOVES french fries. :D
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2
    12/2 - 2.5
    12/4 - 3.3
    12/7 - 4.2
    12/9 - 7.4
    12/11 - 3.0

December total: 24.6/ ???

Snuck in a little run while my daughter was at a doctor's appointment. I was jogging laps around the parking lot for the last few minutes, when I saw a group leaving the inpatient eating disorders building and crossing the same lot. Oops.

The medical office complex has a nice little 1/3 mile path around a pond. The only downsides are the hills, the concrete, and the geese. I told the geese I was bigger than them, and they believed me. No such luck with the concrete, which is much less pleasant than my normal asphalt.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @SusanDSME yes definitely give it a try.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    So many posts behind. Recap
    Modest 100 mile run: PB at HM banging on the Gong. Lactate threshold ? - run a 10k so that the tank is empty and you want to hurl at the FL. Not on the FL or in the FL Chute they get really grumpy if you do that.
    A couple of wonky knees, been there done that dance. Take a Break and Get better my friends. Had to keep my Toes, Kneecap, Hip and Shoulder all pointing in the same direction, any one out of alignment = :s:s:'( .
    Children doing amazing at sports that they weren't sure they even wanted to play/join.
    Warm weather runners adjusting - learning how to cope/survive in colder temps.
    Some counting down until Christmas, others to the Lottery Entry day for the Ultra they want/need. That same person has a hard time counting or typing and boast's about 103 hr run in a 48 hr weekend :)B)
    To many conflicting Family, Social and Work commitments getting in the way of a nice relaxing run. I mean who in their right mind schedules Inventory count in December ? Newbies (not to be confused with Newfies) like @CiaraRebello Just joining us and having a hard time keeping up with all the posts. I like how she compared the indoor track to feeling like a Hamster - great mental image. Welcome to the group, hang on and have fun. Remember never judge your accomplishments by someone else's ruler. OH new Shirt LOGO.
    @SusanDSME 1.25 snowmiles = Wet Sandmiles = 2.5 miles minimum, especially if the snow has the least bit of fluffy give or slushy mush.
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Dang! You need to be hanging out with @JessicaMcB !
    @AlphaHowls Yes so much yes on this ^^^

11 km along River Bank Ice Covered Trails; 2C = 36F
    Trail Shoes yes ; Ice Cleats yes ; Wind Pants yes
    Tights NO ; Long Sleeve Top NO
    Short Sleeve top yes ; Light Fall Coat Yes - Vents open Yes ; Light Fall Gloves Yes
    With my Ice Cleats on it was actually easier on the feet to stay on the Ice/Snow than on the clear spots. Must have looked strange to the Dog Walkers - me intentionally turning into the Ice and Hard Packed Snow away from the clear portions of the Trail. Not fast but I was out on a beautiful warm December Evening and the only runner on the trails, usually there are the regulars but not today, did meet one runner walking his dog and he said it was just to icy for him. Will have to check the socks and heel cup on the Right Shoe as I now have a blister on that heel. I never get blisters especially from these trail shoes. I did 36km with 7 hills of 250-300m and not a mark on my feet. 11k??? Hopes it's the socks and not the Hell Cup = Bye Bye Shoes. fyi that was intentional.

12/03 9.5 km – 146.03 km - MTD 009.5 km
    12/04 6.94km – 139.09 km - MTD 016.44km
    12/09 10.08km – 129.01 km - MTD 026.52km
    12/11 11.04km – 117.97 km - MTD 037.56km – YTD 1282.83 km Riverbank Trail
    exercise.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    So, saw this and thought of a few of you... https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2017/nov/28/runners-brave-freezing-temperatures-antarctic-ice-marathon-video

Also, @JessicaMcB - when I was training for my half, the boyfriend repeatedly commented “I don’t even like driving that far” .... I now understand what he means... 100 miles? God, I was cussing driving that far today. You are a special one. :)

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oh, and PS- while I was hating my life thru squats, a fellow gym goer told someone they had burpee pull-ups to do- I had thought last month we had covered all the possible terrible ways to do burpees... I was clearly mistaken... what sadistic person comes up with these things?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    9 km in 56:45 this morning, with 74 metres of elevation. Happy with that.

@JessicaMcB Your post is confusing. Should I be happy for you completing 100 miles, or worried that you hurt your knee and were puking?

Happy. Puking happens to pretty much everyone who does a 100, from what I have heard/read. She also ran it in sub-elite time as a first timer she's going to be amazing.

Just under a 10 min mile pace it looks like. That is nuts!

9:53 pace for 100 miles to be exact. To put it in perspective, and I don't know how the courses match up with elevation, but the women's Course record at Western States is 16:47:19.

I keep telling her she's going to have to go pro, after her first 100 race, sponsors are going to come knocking..... Something I'll never have to worry about...LOL

What's that in minutes per km, @JessicaMcB ?

Decided not to do a 5K later this week. I felt like if I hadn't registered already, then I just wasn't that too jazzed to do it. Also, a Tri that my friend challenged me to in Feb (because the swim was in a pool, only way I'd do it!) is off the books, too. That just leaves the next real "goal" on my calendar in Gasparilla at the end of Feb, aiming for the 8K. This is good, now I can just get back to the joy of running to run!

@dreamer12151 Love this reasoning!

I've got no events currently booked, after feeling "evented-out" since November after the past 2 years. Events are exciting, but I'm over medals and stress.

If I do one in the near-ish future, it will be the 50km in Canberra in April I think would be epic. Nothing else appeals.

7lenny7 wrote: »
    @orphia, you can use a marathon plan for a 50K plan, just get some trail work in for your long runs, at a minimum, and get as much hill work as you can, both hill repeats and hills on your long runs, particularly towards the end.

Thanks, @7lenny7 ! I value your input. The event is actually mostly flat, around the edge of a lake.

You saw the pics of my recent 30 km. That's really the only "trails" I've got available to me... gravel made paths or grassy bitumen paths, and a few short gravel roads with hills.

Yay that you found a doctor who knows about running!

Bravo on making such a difficult but wise decision about resting the knee.

@Orphia I think the don’t comment might be gears towards a short race, though I didn’t read the article. I have been in 5Ks where people are wearing vests.

@skippygirlsmom Ah, that might have been what they were getting at! Seemed a bit off.

I've worn my vest in HMs and my marathon. I was wondering why vests also seemed to be in the minority for those events I did. Maybe because people aren't all Inspector Gadget like me and @PastorVincent :smiley: and aren't actually prepared enough.

@rheddmobile Yes, rest is so important!
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So I had no computer over the weekend but I kept running and think I am still on track for my goal. You all continue to inspire me.

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    So after my technology failure at the weekend, my run magically decided to upload after all. No idea what happened there but nice to actually be able to sift through the stats.

Apparently I did my third fastest Parkrun. Out of three. AND I ran the whole way. Oh well, clearly I’ll never get any faster.

Did a couple of Crossfit sessions. I know there’s a love/hate divide with CF but I find myself enjoying it. I’ve never been a fan of classes, but I like the variety here, and the fact that you can work on strength a bit, plus gymnastics. Also the scalability – that’s a BIG plus for me. Otherwise I’d give up due to not being able to achieve something.
    Friday’s session was a mix of pull-ups and ‘thrusters’. I can’t do a pull-up without a resistance band to help. My arms hurt a fair bit after all that. Then Sunday’s session was a long workout – a mix of power cleans and toe-to-bar – I’m guessing that’s on the way to the burpee pull-up @hanlonsk described. Basically hanging from the bar and trying to get your toes to touch the bar. For most of us it was knees. But here’s the twist with the workout. While one person was doing the power clean, two had to hold the weighted barbell. Then while one was doing the knees-up hanging from the pull-up bar, two of us had to just hang from the bar. If anyone dropped, we had to start again.

I can barely lift my arms up now……

Was excited about getting a run in this morning. Mostly because the forecast was for -4C (24F). I REALLY wanted to run in the cold. I was somewhat sad that it was only -2C. The right number of layers and my fingerless gloves with mitten covers worked well – I didn’t lose my fingertips. Worst bit was breathing cold air, and while I had a buff, I should’ve blown my nose before going out so I could nose breathe. Ah well. The drive to work was interesting - note to self, when the traffic is backed up through the town, don't take the country short cut. Icy slush is slippy slush
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Rest day
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    QUESTION:

Maybe it is just cause I am fat, old and slow... but when I have to take a bunch of days OFF in a row, the first run back is like stiff and more painful. Is that normal?

Depends on how long a bunch is and the reason for the lay off.

Reason: Life comes at you fast and steals your time to run
    Bunch: This case.. 3.

Normally I feel awesome running after that type of lay off.... but then again, running is my ONLY stress relief, so getting back to it is always a joy, so I don't notice aches or pains or stiffness.

@Orphia 6:08/km.... I need to start posting everything in Mi and Km.....
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Times are always more impressive sounding in min / km than min / mile :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5
    12/7- REST
    12/8- 8.4ish
    12/9- 9.1
    12/10- 6.6
    12/11- REST
    12/12- 4.1

Total: 65.4

Today's notes: Trail Fartlek. Today's fartlek went MUCH better than the last one. I'm still slow, but the 3 inches of untouched snow on the trail might have had something to do with that.... not so great footing, and trying to actually make sure I'm on the trail... The assignment was 15min warm up then 5x2min at 9/10 effort with 3 min recovery and 15min cool down.

This one was 5 minutes shorter than the last one, but I got 0.1 miles (161m) farther, with similar vert, maybe a little less . I probably got to 7 or 8 physical effort (HR maxed out at 173 with an average of 168 on the reps, so I could have pushed harder, but if I include having to concentrate on footing, it might have been an overall 9/10. So, not perfect, but better than the last one, that's for sure!

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles
    12/4- P90X3 Warrior
    12/5-30 min strength training +20 min stationary bike
    12/6- 5.8 miles+ P90X3 Dynamix
    12/7-6.1 miles + 25 minutes strength
    12/8- P90X3 Synergistics
    12/9- rest day
    12/10-10 miles
    12/11-5.7 miles total including 0.5 w/Stella
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

totally... I sound WAY faster.... until I remember that's only 0.62 the distance.... oops
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Thanks for verifying what I suspected! Running in the snow is a serious workout! I generally don't love running on pavement, but I may go for a deserted neighborhood of summer homes next time it snows.

@girlinahat if you want to run in the cold, come on over! We're supposed to have a high of 24 for the rest of the week.

Snowing and raining today... not a good day for a run. Stationary bike, here I come!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I was thinking I needed to put my goals in KM because it sounds way more impressive. ;)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    11/02/17 :::: 9.1 :::: 12.1
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 16.3
    11/04/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 19.4
    11/05/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 23.4
    11/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.4
    11/07/17 :::: 4.5 :::: 27.9
    11/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 27.9
    11/09/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 30.9
    11/10/17 :::: 8.8 :::: 39.7
    11/11/17 :::: 5.1 :::: 44.8
    11/12/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 48.2

Good morning! Taking advantage of time before meetings start today, I took a run around Georgetown this morning. Loved touring around and saw a lot of shops I'd like to have time to go back to (maybe tonight I can squeeze in a little shopping?). Saw Embassy Row and looped back to the Potomac River and a little bit of the (drained, under restoration) C&O canal. Could have run more, but ended purposefully at a coffee place called Blue Bottle Coffee and had a delicious mocha and an English Muffin with fresh honeycomb.

And now the work portion of my trip begins, so I better get to it. Might have time tomorrow morning for one more run before I head back home. I will definitely need to come back, there's a ton to do and see here.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm out for awhile. My knee is jacked up and life is overwhelming me.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - Burpee pull-ups? No. Regular burpees are bad enough. And push-up burpees. And frog-jump burpees. And...all the other forms of burpee torture my fitness instructors have pressed upon me. Also, I'm pretty sure I am incapable of doing a pull-up in and of itself. Lets just add in some burpee to make extra sure I can't do it. Sounds great.

Today is my last day at work until Dec. 27th. Using up my remaining vacation before the end of the year (hooray for use-it-or-lose-it policies...).

Also...I'm toying with the idea of training for another marathon. I found one on September 30th that starts about an hour from my house. It runs east along Route 66 from Commerce, OK, through SE Kansas, to Joplin, MO. Sounds intriguing...